Author Topic: Panasonic 42X20 Review (2nd update with pic)  (Read 104470 times)

Offline artsky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Panasonic 42X20 Review (2nd update with pic)
« Reply #390 on: Mar 15, 2011 at 04:25 PM »
why 4:3? pangit ba sa zoom3?

Offline Ragoney

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #391 on: Mar 15, 2011 at 07:13 PM »
To those who want to have the motionflow/trumotion effect on this TV, do the following:

1. Set your media player / source at 720p@50hz / 1080i@50hz / 1080p@50hz.
2. Go to the TV's menu and select Setup
3. Select Other Settings
4. You will be able to change refresh rate to 100hz for a 'smoother effect'.

Unfortunately for xbox users, if your unit is US/Japan you won't be able to change it because it only supports 60hz for all resolutions.
its not possible for PS3 as well, unless you have an EU unit.

Offline erj2daizzo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #392 on: Mar 15, 2011 at 07:53 PM »
its not possible for PS3 as well, unless you have an EU unit.

sir anu po ung EU?

Offline macoyzki

• Apprentice
  • Say NO to drugs!
  • Liked:
« Reply #393 on: Mar 16, 2011 at 06:44 AM »
Hi mga sirs,

Newbie here. I can say this forum really offers great ideas!
I went to SnS yesterday and compared 42x20 plasma with other LCDs and this plasma really rocks! I might purchase this by end of the month. What hometheater would you recommend? LG-HT805PM  or Pana SC-PT85?  TIA! :)

Offline Ragoney

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #394 on: Mar 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM »

Offline tonyino

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #395 on: Mar 24, 2011 at 08:42 PM »
Ako din just got my 42X20!  ;D May zoom/aspect ratio button sa remote dude.
Sa upper left ng bilog. Meron pa nga hanggang zoom X3. Naka JUST settings ako ngayon.

Yes, I use the zoom function, but I cannot see the SkyCable Digibox info sa bottom of the screen pag naka zoom. Anyway thanks for the info.

Offline bopol2

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #396 on: Mar 30, 2011 at 02:53 AM »
Just got mine yesterday at golden sounds greenhills for 27K  :D

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #397 on: Mar 30, 2011 at 09:25 AM »
Just got mine yesterday at golden sounds greenhills for 27K  :D
oh my ang mura. hows the warranty bro? san sya sa greenhills? baka may # ka paki-pm nalang  ;)

Offline bopol2

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #398 on: Mar 31, 2011 at 02:59 AM »
oh my ang mura. hows the warranty bro? san sya sa greenhills? baka may # ka paki-pm nalang  ;)

golden sounds Vmall greenhills 3rd flr

1month replacemnt warranty ,1 year warranty parts and service
panasonic 42A20S

Offline scorpionzero

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #399 on: Mar 31, 2011 at 06:38 AM »
golden sounds Vmall greenhills 3rd flr

1month replacemnt warranty ,1 year warranty parts and service
panasonic 42A20S

may floating black issues ka bang napapansin sa tv mo? yung biglang dilim biglang liwanag ng black. tnx

Offline mr_spockz

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #400 on: Mar 31, 2011 at 10:15 AM »
@all
 i need some advice guys,it seems that 42le5500 willl not be available anymore at kung meron man e ang mamahal na gaya sa sm appliance center.now the question is worth it ba maghintay kung magkakastock pa sa suking tindahan o will this 42x20 will satisfy me?

Offline bopol2

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #401 on: Apr 02, 2011 at 02:19 AM »
may floating black issues ka bang napapansin sa tv mo? yung biglang dilim biglang liwanag ng black. tnx

wala pa naman po sir

Offline scorpionzero

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #402 on: Apr 02, 2011 at 06:28 AM »
help po mga masters, hows the shadow detail and greyscale tracking sa panel ng model na toh?any idea sa default gamma figures neto?sa may mga TV na ganito, ano meron sa picture control bukod sa brightness and contrast, may gamma settings ba and other stuff? thanks

Offline scorpionzero

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #403 on: Apr 03, 2011 at 09:58 PM »
help, just bought this tv, super ganda ng PQ nya compare sa ibang LCD tv na katabi nya sa shop that plays the same demo, pagdating sa bahay i hooked it up sa PS3 and played some HD videos that i have (HD Demo Materials). and.... ang pangit ng PQ!!!!... bat ganun? sure black level is black, pero the whole picture is dark, comparing to my sony 32" D series dati, colors are oversaturated in a bad way (washed out kinda thing), fake looking greens, shadow details is lost in dark scenes, even in cinema settings. HELP ano ba magandang settings? share nyo naman settings nyo para ma-try ko, tia!

btw need ko ba mag break-in since bago lang sakin? o ok lang na hindi?

