Author Topic: Wharfedale diamond 10 series  (Read 110373 times)

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
Re: Wharfedale diamond 10 series
« Reply #120 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 12:15 AM »
If it's out of the warranty period they won't, and can't. But I suppose it's due to abuse. The price of Wharfedale made them very accessible, hence too many people have them, many might not know how to use them properly...etc, etc...statistically speaking.

That's what i thought as well. sa dami nang nabenta mas merong magrereport ng sira. anyway, i would expect these cases to occur with drivers made of paper materials and not kevlar, w/c is well-known for their tensile strength.

Offline gearhead000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 01:37 AM »
the thing with this problem (though personally i never heard as much) is the availability of spare parts. if you can just source a replacement driver from the dealers or direct from the distributor, then it wouldn't be as bad. sa ngayon kasi, parang you will need to buy another pair if something happens to any of your drivers.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #122 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 03:51 AM »
I guess it's more about using the proper crossover point. Without a properly-set high pass filter, smaller speakers (including smaller towers) generally won't last very long playing loud due to excessive excursion... especially if the material being played has lots of low frequencies (like movies, rap/rnb music, etc.).

It doesn't take much power to drive speakers beyond their design limits, especially below the enclosure's tuning frequency.

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 07:08 AM »
That's what i thought as well. sa dami nang nabenta mas merong magrereport ng sira. anyway, i would expect these cases to occur with drivers made of paper materials and not kevlar, w/c is well-known for their tensile strength.

Remember, what ever te cone's made of, it's still glued or stiched (or both) to the spider and surrounds. I don't think the cone will just rupture on its own, damage must have been where it separated from either part first then kinetic energy tore up the cone once its connection to either part is severed. Especially in the case of the surround, as forces equidistant to the center of the cone suddenly get thrown out severely far from equilibrium.

It doesn't take much power to drive speakers beyond their design limits, especially below the enclosure's tuning frequency.

Or the other way around...it's not getting the right amount of stable power and quick reacting current from the amp driving it too loud.

Offline wraith

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 11:05 AM »
Remember, what ever te cone's made of, it's still glued or stiched (or both) to the spider and surrounds. I don't think the cone will just rupture on its own, damage must have been where it separated from either part first then kinetic energy tore up the cone once its connection to either part is severed. Especially in the case of the surround, as forces equidistant to the center of the cone suddenly get thrown out severely far from equilibrium.

Agreed with this.

In addition, even without abusing the speakers with power, environmental conditions can destroy the surrounds and its glue.  Foam surrounds degrade fast in humid conditions (bodega, etc.), while rubber surrounds get brittle over time.  For the glue, a warm environment can melt the glue.

For the same reasons, this is the main difference between home, car, and marine speaker drivers.  Car speaker drivers are built to withstand hostile conditions (humidity and heat); while marine drivers are built even more rigidly.

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 11:17 AM »
For the same reasons, this is the main difference between home, car, and marine speaker drivers.  Car speaker drivers are built to withstand hostile conditions (humidity and heat); while marine drivers are built even more rigidly.

Yeah, entry level home audio speakers cost more than their car audio counterparts in the same brand only because of the cabinet's construction and shipping cost.

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Oct 01, 2009 at 07:08 PM »
Remember, what ever te cone's made of, it's still glued or stiched (or both) to the spider and surrounds.

I agree. It's probably the rubber surrounds that some members are referring to. Tried to backtrack and found a couple of reports. I sure hope the members don't mind i quoted their posts.

Do you refer wharfedale speakers?
Napunit na kasi ang woofer ko yun pa din bang naka post ang number mo
where is your shop or do you offer home service

yung kevlar ng diamond 9.1 ko nagkaron ng punit. san kaya ako makakabili ng replacement na kevlar?

Very isolated cases lang tlaga. It can happen to any speaker drivers.

Thanks for all the inputs, guys. Back to the forum topic!  :)

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 07:04 PM »
Did the owners of the torn woofers mentioned in their post what led to the problem? I bet it's more of physical abuse or accident rather than acoustic abuse. Most acoustic abuse like music clipping or bass overload  attacks the voice coil first before any other part of a speaker. And to say, that newer woofer materials like kevlar, rubber, etc. are more rugged than ever.

just my thoughts ... 

