Author Topic: WDTV LIVE / WDTV2 Media Player  (Read 114094 times)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: WDTV LIVE / WDTV2 Media Player
« Reply #150 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM »
Thanks Gaol.  

Next question, have you tried that maverick looking component video output of the WDTV Live?  Im sure your plasma has component video input.

Next next question, so what's the BEEF about this device?  It's got to be imperfect somewhere.  

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #151 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 11:15 AM »
Thanks Gaol.  

Next question, have you tried that maverick looking component video output of the WDTV Live?  Im sure your plasma has component video input.

Next next question, so what's the BEEF of this device?  It's got to be imperfect somewhere.  

Thanks.

You read my mind! hehe  ;D

I was actually thinking of testing the component video out and maybe even the composite AV out just to be complete. Will keep you posted.  :)

As for the issues, browsing through avforums, I get the impression that if one has problems, it would be related to setting up and/or tweaking the network, especially for those using Windows 7 (which I assume is due to the fact Win7 just came out officially and teething problems with devices are to be expected, and eventually resolvable).

To me, nice to have would be internal storage (that's why I chose the HD Pro over the other players last Sept-early Oct). Maybe torrent downloads. Web-based services like YouTube etc are nice to try once, maybe show off to friends, but I won't find myself using them a lot--I think it's still easier to access them with a PC/Mac. Audio features, well, I have a separate audio set up.  :)

Personally, I think it boils down to what one wants from his media player:

If one wants possibly the best high def movie player today at a budget level price level, then the WDTV Live is it. While it can also do other stuff, its core competence and the primary reason for buying would be HD Movies. (I fall under this category, to paraphrase that "classic": "I want my, I want my, I want my MKV." hehe  ;D)

If one wants the heftiest feature-set--video, audio, web, webcams, iPhone remote etc.--then maybe the realtek players, led by the Xtreamer is more appropriate. (I'm also kind of a gadget-geek, so ....  ;D)

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2009 at 11:44 AM by gaol »

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #152 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 11:45 AM »
Mga Sirs,

I would just like to get feedback if the sound of WDTV Live is not weak? Whether it be AC3 or DTS...i noticed this with realtek based players.

I am getting interested with this.  ;D

TIA
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2009 at 11:48 AM by Tempter »
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #153 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 12:06 PM »
Aha, let me answer that...

I thought that the sound was too "soft" to sufficiently drive my amp but noticed that the sound would go wild during effects scenes.

One mistake I made was watch "Drag Me To Hell" at 3am, I got scared crapless. I like the signal strength, it has drama.  ;D

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 12:52 PM »
Aha, let me answer that...

I thought that the sound was too "soft" to sufficiently drive my amp but noticed that the sound would go wild during effects scenes.

One mistake I made was watch "Drag Me To Hell" at 3am, I got scared crapless. I like the signal strength, it has drama.  ;D

This is with the WDTV Live right? So you mean, sound is similar to realtek players? A little weak?

Yeah, I also watched drag me to hell around 12am and kept me holding the remote and my index finger constant on the volume control.  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2009 at 12:52 PM by Tempter »
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline leftover

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #155 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 01:35 PM »
This is with the WDTV Live right? So you mean, sound is similar to realtek players? A little weak?

Yeah, I also watched drag me to hell around 12am and kept me holding the remote and my index finger constant on the volume control.  ;D

correct me if i am wrong, but this maybe due to the dts downmixing lalo at wala kang dts capable receiver.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 02:09 PM »

Yes it's the WDTV Live that I have. I wouldn't categorize it as weak since there are really loud passages when the scene demands it. I set the volume to a comfortable level with dialog scenes but gets really loud with action/effects scenes, must be with regards to compression.

I would say that the sound is rather uncompressed, for example, all is well during the scene with the kid who stole jewelry then all hell breaks out when the ground opens up!  ;D

We have the Unborn on our list for tonight, wish me luck... ;D ;D ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 02:10 PM »
correct me if i am wrong, but this maybe due to the dts downmixing lalo at wala kang dts capable receiver.

could be very true indeed.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 02:52 PM »
I don't remember having to set my volume level any higher than usual compared with my DVD player, be it the WDTV Live or the HDPro but will double check. ...

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 03:21 PM »
I don't remember having to set my volume level any higher than usual compared with my DVD player, be it the WDTV Live or the HDPro but will double check. ...

Yes sir, maybe because you are using an AVR. But I am only using the TV's audio so the player is downmixing.

Actually I also notice it on regular DVDs, when you select 2ch audio it will become weaker compared to 5.1 channel audio.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 04:38 PM »
Next next question, so what's the BEEF about this device?  It's got to be imperfect somewhere.  

Thanks.

