Author Topic: inFocus X1  (Read 18243 times)

Offline redge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:inFocus X1
« Reply #60 on: Sep 13, 2003 at 03:03 AM »
alamat,

what is your viewing distance?  you should have tried it on vga component with/without progressive scan.  ako naman baligtad, i notice the rainbow when i first turn it on to watch a dvd.  after a few adjustments and tweaking, i got used to it and by not looking at the rainbow, my "brain" adjusted.  also change your viewing distance which will help eliminate the rainbow effect.  I also have controlled light where i can dim the light to whatever i like and change the throw distance which helps a little.  saka for the price you pay on the X1, i think it is worth it.  I compared it too with Z1 and S1 and bought the X1 but would also be happy with the Z1.   I have heard they are getting rid of the X1 now because infocus is selling this at a loss.  the foroudja must at least cost them a lot so better get it while you still can before they get rid of DCDi.  just don't get the S1.

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2003 at 03:06 AM by redge »

Offline kimera

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re:Infocus X1 and me....a review...kuno
« Reply #61 on: Sep 13, 2003 at 07:35 AM »
 I got one to "try" at Best Buy. Upon returning home, I had to setup my spkrs, DVD player, bass shakers & AVR in record time. Kakalipat lang kasi namin dito sa bahay namin (mabuti na lang may finished basement) kaya medyo dali-dali with wires all over the place. Placed on its own box with settings at default, I projected about a 90" diagonal image on a beige wall, 'la pa kasing screen eh. I used component to Svideo as I don't have the component to VGA adapter yet. So basically I was watching an interlaced picture. We then watched LOTR The Two Towers in all its glory. The image was stunning, blue eyes really blue as the sky, fleshtones suprisingly true. Suffice it to say, sulit ito mga tsong! Even si misis asked me " Isosoli mo pa ba yan? OK na yan ah?" At the price u pay, u get the cinema experience, patok talaga! I did try everything on it, 16:9 films, 4:3, cartoons, etc. All IMHO looked great.
  Now for the flaws, siyempre meron. One, u must watch the movie not in its sharpest. I make it slightly out of focus ang picture so u wouldn't notice the pixels. I assume kung smaller ang screen size, wala itong problemang ito. Two, kasi interlaced yung pinapanood ko, medyo may EE sa mga titles, high contrast items. Most have said that due to the Faroudja chip, the interlaced picture is better than most prog scans. I cannot comment on that kasi wala pa ako nung component to VGA kasi only the VGA could accept 480p and 1080i. Three and probably yung matindi, rainbows tsong! I watched The Others which is mostly night scenes and it was a nightmare for me. I could barely concentrate on the movie. Hindi tuloy ako natakot! After that assault, I tried other DVDs and sadly, I'm one of those suceptible to them darn things. Not everyone is so suwerte mo kung hindi ka affected. Its an inherent flaw of DLP, kahit yung Samsing na DLP RPTV, meron daw.
  Having experienced the above, I returned the X1 and am now looking at "borrowing" the Sanyo PLV-Z1. LCD naman ito kaya another set of supposed problems.
  My advice for u guys, try and demo it at home. U will not notice the rainbows initially as I didn't see any during the first few DVDs. Its the only way to tell for sure. Pero kung wala akong nakitang rainbows, nasa ibaba siguro ako ngayon nanonood pa rin! Kaya for me highly recommended ito mga pare at mare!

i used to be in an almost similar situation, the only difference is that i bought the X1 (instead of "borrowed"), i got the X1 first before i got sick and tired of rainbows and then got the Z1, with the Z1 i had no real problems, screendoor is never an issue since i luckily have a pretty good viewing distance....im not at all affected by rainbows on the X1, but since i see it, i get bothered sometimes, and i wouldnt be happy if my friends who are watching over get headaches or be disappointed in case they see the rainbows

with the Z1, you wont go wrong mate, enjoy it

Offline don

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Sep 16, 2003 at 02:16 PM »
my Infocus X1 will arrive next week. I hope I can handle the rainbows.... ::)

I bought an ND Filter too just in case... Bahala na! arghhhh...

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #63 on: Jan 27, 2004 at 12:35 AM »
hi all,

my X1 went dead on me recently and the LED lights up differently.

the first would be the LED glowing a solid green but projecting a white light with image whatsover. I get no response when pressing any of the buttons on top of the projector.

the second would be the LED blinking red three times in two second intervals. the lamp doesn't ignite at all projecting no image at all.

this alternates everytime i switch on or off my project.

i've tried removing and reinstalling the Lamp and Lamp door with no effect.

i've also tried using 3 computers and a DVD player by way of computer in and video in respectively with no effect.

any help or insight would be helpful in the matter.

thanks! :)

oh yeah with a simple firmware upgrade you can extend your X1's lamp life from an outstanding 3,000hrs to an unheard off 4,000. :) ya read right... four thousand... :p

Offline bravoexo

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Jan 27, 2004 at 12:50 AM »
What does the manual say?

