Author Topic: LG 2011 42PW350 / 50PW350 3D PLASMA TV HDTV Review  (Read 64768 times)

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LG 2011 42PW350 / 50PW350 3D PLASMA TV HDTV Review
« on: Apr 30, 2011 at 11:03 AM »
Reach out to the PinoyDVD community by posting your opinion of this new LG 42PW450 and 50PW350.

JUST ARRIVED!

LG 3D Plasma TV 42PW350 (3D Kit not included) at cash P35,500.; 12 months P40825.,

Or get this TV for as low as P25,499. and settle the balance at 0% interest of P999/mo. for 12 months

- FREE wall bracket
- FREE 1.4 3D compliant HDMI cable
- 2 year LG Phil. warranty

Features
- 3D Ready TV (w/2D to 3D Conversion)
- TruSlim Frame
- 600Hz Sub Field Driving
- 1024 X 768 High Definition Resolution
- ENERGY STAR® Qualified
- Picture Wizard II (Easy Picture Calibration)
- Intelligent Sensor Smart Energy Saving
- ISFccc® Ready

Available at Sights and Sounds 4th level Shangri-La Plaza. Tel. 634-1789 to 90.

Buy TV at Sights and Sounds and win grand prize of All-New Volvo S60 Sports Sedan 2011 model from  Shangri-La Plaza.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011 at 10:36 AM by E-reply »

Offline abcerase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: LG 2011 42PW350 3D PLASMA TV HDTV Review
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011 at 03:47 PM »
To the owners, just want to ask how's the 3D quality? How about gaming/image retention? Thanks!

Offline PUSH

• Collector
  • servant-leader!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011 at 04:08 PM »

attractive for a plasma with 107watts power consumption...

hope there will be more in depth reviews
Registered PDVD member since Nov. 02, 2002 \m/

Offline Mannyx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011 at 08:14 PM »
I'm very interested in this 3D plasma TV esp now that price has been lowered to P35,500 inclusive of wall bracket, 2 units of 3d eyeglass and 1.4 HDMI cable.

How much Sir Vic ang extra 3d eyeglass?

Offline espionage

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011 at 04:37 PM »
Just got this yesterday LG 3D Plasma TV 42PW350, and all I can say is wow :o. First time to have plasma, 2D pa lang panalo na. Waiting for the eyeglasses and many thanks Sir Vic for the very nice deal. Highly recommended +100 ;D. This is my 2nd time na bumili and the best talaga sa customer service, good staff specially John John. Sights and Sounds really rocks! ;)
Samsung 65" NU7100 | Onkyo TXSR608 | Zidoo X9S | AMD HTPC | PS4 | A-Audio FS | WH3 CS | Daichi Surr

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011 at 02:16 PM »
I'm very interested in this 3D plasma TV esp now that price has been lowered to P35,500 inclusive of wall bracket, 2 units of 3d eyeglass and 1.4 HDMI cable.

How much Sir Vic ang extra 3d eyeglass?

Eyeglass at P2999.each.  :D

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011 at 02:56 PM »
Review of this model to follow.

Offline abcerase

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011 at 03:58 PM »
Review of this model to follow.

Looking forward sir carlo :) Hope you can include a review on its 3D features as well...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011 at 06:21 AM by abcerase »

Offline erwin111

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011 at 07:08 PM »
Just got this tv today in SnS.. easy and simple transaction.. what can I say about this TV?..   we played tangled movie as requested by my daughter.. it is normal mkv HD file and the display is at par with my previous 42x20 display.. we converted it to 3d via the tv, and the effect is way above my expectation.. you can adjust also the 3d depth conversion to your liking.. then i connected my PS3.. as i've read in avforums, you should set PS3 output to HDMI at auto.. surely it would detect the display as 3d capable.. then i played super stardust,  as it is a described 3d game.. once you start the game, you would be notified by the game if you want to play the game in 3d (before when i was using a different display, it was not giving that notification).. choosing 3d and would trigger 42pw350 to turn on 3d mode and notify you to turn on 3d eyeglass.. turn on and WOW.. just WOW.. seeing the blowing asteoids is so much fun to look at.. and once your ship explodes, debris is like passing through you... i'll try later GT5 (since it is also a known 3d game) and look for actual 3d movie.. for now, all i can say, this tv is bang for the buck.. cheapest way to enjoy 3d in your home..

update: GT5 also looks good in 3d, but i'm more impressed with the 3d effect on super stardust.. i'll try wipeout next.. playing a 3d half SBS mkv file works on the internal media player (playing the file on xtreamer also is working), then set 3d mode side-by-side on tv, looks great (way better than the 2d to 3d conversion of the tv).. the 3d effect using a half SBS file on the 42PW350 is comparable, in my opinion, to a RealD cinema (not yet an IMAX type experience  ;))
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011 at 11:12 PM by erwin111 »