By the way, anybody can share which is  better for pure audio music with audiophile materials, the 10.1 or 10.2?
I had the 9.1 and 9.2 before, and IMHO the 9.1 is far better for pure audio music, specially for vocals and retrieving details. Tnx

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 07:51 PM »
By the way, anybody can share which is  better for pure audio music with audiophile materials, the 10.1 or 10.2?
I had the 9.1 and 9.2 before, and IMHO the 9.1 is far better for pure audio music, specially for vocals and retrieving details. Tnx

Id recommend you consider the 10.5 too. The way it sounded when I heard it far from break-in was it'll do away with the compromises between the 9.1 and 9.2, ie, it has more bass than both but without the treble compromise of the 9.2 vs the 9.1.

Offline CMac

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Oct 05, 2009 at 08:02 PM »
Did the owners of the torn woofers mentioned in their post what led to the problem? I bet it's more of physical abuse or accident rather than acoustic abuse. Most acoustic abuse like music clipping or bass overload  attacks the voice coil first before any other part of a speaker. And to say, that newer woofer materials like kevlar, rubber, etc. are more rugged than ever.

just my thoughts ... 

One of 'em inquired with speaker doctor and he recommended a rubber surround replacement. no mention of how the drivers got damaged.

If I were you, I'd try other brands since you've already experienced Wharfe sounds. audition other speakers with different driver materials para maiba naman. :)

Offline allan1836

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Oct 06, 2009 at 09:27 AM »
Thanks guys for the inputs! I'm sure the 10.5 is better but budget and space constraints sadly is a reality.  :-\

@Pig_Freak, sir that's a good option you mentioned but the prices of bnew wharf satin is very attractive na parang second hand lang ng ibang brands, it's so inviting!  ;D If meron sana magbitaw ng MA or Epos na slight used for the price of a 10.1, I would grab it!  ::) 

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #131 on: Oct 06, 2009 at 09:52 AM »
Thanks guys for the inputs! I'm sure the 10.5 is better but budget and space constraints sadly is a reality.  :-\

@Pig_Freak, sir that's a good option you mentioned but the prices of bnew wharf satin is very attractive na parang second hand lang ng ibang brands, it's so inviting!  ;D If meron sana magbitaw ng MA or Epos na slight used for the price of a 10.1, I would grab it!  ::) 

sir allan,

pwede na 10.5 sa listening area mo sir allan. nice dome mids ala-vintage AR ;D

timing and luck lang naman sa marketplace, real good buys come up now and then.

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Oct 06, 2009 at 07:09 PM »

the new diamond 10 series is really a step up from the diamond 9 series. the 10.1 is very very good. :) come by the shop to check it out. :)

Offline noel_e

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Oct 06, 2009 at 09:20 PM »
any idea kung kelan magiging available ung other finishes other than black? thanks

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Oct 06, 2009 at 10:11 PM »
any idea kung kelan magiging available ung other finishes other than black? thanks

no word yet from the distributor. :)

Offline allan1836

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Oct 07, 2009 at 02:53 AM »
sir allan,

pwede na 10.5 sa listening area mo sir allan. nice dome mids ala-vintage AR ;D

timing and luck lang naman sa marketplace, real good buys come up now and then.

Sir rene, kayo ba yan? Yup, like vintage AR and Advent's. Naalala ko tuloy yung AR11 ko!  ;D Wait and see muna , medyo nag lie low kasi ako sa audio.  :D

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Oct 07, 2009 at 08:29 AM »
Sir rene, kayo ba yan? Yup, like vintage AR and Advent's. Naalala ko tuloy yung AR11 ko!  ;D Wait and see muna , medyo nag lie low kasi ako sa audio.  :D

yup  ;D

for me, yung dome mids talaga attraction ng series 10

Offline boogel

• Collector
  • i love the 70s...
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Oct 07, 2009 at 10:58 AM »
are these different from what's been posted in this thread?

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=zH0SpNkktbU%3D&tabid=57

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Oct 07, 2009 at 10:02 PM »
are these different from what's been posted in this thread?

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=zH0SpNkktbU%3D&tabid=57

yup. But our prices are definitely a lot cheaper. Come by the shop and check them out. :)

Offline dukesociety

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • music lovers of the world unite!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #139 on: Oct 07, 2009 at 11:23 PM »
which of the 10 series are better for all kinds of music?

thanks.