Did you actually upgraded the firmware? Did this problem happen right after, if you did?  
Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jan 27, 2004 at 12:58 AM »
The Manual said do the above mentioned things.

Next thing i'd need to do is buy a new lamp  :o :o

if that doesnt work

send it to ATI

:o :o

i saw the 4,000 hr lamp life while i was searching for an answer to my lamp problem. i left the projector in our hall after a party was hosted there. when i got it back for work and tried to use it with a laptop + powerpoint it developed a problem. i suspect someone screwed with the projector or dropped it. :(

hope the international warranty holds up... :(

Offline bravoexo

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jan 27, 2004 at 01:03 AM »
The easiest way to test the bulb is to either turn it in for warranty... or ask a fellow infocus X1 PDVD member to test your bulb on their working unit.  (However if it actually lights up, as you mentioned, then it's pprobably something more "sinister" afoot.  ^_^

Sony KDL-55W904A, HK AVR330, DAV-DZ950, Xbox One, 360 and PS3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, PSW110

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jan 27, 2004 at 01:34 AM »
i'd probably buy a new lamp then turn in the X1 if it doesn't work... oh well  ::) ::)

Offline lomi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jan 27, 2004 at 07:04 AM »
OT: where can buy infocusX1 and it's accessories locally? thanks

Offline alexg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #69 on: Feb 20, 2004 at 10:55 AM »
Lomi: Got my X1 from ATI last December. Their phone is 723-0601 to 10, url is: www.ati.com.ph.
I went fishing the other day, and I caught a BIG ONE!

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Feb 24, 2004 at 08:19 AM »
Just a clarification, upgrading firmware does not extend the projector bulb's life per se. The new firmware just set the warning for bulb replacement to 4000 hours. This came about when infocus tested the X1 and found that the bulb can last that long.

If you use the old firmware, when the projector warns you to replace the bulb just reset the time counter by telling the X1 that you have installed a new bulb.

Anyway, I have my X1 now for almost three months and I cannot complain about the PQ. Am using component input from a Pioneer 655A. Did not notice any picture quality difference between S-video and component input, playing same DVD. I have not calibrated the system, am still waiting for my calibration dvd, and using default setting on a totally light controlled HT room, PQ approaches the quality of my Wega.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2004 at 08:20 AM by alexg »

Offline alfa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Feb 25, 2004 at 06:49 PM »
I'm thinking of getting an HP 2000Lumens DLP. Its double the price of an X!. Do you gus think is double the perfromance?

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Feb 27, 2004 at 09:18 AM »
alfa,

I don't think it will be double the quality.

You might want to check who makes the projector for HP, afaik HP does not make projectors they re-badge other company's projector.

Why not consider a higher end Infocus if you are willing to pay double the price of the X1.

Why are you not considering the X1? IMO it is the best value for your money not unless you are sensitive to rainbows (very few people are), then you have to go with LCD projectors.

Just my two cents! Good luck with your shopping.
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2004 at 09:19 AM by alexg »

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Mar 01, 2004 at 12:13 PM »
btw it "only support" progressive scan using the VGA connection, so if you're prog scan dvd player outputs in components (most do), you need to get the component-to-VGA breakout cable which happens to be out of stock at infocus and quite difficult to find..you maybe better off making it yourself

and the VGA doesnt accept 480i, it accepts 480p, 525p, 720p and 1080i BUT NOT 480i

likewise, the 6-pin mini DIN accept 480i ONLY, no 480p even if u connect a progessive DVD player using the component to s-video breakout cable

but i must say, its a very good pj, and the faroudja deinterlacer is very very good   :)

cheers

AAAAHHH!!! My Dad will kill me if he finds out - he isn't watching a prog scan display  :o :o

any sightings of the component to VGA adaptor locally? or a long VGA cable...

thanks!
money is best spent

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Mar 01, 2004 at 12:40 PM »
iceman90a,

if you are handy with a soldering iron you can easily make the vga to component cable.

I got a cable from a non working monitor and soldered 3 rca connectors, the wiring diagram I found on the net. Works fine, but I also placed an order for an Infocus vga to component breakdown cable.

If you don't have access to a vga cable, you can buy a vga cable extension, cut it and solder the RCA connectors.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Mar 01, 2004 at 03:44 PM »
iceman90a,

if you are handy with a soldering iron you can easily make the vga to component cable.

