Author Topic: Tube Preamp humming  (Read 3002 times)

Offline threadlock

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tube Preamp humming
« on: Jun 17, 2008 at 11:45 AM »
Is it normal for tube preamp to cause humming?
This is actually paired with a SS poweramp and im sure it's not the poweramp since I already isolated and tested the poweramp with another preamp/processor and it's not the one causing the hum.
I've checked all the connections and even tried a few times disconnecting and reconnecting and the hum is still there. All interconnects and wires used are brand-new.

Previously, I thought it was because I placed the preamp on top of the power amp. But I also tried spacing the two 2 feet away but the hum is still there.

The hum is constant at all volume levels, and it's coming from the two speakers.
Both the tube pre and the poweramp is connected to a Panther powerstrip which is connected to a house outlet.
Except for the annoying hum, the tube-pre+ss poweramp combo actually sounds great and is better than my Denon AVR.
With too many options you could end up not choosing one

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: Tube Preamp humming
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 12:19 PM »
what is your preamp & the tubes in it?
first time to use this pre amp in your system?
could be inherent in the design/internal wiring/grounding...?

you can try the ffg:
try reversing the ac plug connection  of your preamp to ac outlet.
try also different tubes (spares, if you have).
try shielding the preamp transformer with aluminum foil and ground it in the chassis (ingat lan not to contact the B+ supply of your preamp...)
try putting tube metal shields.
 :)
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2008 at 12:28 PM by dana »

Offline threadlock

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 12:29 PM »
yes, first time user of tube preamp.
preamp is tono violin, tubes are 2 x JAN CHY 5692, RCA ECC8 rectifier. Currently I have no spare tubes as I just recently bought it from another forum.
Thanks sir, I'll try some of your advises.

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 12:40 PM »
first of all, how loud is the hum?

tube gears have small amount of acceptable hum that should only be heard when you put your ears right next to the speaker cones. if the hum is not noticeable about 1 foot away then it's just about normal.

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM »

yes, agree.baka sobrang hina lang naman, unless you put your ear near the speaker.
just the same, try mo rin baka mag improve pa level...

Offline Jagner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 01:05 PM »
Did you try earth grounding  ::)

Offline threadlock

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 01:15 PM »

tube gears have small amount of acceptable hum that should only be heard when you put your ears right next to the speaker cones. if the hum is not noticeable about 1 foot away then it's just about normal.

The hum is quite acceptable naman especially in the listening position when there is already music playing. Im just actually thinking if it can be lowered in levels since in my room it's really VERY QUITE I can hear even the ticks of my wall clock 2 meters away when no music is playing. Im just annoyed when I hear the hum during silent passages in music or during silence in between tracks.
My room is acoustically treated with Panel Resonator basstraps and broadband absorbers, so the noise floor is very small it's almost dead quite, especially at night. My listening volume is about 75dB for jazz, classical, chamber music, female vocals, upping it to 85dB is already very loud.

Maybe, I'll try the grounding, thanks for all the suggestions.  :)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2008 at 01:37 PM »
The hum is quite acceptable naman especially in the listening position when there is already music playing. Im just actually thinking if it can be lowered in levels since in my room it's really VERY QUITE I can hear even the ticks of my wall clock 2 meters away when no music is playing. Im just annoyed when I hear the hum during silent passages in music or during silence in between tracks.
My room is acoustically treated with Panel Resonator basstraps and broadband absorbers, so the noise floor is very small it's almost dead quite, especially at night. My listening volume is about 75dB for jazz, classical, chamber music, female vocals, upping it to 85dB is already very loud.

If you can hear the hum when you are seated at your listening position then it's not acceptable at all. Better check all connections and see if hum disappears, or try the preamp with another amp and if hum persists, have your unit checked. Loosely seated tubes can also cause hum problems.

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2008 at 09:44 AM »

Why don't you ask the Tono boys at wiredstate.com for help, they should be happy to help you out.

For me, an acceptable hum should not be heard at your listening position. I am not even happy with hum with my ears a foot away from my speakers.

