Author Topic: Unofficial HTPC users thread: Tips, Tricks, and everything HTPC  (Read 231030 times)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Unofficial HTPC users thread: Tips, Tricks, and everything HTPC
« Reply #360 on: Nov 24, 2010 at 06:55 PM »
Nvidia 465-480 are exceptions for full SBS 3D capability according to Eureka.  Please consider another Nvidia 400 series (if you insist on an Nvidia) or an ATI 6000 series.

Offline firestorm

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #361 on: Nov 24, 2010 at 07:29 PM »
Hi, are you planning to do any gaming with this HTPC? Or are you just gonna play 2D/3D Bluray and MKV files? If it's the latter this PC you plan to assemble is really overkill. A quad core cpu will be more than enough also mid line range of GTX video card will also be ok. The savings you get can be used to buy more storage and also a bluray drive.

What display device are you plannng to pair with it?

Thanks.

Mga HTPC experts, what can you say about this 3D capable HTPC

(Processor) = AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition processor, 6 Cores, Top of the line AMD processor. Current Speed is overclocked to 4.1GHZ with turbo boost on 4.2Ghz, 100% stable @ 1.4750v, 24/7

(Processor Cooler) = Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Rev.c Black

(RAM) = G.skill Flare, Designed for AMD Phenom II x6 and for Phenom II x6 use only, 4GB, 2x2GB, DDR3,

(Video-card) = Nvdia GeForce GTX 480GPU Engine Specs:

(Hard Drive) = 1TB, 1000GB, Western Digital, SATA II, 7200RPM..

(Motherboard) = Asrock 890GX Extreme 3

(Power Supply) = Carbon Fibered Thermaltake Toughtpower 800watts
(Casing) = Modified XClio, A380, Full tower, Fully black finish

Windows 7 Ultimate

using the following:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_480_us.html
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=890GX%20Extreme3

Notes:
   1. Phenom II X6 6-Core CPU Ready
   2. Supports UCC feature (Unlock CPU Core)
   3. ASRock DuraCap (2.5 x longer life time), 100% Japan-made high-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors
   4. Advanced V8 + 2 Power Phase Design
   5. Supports CPU up to 140W
   6. Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1800(OC)
   7. Integrated AMD Radeon HD 4290 graphics, DX10.1 Class iGPU, Shader Model 4.1, Max. shared memory 512MB
   8. Built-in 128MB DDR3 1333MHz SidePort Memory
   9. Supports ATI™ Quad CrossFireX™, 3-Way CrossFireX™, CrossFireX™ and Hybrid CrossFireX™
  10. Multi VGA Output options: D-Sub, DVI-D and HDMI
  11. 1 x eSATA3 Connector, 6 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors, 2 x USB 3.0 ports, 2 x IEEE 1394 ports
  12. Smart Switch Design : 1 x Power Switch with LED, 1 x Reset Switch with LED, 1 x Clear CMOS Switch with LED
  13. Dr. Debug (7-Segment Debug LED)
  14. Supports ASRock Instant Boot, Instant Flash, OC DNA, OC Tuner, IES, Multi-Speed Fan Control
  15. 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection, DAC with 110dB dynamic range (VIA® VT2020 Audio Codec) , Premium Blu-ray audio support.
  16. ErP/EuP Ready

* Free Software: CyberLink DVD

64K for CPU only

Comments are very much welcome

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #362 on: Nov 24, 2010 at 10:54 PM »
Current Setup:

22" 2232GW LCD Samsung Monitor
2.93Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
4gb ddr2 RAM
Asus motherboard w/ built in 5.1 soundcard
3 x 1gb sata harddrive
Cooler Master 600W Power Supply
Altec Lansing VS325.1 (5.1 setup)

For my pc in my condo, planning to upgrade the speakers to DIY BS - (Genesis BS) and a sealed sub from sir anthony.

as i don't want to use a receiver to connect my pc for just speakers. can i use sir pilyo's AMP5 5 channel amplifier?  How do i connect it the amp to my built in soundcard? and how can i make the setup 5.1? buy AMP 4v2?

Or is it cost effective to buy an entry level receiver?

I won't be connecting the pc to 32" LCD TV.

Offline apollorod

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 03:14 PM »
Hi, are you planning to do any gaming with this HTPC? Or are you just gonna play 2D/3D Bluray and MKV files? If it's the latter this PC you plan to assemble is really overkill. A quad core cpu will be more than enough also mid line range of GTX video card will also be ok. The savings you get can be used to buy more storage and also a bluray drive.

What display device are you plannng to pair with it?

Thanks.

Thank you sir for your advise.
Yes, I intend to play mostly 2D mkv and 3D mkv (since dumadami na availability nito) in the future.
Can you edit the specs I mentioned with your optimum suggestions sir, so i could get a revised quotation?
Hope you could give more advise sir.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 03:50 PM »
Yes, I intend to play mostly 2D mkv and 3D mkv (since dumadami na availability nito) in the future.
Can you edit the specs I mentioned with your optimum suggestions sir, so i could get a revised quotation?