I got a cable from a non working monitor and soldered 3 rca connectors, the wiring diagram I found on the net. Works fine, but I also placed an order for an Infocus vga to component breakdown cable.

If you don't have access to a vga cable, you can buy a vga cable extension, cut it and solder the RCA connectors.

hey thanks,

can you point me to the link?   :)
money is best spent

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Mar 02, 2004 at 07:37 AM »
iceman,

here is the link: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

though the author is using cat 5, pin out diagram is same as using a vga cable.

hope this helps!

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Mar 29, 2004 at 10:15 AM »
iceman,

here is the link: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

though the author is using cat 5, pin out diagram is same as using a vga cable.

hope this helps!

thanks! i had a friend make one for me as i dont trust my own work  :) just to confirm before i plug it in - it only uses a total of 6 wires? 3 serving as ground...

di masisira in-focus ko assuming it was made correctly ha?
money is best spent

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
Re: inFocus X1
« Reply #78 on: Apr 12, 2004 at 09:24 AM »
I'm also considering X1, until I saw Benq PB6100. Which one is better?
There's something to learn everyday

Offline esquire_90

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2004 at 04:06 PM »
I just thought X1 owners and those planning to buy projectors may be interested in the projector poll of AVS Forum.

Here is the link http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=bde0e0597d7775f972c5edd55fa6eacd&threadid=393801

I am new to the forum and glad to be part of it. All the best to the members and the people behind this great site.

Offline wolf666

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 02:23 PM »
I have this wonderful projector. Am initially thinking of getting the H30, SP4805 or TX100 but finally decided to get this instead. I am happy to say that I do not see rainbow at all. My wife and all of my friends who has spent hours watching w/ us also do not see any rainbow.

Owners may want to see this.
http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/

Offline don

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Oct 26, 2004 at 05:07 PM »
For price/performance, you can't go wrong with the Infocus X1.

These are the things that I was worried about before I  decided to get my x1:

Rainbows - In my case (minimal). It doesn't bother me at all, I only see it when I look for them (by shaking your head). I'm not sure if it's techinically correct to say that movies with high video quality can minimize the rainbow effect dramatically that you won't even notice it on normal viewing.

Outdoor - Can work well, around 6:30 pm. You can turn up the brightness to get a good image. Just make sure that no light hits your screen.

Indoor Party/meeting with lights turned on - As long as there's no light directed to your screen, everything will be alright.

Fan Noise - None for me.

Contrast - For an entry-level projector, I don't think you can get the same pitch black effect in the movie theaters when the movie fades to black.. It projects a dark grey image.

-------

I'm really satisfied with it, it's been with me for more than a year now. I love it.

Offline d00dZ

• Collector
  • Wazzzzzap?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2005 at 07:08 PM »
Just checked out projectorcentral.com. $749 na lang pala ang Infocus X1a sa states! That's about P41,250 @ P55:$1. Sana ganito na rin presyo dito, para abot kaya ko na  :-[

Is ATI listening?  ;D ;D ;D
BenQPB6100
YamRXV650 7.1
PhiDVP692K
WhaD9(.4/.CS/.SR)
WhaPcub

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2005 at 08:35 PM »
ATI's making money. BTW the X1a doesnt have the Fajuda(?) chip that made the X1 so special. Maybe you can find the X1 below $749.

Offline alexg

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2005 at 07:40 AM »
The Infocus X2 is out too! Almost same as the X1a. Still does not  have the faroudja processing chip. For home theater, the X1 is still better, not unless you have a progressive output from your DVD player.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2005 at 08:24 AM »
The Infocus X2 is out too! Almost same as the X1a. Still does not  have the faroudja processing chip. For home theater, the X1 is still better, not unless you have a progressive output from your DVD player.

There's an X3 released out in the US and supposedly out locally by July timeframe...

Offline d00dZ

• Collector
  • Wazzzzzap?!
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2005 at 09:24 AM »
I just hope all these developments help drive down the price of the X series, as I understand that these are arguably the best entry-level projectors in the market today, para maka-entry na ako!  ;D
BenQPB6100
YamRXV650 7.1
PhiDVP692K
WhaD9(.4/.CS/.SR)
WhaPcub

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2005 at 04:21 PM »
DLP projectors always beat out LCD ones. People get LCD projectors cause they dont know better or find DLPs too expensive.

Offline auspinoy

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Jun 14, 2005 at 03:57 PM »
infocus 4805 is better than x1

Offline DViant

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HDMI ver 2.1
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jun 15, 2005 at 11:58 AM »
Yes but how much more expensive is it? :)