Offline abcerase

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011 at 03:39 PM »
Just got this tv today in SnS.. easy and simple transaction.. what can I say about this TV?..   we played tangled movie as requested by my daughter.. it is normal mkv HD file and the display is at par with my previous 42x20 display.. we converted it to 3d via the tv, and the effect is way above my expectation.. you can adjust also the 3d depth conversion to your liking.. then i connected my PS3.. as i've read in avforums, you should set PS3 output to HDMI at auto.. surely it would detect the display as 3d capable.. then i played super stardust,  as it is a described 3d game.. once you start the game, you would be notified by the game if you want to play the game in 3d (before when i was using a different display, it was not giving that notification).. choosing 3d and would trigger 42pw350 to turn on 3d mode and notify you to turn on 3d eyeglass.. turn on and WOW.. just WOW.. seeing the blowing asteoids is so much fun to look at.. and once your ship explodes, debris is like passing through you... i'll try later GT5 (since it is also a known 3d game) and look for actual 3d movie.. for now, all i can say, this tv is bang for the buck.. cheapest way to enjoy 3d in your home..

update: GT5 also looks good in 3d, but i'm more impressed with the 3d effect on super stardust.. i'll try wipeout next.. playing a 3d half SBS mkv file works on the internal media player (playing the file on xtreamer also is working), then set 3d mode side-by-side on tv, looks great (way better than the 2d to 3d conversion of the tv).. the 3d effect using a half SBS file on the 42PW350 is comparable, in my opinion, to a RealD cinema (not yet an IMAX type experience  ;))

Thanks for sharing the experience! I can feel the excitement! :)

Just a question though, since you seem to use your ps3 a lot on your new TV, how is the image retention? Do you use the "Image Sticking Minimisation" Is it effective? Thanks!

Offline erwin111

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011 at 06:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing the experience! I can feel the excitement! :)

Just a question though, since you seem to use your ps3 a lot on your new TV, how is the image retention? Do you use the "Image Sticking Minimisation" Is it effective? Thanks!

i can see faint ir once i use the ISM white wash.. i use the ISM before turning off the tv for a few minutes, ir would already be washed out.. but when in normal tv/movie viewing after using ps3 for an hour or 2, i don't see the ir with viewing distance of 6feet but looking closely would reveal ir.. maybe i only see faint ir because i'm used to low contrast setting or i'm not really a heavy ps3 user so static images are not really taking too long.. i think the orbiter ISM setting would also help, i'm not really sure how it would affect the viewing, i can't see any difference between normal and orbiter.

Offline abcerase

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011 at 08:39 PM »
i can see faint ir once i use the ISM white wash.. i use the ISM before turning off the tv for a few minutes, ir would already be washed out.. but when in normal tv/movie viewing after using ps3 for an hour or 2, i don't see the ir with viewing distance of 6feet but looking closely would reveal ir.. maybe i only see faint ir because i'm used to low contrast setting or i'm not really a heavy ps3 user so static images are not really taking too long.. i think the orbiter ISM setting would also help, i'm not really sure how it would affect the viewing, i can't see any difference between normal and orbiter.

Thanks sir for your time! :)

Offline nato

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011 at 02:29 PM »

it's good to know that it can play SBS mkv file format! i have a lot of this file format on my media box. how's the PQ when playing 1080 source? thanks

Offline erwin111

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011 at 04:26 PM »
it's good to know that it can play SBS mkv file format! i have a lot of this file format on my media box. how's the PQ when playing 1080 source? thanks

2D content is comparable to pana 42x20 PQ when 42PW350 is calibrated.. but comparing both units in their default setting, for me, 42PW350 has lower contrast.. don't see any difference of PQ between 1080p and 720p source, maybe because the display is 1024x768 resolution only.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011 at 05:41 PM »
Got to test he unit already.

Feed back soon.

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011 at 01:16 AM »
I won't do a hyper extensive review of this TV simply because it mirrors the performance of it's 2-D sibling, in a non 3-D environment. Just to give a round about say on it's 2-D capabilities, I'd say it's pretty competent with good color tones and fairly good blacks. Although, it trails the Panasonic C10/X20/X30 in the black level department, especially when viewed in a dark room environment, the PW350 can still work it's charms for movie buffs if you're a fan of LG!

If deeper gorgeous blacks and true cinematic colors are a forefront for you, then there are a number of plasma models better than this LG. Panasonic's V20, U20 and even the Samsung plasma seem to have a sharper and a more cutting edge definition.

On to 3-D...

