Author Topic: Upgrade 1, 2, 3 ... <lost count already>  (Read 24083 times)

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: Upgrade 1 .. 2
« Reply #30 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM »
Oo nga... :)

Sir lncc63 sorry po sa OT ha...  :)
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 03:41 PM »
No problem bro. What's graceland?

Not really sure if it would be considered an upgrade but I decided to add a Bluray player because Sharepoint is very near our place.  If I can consider this an upgrade then that would be No. 3.

RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #32 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 05:09 PM »
Brader,

Congrats on your speaker upgrades... Grabe sir ang SARS mo sobrang bilis....Balitaan mo ako sir pag nakakuha ka na nang A7... Makapasyal sa inyo at makapakinig  :)
Walang Setup

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 806
« Reply #33 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 05:15 PM »

Not really sure if it would be considered an upgrade but I decided to add a Bluray player because Sharepoint is very near our place.  If I can consider this an upgrade then that would be No. 3.

Graceland is the home of SVS Subwoofers (and speakers)!  ;D
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Apr 15, 2011 at 07:46 PM »
Graceland is the home of SVS Subwoofers (and speakers)!  ;D

Sorry for the OT brader..

Sir Conan,

Saw you have an infinity 212 SUb... Hows the performance nang infinity? This is one of my option kasi eh.. Thanks... Paki PM na lang sir..
Walang Setup

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #35 on: Apr 16, 2011 at 06:57 AM »

yup surely a bluray player is indeed an upgrade  ;) congrats! if you go to Graceland then probably you will immediately have a 4th upgrade  ;) most of those who visited this place ended up bringing home something new  ;D mabait at madali lang kausap yung nakatira dun si Sir Mike  :)

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Apr 16, 2011 at 09:07 AM »
Actually, I just realized that I'm already at upgrade 3.  Upgrade 1 was with the Denon 3802.  Upgrade 2 happened a few days later when Sir Courage hooked me up with Sir Nogie and I got the Pioneer.  But never mind, lets still call the Bluray upgrade 3.

Ok I'm at UPGRADE 3 then.  Got the Sony BDP-S370 Bluray Player last night from sir mdelro and gave it a test run on our one and only Bluray disk - Transformers ... no problems ... well as far the unit is concerned.  I do have a problem of where in my makeshift setup I'm going to put it.  the lower shelves are too narrow and I don't want to put it on top of the receiver of course, also it is not deep enough to put the under the receiver.  This will change when I get around to building a decent stand.  I've also run out of A/V inputs on the Pioneer but I've pretty much made up my mind to connect the HTPC directly to the TV so it can also be used while listening to music.

Failed to mention that I'm also happy about having gotten the BD player because now I can also play our collection of DVDs from the U.S. and Japan.  Our Panasonic HTIB could not because it is region locked to Asia.  Now I can free up some space on the XTreamers.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 at 09:25 AM by lncc63 »
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Upgrade 1 .. 2, 3
« Reply #37 on: Apr 16, 2011 at 02:06 PM »
Couldn't find where I should post this so I'll just share it here.

Without changing any of the wiring on my 7.1 setup, I put the AVR into Bi-amp mode.  I've Wharf 10DFS for the surround back speakers.  Played some classical music at medium volume and things seemed ok.  I tried because I'm wondering if I can drive my extra pair of Wharf 8.3 with the surround back channels.  Any thoughts?

I read somewhere that an AVR does not implement any internal crossover network when running in bi-amp mode, meaning the exact same signal is delivered to the surround back output terminals.  

With a speaker switch the one in avshop, it would then be possible to switch from the normal 7.1 setup to the 5.1 setup but with four front speakers each with a dedicated channel.

Not really sure it would sound good especially with different kinds of speakers up front.  Its just a shame to be using a perfectly good set of 8.3s as stands for the PA A3s.

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2011 at 07:07 AM by lncc63 »
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Upgrade 1 .. 2, 3, 4
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011 at 08:48 PM »
Downgrade-upgrade!

Downgrade because I removed the surround back speakers so I'm back to 5.1.   I plan to bi-amp the front but haven't gotten around to it.  Actually, I sold the Wharfedale 8.1 surround speakers and am now using the 9DFS speakers as the surround which were previously the surround back speakers.