Offline mr_spockz

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #404 on: Apr 04, 2011 at 02:14 PM »
pa join ako dito mga sir.just got my 42x20.kakadeliver lang hehe

Offline scorpionzero

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #405 on: Apr 05, 2011 at 01:32 PM »
share ko lang :D medyo happy na ko naayos ko na din yung problem ko above, baka makatulong sa iba.

i own a panasonic 42A2, equivalent sya ng 42x20 100%, out of the box settings nya gives you this pictures:

Note: selecting from this presets not only gives you different pre-adjusted contrast, color, etc that you can adjust yourself, but also color range and black-level that only high-end panasonic plasma has.

Dynamic: (shop settings):bright, vivid unnatural greens and red push, extreme black crush, meaning you will lose a large amount of shadow details sa dark scenes or sa mga black objects like coats and indoor scenes that has low amount of light..

Normal: gives you a more balanced picture with little black crush again, vivid unnatural greens and red push, i think the color gamut in this preset exceeds the color standards agreed upon (exceeding that gamut limit will cause errors in color reproduction) or artificial color recoding is applied (3d color management = on by default?).

Cinema: gives you more natural looking colors and very good amount of shadow details. this is the preset that you should start with and then calibrate to your liking.

Game: almost same as with "Normal" but a little difference in brightness and colors.

i kept the cinema preset settings and adjusted the color from 40-45 and sharpness to 30.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #406 on: Apr 05, 2011 at 01:41 PM »
share ko lang :D medyo happy na ko naayos ko na din yung problem ko above, baka makatulong sa iba.

i own a panasonic 42A2, equivalent sya ng 42x20 100%, out of the box settings nya gives you this pictures:

Note: selecting from this presets not only gives you different pre-adjusted contrast, color, etc that you can adjust yourself, but also color range and black-level that only high-end panasonic plasma has.

Dynamic: (shop settings):bright, vivid unnatural greens and red push, extreme black crush, meaning you will lose a large amount of shadow details sa dark scenes or sa mga black objects like coats and indoor scenes that has low amount of light..

Normal: gives you a more balanced picture with little black crush again, vivid unnatural greens and red push, i think the color gamut in this preset exceeds the color standards agreed upon (exceeding that gamut limit will cause errors in color reproduction) or artificial color recoding is applied (3d color management = on by default?).

Cinema: gives you more natural looking colors and very good amount of shadow details. this is the preset that you should start with and then calibrate to your liking.

Game: almost same as with "Normal" but a little difference in brightness and colors.

i kept the cinema preset settings and adjusted the color from 40-45 and sharpness to 30.

One thing I noticed with this TV is that the defaults are biased to conserve energy (i guess para maka-quote ng mababang average power consumption). Calibrating the panel for maximum usable contrast and proper color reproduction throws away most of the claimed improvements sa power consumption, but it helps the picture quality tremendously.

Older Panny plasmas (and higher models) default to a setting that is biased in favor of PQ (closer to a properly-calibrated panel).

Offline rodelm172

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #407 on: Apr 05, 2011 at 01:49 PM »
Just want to ask, how does this unit perform when it comes to TV viewing (analog signal)? Acceptable? Terrible?  ???

I am choosing between this and the Toshiba LCD models with signal booster and this could be a deciding factor.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline scorpionzero

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: Apr 05, 2011 at 02:09 PM »
@stagea, ye thats why all presets except dynamic has its contrast set at 50%, increasing the contrast to 80-85% will give that pop in PQ you see in LCD.

dnt you think the colors even in cinema settings a bit oversaturated? mind sharing your picture settings?

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #409 on: Apr 05, 2011 at 03:40 PM »
@stagea, ye thats why all presets except dynamic has its contrast set at 50%, increasing the contrast to 80-85% will give that pop in PQ you see in LCD.

dnt you think the colors even in cinema settings a bit oversaturated? mind sharing your picture settings?