I've been asking myself the same question.......well, actually I have a WDTV1 and its gotta be the only media player that got criticized the most compared to the others - no dts, simple gui, no jukebox, no networking.........and the list goes on. you should see how this player and its company gets bashed on other international forums.
However, it was indeed the cheapest "player-only" when it came out and i have to admit that its PQ in both plasma & PJ is so stunning that some of my bluray friends left scratching their heads.
I guess it grew on me just like an old pair of comfortable jeans or sneakers :P

But like anything, we do upgrade.....and I've already set my sights on a different player/NMT and was ready to buy it last month. But i kinda held back on that purchase to give both the WD player & its company another chance by waiting and see what the new player has to offer.

I now believe it was worth the wait :)

Offline migsev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 05:33 PM »
Ok lang bro na tanungin mo uli si richie, he will gladly attend to you immediately. Baka busy lang siya and no time to open his email...but he is very accomodating and will also give you some insights re the things you want to know :) :)

Sent another email, hopefully he replies soon  :(

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #162 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 05:42 PM »
You can also call ehome at 7445923.

Offline migsev

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 08:55 PM »
Sumagot na rin!  ;D

Is anyone using it with a wifi dongle? What dongle can you recommend? Medyo mahal yung Linksys na N na nasa website eh. :-\

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #164 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 09:09 PM »
I've been asking myself the same question.......well, actually I have a WDTV1 and its gotta be the only media player that got criticized the most compared to the others - no dts, simple gui, no jukebox, no networking.........and the list goes on. you should see how this player and its company gets bashed on other international forums.
However, it was indeed the cheapest "player-only" when it came out and i have to admit that its PQ in both plasma & PJ is so stunning that some of my bluray friends left scratching their heads.
I guess it grew on me just like an old pair of comfortable jeans or sneakers :P

But like anything, we do upgrade.....and I've already set my sights on a different player/NMT and was ready to buy it last month. But i kinda held back on that purchase to give both the WD player & its company another chance by waiting and see what the new player has to offer.

I now believe it was worth the wait :)

so you got one already sir mac?

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM »
Thanks Gaol.  

Tried the custom component video cables, and it worked. You have a choice of YUB or RGB, and output resolutions from 480p to 1080i.

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Nov 12, 2009 at 09:19 AM »
Tried the custom component video cables, and it worked. You have a choice of YUB or RGB, and output resolutions from 480p to 1080i.

Thanks Gaol.  The limit in resolution could actually have been triggered by the highest setting of the plasma itself via component video connection, which is most likely 720p or 1080i.   This is quite good already and a BIG PLUS for WDTV for making this output option available, thus compatible with all types of HDTVs and high def monitors.

When are you going to sit down for more than 3 hours for The Godfather Eureka?    ;D  That file is really the toughest test and if the WDTV can actually play the entire movie smoothly and flawlessly, it would likely play 99% of MKVS available - then Im going to get this for Xmas.  :)

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Nov 12, 2009 at 10:15 PM »
Thanks Gaol.  The limit in resolution could actually have been triggered by the highest setting of the plasma itself via component video connection, which is most likely 720p or 1080i.   This is quite good already and a BIG PLUS for WDTV for making this output option available, thus compatible with all types of HDTVs and high def monitors.

When are you going to sit down for more than 3 hours for The Godfather Eureka?    ;D  That file is really the toughest test and if the WDTV can actually play the entire movie smoothly and flawlessly, it would likely play 99% of MKVS available - then Im going to get this for Xmas.  :)

I think the limit is 1080i for my 1080p plasma. Actually the 720p output via component video of a 720p movie looks very good.  :)

As for The Godfather, hopefully this weekend I get to watch. Otherwise, there's time yet before Xmas.  ;D Or maybe the other WD TV live owners can chime in.  ;)

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Nov 12, 2009 at 11:32 PM »
Hi Gaol,

Have you tried connecting a wifi dongle to connect to your router? Seems like a good idea for non-critical network connection and saves me from routing my cat5.

:)

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Nov 13, 2009 at 06:24 AM »
Hi Gaol,

Have you tried connecting a wifi dongle to connect to your router? Seems like a good idea for non-critical network connection and saves me from routing my cat5.

:)

Hi Jojo, yes I tried a Linksys WUSB54GC Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter, it didn't work (didn't work too on the HD Pro).