Kung serious ka sa 3D, wag kang magtipid sa CPU because simultaneous playback of full SBS 3D files would demand a lot - that's 1920x1080 by 2 = 3840x1080.  Intel i7 nga ang recommended ni Eureka.  How does i7 compare to your planned AMD chip?

Pero kung kakalimutan mo ang 3D, well maski Intel i3, C2D, C2Q, i5 class are better than OK - yung pang-desktop ne.

Take note, HDMI 1.4a compliance for 3D playback.

« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2010 at 03:50 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 04:31 PM »
Thank you sir for your advise.
Hope you could give more advise sir.

It would depend on what display device you intend to use.

I read your posts at the Acer H5360 thread, are you planning to use this as your display or are you planning to get 3D TV? And no bluray discs only mkvs right?

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: Nov 25, 2010 at 04:37 PM »
Kung serious ka sa 3D, wag kang magtipid sa CPU because simultaneous playback of full SBS 3D files would demand a lot - that's 1920x1080 by 2 = 3840x1080.  Intel i7 nga ang recommended ni Eureka.  How does i7 compare to your planned AMD chip?

Pero kung kakalimutan mo ang 3D, well maski Intel i3, C2D, C2Q, i5 class are better than OK - yung pang-desktop ne.

Take note, HDMI 1.4a compliance for 3D playback.

Hi Alan, doesn't these full SBS 3D mkv files support hardware acceleration (DXVA) like normal mkv files? These full SBS are they the ones made up of 2 seperate mkv files (left and right)? What software player do you use to play these? I've only tried some half SBS clips and they seem to support DXVA.

Thanks.

Offline apollorod

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #367 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 07:29 AM »
It would depend on what display device you intend to use.

I read your posts at the Acer H5360 thread, are you planning to use this as your display or are you planning to get 3D TV? And no bluray discs only mkvs right?

yes, i plan to buy acer h5360 pero need to make sure gagana ng walang problem with htpc.
i plan to play only 3D/2D mkvs, that's why im also considering an nmt (popcorn A-200) with 3D adopter (Optoma 3D-XL) kung gagana 3D mkvs.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 08:00 AM »
Hi Alan, doesn't these full SBS 3D mkv files support hardware acceleration (DXVA) like normal mkv files? These full SBS are they the ones made up of 2 seperate mkv files (left and right)? What software player do you use to play these? I've only tried some half SBS clips and they seem to support DXVA.

Hi Firestorm.  As I understand 3D-at-home using a PC, it all starts with a 3D-capable TV or monitor, a 3D-compatible graphics card in a Quad-Core (at least) PC, and a pair of active shutter glass.  Hence on the scale from 1-10, I am  at ZERO in terms of hardware  ;D :( ;D :(  even though I am 10-ready in terms of contents and software player.  hehehe.  So all I can do at the moment is literally stare at the files.  hahaha.

Anaglyph mode is allegedly working for stereoscopic player but that is so 19th century based on feedback - not much fun in terms of 3D-quality I guess.

Yeah most of the "workable" 3D contents seem to be left and right as single 3840x1080 encodes are apparently system killers.  Im actually getting confused on how the encoders are using the terms SBS against Left & Right but it appears that the encodes are in fact 2 x 1920x1080 or 2 x 960x1080.  The 2 most prolific encoders at the moment (Swemux and Eureka) concentrate only on 2 x 1920x1080 for the simple reason that 3D TVs and monitors are native full HD.

Stereoscopic Player seems to be the de facto standard at the moment for software playback but Ive read that some people also use TMT3 with 3D plug-in.  Im certain that TMT3 supports hardware acceleration but I dont know about Stereoscopic Player as I havent actually tried.  Kaya nga siguro Quad Core and sinasabi ni Swemux while Eureka is even more demanding at i7.  But the fact that certain graphics card models are specified as "3D-Capable", that reads "hardware acceleration" to me.   ;)    BTW, kahit gaano ako kabilib sa A200 or Mede8er, I totally have no confidence in the processing power of current gen NMTs in terms of 3D contents.  

Since my wife's desktop has conked out thus I have to hand-me-down my rig to her, then I would have a chance to build a 3D capable PC.  I have no plans of getting a real 3D HDTV for the next 2 years at least, hence my option would be one of those 3D capable monitors + Nvidia's 3D vision.

If your hardware is 3D-ready na, gusto mong subukin ang full length full SBS 3D contents in January?  

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2010 at 08:11 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM »
Hi Firestorm.  As I understand 3D-at-home using a PC, it all starts with a 3D-capable TV or monitor, a 3D-compatible graphics card in a Quad-Core (at least) PC, and a pair of active shutter glass.  Hence on the scale from 1-10, I am  at ZERO in terms of hardware  ;D :( ;D :(  even though I am 10-ready in terms of contents and software player.  hehehe.  So all I can do at the moment is literally stare at the files.  hahaha.

Anaglyph mode is allegedly working for stereoscopic player but that is so 19th century based on feedback - not much fun in terms of 3D-quality I guess.

