Author Topic: Share your HTPC Setup  (Read 342347 times)

Offline jpadua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Share your HTPC Setup
« Reply #900 on: Apr 12, 2006 at 02:14 PM »
Tama ka mang eddie, mas medyo mahal athlon at slower speeds pa compared to intel, consider ko lang din sabi ni sir jpadua na may heat issues yung intel :)
Sir jpadua i think you know my brother-in-law,si glenn na bassist ;D

Ricky yah kilala ko si Glenn, kamusta na yun?

Offline beefjerky

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #901 on: Apr 12, 2006 at 03:22 PM »
hi jpadua. do you have an x-plosion soundcard or know where do get one? thanks!  :)
"What?"

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #902 on: Apr 12, 2006 at 07:34 PM »
hi jpadua. do you have an x-plosion soundcard or know where do get one? thanks!  :)

x-plosion wala x-mystique lang eh... locally wala ka mabibili na x-plosion.  The only difference is DTS connect versus DDlive.  Sound quality wise I think its relative kasi both DTS connect and DDlive are realtime stream encoders, they both do the same thing convert 5.1 PC audio into a digital format. The audio data still comes from the PC.  DTS and DD DVDs are still decoded the same way wether using the x-plosion or the x-mystique since the audio data is already encoded on the dvd and just passed through to your receiver.

Hope my explanation clarifies things a little :)

Jay

Offline bote

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #903 on: Apr 12, 2006 at 08:22 PM »
Thats true... but the way the athlon is marketed is different.  Athlon64 are actually much faster than their intel counterparts.... for example a P4 3.2GHz is an equivalent of a Athlon64 3200+  in performance but the actual running speed of an athlon64 3200 is only 2.2GHz.  Intel needs more speed to run at the same performance level.  Thats also essentially why intel CPUs run hotter than Athlon64s.   Athlon64s also have cool and quiet, which actually lowers your temp when the PC is not in full load.. sometimes, the CPU gets so cool, the fan will automatically stop since its not needed and turn on again when cpu loads up again. 

Intels are good no doubt... but for HTPC / Media PCs I really prefer Athlon64s... for Workstations and Graphics editing, Video production intels are preferred because of raw power.  So if you are building an HTPC  A64s really fit the bill.
I think I will need it for graphics and ht in a 50/50 basis. Makes it a little harder to decide huh?
Classe cav 75/pio vSX 1120
Optoma uhd50x/Samsung h9500/yaqin mc10l/NAD bee515/Polk rti a7/reg rp3

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #904 on: Apr 12, 2006 at 11:52 PM »
I think I will need it for graphics and ht in a 50/50 basis. Makes it a little harder to decide huh?

aahhhh I see... hmmm A64 :D  no really you should have no problem with an A64.  You want power go for an A64 X2 3800+ Performs better than Pentium Dual core in reviews... search reviews nalang... A64s got my vote

Offline bote

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #905 on: Apr 13, 2006 at 09:47 AM »
aahhhh I see... hmmm A64 :D  no really you should have no problem with an A64.  You want power go for an A64 X2 3800+ Performs better than Pentium Dual core in reviews... search reviews nalang... A64s got my vote
I think that's way beyond my means, JP. I saw the price of 3200 at P9000. I don't know about the 3800. Could be well over 10k. Not in my league anymore. Thanks .

Offline Kato

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #906 on: Apr 22, 2006 at 05:22 PM »
G. CPU Cooler

Scythe Ninja is the best one coupled with a 120mm fan - most efficient and very very silent... 120mm fan on low is better than a Zalaman9600 on high.  I can get one also... have to check the price though and availability.
Thermaltake tornado 120 best budget HSF, just change the fan to a 120 panaflo

Hey Jay, I've already completed my HTPC. I just need to replace my Intel P4 3 GHz LGA775's default CPU cooler/fan with a quieter one. Where can I get the Scythe Ninja with 120mm fan and around how much is it?

Also, just curious, what's a good heat pipe cooler for video cards? Mine's an AGP MSI 256MB GeForce 6600 (NX6600).

Thanks! 8)

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #907 on: Apr 22, 2006 at 07:03 PM »
Finally took some pics of my build....

All my hardware ready to be assembled (except for the DVDrw)

Since the P4 connector couldnt reach the socket on my DFI rs482 I had to manually extend the cable.  Goodthing I have some soldering skills!

All the hardware in place ready to start testing

By the way if you are using a sata drive you have to use an L-Type connector or else it wont fit.  Good thing I had one of these lying around.

Stress Testing.

Building it was quite fun although there were some things that were a bit tricky.  Getting the motherboard in place was one.  The I/O sheild I had to bend so that the board can get into place.  Also I had to bend the tail end of my TV card bracket to make it fit.  Had to use an L-Type sata cable.  The rest fairly easy.

