Author Topic: Vandersteen 1C  (Read 2430 times)

Offline wilborn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Vandersteen 1C
« on: Sep 24, 2007 at 01:16 PM »
Any comments on Vandersteen 1C.

Your comments/reviews will be greatly appreciated

Wilborn

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Vandersteen 1C
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 02:12 PM »
sound is slightly laid back. it has tweeter level adjustment. very heavy. if paired with the proper gears, it could sound really good with a little bit shyness on bass.
overall, its a good speaker in comparison to others of same price level.

at the same price however, there are a few better options :)
im allan - 09178087173

Offline wilborn

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 02:47 PM »
Thank you for your comments, accastil.

I intend to pair it with a Cayin A50T integrated tube amp

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 03:03 PM »
i heard it paired with diy gears over at the most recent audio fair in alabang and i am impressed...the gears were tubes from source to power. its quite easy to drive. goodluck, i hope it pairs well with cayin.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2007 at 05:47 PM »
I remembered auditioning a cayin a50t at audio amplified powering a vandersteen 2ce (I think...), sounds fantastic...great soundstage (thats actually what Im looking for, but not the price :D). Considering 2ce is a bigger brother of 1c, Im thinking what more sa vandy 1c.Im sure you will have a great time listening to that combination. good luck bro.

Offline wilborn

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 09:22 AM »
Thanks for your comments, philjonc!

Offline wraith

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 10:04 AM »
compared to the 2ce Sig and 3a Sig, the mids of the 1c are recessed at the woofer-tweeter crossover point.  it depends on you if you like this characteristic.  some like it because it makes the speaker sound laid-back; but some see this as lack of detail.

however, the 1, 2, and 3 all share the typical vandersteen characteristics of a big and open soundstage, and well damped bass (linear and extended, but not punchy).  it will sound outstanding and natural when reproducing acoustic double-bass, but pop fans will be disappointed when reproducing the synthesized bass of modern music.

in terms of setup, speaker placement is critical due to its wide-dispersion design and use of 1st-order crossovers.  setup mistake will result in peaks and dips at the crossover point/s.  just ask AudioAmp to show you how detailed its setup manual is.

trust me on these.  i am speaking out of experience of owning the 2ce Sig.

hope this helps

« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2007 at 10:15 AM by wraith »

Offline wilborn

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 12:37 PM »
Thanks wraith for your firdt hand advice!

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 12:50 PM »
compared to the 2ce Sig and 3a Sig, the mids of the 1c are recessed at the woofer-tweeter crossover point.  it depends on you if you like this characteristic.  some like it because it makes the speaker sound laid-back; but some see this as lack of detail.

however, the 1, 2, and 3 all share the typical vandersteen characteristics of a big and open soundstage, and well damped bass (linear and extended, but not punchy).  it will sound outstanding and natural when reproducing acoustic double-bass, but pop fans will be disappointed when reproducing the synthesized bass of modern music.

in terms of setup, speaker placement is critical due to its wide-dispersion design and use of 1st-order crossovers.  setup mistake will result in peaks and dips at the crossover point/s.  just ask AudioAmp to show you how detailed its setup manual is.

hope this helps

I think vandersteen are using silk dome tweeters(am I correct?), kaya mejo laid-back. Compared to a speaker using metal dome, you can here much detail kasi mas matining. specially when you like listening to strings and keys.

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 05:01 PM »
Extracted from vandersteen site, hope this help  :)

The metal alloy dome tweeter is a dual chamber design to improve range and linearity. It is critically damped to extend the high frequencies past audibility without the excessive ringing associated with open or underdamped metal dome tweeters. The specific alloy used for the dome was chosen for its superior strength and resistance to break-up compared to common fabric and plastic domes. The quality materials and advanced features of the Model One's tweeter result in smooth and accurate response throughout the audible range.

Cheers

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 06:05 PM »
I think vandersteen are using silk dome tweeters(am I correct?), kaya mejo laid-back. Compared to a speaker using metal dome, you can here much detail kasi mas matining. specially when you like listening to strings and keys.
not really...
im allan - 09178087173

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 06:11 PM »

hope this helps

i agree...to add more, the 1cs made me think twice when i heard it with an analog source. for CDs, it may sound as described above(recession on highs and mids incomparison to most speakers) but if you would be inclined more in listening to LPs, youl enjoy vandys for a very looooong time.
in the end, it would always point back to your personal listening preference, the kind of music you like, and the synergy of these vandys with the rest of your gears and cables.

bring it home, compare it with all the other speakers you have home-auditioned. play the same CDs, the same tracks over and over...there is no better way to do it. enjoy the hunt sir :)
im allan - 09178087173

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 06:29 PM »
Extracted from vandersteen site, hope this help  :)

The metal alloy dome tweeter is a dual chamber design to improve range and linearity. It is critically damped to extend the high frequencies past audibility without the excessive ringing associated with open or underdamped metal dome tweeters. The specific alloy used for the dome was chosen for its superior strength and resistance to break-up compared to common fabric and plastic domes. The quality materials and advanced features of the Model One's tweeter result in smooth and accurate response throughout the audible range.

Cheers

well there you go wilborn, you got technical info as well as advices from owners and future owners of vandersteen 1c, what more can you ask for. At the end of the day the best thing to do is audition it using your gears, if home auditioning is possible then do so.

Offline wilborn

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 09:27 AM »
Thank you all for your comments!

WIlborn

Offline AudioAmplified

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.audioamplified.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2007 at 12:17 PM »
Home audition is always welcome with Audio Amplified.  Feel free to contact us any time (www.audioamplified.com  check our contacts there) and we will be glad to bring our gears to your home for you to test.  :)  Thank You

Let your ears decide :)   CHEERS