Author Topic: Toshiba stubbornly launches the un-Blu-ray, XD-E500 DVD player  (Read 25495 times)

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2404
Re: Toshiba stubbornly launches the un-Blu-ray, XD-E500 DVD player
« Reply #120 on: Nov 20, 2008 at 01:14 PM »
This player has 3 mode for picture quality, they are SHARP, ORIGINAL, CONTRAST and OFF. For the Audio it has Bitstream and PCM mode.

Ive played them thru series of tv including the Elite 111FD and 101FD. They all look fantastic. I also included the Toshiba 52RV530 and Mitsubishi LT52149 for the testing. With the mitsubishi having the 120hz on the introduction has a lot of combing effect. But once the movie starts, that fade away. The combing effect wasnt apparent in the 2 elite that i use. Picture was crystal clear using the gladiator movie. Once i put an animation everyone thought that it was HD. The picture quality was very good considering it is just an upconverted movie. The only gripe that i can say is that it is not as vibrant and colorful as HD. But that is to be expected. With the proper tweaking and calibrating this machine is a force to recon with. This is a very good machine and the price is decent.

Lastly it does play boot leg and this is not region free. It is lock here in the US. I will include the picture setup later. I am still too busy with setting up my store for the early black friday sale. =)

Sir, have you compared it to an oppo 980. The reason is I already have an oppo 980 and I'm thinking of getting this player. I wanna make sure if its worth the purchase.  If its slightly better than the 980 I wanna get this toshiba  ;D bec of its price, if same or worse I will pass. I really want the best for my dvds, even if it means seeing an extra pimple in a dudes face  ;D, better colors etc., etc.

For those questioning the region hack. I posted a link on a review on home cinema choice above, you can see on the right side on the summary ata they have instructions on how to do the region hack. Whether this is confirmed I don't know na but there are a lot saying it works. I don't think they will post it in a magazine if it doesn't work. I will take my chances ;D

Offline SirLaw11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: Nov 20, 2008 at 01:48 PM »

Sir, have you compared it to an oppo 980. The reason is I already have an oppo 980 and I'm thinking of getting this player. I wanna make sure if its worth the purchase.  If its slightly better than the 980 I wanna get this toshiba  ;D bec of its price, if same or worse I will pass. I really want the best for my dvds, even if it means seeing an extra pimple in a dudes face  ;D, better colors etc., etc.

For those questioning the region hack. I posted a link on a review on home cinema choice above, you can see on the right side on the summary ata they have instructions on how to do the region hack. Whether this is confirmed I don't know na but there are a lot saying it works. I don't think they will post it in a magazine if it doesn't work. I will take my chances ;D

I can't comment on the oppo because we dont sell there product. But base on what i read online from various forums, i would say the XDE-500 has better picture quality than the 980.
Format neutral

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Nov 20, 2008 at 02:05 PM »
I can't comment on the oppo because we dont sell there product. But base on what i read online from various forums, i would say the XDE-500 has better picture quality than the 980.

Ok thanks sir, Im so hot with this player, Im like a "dog in heat". It's good its now below the 100 dollar range ;D..Easier for wifes approval ;D

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #123 on: Nov 20, 2008 at 03:22 PM »
@SirLaw11

I read somewhere that the XDE-500 stretches a 4:3 image to make it fit wide screens.
And there is no way to make the picture square.

Can you confirm this?

TIA  ;)

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #124 on: Nov 20, 2008 at 04:56 PM »
sorry OT. SirLaw11, was wondering where is your shop? will you include the XD-E500 on sale? ;D

Offline SirLaw11

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 07:12 AM »
@SirLaw11

I read somewhere that the XDE-500 stretches a 4:3 image to make it fit wide screens.
And there is no way to make the picture square.

Can you confirm this?