Yeah most of the "workable" 3D contents seem to be left and right as single 3840x1080 encodes are apparently system killers.  Im actually getting confused on how the encoders are using the terms SBS against Left & Right but it appears that the encodes are in fact 2 x 1920x1080 or 2 x 960x1080.  The 2 most prolific encoders at the moment (Swemux and Eureka) concentrate only on 2 x 1920x1080 for the simple reason that 3D TVs and monitors are native full HD.

Stereoscopic Player seems to be the de facto standard at the moment for software playback but Ive read that some people also use TMT3 with 3D plug-in.  Im certain that TMT3 supports hardware acceleration but I dont know about Stereoscopic Player as I havent actually tried.  Kaya nga siguro Quad Core and sinasabi ni Swemux while Eureka is even more demanding at i7.  But the fact that certain graphics card models are specified as "3D-Capable", that reads "hardware acceleration" to me.   ;)    BTW, kahit gaano ako kabilib sa A200 or Mede8er, I totally have no confidence in the processing power of current gen NMTs in terms of 3D contents.  

Since my wife's desktop has conked out thus I have to hand-me-down my rig to her, then I would have a chance to build a 3D capable PC.  I have no plans of getting a real 3D HDTV for the next 2 years at least, hence my option would be one of those 3D capable monitors + Nvidia's 3D vision.

If your hardware is 3D-ready na, gusto mong subukin ang full length full SBS 3D contents in January?  

I did some research and I now see why Eureka recommends an I7 or powerful cpu for left/right full SBS files. Because as of now the only player that supports them is Stereoscopic player (also Nvidia 3D vision video player but it's just basically an OEM version) and it doesn't support hardware acceleration. TMT3 and PowerDVD10 supports hardware acceleration but it only supports half SBS and not full SBS. I've only tried half SBS clips on TMT3 and Nvidia 3D player and the CPU usage is only around 20-30% for TMT3 while for Nvidia it will go to 50-60%. I also tried the left/right option with Nvidia by opening up 2 1080 files and the CPU is 100% on a dual core AMD 2.7Ghz.

Your Popcorn a-200/Mederer/PC can play half SBS on a 3DTV with it's corresponding active shutter glasses. Because it's basically an ordinary 1080p mkv with 2 images at 960x1080 resolution. Just feed the video to the 3DTV and switch the 3D mode to SBS.

My PC has a 3D capable card (ATI 5770) and my brother has a 3D capable projector (Acer h5360) but we don't have 3D glasses. So I can't test 3d files in their full glory I've only been playing around with TMT3 and anaglyph glasses and some files produces good 3D what more on a true active shutter 3D setup. Do you only have full SBS files and wala bang small samples included with them?

If you plan to build a new 3D capable PC medyo mahal din. These are just the additional cost from a HTPC.

3D capable 120Hz monitor ($400-$500)
Nvidia 3D Vision video card (5000-10000 pesos depends if you need gaming performance since meron din    3D support for some PC games)
Nvidia 3D vision kit ($180 emitter + 1 pair of glasses)
extra pair of glasses ($130)
I7 or high end cpu for full SBS files (???)

I only wish TMT3/5 or PowerDVD can support full SBS soon no need to buy an expensive CPU.

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #370 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 11:17 AM »
yes, i plan to buy acer h5360 pero need to make sure gagana ng walang problem with htpc.
i plan to play only 3D/2D mkvs, that's why im also considering an nmt (popcorn A-200) with 3D adopter (Optoma 3D-XL) kung gagana 3D mkvs.

I've gotta admit all these 3D stuff is really confusing because of the different standards so I can see why you can get a little confused. The Optoma 3D-XL is not to be used with a NMT or PC. It is used to connect a HDMI 1.4a 3D frame packed device like a PS3 and standalone 3D bluray player to a Nvidia 3D vision display like the Acer h5360.

So if you just want to play 3D/2D mkvs from a PC to a Acer h5360. You just need a PC equipped with either

Nvidia 3D vision capable video card + Nvidia 3D vision kit (emitter + glasses)
AMD series 5000/6000 video card (6850 or 6870) + DLPlink glasses  

You can read constant_htpc's post sa Acer thread regarding the Nvidia setup
I read about the AMD setup sa ibang site.

no need for NMT and Optoma 3D-XL.

We still haven't talked about the audio setup you are gonna use, is it PC speakers or receiver with 5.1 setup?

What is your current PC setup (CPU and video card)? And have you already tried playing any 3D mkv files yet?

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM by firestorm »

Offline apollorod

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 12:04 PM »
I've gotta admit all these 3D stuff is really confusing because of the different standards so I can see why you can get a little confused. The Optoma 3D-XL is not to be used with a NMT or PC. It is used to connect a HDMI 1.4a 3D frame packed device like a PS3 and standalone 3D bluray player to a Nvidia 3D vision display like the Acer h5360.