HTH
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline Philjonc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2008 at 05:03 PM »

yes this is true, i use a tono violin 6sn7 tube preamp it may be the EH or the 5692, yes i hear hum(normal in tube gears) but only when i put my ears about 3 inches from the speaker cone. i used this with high powered amp and low powered amp but the same level of hum sound.
didnt you hear any hum when you auditioned it?

Offline skee6

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2008 at 07:59 PM »
Suggest bring it to Mang Rod.tel 5221696. He can easily solve your hum problem while you wait. :)

Offline threadlock

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 11:51 AM »
I brought it to Mang Rod and he was really great! He was able to fix the problem by modifying the power supply
and as an added bonus I also got another pre-outs. There is still humming but can only be heard when you stick your ear a few inches from the speaker cone, it is no longer heard in the listening position.
I thought I would just sell the preamp but now it's for the keeps.  :)

Offline tuscany

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 05:35 PM »
Hi Threadlock, would you mind sharing how much you paid for the repair and the mods and how long it took.

Offline threadlock

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 06:07 PM »
Medyo mahal sir, pero yung cost ng 2nd hand tono violin + the mod will not reach the price of preamp when bought brand-new. Medyo sulit na rin kasi the preamp had a good tube(CBS 5692 brown base) and mundorf silver/gold and I like how it sounds, especially when the humming was minimized.
The mod/repair took only one day but I picked it up only after one week because kapos kasi yung pera ko.
Also sent you a pm.  :)
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2008 at 06:12 PM by threadlock »

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jul 07, 2008 at 06:25 PM »
I brought it to Mang Rod and he was really great! He was able to fix the problem by modifying the power supply
and as an added bonus I also got another pre-outs. There is still humming but can only be heard when you stick your ear a few inches from the speaker cone, it is no longer heard in the listening position.

Try to earthground the pre-amp  8)  It'll help in further minimizing the hum.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2008 at 06:59 PM by Jagner »

Offline Philjonc

• Collector
  • I just love music...
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jul 08, 2008 at 09:16 AM »

congrats noel! 8)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 11:29 AM »
Try to earthground the pre-amp  8)  It'll help in further minimizing the hum.

very helpful to read pdvd gurus' posts. my 12au7preamp's hum problem solved by grounding it to yammy avrs ground terminal (used for phono input :D)

Offline choit

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 09:43 PM »
I have the same humming on a recently purchased AMX preamp.  Humming is noticeable 1 ft away from cone.  I don't think I have any ground on my wall outlets.  Pano ko kaya ma minimize pa yung hum?

Offline Jagner

• Collector
  • Listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2009 at 04:53 PM »
I have the same humming on a recently purchased AMX preamp.  Humming is noticeable 1 ft away from cone.  I don't think I have any ground on my wall outlets.  Pano ko kaya ma minimize pa yung hum?

Best is still to earth gound your equipment  ;)

Offline macks75

• Collector
  • hey
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 19, 2009 at 10:06 AM »
saan po yung location ni Mang Rod ?

Offline threadlock

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Apr 20, 2009 at 05:13 PM »
bro you can find MR at conchu st. cor Zobel Roxas ave
tel# 522-16-96

Offline louiesia

• Collector
  • Nothing beats CAYIN CDT 17A
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 21, 2009 at 10:32 PM »
better get a Automatic Voltage Regulator with Line Conditioner. Meron sa ACE Hardware 1,990.00 only
CAYIN CDT 17A, CAYIN A50T, INFINITY PRIMUS 362, DARED MP5

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #22 on: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:36 AM »

congratulations sir threadlock !!! 8)

thanks kuya skee for chiming in... will keep your sound advise in mind po in case humming will be an issue on my system  ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2009 at 12:38 AM by bass_nut »

Offline louiesia

• Collector
  • Nothing beats CAYIN CDT 17A
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2009 at 06:24 PM »
I have not experienced humming in my cayin tube amp.  ;D
CAYIN CDT 17A, CAYIN A50T, INFINITY PRIMUS 362, DARED MP5