Author Topic: Troy Director's Cut R3  (Read 5502 times)

Offline duncanfranchise

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • Collector
  • Don't think you are; know you are.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Troy Director's Cut R3
« on: Sep 03, 2007 at 01:35 AM »
The word is that we will have an R3 release for the Troy Director's Cut 2-Disc Edition.  No info yet about which edition we'll be getting, though.  I'll try to get some updates in the next few days.   :)

Offline keilu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • sōten ni zase Hyōrinmaru
  • Liked:
Re: Troy Director's Cut R3
« Reply #1 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 06:50 AM »
hmmmm........interesting. was thinking of getting the r1, but if the r3 will release an edition that will be at par with r1, will most likely get an r3 - much cheaper  ;) but i wanted the UE from the r1 - so hopefully, r3 director's cut will be the UE   :D

thanks for the update sir duncanfranchise  ;D

Offline allanmandy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2007 at 08:30 PM »
I also hope the packaging would be at par with the R1 UE.

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 07:43 AM »
lets keep our fingers crossed  :-\
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 11:06 AM »
Given that the original collector's edition of Troy is still easily available, I doubt it will be the UE.  Probably just plain 2-disc version.  Still, maybe they will have both, with the UE in limited numbers...
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 03:10 PM »
The Troy Philippine LE was a first for the local market and for Warner. Who knows? They might surprise and delight us again with a Troy UE set?

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2007 at 05:53 PM »
Warner confirmed that Troy: Director's Cut 2-disc unrated edition will be released in October. MSRP is Php499.

No word on the UE, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline allanmandy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mathematical!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2007 at 12:31 AM »
That's great news. But I still want my UE!

Offline dragonrower

• Collector
  • www.pc-experts.org
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2007 at 12:24 AM »
although the package is good, but story-wise, the review of the dir. cut is not good.

linky

despite this is a good keep as an item, im agreeing with the review that i should stick with the theatrical cut of this DVD  ;)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2007 at 12:31 AM »
Reviews are always subjective. I just watched this, and personally think it's a marked improvement over the theatrical cut, which I intend to get rid of as soon as I find a buyer.

The reviewer for DVD Talk also thinks the director's cut is better: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/review.php?ID=30134

Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline seph1018

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • DVD Guru
  • You are not your DVD/BD collection!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2007 at 12:28 PM »
well, if it works for the reviewer from DVDTalk, it works for me... ;D lucky that I didn't get the previous release...haaaay.

Now, any news on what editions will be available locally...???? UE??? ;D
... if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 10:44 PM »
Has anyone seen this out in the market yet?

I'm just curious, since with their Warner tie-up, Magic 89.9 is already giving away copies of Troy: The Director's Cut to winners of their phone-in contests.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 02:01 PM »
now available at .biz for P499..

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 02:05 PM »
Has anyone seen this out in the market yet?

I'm just curious, since with their Warner tie-up, Magic 89.9 is already giving away copies of Troy: The Director's Cut to winners of their phone-in contests.

Mr. Hankey for a time i thought you were that DJ, CJ the DJ

lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 07:54 PM »
Mr. Hankey for a time i thought you were that DJ, CJ the DJ

Why???  ???  ;D

Yeah, I already saw this disc at Astrovision earlier. Unlike the R1, though, the slipcase does not have a metallic-type finish.

No sign of the Ultimate Edition, though.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2007 at 08:11 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 09:23 PM »
I saw one at Astro Podium for 499.  Looks reasonably priced.  At another shelf the older theatrical 2-disc Troy is still selling at 895, if not mistaken.   ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2007 at 11:19 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 09:38 PM »
I saw one at Astro Podium for 499.  Looks reasonably prices.  At another shelf the older theatrical 2-disc Troy is still selling at 895, if not mistaken.   ;D

you may have seen another title.. the theatrical cut edition with slipcase is at P350.. and it's usually magnavision titles that are priced P895, not warner..
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2007 at 09:39 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 11:03 PM »
Possible, I must have been overwhelmed by all the titles at astro podium.  ;D  But I could have sworn it was on the shelves with the other full-priced warner titles like the Big Red One.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2007 at 11:15 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 11:15 PM »
895 was the price of the OLD, initial release of the 2-Disc theatrical version of this title, which doesn't have a slipcase. If they have some old stock that they haven't restickered/repriced, then that could be it.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 11:19 PM »
Oh Goody, thanks Mr. Hankey.  For a while there I thought my eyes were playing tricks again.  ;D   And yes, I also have the old 2-disc Troy and it's on 2-disc amaray.   ;D