So if you just want to play 3D/2D mkvs from a PC to a Acer h5360. You just need a PC equipped with either

Nvidia 3D vision capable video card + Nvidia 3D vision kit (emitter + glasses)
AMD series 5000/6000 video card (6850 or 6870) + DLPlink glasses  

Thanks firestorm, yes i'm a bit confused, I have read different discussion but I can't absorb all, maybe because I'm not a computer guy hehehe. Now i know Optoma 3D-XL cannot be used for NMT. I will eliminate this option. Therefore, i have to pursue on HTPC set up. On PC set-up, which do you prefer, Nvidia or AMD?

We still haven't talked about the audio setup you are gonna use, is it PC speakers or receiver with 5.1 setup?

I plan to use my receiver (capable of 7.1, but will set it only to 5.1). This receiver don't have hdmi, definitely i need a PC with either coaxial or optical/toslink audio out. What hardware/s would you recommend?

What is your current PC setup (CPU and video card)? And have you already tried playing any 3D mkv files yet?

I don't have a home PC yet. If ever, this will be my first set-up. I usually use office laptop for computing, internet and other needs. I tried 3D mkv files on this laptop using PowerDVD 10. And as I posted in one of the threads here, it shows 2 videos (up and under) simultaneously.

Thank you sir firestorm for taking time answering my queries. 

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 12:10 PM »
Thanks for the valuable info firestorm.  The working combinations of shutter glasses and software players and graphic cards are still rather murky to me but do you think an ATI card can be used in combination with Nvidia's active shutter glass?  I am pretty much an ATI loyalist hence would rather get a 3D-capable ATI card once I start building a new desktop, while the Nvidia 3D Vision Kit is very easy to find.

The moderators have been trying to persuade both Eureka and Swemux to release half SBS 3D or 720p 3D or even half 720p 3D but both are sticking to full SBS thus far kahit nag-o-overlap sila ng released 3D title.  Their main difference is, Eureka keeps the HD audio (thus making his releases even more demanding in terms of hardware), while Swemux likes DD5.1 and DTS.   Kaya even though Eureka is most highly respected whatever he releases, the 3D encodes of Swemux are very much appreciated for being more usable to those not having cutting edge PC hardware, not to mention Swemux being sooo prolific in terms of 3D releases.   So as regards full length 3D contents, full SBS 3D lang ang available at sites I regularly visit.  The filesizes are surprisingly not that big - almost the same as single 1080p mkv lang.  Or perhaps kasi most of the 3D titles are CG type/animated movies.  How to play those ang major major financial challenge.  hehehe.

It would be great if NMT makers can figure out how to play those SBS/Left-Right/Up-Down files.

Oh, half SBS lang ba ang kaya ng TMT3 even with the 3D plug-in?    TMT3 is my favorite pure BD rip player if I want to access all extra contents and menus other than the main movie, and if the A200 stutters due to high video bitrate.  Really rocks!
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2010 at 12:13 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 01:00 PM »
Thanks firestorm, yes i'm a bit confused, I have read different discussion but I can't absorb all, maybe because I'm not a computer guy hehehe. Now i know Optoma 3D-XL cannot be used for NMT. I will eliminate this option. Therefore, i have to pursue on HTPC set up. On PC set-up, which do you prefer, Nvidia or AMD?

I plan to use my receiver (capable of 7.1, but will set it only to 5.1). This receiver don't have hdmi, definitely i need a PC with either coaxial or optical/toslink audio out. What hardware/s would you recommend?

I don't have a home PC yet. If ever, this will be my first set-up. I usually use office laptop for computing, internet and other needs. I tried 3D mkv files on this laptop using PowerDVD 10. And as I posted in one of the threads here, it shows 2 videos (up and under) simultaneously.

Thank you sir firestorm for taking time answering my queries. 

I've been using ATI cards for the past several years. But the problem with ATI is they only released their AMD HD3D platform this October 2010 with Catalyst 10.10 so it's too early to tell how they will perform in the long run. While Nvidia 3D vision has been out for the last 2 years so mas prevalent na ang support for it. Like for 3D 120hz monitors they have more than 10 models available while for AMD compatible monitors only 1 to 2 are available now. The main difference between them is that Nvidia is proprietary so you need their 3D vision kit (with the emitter and glasses) for games and movies. While AMD relies on 3rd party support for games (iz3d and tridef) and glasses (for games/movies) and monitors. So if you are buying now it might be safer to buy Nvidia but if you can wait a while we can see how AMD will perform in the next few months.

I have no experience with optical out on the motherboard (I've only used HDMI to my receiver). But after you've decided what chip (Intel or AMD) you want, there should be a motherboard that supports that chip with optical out built in.

What version is your PowerDVD? Doesn't it have a setup screen to choose whether left/right or up/down or ordinary 2D? You should just be seeing one image after the software merges it into one. I use Total Media Theatre and you have to change the setting depending on the source file. I was able to view the 3D effect with ordinary red/blue anaglyph glasses.

Glad I could help. I just started getting interested in 3D this week and I've been reading a lot on the net at first it was confusing I seem to be getting the hang of it now. But I still have lots of unanswered questions myself. Wish I had the budget to invest on the hardware.