3-D for this model seems to be good at the get go, prevailing upon the user with a new dimension into movie viewing. Needless to say, 3-D in any form can really bring a certain "wow" factor for most of us. Especially when this once "theatre only" experience trickles to our homes...

If I was not accustomed to our import Panasonic VT20 (did not bother to review that model), I'd be filling this section of the impression with unabated praises. That said, the PW350 is the best way to experience 3-D less the high price tag. However, you'll also get images that are more jaggy and lesser defined when compared to the Panny 3-D and the fuller 3-D LED models from Samsung and Sony. But with it's price, anyone shouldn't complain at all.

They always say "you get what you pay for"...But with the LG42PW350, I can honestly and confidently say that you'll get a little more than what you paid for. ;)

Peace!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 at 01:17 AM by Carlo777 »

Offline nato

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011 at 07:39 AM »
2D content is comparable to pana 42x20 PQ when 42PW350 is calibrated.. but comparing both units in their default setting, for me, 42PW350 has lower contrast.. don't see any difference of PQ between 1080p and 720p source, maybe because the display is 1024x768 resolution only.

very interesting indeed. thank you!

Offline E-reply

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM »

GREAT impressions, and thank you for buying TV at Sights and Sounds.  :D

Offline dreidrei

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011 at 09:14 PM »
sir may i ask what is an SBS-MKV file? isnt it just a normal MKV file? and when you say convert-does it mean it can convert the regular (ANY)movie into a 3d? can this TV can actually convert the usual MKV file in our media player into 3D? ??? sorry for the noob queries sirs but im just really fascinated with 3d movies.

Offline erwin111

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011 at 11:55 PM »
sir may i ask what is an SBS-MKV file? isnt it just a normal MKV file? and when you say convert-does it mean it can convert the regular (ANY)movie into a 3d? can this TV can actually convert the usual MKV file in our media player into 3D? ??? sorry for the noob queries sirs but im just really fascinated with 3d movies.

SBS MKV is just an ordinary mkv file but the image is split in 2 side-by-side if you play this file as is using any mkv player (whether htpc or nmt).  If you have 3dtv, for example 42PW350, this side-by-side image can be rendered like an overlapped image (actually displayed by 3dtv alternately the left and right image but too fast that it is like we are seeing an overlapped image of left and right image).  This alternate left/right image is in sync with active shutter glasses.  So at the time the left image is shown, your 3d glasses is blocking your right eye (shutting) and vice versa.  This would now generate the 3d image.  Another type of mkv file for 3d viewing that I encountered is up-down.  This type of image can be handled also by 42pw350.  Other types that can be handled by this 3dtv is checkered and wiggle but I haven't encountered this type of source files.

2D to 3D conversion of 42pw350 is possible for any mkv file (any type of movie file, dvd, bd) but the 3d depth is not that deep compared to an actual 3d source.  Based from my observation, only contrasting colors of an ordinary image will be rendered in 3d.  To enjoy this 3dtv, I would suggest you to have actual 3d source (PS3 3d games, BD 3d movies or sbs mkv files).

Offline nato

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011 at 08:38 AM »
SBS MKV is just an ordinary mkv file but the image is split in 2 side-by-side if you play this file as is using any mkv player (whether htpc or nmt).  If you have 3dtv, for example 42PW350, this side-by-side image can be rendered like an overlapped image (actually displayed by 3dtv alternately the left and right image but too fast that it is like we are seeing an overlapped image of left and right image).  This alternate left/right image is in sync with active shutter glasses.  So at the time the left image is shown, your 3d glasses is blocking your right eye (shutting) and vice versa.  This would now generate the 3d image.  Another type of mkv file for 3d viewing that I encountered is up-down.  This type of image can be handled also by 42pw350.  Other types that can be handled by this 3dtv is checkered and wiggle but I haven't encountered this type of source files.

2D to 3D conversion of 42pw350 is possible for any mkv file (any type of movie file, dvd, bd) but the 3d depth is not that deep compared to an actual 3d source.  Based from my observation, only contrasting colors of an ordinary image will be rendered in 3d.  To enjoy this 3dtv, I would suggest you to have actual 3d source (PS3 3d games, BD 3d movies or sbs mkv files).

if i am understand it correctly, you need to play the SBS mkv directly from the 3DTV's USB port (using external HDD etc..)tama ba Sir?
does 42pw350 decode DTS/AC3 audio format playing MKV file and using its USB port?