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2007 at 03:03 AM »
tempting!

kaso when i bought the collector's ed (R3) it has the same dvd with the one with slip case.

if i get this ill have 3 troy dvds. :-\
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 at 04:50 AM by juric »
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 12:01 AM »
Bought the Director's cut last night as I am plain curious on the difference.  The added 30 minutes caused the film to occupy two discs.  But at first watching, apart from the added footages, there have been changes in the scenes as well as the musical background which is quite substantial in my opinion.  The opening lost the Gladiator like music and replaced with a bland orchestral score for strings and horns that, together with a dog in the introduction, seems to have lost the urgency of the theatrical opening scenes.  Will finish it this Sunday.  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 at 01:59 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline darth mond

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #22 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 09:00 AM »
Will buy this later after mass. anybody interested with the theatrical 2 disc version for Php150.00? ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 at 09:01 AM by darth mond »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 09:26 AM »
That's quite a steal, considering the theatrical version is said to be superior to the director's cut.  Which I can confirm so far for the first 30 minutes of viewing.  ;D  And it's still at full price at Astro as of Fri.  If they haven't re-tagged it yet.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 10:18 AM »
That's too much, considering the director's cut is said to be superior to the theatrical version. Which I can confirm, as can the reviewers from DVD Talk, IGN, and DVD Verdict, among others. And people can buy a brand-new theatrical cut with a slipcase at Astro for only 350.

;D

Actually, I was selling my theatrical cut for 200. Mas taga ako sa iyo.  ;D But I guess with the diversity of opinions, keeping both could also be an option...
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 at 10:29 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 12:45 PM »
Here are some initial differences I've found so far between the two. Hope to finish later.

Introduction:
Theatrical version starts with a sweeping shot of the battlefield with the armies on either side marching to battle while the Director’s cut shows a dog in search of his master in the battlefield with dead soldiers from a previous battle.  I don’t really see the relevance of the dog to the unfolding epic story. I thought I was watching a new film with that intro.  It seems to say that Troy has to gone to the dogs.   ;D  Peterson's explanation in the 2nd feature disc is totally hogwash.

And Horner’s background music has been revised almost in its entirety in that segment.  The new music sheds off the female solo oriental chanting and drumbeats of the theatrical cut that echoed the music of Gladiator in favor of a tamer but pedestrian orchestral blend of horns and strings.  The drama of the opening scenes look diluted to me, losing the barbaric urgency of the theatrical version and giving way to one with a mere narrative tone typical of a BBC or CNN documentary.. And what was that dog doing again?  Is that supposed to make it more artistic?  Are we to empathize with the dog finding its dead master? 

Truce Celebration between Troy and Sparta
Theatrical version segues directly from King Menaleus embracing Hector and toasting to  Paris following Helen to her chambers upstairs. Director’s Cut shows King Menaleus, after embracing Hector, talks about how great a warrior Hector is but only exceeded by Achiles to which Hector agrees, overshadowing Hector’s fear of Achiles and a hint on who will eventually win so there won’t be any surprises even for those who never read the Iliad or stories of who killed who in that poem.   Menaleus is shown cavorting with the belly dancers after telling Hector that wives are for breeding and to enjoy the women just before it seques to Paris following Helen to her room.  This couple of dialogue lines totally diminishes Helen’s importance to Menalaus who is supposed to launch a thousand ships to retrieve Helen.  Apparently it just foreshadows the argument later on that Menalaus motive is to regain his lost face and to kill Helen once retrieved. 

Paris and Helen in her room
The director’s cut shows Helen’s left nipple which is not shown in the theatrical version.  This is due to the newer shots on the scenes in Helen’s chamber that has more details in the bottom screen. (The Director’s cut does have a more vibrant color pallete.)  Consequently, the shot of Helen’s reclined nude behind gets more screen presence and exposure.  Still no full frontal nudity though.. 

After that Hector confronts Paris descending from the stairs telling him he won’t allow the peace with Menaleus to be compromised or he will tear Paris’” pretty face from your pretty skull.”  Nothing of that in the theatrical cut.  I don’t think this scene reinforces Hector’s dilemna over his brother’s naivity to smuggle Helen out of Troy against preserving the peace their father has worked for, and it adds nothing to the anguish of Hector over the betrayal of the peace deal and even contradicts his subsequent decision to accede to Paris’ amourous but politically incorrect misadventure.  It only shows he can eat his own threats and that blood is still thicker than water. ;D

Discovery of Helen in the ship’s hold.
The long panoramic of the sea leading to the deck seques to Hector carving a wooden toy in the theatrical cut.  In the director’s cut, it seques to a close-up of the ship mast.   Again, I find this a diminution of cinematic relevance.  How more important is the ship mast to a close-up of Hector carving a toy to reveal more of his character flies in the face of Peterson’s aim to show more character to his cast.