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 01:30 PM »
Thanks for the valuable info firestorm.  The working combinations of shutter glasses and software players and graphic cards are still rather murky to me but do you think an ATI card can be used in combination with Nvidia's active shutter glass?  I am pretty much an ATI loyalist hence would rather get a 3D-capable ATI card once I start building a new desktop, while the Nvidia 3D Vision Kit is very easy to find.

The moderators have been trying to persuade both Eureka and Swemux to release half SBS 3D or 720p 3D or even half 720p 3D but both are sticking to full SBS thus far kahit nag-o-overlap sila ng released 3D title.  Their main difference is, Eureka keeps the HD audio (thus making his releases even more demanding in terms of hardware), while Swemux likes DD5.1 and DTS.   Kaya even though Eureka is most highly respected whatever he releases, the 3D encodes of Swemux are very much appreciated for being more usable to those not having cutting edge PC hardware, not to mention Swemux being sooo prolific in terms of 3D releases.   So as regards full length 3D contents, full SBS 3D lang ang available at sites I regularly visit.  The filesizes are surprisingly not that big - almost the same as single 1080p mkv lang.  Or perhaps kasi most of the 3D titles are CG type/animated movies.  How to play those ang major major financial challenge.  hehehe.

It would be great if NMT makers can figure out how to play those SBS/Left-Right/Up-Down files.

Oh, half SBS lang ba ang kaya ng TMT3 even with the 3D plug-in?    TMT3 is my favorite pure BD rip player if I want to access all extra contents and menus other than the main movie, and if the A200 stutters due to high video bitrate.  Really rocks!

I'm sure Nvidia glasses won't work with AMD/ATI video cards. They are main competitors in the PC video card market and they won't help each other out. Just like Samsung, Sony and Panasonic's glasses are not compatible with each other. I think AMD's 3D strategy is geared more towards the home consumer market with HDMI 1.4a 3DTV and their glasses. That's why they didn't release their own AMD branded active shutter glasses. Also for monitors you can't buy the ones compatible with Nvidia 3D vision which uses dual link DVI connections while the AMD HD3D will be using HDMI 1.4a I think this is one of the few available.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/14/viewsonic-rolls-out-24-inch-v3d241wm-led-monitor-with-3d-glasses/

I've already seen half sbs releases with dts/ac3 of all available bluray 3d titles on 1 site they also have full SBS. And you are right, the filesizes are reasonable naman especially with your connection but not with mine.

I don't think the current batch of NMT will be able to handle full sbs like you said they are already some BD rips with playback problems. maybe the new chips will do this.

TMT doesn't have an option to open 2 mkv files at once. While for Stereoscopic player it has options to open file and open left/right file.

Offline apollorod

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 05:07 PM »
I've been using ATI cards for the past several years. But the problem with ATI is they only released their AMD HD3D platform this October 2010 with Catalyst 10.10 so it's too early to tell how they will perform in the long run. While Nvidia 3D vision has been out for the last 2 years so mas prevalent na ang support for it. Like for 3D 120hz monitors they have more than 10 models available while for AMD compatible monitors only 1 to 2 are available now. The main difference between them is that Nvidia is proprietary so you need their 3D vision kit (with the emitter and glasses) for games and movies. While AMD relies on 3rd party support for games (iz3d and tridef) and glasses (for games/movies) and monitors. So if you are buying now it might be safer to buy Nvidia but if you can wait a while we can see how AMD will perform in the next few months.

I have no experience with optical out on the motherboard (I've only used HDMI to my receiver). But after you've decided what chip (Intel or AMD) you want, there should be a motherboard that supports that chip with optical out built in.

What version is your PowerDVD? Doesn't it have a setup screen to choose whether left/right or up/down or ordinary 2D? You should just be seeing one image after the software merges it into one. I use Total Media Theatre and you have to change the setting depending on the source file. I was able to view the 3D effect with ordinary red/blue anaglyph glasses.

Glad I could help. I just started getting interested in 3D this week and I've been reading a lot on the net at first it was confusing I seem to be getting the hang of it now. But I still have lots of unanswered questions myself. Wish I had the budget to invest on the hardware.

Thanks firestorm for the tip on whether Nvidia or AMD and re the motherboard.
By the way, I have powerDVD10. Have not explored much on its settings since laptop screen can't support 3D display and it has no Nvidia 3D installed.
For the meantime, I'll have to ask for revised quotation for HTPC enough to play 3D/2D mkv movies (with your suggestions on hand :)). Hopefully, I could get a budget set-up and ask for "test drive" before acquiring it.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #376 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 10:49 PM »

3D capable 120Hz monitor ($400-$500)
Nvidia 3D Vision video card (5000-10000 pesos depends if you need gaming performance since meron din    3D support for some PC games)
Nvidia 3D vision kit ($180 emitter + 1 pair of glasses)
extra pair of glasses ($130)
I7 or high end cpu for full SBS files (???)