Try to set your PS3 or HDMI source to "Limited RGB" and switch deep color to OFF.

Offline scorpionzero

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #410 on: Apr 05, 2011 at 03:44 PM »
@carlo, limited RGB and deep color off is my default settings on ps3, still the oversaturation of greens in "Normal" settiings and black crushing of blacks is still there, but was solved when switched to "cinema".

Offline tagabukidph

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Act on yer emotions
  • Liked:
« Reply #411 on: Apr 05, 2011 at 07:42 PM »
just learned na may 37x20 plasma pala worth 24k, pero nung hinanap ko siya sa website ng panasonic, di naman siya recognized... 42x20 ang pinakamaliit na size...

does it mean hindi na supported ng panasonic ang model na ito? pero nung tinanong ko naman, 1year manufacturer warranty ang offer...  ;D
crazy little thing called...

Offline mindsport

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: Apr 06, 2011 at 11:56 AM »
The 37x20 is probably the LCD version, not plasma.  Try checking the model number again, you'll probably see TH-L37X20 - the L indicating it's LCD. Where did you see it for 24k?

Offline tagabukidph

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Apprentice
  • Act on yer emotions
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: Apr 07, 2011 at 01:15 AM »
The 37x20 is probably the LCD version, not plasma.  Try checking the model number again, you'll probably see TH-L37X20 - the L indicating it's LCD. Where did you see it for 24k?
it is plasma, sir... i even tried googling just "37x20" and see for your self the search results... and yes, i am aware of the product code (L for LCD; P for Plasma); but just to be sure, i've checked and confirmed that the product code is TX-P37X20...

and here's an interesting link: http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1307220-panasonic-37x20-s10.html
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2011 at 01:16 AM by tagabukidph »
crazy little thing called...

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: Apr 07, 2011 at 07:39 AM »
Meron na dating 37X10 plasma which was released in 2009 pa.  So sa mga markets where the X20 was released in 2010, I wont be surprised na meron ding 37X20.

Medyo OT, meron ding 32 and 37-inch na 3D LCD models ang Panasonic for 2011.

Offline scorpionzero

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: Apr 07, 2011 at 08:16 AM »
Hello Gurus,  :)

Can somebody please share your settings. Gusto ko lang check kung meron ako dapat palitan, same settings pa din kami until now un ginawa ni Jon from s&s hehe

Thanks in advance. ;)

eto settings ko:

Cinema: (gives good depth in picture, no oversaturation):
contrast: 50-60%
brightness: +3
color: 38-45
sharpness: 30-40
color temp: WARM
everything else on default.
PN: off
ECO: off

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #416 on: Apr 07, 2011 at 10:41 AM »

I don't remember the actual settings for this panel, as I just worked on Royal's unit. I remember setting color to around 40, and contrast above 80. Let's see if he remembers the settings. Just take note that even identical models might have slightly different outputs, and achieving the same PQ does not automatically mean using the same settings.

As for color temp: There is a purplish anomaly with the Normal color temp, and a yellow issue with the Warm color temp. I found the Warm setting more palatable, overall.

Offline mindsport

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: Apr 07, 2011 at 02:14 PM »
you're right, it is plasma! my mistake, i was only basing my info on what i saw on the panasonic asia website.

where did you see this selling for 24k?

it is plasma, sir... i even tried googling just "37x20" and see for your self the search results... and yes, i am aware of the product code (L for LCD; P for Plasma); but just to be sure, i've checked and confirmed that the product code is TX-P37X20...

and here's an interesting link: http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1307220-panasonic-37x20-s10.html

Offline dmaximus

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • "People should know when they are conquered."
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #418 on: Apr 08, 2011 at 03:30 AM »
i really cant stand the X20's screen. Its too reflective talaga for me. How i wish i could still find a C10  ::)
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2011 at 03:30 AM by dmaximus »

Offline scorpionzero

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: Apr 10, 2011 at 06:35 PM »
hanggang ngayun di ko pa rin ma-accept yung inaccurate color ng tv na toh, ewan ko ba, sony kasi ko dati.
help naman sa calibration, oversaturate na ewan yung color nya eh.