Offline avshop

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Oct 07, 2009 at 11:28 PM »
which of the 10 series are better for all kinds of music?

thanks.

i like the 10.5. :)

Offline sultan72

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #141 on: Oct 18, 2009 at 09:04 PM »
? please enlighten us :)

223mm H x 515mm W x 265mm D
its really big

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Oct 18, 2009 at 11:38 PM »
aba, at me review na pala ang diamond 10.5.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.5 review@techradar

Over and beyond these tonal balance factors, and in fact much more important in the overall scheme of things, the voice band in particular is notably well projected and reveals a very good coherence. That in turn leads to believable and informative music making, albeit within certain limitations.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #143 on: Oct 19, 2009 at 12:05 AM »
223mm H x 515mm W x 265mm D
its really big

vs.  for the 9cm
515x223x265(height on spike & plinth 233)

the same?
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Oct 19, 2009 at 12:07 AM »
In case you guys haven't checked out... the new look for the Wharfedale home page.  Starring the Diamond 10 ;D

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Oct 19, 2009 at 08:43 AM »
aba, at me review na pala ang diamond 10.5.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.5 review@techradar

10.5 - The overall tonal balance here is progressively down-tilted from the bass to the treble, so that the overall character might well be a little too warm, rich, and laid back for some tastes and systems.

napansin ko lang po. naim nap500 ang power amp na ginamit 100wpc at naim may rep. na fast forward detailed yet warm sounding pa rin ang 10.5. matindi kaya ang influence nung "heavily furnished" (carpets and curtains?) na listening area 4.4x2.6x5.5m (WxHxD) ?

take note: 86db 6ohms 10.5 ingat sa pag-partner ng amplification baka mabitin kayo o hindi mapiga ang potential ng speakers

as usual, 10.1 bulilits humakot accolades/ awards
http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/News/tabid/57/PID/163/Default.aspx
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2009 at 09:04 AM by ojof00l »

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #146 on: Oct 20, 2009 at 02:55 AM »
vs.  for the 9cm
515x223x265(height on spike & plinth 233)

the same?

mukang same nga  ;D

these babies are huge but fits well with sabre racks. just add the rubber stopper and no more vibrations!

good upgrade din for me as it fits well on the rack!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline ProtegeManiac

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Oct 20, 2009 at 01:13 PM »

10.5 - The overall tonal balance here is progressively down-tilted from the bass to the treble, so that the overall character might well be a little too warm, rich, and laid back for some tastes and systems.

napansin ko lang po. naim nap500 ang power amp na ginamit 100wpc at naim may rep. na fast forward detailed yet warm sounding pa rin ang 10.5. matindi kaya ang influence nung "heavily furnished" (carpets and curtains?) na listening area 4.4x2.6x5.5m (WxHxD) ?

take note: 86db 6ohms 10.5 ingat sa pag-partner ng amplification baka mabitin kayo o hindi mapiga ang potential ng speakers

as usual, 10.1 bulilits humakot accolades/ awards
http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/News/tabid/57/PID/163/Default.aspx

I used a NAD304 with upgraded powercord and Pre- to poweramp jumpers, was very warm but the vocals were  forward enough; female vocals a bit too much on the lush and rich side, the few male vocals we had at the time didn't sound too rich to be nasal or too unnatural (normally you'd expect they generally would be given the female vocals). The warmth of the overall sound made it seem kinda veiled, but if you don't sit too far back, the detail and extensions on the highs are there despite the warm overall tone. Thing with the 10.5 is thanks to the use of a bigger midrange it beats the 9.6 on staging imaging issues. You get sufficient midrange through the dedicated driver without the need to sit too far back. The 9.5 beats the 9.6 on that regard but tended to have vocals that were too shy despite not being warm. Meaning from the few times I heard it the volume is a bit too even and the vocalist seems to be sitting with her/his back resting on the drums. Vocals in non-audiophile standard recordings get lost in the mix.

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Oct 20, 2009 at 05:40 PM »
mukang same nga  ;D

these babies are huge but fits well with sabre racks. just add the rubber stopper and no more vibrations!

good upgrade din for me as it fits well on the rack!
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Upgrade nanaman brother John? ;D

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #149 on: Oct 21, 2009 at 08:54 AM »
hirap mag decide  ang dami kasi magagandang speakers ngyun and baka kasi dami bago and sale ng december  :D need to wait for WAF!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!