Went around Akihabara after work tonight to consult with the PC experts there.  Here's what I got:

i7-870 powered PC with Nvidia GTX460, P55 Chipset, 4GB DDR3 PC3-10600 Mem, 1TB HDD, Win 7 Home Premium:  80K Yen
120Hz IPS Monitor, 23.6-inch LG:  Coming out in Jan 2011 (current LG model is TN panel):  39K Yen
Nvidia 3D Vision Kit:  19.8K Yen

The desktop is an item I have to buy so no issue on that.  Pero yung items 2 and 3 above can be considered as luho just to be able to watch 3D movies.  (ang mumura na sana ng 60Hz IPS monitors na 23-27 inchers). At approx. 60K Yen for the 3D capable monitor and Nvidia 3D Kit, I can possibly build another desktop or buy 3 sets of A200s.  Oh well bahala na.

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #377 on: Nov 26, 2010 at 11:21 PM »
Went around Akihabara after work tonight to consult with the PC experts there.  Here's what I got:

i7-870 powered PC with Nvidia GTX460, P55 Chipset, 4GB DDR3 PC3-10600 Mem, 1TB HDD, Win 7 Home Premium:  80K Yen
120Hz IPS Monitor, 23.6-inch LG:  Coming out in Jan 2011 (current LG model is TN panel):  39K Yen
Nvidia 3D Vision Kit:  19.8K Yen

The desktop is an item I have to buy so no issue on that.  Pero yung items 2 and 3 above can be considered as luho just to be able to watch 3D movies.  (ang mumura na sana ng 60Hz IPS monitors na 23-27 inchers). At approx. 60K Yen for the 3D capable monitor and Nvidia 3D Kit, I can possibly build another desktop or buy 3 sets of A200s.  Oh well bahala na.

I guess you could buy the PC first and hold off on the monitor and 3D kit. Desktop lang naman siguro ang nasira at ok pa yun monitor ng misis mo. I'm thinking by mid to end of 2011 we will see if 3D will flourish in the market. As of now, there are barely 20+ movies which supports 3D. And maybe by that time you can go straight to a big 3DTV like you say always bigger is always better.

How's the consumer reception of 3D TVs there sa Japan? Walang bang demo unit sa mga stores, maybe you can bring your portable hard disc and try out a half sbs file on it?

edit : suggestions

After doing some more research you can save some more on your desktop.

1. Since you are capable of sourcing full 3D Bluray (not full SBS left/right) and planning to get a GTX 460 card. You can change your I7 quad core to a simple dual core/tri core. Both TMT3 and PowerDVD10 support hardware MVC decoding (which is needed for full 3D Bluray discs) so CPU utilization will be low.

2. If you don't plan to do any gaming, you can swap out the GTX 460 for a GTS 450 or GT 430. They both feature MVC decoding but it's slower for gaming.

BTW, what GTX-460 was quoted the 1GB or 768MB version? The 768MB version will save you some more
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2010 at 09:53 AM by firestorm »

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 10:02 AM »
Thanks firestorm for the tip on whether Nvidia or AMD and re the motherboard.
By the way, I have powerDVD10. Have not explored much on its settings since laptop screen can't support 3D display and it has no Nvidia 3D installed.
For the meantime, I'll have to ask for revised quotation for HTPC enough to play 3D/2D mkv movies (with your suggestions on hand :)). Hopefully, I could get a budget set-up and ask for "test drive" before acquiring it.

The suggestion in the post above is applicable for your quotations purposes. You don't plan to do any gaming the only difference above is your are only trying to do 3D mkv files and not full Blurays. There are 2 types of 3D mkv - full SBS and half SBS. You're planning to use it on an Acer h5360 which is a 720p projector so half SBS will be ideal for your purposes. full SBS will require a high end quad core CPU. A dual core 3.0GHZ CPU and Nvidia GT 430 will be enough. That's a budget HTPC. Hope this helps.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 11:51 AM »
Yeah ganon na nga ang plan of action firestorm; buy the required PC first and reconsider the optional hardware for 3D playback.

3D HDTV will eventually flourish but I think my fix for the next 2 years at least would have to be the PC on a 3D-capable monitor.  I just got 2 V2 plasmas and they are absolutely awesome 2D HDTVs - no need to upgrade too soon regardless of lack of 3D capability.

HDTV sales is at a peak in Tokyo right now.  You wouldnt believe that you'd have to take a number to be entertained by the sales staff, another 30-45 mins queue at the cashier (that they have to provide seats for old people who cant stand too long), and on top of that, up to 3 weeks of delivery time for popular high-end models like the plasma V2.

Lahat ng 3D makes have their demo booths (Panasonic, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba).  Im quite impressed with their quality and have no doubt that if I can provide the content, they would look great.  However, I dont expect any store would allow testing of downloaded 3D stuff - they are too strict on those Copyright Infringement thingy here.  Of course they want us to buy 3D Bluray players.