TIA  ;)

I will try to get a hold of 4:3 dvd first. Then i will let you know the outcome.

sorry OT. SirLaw11, was wondering where is your shop? will you include the XD-E500 on sale? ;D

Unfortunately not =(
Format neutral

Offline jchilado

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 02:24 PM »
Another good review for the XD-E500. 
http://whathifi.com/Review/Toshiba-XD-E500/

Got mine for $100 Canadian in Best Buy.  Asked my brother to bring it when he comes home next month.
$100 X 39 = Php3,900!!!  Cheaper than Philips or Pioneer. ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2008 at 02:25 PM by jchilado »

Offline ronjet

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #127 on: Nov 22, 2008 at 03:13 PM »
sir jchilada, baka pwede magpasabay dyan? hehe

Offline jchilado

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Nov 23, 2008 at 08:38 AM »
@ronjet

Isa lang kayang dalhin sir.  50 lbs. na lang kasi ang check-in baggage ngayon ng US/Canada flights.

Offline t1empo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Nov 24, 2008 at 12:16 PM »
Hello everyone.. does anyone know where I can buy XD-E500 DVD player here in Manila? Of course for a good price  :) thanks!

Offline jchilado

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Nov 24, 2008 at 08:30 PM »
@t1empo

I think TOY 01 was selling it at 7.5k.

Offline t1empo

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Nov 25, 2008 at 07:05 AM »
@t1empo

I think TOY 01 was selling it at 7.5k.

@jchilado - thanks for the reply... is this brand new?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #132 on: Nov 25, 2008 at 07:08 AM »
@jchilado - thanks for the reply... is this brand new?
brand new yan, pinaparating pa ni sir toy01 from the states.  ;D

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #133 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 05:20 PM »
Mahaharangan kaya to ng customs if i let a relative carry this in with the box? 89 dollars na lang sa amazon kase with free shipping pa.  :-[ wag na lang i-declare siguro?

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 05:24 PM »
Mahaharangan kaya to ng customs if i let a relative carry this in with the box? 89 dollars na lang sa amazon kase with free shipping pa.  :-[ wag na lang i-declare siguro?

may risk syempre, pero pag balikbayan at may check in na balikbayan box, usually hindi nila hinahassle. pero pag walang bb box baka mapuna, laki din kahon nyan, tapos wala kang i-dedeclare. baka pag initan. pero syempre, pwedeng lumusot.  ;D

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #135 on: Nov 26, 2008 at 05:26 PM »
may risk syempre, pero pag balikbayan at may check in na balikbayan box, usually hindi nila hinahassle. pero pag walang bb box baka mapuna, laki din kahon nyan, tapos wala kang i-dedeclare. baka pag initan. pero syempre, pwedeng lumusot.  ;D

oh i see. so laking tulong tlaga ng balikbayan box. ok, tanong ko sa kanya kung meron siyang ganyan. thanks bro. yoko lang ma-hassle, bibisita na nga lang binigyan ko pa ng problema. hehe

Offline redram

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Dec 08, 2008 at 02:58 PM »
Got my Toshiba XD-E500 package today. Will try to connect this tonight and will give impressions of this player later.

Hopefully it gives noticebale improvement to DVD viewing.

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Dec 08, 2008 at 03:04 PM »
sir redram

where did u buy your toshiba ? im currently looking for this ? did u purchase it locally ?

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Dec 08, 2008 at 03:29 PM »
Got my Toshiba XD-E500 package today. Will try to connect this tonight and will give impressions of this player later.

Hope you can give us some review :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline redram

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Dec 09, 2008 at 07:20 AM »
The XD-E500 was purchased in Canada. I asked my sis the cost but she won't tell. I assumed it was bought at BestBuy 'coz of the plastic bag. I googled the site - 99 canadian dollars, slightly less than 4k.

My quick review.
1. The unit is light but well built. At the back the A/V connections seem complete (component, HDMI, optical out, etc.) The LED display is vey limited bordering useless, shows only chapter#.

2. Linked the DVD player with my Toshiba 37C3500 via HDMI (audiopro) for reference. Regza link worked! Decided to use TV remote.

3. Partly watched Region 1 LOTR-TROTK and Happy Feet. For LOTR was impressed with the improved detail (@ sharp mode by default). The picture seems richer and more alive than before. Played around with color and contrast mode and you can see subtle chages. Next was HF, was dismayed I never recalled seeing so many artifacts (don't know the proper term) specially between the letters on the starting credits. It improved a bit, less harsh, when I turned the enhancer off. I think the DVD resolution of this movie was at fault. But clearly I noticed new details I havent seen before like the penguin's coat (fur) so much more apparent.