Been running Prime95 for about 3 hours now. While downloading updates and playing a DVD. 

So far im maxing 55 deg.  on load.  Idle temps were jumping between 43-45. This is acceptable for me knowing our limitations on HSF size and Silence. I did notice that even on full load the fan doesnt still kick into full speed. 

Idle - Fan RPM 750
Load - Fan RPM 1500
When I cover the exhaust with my palm - Fan RPM 2300

I must say, the HSF is extremely quiet, my external DVD drive and Hard Disk was way louder.  At full load you can hear a faint whooshing sound.  PSU fan I never even noticed. I'll be fine at 1500rpm on idle if I can get it to work that way. I'm still trying to figure out how to set the fan to full speed on load (2300 rpm). If I can get the fan speed to these vaues, 1500RPM Idle and 2200RPM on Load, I think I may be able to get better results.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2006 at 07:52 PM by jpadua »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #908 on: Apr 22, 2006 at 07:28 PM »
Hey Jay, I've already completed my HTPC. I just need to replace my Intel P4 3 GHz LGA775's default CPU cooler/fan with a quieter one. Where can I get the Scythe Ninja with 120mm fan and around how much is it?

Also, just curious, what's a good heat pipe cooler for video cards? Mine's an AGP MSI 256MB GeForce 6600 (NX6600).

Thanks! 8)

Look for waycool on tipid pc for a scythe ninja, way cool has also a lot of other great coolers from akasa.  You might want to take a look at the EVO 120 also by Akasa and a CNPS9500 by Zalman.  For a more budget option the Thermaltake Tornado with 120mm fan is a very good cooler, just replace the 120mm with a quiet fan, maybe a panaflo 120.  Silverstone 120mm would be the best for that kaso wala na akong stock hehehe.  For a video card, the new Zalman VF900 is what I'll go for. It's a heatpipe with fins all around the pipe.  Look for servo or tox on TipicPC for Zalman stuff . Dont know the prices now for the Scythe but the Zalman VF900 is I think P2,300
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2006 at 07:29 PM by jpadua »

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #909 on: Apr 23, 2006 at 03:37 AM »
Jay, your HTPC's lookin' great... one more piece and you're good to go :)

Any feedback on Thermaltake's Big Typhoon? http://www.thermaltake.com/product/cooler/retail/cl-p0114/cl-p0114.asp

or Blue Orb II? http://www.thermaltake.com/product/cooler/retail/cl-p0257/cl-p0257.asp

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #910 on: Apr 24, 2006 at 12:26 PM »
Master jay,

How do you stress test your PCs? What applications do you use?

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #911 on: Apr 24, 2006 at 06:34 PM »
Master jay,

How do you stress test your PCs? What applications do you use?

I just use Prime95 Torture test  If you get to run the test for about 8hrs without errors then its good.  Best if you test if straight for 24hrs para sigurado.  Also while doing so, I monitor the temperature, fan speeds etc. using Speedfan.

Prime 95 stresses both CPU and Ram crunching numbers.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #912 on: May 06, 2006 at 01:58 AM »
Hi Tim,

hows your TVXB and Bladerunner working?  I think Ive gotten mine to work.  So far the schedules are accurate.  There are some errors in the schedule sometimes but when I cross check with clickthecity.com it carries the same schedule errors so I'm guessing TVXB and Bladerunner are working ok.

Jay

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #913 on: May 07, 2006 at 12:25 PM »
Hi which is better graphic card for low end HTPC. Nvidia 6200 or ATI Radeon 9550?
Thanks

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #914 on: May 07, 2006 at 12:57 PM »
Hi which is better graphic card for low end HTPC. Nvidia 6200 or ATI Radeon 9550?
Thanks

I suggest going for the latest video card offerings.  Either a nVidia 7300 GS (P4000) or an Ati x1300 Pro (P6,400) They both have native support to drive HDTV displays offering 720p or 1080i via component.  The 7300 is already a series 7 geforce card that supports the latest purevideo technologies like h.264 acceleration.  The X1300 pro already the x1000 series which supports ATI AVIVO and the AVIVO encoder (AVIVO is ATI's answer to nVidia's Purevideo). 

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #915 on: May 08, 2006 at 10:48 AM »
I suggest going for the latest video card offerings.  Either a nVidia 7300 GS (P4000) or an Ati x1300 Pro (P6,400) They both have native support to drive HDTV displays offering 720p or 1080i via component.  The 7300 is already a series 7 geforce card that supports the latest purevideo technologies like h.264 acceleration.  The X1300 pro already the x1000 series which supports ATI AVIVO and the AVIVO encoder (AVIVO is ATI's answer to nVidia's Purevideo). 