Western Digital lists the following as having been tested and shown to work with the WD TV Live:

USB Wireless Cards:

Brand   Model
Belkin   F5D8051 V3100
Belkin   F5D8055 v2
Buffalo   WLI-UC-G300HP
Buffalo   WLI-UC-G300N
Buffalo   Buffalo WLI-UC-GN US
D-Link   DWA-140 V1.30
EnGenius   EUB-9701
Linksys   WUSB100
Linksys   WUSB600N V1
Trendnet   TEW-644UB V1.0R
Trendnet   TEW-645UB
Trendnet   TEW-664UB V1.0R
Sitecom   WL-329 V1 001

Offline jecr3

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Nov 13, 2009 at 07:24 AM »

may i butt in guys? the USB wireless adapters listed on the WD site all have one thing in common. they all use a ralink chipset. i am using a wireless n bought from cdrking. yung encore ang brand and it works. 1380php price. hope it helps.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Offline Bitstream

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Ralink RT3070 chipset
« Reply #171 on: Nov 13, 2009 at 07:49 AM »
may i butt in guys? the USB wireless adapters listed on the WD site all have one thing in common. they all use a ralink chipset. i am using a wireless n bought from cdrking. yung encore ang brand and it works. 1380php price. hope it helps.

The Xtreamer USB Wireless-N Antenna/Dongle uses a "Ralink RT3070 Single Chip" solution.  This MAY work; the chipset is a "higher" model than that used in the wireless devices listed that have been tested to run on the WD TV Live .  Retail price is P1,100.00

Click on the link for specs
http://www.xtreamer.net/xtreamer/specs/wireless.aspx
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2009 at 08:13 AM by Bitstream »

Offline jecr3

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Nov 13, 2009 at 09:47 AM »

mas mura pala kay sir bitstream. i may get another one sir. san ang pickup?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Nov 13, 2009 at 10:00 AM »
Hi Jojo, yes I tried a Linksys WUSB54GC Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter, it didn't work (didn't work too on the HD Pro).

Western Digital lists the following as having been tested and shown to work with the WD TV Live:

USB Wireless Cards:

Brand   Model
Belkin   F5D8051 V3100
Belkin   F5D8055 v2
Buffalo   WLI-UC-G300HP
Buffalo   WLI-UC-G300N
Buffalo   Buffalo WLI-UC-GN US
D-Link   DWA-140 V1.30
EnGenius   EUB-9701
Linksys   WUSB100
Linksys   WUSB600N V1
Trendnet   TEW-644UB V1.0R
Trendnet   TEW-645UB
Trendnet   TEW-664UB V1.0R
Sitecom   WL-329 V1 001

Hi Gaol,

Thank you for the info Sir, may try this one this weekend.  :)

Sure! The more info the better.  ;D

That's a very good observation Sir, I have an Edimax USB wifi dongle that uses Ralink too on one of our PCs. Bought that one for P700 iirc.

Thanks!

Offline XmetaL

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Nov 13, 2009 at 11:16 AM »

i tried connecting my xtreamer antenna to the wdtv live but can't get it to work, im using a d-link di-524 router and has no problem with the combination with the xtreamer, ayaw sa wdtv live

probably thwe wdtv live isn't compatible with my router

let me test it again and find a workaround before the weekend
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2009 at 11:18 AM by XmeTaL »

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Nov 13, 2009 at 01:51 PM »

Hi! I'm not sure if it will work with the WD TV Live... it MAY work.  The RALINK chip used in the Xtreamer wi-fi appears to be a super-set of that used in the USB devices listed by Western Digital

You can pick up an Xtreamer USB Wireless-N Antenna at:

ABACUS MICRO
3rd Floor, VMall
Greenhills, San Juan

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
4th Floor, Shangri-La Mall
Mandaluyong

PINNACLE DISTRIBUTORS, INC.
198 G. Araneta Ave.
Sta. Mesa, Q.C.

Offline gaol

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Nov 13, 2009 at 01:59 PM »
Hi! I'm not sure if it will work with the WD TV Live... it MAY work.  The RALINK chip used in the Xtreamer wi-fi appears to be a super-set of that used in the USB devices listed by Western Digital

You can pick up an Xtreamer USB Wireless-N Antenna at:

ABACUS MICRO
3rd Floor, VMall
Greenhills, San Juan

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
4th Floor, Shangri-La Mall
Mandaluyong

PINNACLE DISTRIBUTORS, INC.
198 G. Araneta Ave.
Sta. Mesa, Q.C.

Hi Bitstream, is the selling price the same, i.e., also P1,100, at Abacus and SnS?

Offline Bitstream

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Nov 14, 2009 at 12:36 AM »
Hi Bitstream, is the selling price the same, i.e., also P1,100, at Abacus and SnS?

Yes, the price should be P1,100.00 from either vendor.  Let me know if you need any assistance!

Offline spoon

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Nov 14, 2009 at 01:54 PM »
ano chipset ng wdtv live? realtek din ba?

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Nov 14, 2009 at 02:01 PM »
so you got one already sir mac?

Yup, currently enroute ;D