Author Topic: 1080P HD DVR/HTPC & Multichanel LPCM output questions  (Read 1022 times)

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1080P HD DVR/HTPC & Multichanel LPCM output questions
« on: May 11, 2009 at 12:26 PM »
Am planning on building a new HTPC as a source for a new home theater that I am setting up.

Primary objectives in building the HTPC are:

1.  DVR capabilities
2.  Play xvid/divx and other HD files to connect to AV Receiver
3.  1020p output capability
4.  7.1 output capability (including LPCM 7.1 output).

I am thinking of using my old processor AMD 3500+ AM2 socket to power this machine, but getting a new processor should not be an issue since it is not that expensive but being able to use the old processor would be an advantage. 

In any case, what should I look for in a motherboard?  Should I still get a good board considering that I plan to get an ATI 4800 series GPU for its HD video capabilities as well as the 7.1 LPCM output through HDMI.  I was told that other boards can only output 2.0 for LPCM.  Not really very useful for now, but I just need it for future proofing and for blu-ray.  I've read intel chipsets support this. 

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3411

Does it mean that I need a mobo that supports this feature or as long as my GPU supports it, any motherboard will do?

As for the DVR feature, what TV tuners could you suggest?  I don't really know where to start with tuners since they all seem to have the same features.  Which one is the most reliable in terms of recording quality and playback?

With regard to the casing, I could be pretty flexible as long as it would be presentable and would not destroy the aesthetics of my whole set-up.  the I-cute QS 02 looks nice, but does it require low profile hardware or is this a regular sized casing?

What are the best program/OS to use with this set-up?

Lastly, if I am forgetting something... additional fans... PSU requirements, please let me know. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 at 10:06 PM by dips15 »

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: HD DVR/HTPC
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009 at 02:46 PM »
I think all your questions will be answered in this thread;

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=88351.0

Here's a supplementary thread that will also prove useful;

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=88283.0

Just Click the above & Learn  ;) ;D

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: 1080P HD DVR/HTPC & Multichanel LPCM output questions
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009 at 10:05 PM »
I think all your questions will be answered in this thread;

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=88351.0

Here's a supplementary thread that will also prove useful;

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=88283.0

Just Click the above & Learn  ;) ;D

Thanks for the link.  I guess its more prudent to get a newer and faster processor than what I already have to ensure a smoother picture. 

What I would like to know is about outputting multichannel LPCM.  I don't really know much about it but have read that most cards that can output up to 7.1 can only output 2.0 channels of LPCM.  Although I probably don't need it, like some people on the board has said, I don't want to be immediately limited on a new HTPC.  If I'm going to spend for it, I'd like the whole package. 

I'd also like to ask if there are some of us here who use their HTPC for DVR purposes.  As such, has anyone tried playing back video on the HTPC while recording.  I'm assuming you can watch and download at the same time, but would someone need a core 2 duo or core 2 quad to be able to do 2 or 3 tasks at the same time seamlessly?

Again any inputs would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009 at 10:06 PM by dips15 »

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009 at 09:33 AM »

.. I'm assuming you can watch and download at the same time, but would someone need a core 2 duo or core 2 quad to be able to do 2 or 3 tasks at the same time seamlessly?

If you're going to spend enough money to buy a discrete video/tv capture card with its own specialized chip for hardware encoding, then a lower class CPU would suffice for multitasking.  Otherwise, you'd better invest on a badass CPU.    Simply watching TV via the PC is light.  Recording can be beast especially if you are going to record to the same hdd that you are using for other task(s) simultaneously.

If you're going to watch 1080p MKV, CPU will be burdened heavily already.

If you're going to watch original HD DVD or BD, the burden can be shared between the CPU and the graphics card.

I'm not sure if you can find graphics card with "good" built in video capture having PCI-Express interface.  In the past, the ATI All In Wonder with AGP was such.  So mas madaling gawing combination ang PCI-Express graphics card (ATI 4800 series as you mentioned) and then a PCI or PCI-E video/tv capture card.    Best type (and probably most expensive) is the hybrid type which allows you to capture both analog and digital broadcast, and record digitally - and having hardware encoding capabilities.

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009 at 11:48 AM »
If you're going to spend enough money to buy a discrete video/tv capture card with its own specialized chip for hardware encoding, then a lower class CPU would suffice for multitasking.  Otherwise, you'd better invest on a badass CPU.    Simply watching TV via the PC is light.  Recording can be beast especially if you are going to record to the same hdd that you are using for other task(s) simultaneously.

If you're going to watch 1080p MKV, CPU will be burdened heavily already.

If you're going to watch original HD DVD or BD, the burden can be shared between the CPU and the graphics card.

I'm not sure if you can find graphics card with "good" built in video capture having PCI-Express interface.  In the past, the ATI All In Wonder with AGP was such.  So mas madaling gawing combination ang PCI-Express graphics card (ATI 4800 series as you mentioned) and then a PCI or PCI-E video/tv capture card.    Best type (and probably most expensive) is the hybrid type which allows you to capture both analog and digital broadcast, and record digitally - and having hardware encoding capabilities.

Don't plan on watching TV through this.  Just want an analog (since we don't have digital yet, or is sky really digital already?) capture card/tuner to capture the occasional sporting events on TV.  Anyway its pretty affordable and quite easy to upgrade.  It would be advantageous if I can watch videos while it is downloading, but not really a must.  Just want to make sure I can transmit HD (audio and video) in its full glory to my A/V Receiver.

So based on my observations from the links posted above and other sources, I can surmise the following (correct me if I'm wrong):

1.  Good processor but does not need a good motherboard since am getting a dedicated graphic card.

2.  Good graphic card with HDMI output for both video of up to 1080p and audio of up to 7.1 LPCM.

3.  Decent amount of memory

4.  3 hard drives... 1 system disk (can be just a partition), 1 download disk/viewing disk and 1 recording disk.

5.  Reliable PSU

6.  TV Tuner/Capture Card - any suggestion on models here?

With this set-up I would think, I'd need a tower case already.  Since it doesn't look like cases like the QS-2 can fit all these components.