I wish I have the luxury. The thing is these cards comes only in PCI-E. I only have AGP, heheheh. Right know, I can afford a low-end video card only, hahahah
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006 at 10:49 AM by Philander »

Offline Kato

• Collector
  • Carpe Diem!
  • Liked:
« Reply #916 on: May 09, 2006 at 12:32 AM »
Actually those cards have AGP versions too :-) If you're on a budget, passive-cooled (no fans, just heat sinks) video cards will work well for HTPC use like the GeForce MX 4000 (priced under PHP 2,500). In fact, there's an emerging trend of high end video cards that use heat pipes/heat sinks and no fans, ideal for HTPC applications. Gigabyte, EVGA, ASUS, etc. already came out with similarly featured models.

Offline timMCE

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #917 on: May 12, 2006 at 03:05 AM »
hi jay, same here tvxb/bladerunner working but schedule is a little off.  about that quicktime thing same here also wont work with MCE front end but works with WMP classic and 10 havent really had the time to work on it. but here are a few sites that I think can help
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-50736.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t51043.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=34838&hl=

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=56803

http://www.degeelebosch.nl/corone/

I'll continue to look up more info on  this
let me know how it turns out man ..... and back up your reg

what do you think about WMV HD content? have you tried the DVD?

Offline timMCE

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #918 on: May 12, 2006 at 03:55 AM »
did I hear (see pala 8)) the magic words "budget" and "low end"?  guess what guys,  I got a celeron box (2.13GHz) with a FX5200(128MB AGP) with 1GB DDR266 (2 x 512MB in dual channel mode), a SATA 80GB and an old 40, 20 and 30GB hdd's Windows Media center 2005 and a microsoft remote control, using a pc case thats 5 years old with an upgraded 500watt power supply  connected to a CRT TV via lowly S-video cable( hey it could've been worse...may RCA pa ha).  The d@mn thing works fine, channel surfing is quick and recording is great, divx playback is smooth and surprisingly clear.  its an ultra low end HTPC. its just a divx box anyway, i dont really record tv shows. kawawang hapas lupa with his super tipid setup

I say use what you have,  get the the feel of it, then go out and improve on it.

the trick is finding the balance between your wallet and performance.

experience will tell you kung saan ka pwede mag tipid at kung saan hindi

....and also having a friend who owns a pc hardware store helps a lot  ;D

words of wisdom : never skimp on bandwidth

Offline bote

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #919 on: May 17, 2006 at 11:58 PM »

Hello JP. I was at SM Cyberzone this afternoon and I saw that x1300 and x700. Guess what? The x1300 was P3900 and the x700 was priced at P6400! I asked them to check but they said it was correct. You may want to check them at PC Quarters.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #920 on: May 18, 2006 at 10:17 AM »
Hello JP. I was at SM Cyberzone this afternoon and I saw that x1300 and x700. Guess what? The x1300 was P3900 and the x700 was priced at P6400! I asked them to check but they said it was correct. You may want to check them at PC Quarters.

Low end ng X1300 (128MB) series as low as Php 3,800.00 sa pcx. While yung X700EZ (256MB) is Php 4600.

By the way, which is better? X1300 or X700?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #921 on: May 18, 2006 at 10:48 AM »
I am informed that if you're a game hog, and with those video intensive games like Doom 3, the more exotic the video card the better(read: more expensive).   Those with 128bit 256mb ram video cards with their own cooling fans are said to be better at it.   Otherwise, even for DVD watching,  the mobo's built-in video can do the job. 

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #922 on: May 18, 2006 at 11:18 AM »
I am informed that if you're a game hog, and with those video intensive games like Doom 3, the more exotic the video card the better(read: more expensive).   Those with 128bit 256mb ram video cards with their own cooling fans are said to be better at it.   Otherwise, even for DVD watching,  the mobo's built-in video can do the job. 

I agree with this av_phile1, however there are certain excemptions.

Generally kasi ang bagong release na video card mas mura compared dun sa old, and the newer release (in terms of chipset quality) much better.

Say for example Nvidia 7300 series and 6200series. Latest ang chipset and better specs ang 7300 series pero almost the same (and yung sa ibang series mas mura pa ang 7300) ang price range nila.

Based of comparison sa net, almost the same ang specs ng x700 and x1300. But mas mura ang X1300 compared sa X700, so its practical to buy the X1300.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #923 on: May 18, 2006 at 12:30 PM »
I guess you're right, Philander.  The newer models can be cheaper but more powerful, thanks to advancement in technologies. 