Thanks for the suggestions but Im pretty much OK with the quoted BTO configuration because the price difference between the i7 870 and the new quad core i5 (7xx series) is only about 3K Yen (roughly 1.5K pesos).   However, the downgrade from GTX460 to GTS450 seems more interesting in terms of savings.  I didnt really look at the full details of the GTX460 as my attention was mostly fixed on the total price and my inner self was whispering "ATI sana".  hehehe
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2010 at 11:52 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 12:35 PM »
If you want to go ATI video card, maybe you could first go for a motherboard with onboard video for the I7. In a few months I'm sure more LCD monitors supporting AMD HD3D will be out maybe with better 3D glasses. Because as of now only 2 AMD/ATI cards are available 6850 and 6870.

The one weakness I've read about Nvidia's glasses is they lose a lot of the brightness. And the Acer monitor I linked before claimed that their included glasses will produce 3x brightness compared to Nvidia's.

Yeah ganon na nga ang plan of action firestorm; buy the required PC first and reconsider the optional hardware for 3D playback.

3D HDTV will eventually flourish but I think my fix for the next 2 years at least would have to be the PC on a 3D-capable monitor.  I just got 2 V2 plasmas and they are absolutely awesome 2D HDTVs - no need to upgrade too soon regardless of lack of 3D capability.

HDTV sales is at a peak in Tokyo right now.  You wouldnt believe that you'd have to take a number to be entertained by the sales staff, another 30-45 mins queue at the cashier (that they have to provide seats for old people who cant stand too long), and on top of that, up to 3 weeks of delivery time for popular high-end models like the plasma V2.

Lahat ng 3D makes have their demo booths (Panasonic, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba).  Im quite impressed with their quality and have no doubt that if I can provide the content, they would look great.  However, I dont expect any store would allow testing of downloaded 3D stuff - they are too strict on those Copyright Infringement thingy here.  Of course they want us to buy 3D Bluray players.

Thanks for the suggestions but Im pretty much OK with the quoted BTO configuration because the price difference between the i7 870 and the new quad core i5 (7xx series) is only about 3K Yen (roughly 1.5K pesos).   However, the downgrade from GTX460 to GTS450 seems more interesting in terms of savings.  I didnt really look at the full details of the GTX460 as my attention was mostly fixed on the total price and my inner self was whispering "ATI sana".  hehehe

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 01:43 PM »
That's a good suggestion.  Actually I can still use my wife's HD3870 from the dead Dell desktop and save me (hopefully) around $100 for now.  "Hopefully" kasi BTO PC shops in Tokyo are the ones deciding on the basic bundles so since the GTX460 is part of the basic i7 package, the price reduction to opt for on-board graphics would not exactly be close to the market price of GTX460 alone.

Or I can simply offer the HD3870 sa TipidPC and go for the Nvidia bundle na.  I dont know how much I can get for the HD3870 though.  How much can I sell my Sapphire HD3870 nga pala?

Well, even all the real 3DTVs lose a lot of brightness when you wear the funky glasses kaya nga right now, I feel that medyo advantage ang LED tech over plasma because of its inherent brightness. I actually tried the Nvidia glasses last night - kinda cheap construction compared to those bundled with 3D HDTV but well, it was comfortable enough even on top of my eyeglasses.  May kaliitan nga lang talaga ang 23.6 inch monitor for 3D, but on the positive side, 24 inch is pretty ideal for regular PC use.

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: Nov 27, 2010 at 11:13 PM »
That's a good suggestion.  Actually I can still use my wife's HD3870 from the dead Dell desktop and save me (hopefully) around $100 for now.  "Hopefully" kasi BTO PC shops in Tokyo are the ones deciding on the basic bundles so since the GTX460 is part of the basic i7 package, the price reduction to opt for on-board graphics would not exactly be close to the market price of GTX460 alone.

Or I can simply offer the HD3870 sa TipidPC and go for the Nvidia bundle na.  I dont know how much I can get for the HD3870 though.  How much can I sell my Sapphire HD3870 nga pala?

Well, even all the real 3DTVs lose a lot of brightness when you wear the funky glasses kaya nga right now, I feel that medyo advantage ang LED tech over plasma because of its inherent brightness. I actually tried the Nvidia glasses last night - kinda cheap construction compared to those bundled with 3D HDTV but well, it was comfortable enough even on top of my eyeglasses.  May kaliitan nga lang talaga ang 23.6 inch monitor for 3D, but on the positive side, 24 inch is pretty ideal for regular PC use.

If you could save $100 from the bundle I say go for it and use the HD3870. I'm not sure if you could sell it for the equivalent of $100 sa tipidpc (doing a quick search saw prices ranging from 2500-3000). It's a high end card for the 3000 series but the technology is 3 generations old and gamers would usually just upgrade to the latest cards. The best bet of selling it for a good price is to find someone who already has a HD3870 or other 3000 series and looking to do crossfire setup with it.

And lastly is there no chance to repair your wife's dell? Or you no longer have any interest to test so you can a get a new pc there (joke).

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: Nov 28, 2010 at 09:55 AM »
And lastly is there no chance to repair your wife's dell? Or you no longer have any interest to test so you can a get a new pc there (joke).