4. For HDMI connection the resolution available are only the ff; 1080i, 1080p, 1080p-24 and auto.

5. Tried to make it multi region to test my local Region 3 discs. It worked liked a charm. Inserted another animation "Meet the Robinsons" to confirm the artifacts I saw in HF. None this time, the copy was better. Also, this is the first time I noticed little Goob has slight redness in the veins of his eyes due to lack of sleep while 4-eyes was making his pb & j gadget.

6. Connected  my Nextbase DVD via component, upscale to 720p and rerun HF to observe the difference in pq. To my surprise the artifacts seen previously was less significant. The pq is better it seems.

7. For its price I think this multi-region DVD upscaler is worth it specially if you alrady have a collection of DVDs and until Blu ray player & disc become more affordable.

8. The only negative so far, its 110v as I was impatient to wait for local distribution.

will do more tinkering later this week.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Dec 09, 2008 at 07:38 AM »
The XD-E500 was purchased in Canada. I asked my sis the cost but she won't tell. I assumed it was bought at BestBuy 'coz of the plastic bag. I googled the site - 99 canadian dollars, slightly less than 4k.

My quick review.

5. Tried to make it multi region to test my local Region 3 discs. It worked liked a charm. Inserted another animation "Meet the Robinsons" to confirm the artifacts I saw in HF. None this time, the copy was better. Also, this is the first time I noticed little Goob has slight redness in the veins of his eyes due to lack of sleep while 4-eyes was making his pb & j gadget.

will do more tinkering later this week.

nice review!

question, how did you go about making it region free. thanks!

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #141 on: Dec 09, 2008 at 10:34 AM »
@redram

Thanks for the review bud, can you test an old 4:3 movie.

I just want confirmation whether this unit retains the square image or does it stretch it to fill the widescreen.

Offline redram

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Dec 09, 2008 at 12:26 PM »
to make it region free

- open the tray
- type 2403960
- press 9  (9 appears on the upper right of the screen)
- close the tray
- switch player to standby
- turn on

enjoy your DVD collection

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Dec 09, 2008 at 12:39 PM »
thanks for the review sir would u know if it can play jack sparrow dvd's

Offline sechiong

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Dec 09, 2008 at 08:15 PM »
meron bang optical output? i thought coaxial output lang meron.

Offline jchilado

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Dec 11, 2008 at 09:43 PM »
Got mine yesterday from Canada also.  Yes, it has an optical as well as coaxial output.  Better leave the enhancements off as introduces a lot of artifacts.  Its a great upscaler for the price.  $99 Canadian

Offline Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Dec 12, 2008 at 09:53 AM »
Got mine yesterday from Canada also.  Yes, it has an optical as well as coaxial output.  Better leave the enhancements off as introduces a lot of artifacts.  Its a great upscaler for the price.  $99 Canadian

Do you guys have other dvd players to compare it to like oppos 980, sony 708 (don't really know the model ;D), pioneer 600, 610, philips etc etc. I already have the oppo 980, so wanna  make sure first if its worth it to get one hehe..As long as its better than 980 I wanna get one, especially for 80 bucks :) There are some reviews saying this toshiba is excellent and some saying its not good. There are some saying you have to adjust your tv settings to get the best picture. Do you guys adjust your tv settings? bec it may oversharpen etc. etc. when you turn the enhancements on.
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2008 at 08:12 AM by Moks007 »

Offline jchilado

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 11:16 PM »
@Moks007

My other player is a Pioneer DV-380.  I have no other unit to compare it with. 

Offline jchilado

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 11:23 PM »
@simonzaide

Yes, it plays our jack sparrow blu-ray r****d dvds.  Loading time is tad slower when using scratched discs.

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Dec 14, 2008 at 06:22 PM »
to make it region free

- open the tray
- type 2403960
- press 9  (9 appears on the upper right of the screen)
- close the tray
- switch player to standby
- turn on

enjoy your DVD collection

thanks!  ;D