There was a time early this year that I was thinking of getting a new PC.   The video cards I saw from ATI and GEForce have models that generally get more expensive the more powerful  they are in terms of specs.   Not to mention the choice of either using an 8x AGP or 16x PCI Express, depending on on the mobo used.  And there are mobos that can do both.  There's a good chance a cheaper PCI express video card  may perform better than a more expensive AGP card.   Having no means to determine which is better in actual tests, most of the time, the consumer is plainly guided by the specs he reads and the price.  And it is so easy for the layman to assume the more expensive, the more powerful, which is often the case with computers parts in a given generation.  But as always,newer generation parts can beat their predescessors and still cost the same or even lower.  It does pay to do some research before buying.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 at 12:32 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #924 on: May 18, 2006 at 03:10 PM »
Low end ng X1300 (128MB) series as low as Php 3,800.00 sa pcx. While yung X700EZ (256MB) is Php 4600.

By the way, which is better? X1300 or X700?

The X1300 Pro is more expensive than the regular X1300.  The pro comes with native HDTV output while the X1300 (non-pro) does not.  Also the pro has more memory (256) as the non-pro which only has 128mb.

If you are planning to connect to your HDTV directly via VGA or DVI or even DVI -> HDMI cable then you dont really need the HDTV encoder. If you plan to do a little gaming then the 256mb version will help a lot especially now lots of games use a lot of texture memory.

The X1300 would probably be sufficient for DVD and watching HD clips expecially since its already capable of AVIVO.  I say forget about the X700 na... go with either an X1300 or X1300 Pro :)  if you really plan to game also I suggest a x1600

I recently purchased an Nvidia Geforce 7300 made by Palit for another HTPC im building.  Got it for only 3,700 it comes native with HDTV encoder, supports Purevideo hardware acceleration for WMV-HD and H.264! (h.264 is the new current standard for HD video which will be used for Blueray and HD-DVD. Performance is a bit less or at par with the 6600. Comes already with 256MB ram.  In my opinion this might be the best cost-performace card. 

Specs at a glance

Geforce 7 product line (supports more hardware accelerated features of Purevideo for HD material)
Built in HDTV encoder (Ive tried this myself its pretty good can do 720p or 1080i with out a problem through component output)
Comes with 256MB Ram
The stock cooler is not as noisy as I was expecting.
Good for moderate gaming.
Price 3,700!

I suggest giving a look at the Nvidia7300 by palit.  Its a really good budget card.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #925 on: May 18, 2006 at 03:37 PM »
Thanks Master jpadua,

If I can only find 7300 in AGP...

By the way, a little bit OT, I think my TV can only do 1080i and 480p. Is there a way (even by hardware modification) that it will support 720p?

Thanks.

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #926 on: May 18, 2006 at 07:27 PM »
Thanks Master jpadua,

If I can only find 7300 in AGP...

By the way, a little bit OT, I think my TV can only do 1080i and 480p. Is there a way (even by hardware modification) that it will support 720p?

Thanks.

unfortunately your TV can handle a straight 720p connection.  You can play files on your PC that are in 720P, but your actual resolution should be either in 480p or 1080i and the video will be scaled to that resolution.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #927 on: May 18, 2006 at 07:49 PM »
unfortunately your TV can handle a straight 720p connection.  You can play files on your PC that are in 720P, but your actual resolution should be either in 480p or 1080i and the video will be scaled to that resolution.

Thanks.

Question again.

What if my HDTV, has only HD-component input and since Graphics cards has DVI or VGA output, how can I then connect my PC to my TV? I have Nvidia 6200 vc.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006 at 07:55 PM by Philander »

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #928 on: May 18, 2006 at 07:55 PM »
Thanks.

Question again.

What if my HDTV, has only HD-component input and since Graphics cards has DVI or VGA output, how can I then connect my PC to my TV?

You need a card that has native HDTV output via component.  The x1300pro and the Palit 7300 has this.  Problema mo lang talaga is that its PCIE. During the time of AGP kasi di pa uso masyado ang HDTV. 

are you not considering upgrading to PCI-e?

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #929 on: May 18, 2006 at 08:09 PM »
You need a card that has native HDTV output via component.  The x1300pro and the Palit 7300 has this.  Problema mo lang talaga is that its PCIE. During the time of AGP kasi di pa uso masyado ang HDTV. 

are you not considering upgrading to PCI-e?

So the x1300pro and the Palit 7300 may build in-component out connection sila?

I can't upgrade yet to PCI-E, kasi, mauupgrade lahat, I only have socket A processor...  HD and optical drives lang ang matitira, I'm using XPC so pati casing, etc...

By the way, my HDTV has VGA input, it can output native 480p and 1080i resolutions without any problems.
I'm just asking kasi, based sa mga forums, my TV supports (Philips 34PT8420) 720p, but I can't seem to enable it.

So baka through component lang sya magwowork.

I'm using my TV as my main monitor, pag 480p (640 x 480) ang lalaki ng icons at di mo mairun yung ibang applications. While 1080i, since interlaced, ang sakit sa mata lalo na sa text, its only good for video (overlay) viewing and some games....