Upgrade because I replaced my Whafedale 9cm center with a Polk Audio RTi A6 :) (UPGRADE 4).  I've also switch the AVR from 6 ohms to 8 ohms since now all my main speakers are 8 ohms.  

I think I have a firm buyer for the HTIB so most likely I'll be upgrading the subwoofer next week.  Actually, my plan was only to buy another USAudio 508.  This would not improve the lower frequency reach but it surely get more power output.  This evening however I had a chance to audition several subwoofers and I think I'll just replace the USAudio with a new more powerful subwoofer.  The reputation of the SVS or Velodyne would make it a prime candidate but I'm saving my limited resources for an A9 set.   Among those I auditioned, I'm leaning towards the Klipsch SW450 because it has a the kind of sound I like and won't threaten my effort for the A9.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 at 09:24 AM by lncc63 »
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Upgrade 1 .. 2, 3, 4
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011 at 10:02 PM »
Downgrade-upgrade!

Downgrade because I removed the surround back speakers so I'm back to 5.1.   I plan to bi-amp the front but haven't gotten around to it.  Actually, I sold the Wharfedale 8.1 surround speakers and am now using the 9DFS speakers as the surround which were previously the surround back speakers.

Upgrade because I replace my Whafedale 9cm center with a Polk Audio A6 :).  I've also switch the AVR from 6 ohms to 8 ohms since now all my main speakers are 8 ohms.  

I think I have a firm buyer for the HTIB so most likely I'll be upgrading the subwoofer next week.  Actually, my plan was only to buy another USAudio 508.  This would not improve the lower frequency reach but it surely get more power output.  This evening however I had a chance to audition several subwoofers and I think I'll just replace the USAudio with a new more powerful subwoofer.  The reputation of the SVS Velo (something) would make it a prime candidate but I'm saving my limited resources for an A9 set.   Among those I auditioned, I'm leaning towards the Klipsch SW450 because it has the sound I like and won't threaten my effort for the A9.

Congrats on your A6 brader... Ang ganda at ang laki diba??? Pics naman dyan brader...
Walang Setup

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011 at 09:08 PM »
Yup it is quite big.  Haven't had time yet to really sit down though and tune the setup.  Pictures will have to till I can make the speaker stands.  For the speakers are just on the rug.  

Well UPGRADE 5 happened this evening, bought a Polk Audio DSW660.  An SVS was a strong contender but its price and its not being a Polk knocked it out of the race.   Actually, I was partial to Klipsch Sw450.  Its sound I liked and the price was well within my budget.  My choice started to change when a bro I met at AVshop strongly recommended the Polk.  After a study of the specs and the prices, though quite a stretch over my budget, I decided to get it.  Polk DWS660: 500w RMS, 12", 20Hz-160Hz.

I was actually contemplating to upgrade my AVR in lieu of this subwoofer upgrade.  This idea came anticipating the need for a beefier AVR than the Pioneer 1019 if and when the A9 upgrade materializes.  Pursuing this idea  would be a long process necessitating I first sell my AVR and suffer some quite time so we decided against it.  

Again Brader Courage was great sounding board in the making of this upgrade.  

Next upgrade ... A9! A9! A9!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 at 09:23 AM by lncc63 »
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011 at 09:23 PM »
Yup it is quite big.  Haven't had time yet to really sit down though and tune the setup.  Pictures will have to till I can make the speaker stands.  For the speakers are just on the rug. 

Well upgrade 6 happened this evening, bought a Polk Audio DSW660.  An SVS was a strong contender but its price and its not being a Polk knocked it out of the race.   Actually, I was partial to Klipsch Sw450.  Its sound I liked and the price was well within my budget.  My choice started to change when a bro I met at AVshop strongly recommended the Polk.  After a study of the specs and the prices, though quite a stretch over my budget, I decided to get it.  Polk DWS660: 500w RMS, 12", 20Hz-160Hz.

I was actually contemplating to upgrade my AVR in lieu of this subwoofer upgrade.  This idea came anticipating the need for a beefier AVR than the Pioneer 1019 if and when the A9 upgrade materializes.  Pursuing this idea  would be a long process necessitating I first sell my AVR and suffer some quite time so we decided against it. 