Offline erwin111

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011 at 03:47 PM »
if i am understand it correctly, you need to play the SBS mkv directly from the 3DTV's USB port (using external HDD etc..)tama ba Sir?
does 42pw350 decode DTS/AC3 audio format playing MKV file and using its USB port?

it is possible to play sbs mkv file through usb port of 42pw350.  but it can be played on any mkv player.  if the mkv player is connected to 42pw350, you would need to manually turn on 3d side-by-side mode of the display(internal usb player of 42pw350 would also need to manually turn on 3d when playing sbs mkv).  i personally prefer to use external player in playing sbs mkv.  42pw350 cannot decode DTS through its usb port.  but this tv has optical digital out that passthrough the dts signal. 
(note that playing BD 3d or PS3 3d source will auto turn on 3d mode of the display)

Offline nato

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011 at 04:27 PM »
it is possible to play sbs mkv file through usb port of 42pw350.  but it can be played on any mkv player.  if the mkv player is connected to 42pw350, you would need to manually turn on 3d side-by-side mode of the display(internal usb player of 42pw350 would also need to manually turn on 3d when playing sbs mkv).  i personally prefer to use external player in playing sbs mkv.  42pw350 cannot decode DTS through its usb port.  but this tv has optical digital out that passthrough the dts signal. 
(note that playing BD 3d or PS3 3d source will auto turn on 3d mode of the display)

+1
that's what i need to know! many thanks sir for sharing your observation and enlightening us here. ;D

Offline erwin111

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011 at 09:54 AM »
+1
that's what i need to know! many thanks sir for sharing your observation and enlightening us here. ;D
i have to correct myself.. internal usb player does not passthrough dts signal to digital out..

Offline dreidrei

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: LG 2011 42PW350 / 50PW350 3D PLASMA TV HDTV Review
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011 at 07:41 PM »
Sir erwin111 thanks so much for your inputs.  Now im really into this 3d stuff even more. ;D

Offline natosan

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011 at 08:24 PM »
How much is the 50 inch model?

Offline ultramanxp

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM »
Sa mga PW350 users,

I have been going to stores recently and comparing LEDs with plasma.
nabasa ko kc na supposedly ay mas oks ang plasma when it comes to handling motion blur.. pero from my eyes tingin ko talaga my motion blur yung plasma tvs na nakikita ko..
i realized mostly mga tinitingnan ko ay plasma 3ds with 3d turned off. so could it be na kaya sha my blur is because it has the 3d feature although it is turned off..

what are your takes about your units when it comes to motion blur?

Motion blur is that effect you get when for example the camera moves from left to right and parang nagja-jagged yung image right? (not sure kung tama terminology ko , paki-correct n lang po ).

thanks for your inputs!

Offline erwin111

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011 at 07:12 PM »
Sa mga PW350 users,

I have been going to stores recently and comparing LEDs with plasma.
nabasa ko kc na supposedly ay mas oks ang plasma when it comes to handling motion blur.. pero from my eyes tingin ko talaga my motion blur yung plasma tvs na nakikita ko..
i realized mostly mga tinitingnan ko ay plasma 3ds with 3d turned off. so could it be na kaya sha my blur is because it has the 3d feature although it is turned off..

what are your takes about your units when it comes to motion blur?

Motion blur is that effect you get when for example the camera moves from left to right and parang nagja-jagged yung image right? (not sure kung tama terminology ko , paki-correct n lang po ).

thanks for your inputs!

I can't comment much about motion blur, because I'm having hard time looking in fast action sequences.  I don't know which has motion blur or not.  But in slow panning (camera moves from left to right slowly), I don't see any lag compared to my previous lcd display.  Based from my observations, both PW350 and pana 42x20 (both plasma) does not skip/lag during panning. I have 32lx80, which has obvious skipping during slow panning scenes.

Offline d_aloysius

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011 at 09:47 PM »

update: GT5 also looks good in 3d, but i'm more impressed with the 3d effect on super stardust.. i'll try wipeout next.. playing a 3d half SBS mkv file works on the internal media player (playing the file on xtreamer also is working), then set 3d mode side-by-side on tv, looks great (way better than the 2d to 3d conversion of the tv).. the 3d effect using a half SBS file on the 42PW350 is comparable, in my opinion, to a RealD cinema (not yet an IMAX type experience  ;))

sir erwin have you tried playing nba 2k11 on your 3d tv, meron kasing option akong nakita sa 2k11 na pwede sya sa 3d display....eto kasi madalas na nilalaro dito sa bahay ;D playoffs fever....we're also planning to get this unit...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011 at 09:48 PM by d_aloysius »

Offline erwin111

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011 at 06:15 AM »
sir erwin have you tried playing nba 2k11 on your 3d tv, meron kasing option akong nakita sa 2k11 na pwede sya sa 3d display....eto kasi madalas na nilalaro dito sa bahay ;D playoffs fever....we're also planning to get this unit...

cge try ko tonight, feedback ko na lng sayo