It is a Dell Dimension 9100 Pentium D 3.0G which I bought 5 1/2 years ago.  Sabi sa Gilmore and Cyberzone, dead motherboard DAW but I havent actually tested myself because the unit conked out in Sept in Manila.   My wife tried re-sitting the parts she knew how to do (memory modules, HDDs, sound and graphic cards) pero ayaw talaga mag-boot and just went straight to the "trouble-warning lights".  The front diagnostic lights were indicating "bring to service center trouble" as per Dimension 9100 manual.   I can possibly look for junked Dimension 9100 mobo here, or go to Dell's service center in Tokyo but Im not sure if that is still worth the effort considering that the unit is about 15kgs, and it's more than 5 years old.  Pero ngayon ko lang naranasan na mukhang talagang dead ang PC - before, I threw away old PCs which were still usable.

Thanks for info about the 3870.  Yeah Im not expecting too much about the current market price of that card, and I also have plans to swap that with the 4850 Im using in my desktop here.  Mas mainit and power hungry yung 4850 and I dont do PC gaming no more anyways.

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: Nov 28, 2010 at 10:14 AM »
It is a Dell Dimension 9100 Pentium D 3.0G which I bought 5 1/2 years ago.  Sabi sa Gilmore and Cyberzone, dead motherboard DAW but I havent actually tested myself because the unit conked out in Sept in Manila.   My wife tried re-sitting the parts she knew how to do (memory modules, HDDs, sound and graphic cards) pero ayaw talaga mag-boot and just went straight to the "trouble-warning lights".  The front diagnostic lights were indicating "bring to service center trouble" as per Dimension 9100 manual.   I can possibly look for junked Dimension 9100 mobo here, or go to Dell's service center in Tokyo but Im not sure if that is still worth the effort considering that the unit is about 15kgs, and it's more than 5 years old.  Pero ngayon ko lang naranasan na mukhang talagang dead ang PC - before, I threw away old PCs which were still usable.

Thanks for info about the 3870.  Yeah Im not expecting too much about the current market price of that card, and I also have plans to swap that with the 4850 Im using in my desktop here.  Mas mainit and power hungry yung 4850 and I dont do PC gaming no more anyways.

Yeah it's not worth the effort to try to revive the Dell, 5-1/2 years is good enough already and I'm pretty sure it was being used everyday. And 15 kgs that's one heavy desktop.

You might start gaming again when you get your 3D vision setup just to try out the 3D effect.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 264
« Reply #385 on: Dec 04, 2010 at 12:20 AM »

Dadating kaya to sa 'pinas?

Offline coolswitch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: Dec 06, 2010 at 12:30 PM »
@Clondalkin

Sir I work at DELL. About sa diagnostics light, it is marked by either 1-4 or A-D. Ano po yung exact code na naka-light up?

The manual will not indicate what it is for except for contact dell. But we have information what each code exactly means and what needs to be replaced or if indeed it needs replacement or just a reseat
*************************************************************************************

@ All

I was planning to get either an NMT or build an HTPC pero more on balanced for gaming din. Bago ko buuin, I tried my old system, SIS 616 onboard graphics on my LCD TV (samsung series 3). Optimum resolution for the LCD is 1366x768, and binago ko din resolution nung PC. However, parang masyado malaki yung lumalabas na display, need pa i-gilid ng husto yung mouse pointer para mag move at makita yung left and/or right side nung actual display

Any idea?

Is it the LCD or the Onboard Video?

Buo lang lalabas kapag 1024x768 ang setting ng video card
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2010 at 12:37 PM by coolswitch »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #387 on: Dec 13, 2010 at 09:23 PM »
Half-SBS 3D is very light on a C2D but without a 3D-Ready TV, the images literally display as Side-By-Side - living up to its acronym.   ;D ;D ;D

Full-SBS 3D is a beast.  My C2D could barely move the file counter.

Offline firestorm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #388 on: Dec 13, 2010 at 09:42 PM »
Half-SBS 3D is very light on a C2D but without a 3D-Ready TV, the images literally display as Side-By-Side - living up to its acronym.   ;D ;D ;D

Full-SBS 3D is a beast.  My C2D could barely move the file counter.

Have you tried playing the Half SBS 3D file thru TMT3? Turn on 3D mode with the setting as Side by Side and your display device setup as no 3D display and you can use the ordinarly anaglyph red/blue glasses to see the 3D effect. Of course the quality won't be as good as active shutter glasses but at least we can see the 3D effect on our non 3D-Ready displays.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #389 on: Dec 14, 2010 at 08:52 AM »
Have you tried playing the Half SBS 3D file thru TMT3? Turn on 3D mode with the setting as Side by Side and your display device setup as no 3D display and you can use the ordinarly anaglyph red/blue glasses to see the 3D effect. Of course the quality won't be as good as active shutter glasses but at least we can see the 3D effect on our non 3D-Ready displays.

I just tried using KMP to find out if anything would actually be displayed.  And for half-SBS 3D, there were 2 images displayed simultaneously and in perfect sync, with pleasantly smooth rendition, although the monitor was literally divided into 2 equal areas.  Hehehe.

For full-SBS 3D, my current hardware is hopeless.

I haven't installed the 3D plug-in for TMT3.