WOW!!!  :o :o :o :o
That's one great sub brader!!!
Congrats on your upgrade 6...
Wishing you more upgardes to come  ;D

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2011 at 09:42 PM »
Yup it is quite big.  Haven't had time yet to really sit down though and tune the setup.  Pictures will have to till I can make the speaker stands.  For the speakers are just on the rug. 

Well upgrade 6 happened this evening, bought a Polk Audio DSW660.  An SVS was a strong contender but its price and its not being a Polk knocked it out of the race.   Actually, I was partial to Klipsch Sw450.  Its sound I liked and the price was well within my budget.  My choice started to change when a bro I met at AVshop strongly recommended the Polk.  After a study of the specs and the prices, though quite a stretch over my budget, I decided to get it.  Polk DWS660: 500w RMS, 12", 20Hz-160Hz.

I was actually contemplating to upgrade my AVR in lieu of this subwoofer upgrade.  This idea came anticipating the need for a beefier AVR than the Pioneer 1019 if and when the A9 upgrade materializes.  Pursuing this idea  would be a long process necessitating I first sell my AVR and suffer some quite time so we decided against it. 

I drool on that sub brader, everytime i go there talagang pinupuntahan ko sa sulok yang sub na yan at hinihimas ko he he he.. Ang ganda pa nyan, pwedeng down firing pwedeng front... Pwede ring wireless saan ka pa di ba.... Niceeeee
Walang Setup

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2011 at 09:53 PM »
Thanks Bro.  For me it was the still bearable best value proposition.  As Brader Courgae noted, I also like the idea that it can be down firing or front firing.   IMHO, it has the best specs among the below P30k subs.  The strong recommendation from the bass-crazy bro I met was also a big factor. 

Can't wait to rock our house on Sunday.

Is there such a thing as a receiver without the amplifiers?  The idea of having tube amps, or even monoblocks, keeps popping up but it would be an unbearable waste of money to use an AVR with preouts.  
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2011 at 10:12 PM »
Thanks Bro.  For me it was the still bearable best value proposition.  As Brader Courgae noted, I also like the idea that it can be down firing or front firing.   IMHO, it has the best specs among the below P30k subs.  The strong recommendation from the bass-crazy bro I met was also a big factor. 

Can't wait to rock our house on Sunday.

Is there such a thing as a receiver without the amplifiers?  The idea of having tube amps, or even monoblocks, keeps popping up but it would be an unbearable waste of money to use an AVR with preouts.  

Preamp na ata tawag dun brader..
Walang Setup

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2011 at 10:20 PM »
Maybe my idea of what a preamp is is too antiquated.  During my time, a preamp was for the record player and microphone.  Do modern preamps have decoders and all the input processing we see in receivers?
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2011 at 12:10 AM »
Maybe my idea of what a preamp is is too antiquated.  During my time, a preamp was for the record player and microphone.  Do modern preamps have decoders and all the input processing we see in receivers?

Im not sure but if in case wala then you will need a Surround processor for that. There are separate surround processors from different brands. So when people said they are going to "Separates" then may Power amp ka, Preamp, processor, tuner, player. AVR kasi parang all in one without the player or source. Ang all in one are those HTIB's. Yung iba naman na talagang matitindi na eh may kanya kanyang power amp per speakers or para mas mura yung multi channel power amp.
Walang Setup

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2011 at 03:58 PM »
Maybe my idea of what a preamp is is too antiquated.  During my time, a preamp was for the record player and microphone.  Do modern preamps have decoders and all the input processing we see in receivers?

There are pre amp processors but are usually quite pricey. :) thanks for the purchases. :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011 at 03:59 PM by avshop »

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2011 at 07:08 PM »
Actually its I who should be thankful. I look forward to the next opportunity, honestly.

I guess then a receiver with pre-outs is a better option then.  One could run the fronts with external amps for music and use the other channels for the other channels when in HT mode.

RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2011 at 04:18 AM »
Another alternative is to use a speaker switch for the fronts and have a separate set of electronics for music:  CDP + [Integrated Amp | Preamp + Power Amp]. 

I'm 50/50 between music and movies which is why I want a set of A9s which will be the next upgrade. 

RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2011 at 05:11 AM »
Another alternative is to use a speaker switch for the fronts and have a separate set of electronics for music:  CDP + [Integrated Amp | Preamp + Power Amp].  

I'm 50/50 between music and movies which is why I want a set of A9s which will be the next upgrade.  