After going down the hold and seeing Helen unhood herself, the Diector’s cut shows a shocked and angry and speechless Hector looking at Paris.  This is not shown in the theatrical version and immediately segues to King Menaleus confronting Helen’s chambermaid in her room.

In the director’s cut, when King Menaleus confronts the chambermaid, she answers back “my king” which is not uttered in the theatrical version.

Odysseus Introduced
In the theatrical cut, Odysseus is introduced as he arrived to talk to Achilles in the temple where he was training cousin Patrolcus.  In the Director’s Cut, Odysseus is introduced garbed as a shepherd playing with his dog on a hillside when two emissaries of King Menaleus arrive looking for King Odysseus they didn’t recognize. Odysseus toys with their ignorance.  Now this is perhaps an attempt at character exposition but other than showing Odysseus' playful sense of humor, it adds nothing to the already intense though short characterization of Odysseus that is relevant to the plot. 

Peterson must love dogs a lot.  A scene and a character have each been introduced with a dog that was never there in the theatrical version.  ;D

The launching of 1000 ships
In the Director’s cut, after his mother tells him about his glorious fate in Troy but would never see him again, Achilles asks his mother if her vision of his demise is confirmed – a question not asked in the theatrical version. 

In the theatrical version, Achilles stares in thought at a distance and the beating drums seques to a close-up of Achilles on board one of the ships before a gradual sweeping aerial shot of the 1000 ships occupying the entire screen.  In the director’s cut, the shots are reversed with the panoramic aerial shots of the 1000 ships getting ahead of Achiles’ close up on board after.  I don’t see any artistic or logical merit to the reversal of shots.

OK, so far with less than an hour into the movie, I'm starting to be glad it only cost 499 with a rather neat packaging typical of Warner 2-disc releases.  I hope my impressions change seeing the rest and comparing it to the original.  There's supposed to be more blood and gore and a more expansive characterization.  Will see.   ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2007 at 05:13 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 01:39 PM »
Wow! How many times have you seen this movie, or are you watching director's cut/theatrical version side-by-side?

The director’s cut shows Helen’s left nipple which is not shown in the theatrical version... Consequently, the shot of Helen’s reclined nude behind gets more screen presence and exposure.

I rest my case.  ;D

Seriously, though - that kind of comparison is what I've been looking for on websites, to help people decide if an upgrade to a "director's cut" is really a necessary purchase for them. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 at 01:41 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 01:44 PM »
Don't mention it.  Just a visual, aural and writing exercise on a weekend.   ;D  I have two DVD players so I can afford to play 2 DVDs on the same TV.  Freeze one after 5 minutes then play the same scenes in the other, back and forth.   If I think I see something new or different I just  go back and rewatch to confirm as many times as I need.   I can thank the wonders of a universal remote control for that.  ;D

Oh and a bit of correction, the nipple of Helen got shown and her nude bottom shown better because the frames were obviously unedited to reveal more video information in the bottom of the screen.  Not really new shots as I stated.  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 at 02:04 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline techdude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Spinning...
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 08:10 PM »
Oh and a bit of correction, the nipple of Helen got shown and her nude bottom shown better because the frames were obviously unedited to reveal more video information in the bottom of the screen.  Not really new shots as I stated.  ;D
You'd gone back and watched that scene a third time? ;D

Everyone has his/her own preference.   Wolfgang explained a few of the differences and why he recut those scenes in a featurette on disc 2.   Personally, I prefer the DE.  Although the difference between the two is not night-and-day as Kingdom of Heaven's two version were, nor superfluous as that of Alexander three cuts.
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 at 08:14 PM by techdude »
Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 09:58 PM »
You'd gone back and watched that scene a third time? ;D

Well, actually 4 times.  Just making sure my eyes weren't imagining it.   ;D

And yes, so far, none of the added footages or changes have impressed me as being necessary (except maybe Helen's nipples  ;D) and have in my estimation, even diminished it.  But I have not formed my final opinion of the whole yet, as I have yet to watch the better parts.  ;D  Or have I seen the better parts already?
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007 at 10:00 PM by av_phile1 »