Great choice, sir. The A9s will deliver the full audible spectrum if you have their rear powerports close to the back wall. :) You can safely set them to Large in this config, as long as you have sufficient headroom.

I'm a bit biased towards the dedicated audio system for music purposes (either using a speaker switch or dedicated speakers), but there are also great sounding HT systems that do well with music (mostly higher-end AVRs and separates). :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011 at 05:15 AM by Stagea »

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2011 at 07:49 AM »
Glad you agree bro.  Yes, the A9s be against the wall but what does "sufficient headroom" mean?
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2011 at 09:48 AM »
UPGRADE 7

Its a Yamaha RX-V3800!  Yahoo!  Already paid for it but it won't be here till next month.

Why upgrade 7 and not 6?   Upgrade 6 was a Samsung SH-B123L Bluray Combo Drive.  It took some doing but I found one, the last one according to the store, at the PC Express branch along Shaw Blvd.  Works like a charm in our HTPC.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011 at 11:58 AM »
wow nice receiver! congrats!

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011 at 07:50 PM »
wow nice receiver! congrats!

Thanks Bro.  I think it is the best compromise for me.  The V1900 caught my eye at first but I'd rather spend money on things that I can use ... our TV isn't 3D capable anyway and I'm too impaired for 3D :D

Letting go of the Pioneer VSX-1019 is going to be difficult.  The only reason I upgraded is that I don't want to "short change" the A9s I'll soon get.  "Its all about matching the speakers and the AVR" as many bros have said. 

The next big problem is tuning our sala so it allows the "yammy" and Polks to SING ... and not cause our neighbors to impeach my wife who was just reelected to her 3rd term as subdivision president :D.  Suggestions would be MOST welcome.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011 at 02:04 AM »
UPGRADE 7

Its a Yamaha RX-V3800!  Yahoo!  Already paid for it but it won't be here till next month.

Why upgrade 7 and not 6?   Upgrade 6 was a Samsung SH-B123L Bluray Combo Drive.  It took some doing but I found one, the last one according to the store, at the PC Express branch along Shaw Blvd.  Works like a charm in our HTPC.

Awesome receiver.. Pag dumating yan bro dadayuhin kita sa bahay..
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011 at 07:25 PM by Courage »
Walang Setup

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011 at 08:01 AM »
Thanks Bro.  I think it is the best compromise for me.  The V1900 caught my eye at first but I'd rather spend money on things that I can use ... our TV isn't 3D capable anyway and I'm too impaired for 3D :D.  

Letting go of the Pioneer VSX-1019 is going to be difficult.  The only reason I upgraded is that I don't want to "short change" the A9s I'll soon get.  "Its all about matching the speakers and the AVR" as many bros have said.  

The next big problem is tuning our sala so it allows the "yammy" and Polks to SING ... and not cause our neighbors to impeach my wife who was just reelected to her 3rd term as subdivision president :D.  Suggestions would be MOST welcome.

in my experience a good sound coming from a good set-up do not irritate neighbors, what is irritating is a loud sound coming from a set-up that sounds like a transistor radio  :)  

it will also help if you put a thicker curtain, matutuwa pa si wifey kapag ginawa mo ito  ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011 at 08:03 AM by vtec3 »

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
Re: Upgrade 1, 2, 3 ... 7
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM »
Nice AVR, sir. Congrats! :)

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2011 at 01:42 PM »
Great choice, sir. The A9s will deliver the full audible spectrum if you have their rear powerports close to the back wall. :) You can safely set them to Large in this config, as long as you have sufficient headroom.

I'm a bit biased towards the dedicated audio system for music purposes (either using a speaker switch or dedicated speakers), but there are also great sounding HT systems that do well with music (mostly higher-end AVRs and separates). :)

Bro, would say the V3800 fits the bill?  Among the mainstream AVRs, my impression is that the V3800 will do well with music.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011 at 01:43 PM by lncc63 »
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
Re: Upgrade 1, 2, 3 ... 7
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM »
Just a note to myself mostly.

A PS3 can play an SACD? 

Found the answer HERE.  3rd generation PS3s and older no longer have the SACD playback capability.

The good news is the Bluray player I have, a Sony BDP-S370, does and it can be set to output DSD (Direct Stream Digital).  So now I have to find a SACD.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB