Author Topic: The Religion Thread  (Read 362260 times)

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
Re: The Religion Thread
« Reply #360 on: Apr 27, 2012 at 09:31 PM »
Ronald Reagan is reportedly not very religious. Barack Obama attends church more often than Reagan who hardly did.

Offline sharkey360

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #361 on: Apr 28, 2012 at 04:45 AM »
Ronald Reagan is reportedly not very religious. Barack Obama attends church more often than Reagan who hardly did.

Funny that many people viewed Reagan as a fighter for religious freedom during the late stage of the Cold War. Even the extremists like Pat Robertson sided with him.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #362 on: Apr 29, 2012 at 04:02 PM »
Analytic Thinking Can Undermine Belief
A series of new experiments shows that analytic thinking can override intuitive assumptions, including those that underlie religious belief

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=losing-your-religion-analytic-thinking-can-undermine-belief

"Obviously, this study doesn't prove the nonexistence of God. But it poses a challenge to believers: If God exists, and if believing in God is perfectly rational, then why does increasing rational thinking tend to decrease belief in God?"

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #363 on: Apr 29, 2012 at 05:33 PM »
Analytic Thinking Can Undermine Belief
A series of new experiments shows that analytic thinking can override intuitive assumptions, including those that underlie religious belief

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=losing-your-religion-analytic-thinking-can-undermine-belief

"Obviously, this study doesn't prove the nonexistence of God. But it poses a challenge to believers: If God exists, and if believing in God is perfectly rational, then why does increasing rational thinking tend to decrease belief in God?"

Well IMHO, i guess they did not use their analytical thinking in lieu of their faith/belief.  :D

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: Apr 29, 2012 at 08:29 PM »
I think there should be belief in God and belief in religion. I for one believe there may be a Supreme Being and while I respect and even believe in the wisdom and traditions of religion, I think by and large religious dogma is largely b.s.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: Apr 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM »
I think there should be belief in God and belief in religion. I for one believe there may be a Supreme Being and while I respect and even believe in the wisdom and traditions of religion, I think by and large religious dogma is largely b.s.

Ako naman, a religion should be a means of building a relationship with God. And yes, belief in God and religion are two different things. Just like magkaiba din ang faith and belief.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: Apr 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM »
I don't know whether to put this under LGBT issues or Religion but since it's heavily religious and they banned religious content in the LGBT thread, I'm putting it here.

Any thoughts on Miriam Quiambao's controversial tweet:

“Homosexuality is not a sin but it is a lie from the devil. Do not be deceived. God loves gays and wants them to know the truth,”

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #367 on: Apr 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM »

Any thoughts on Miriam Quiambao's controversial tweet:

“Homosexuality is not a sin but it is a lie from the devil. Do not be deceived. God loves gays and wants them to know the truth,”

My thoughts?  Her tweet doesn't make sense.   ???

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 04:36 AM »
It is not a sin to dress and act like a woman if you are a man, having sex with a another man is....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 08:54 AM »
It is not a sin to dress and act like a woman if you are a man...

In my opinion, the bible is against cross-dressing:

A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the Lord your God detests anyone who does this. (Deut. 22:5)

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #370 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 09:07 AM »

A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing, for the Lord your God detests anyone who does this. (Deut. 22:5)

pano sir ang jeans. i think it was made for guys back then.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 09:17 AM »

IMO, ok lang ang jeans for women.  

"Back then" should refer to biblical times, when the verse was written.  Jeans had not been invented yet back then, so you can't say the verse was referring to jeans.

Sabi ng mga Christian fundamentalists, palda lang ang puwede sa babae.  I disagree.  The verse says a woman must not wear men's clothing.  It does not say a woman must not wear jeans.  

Ito ang bawal:

Chaz Bono (Cher's daughter)

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2012 at 09:35 AM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #372 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 09:24 AM »

it was intended for men... then it must be for men only... the design... the fit... the zipper... jeans specifically made for men not for women...

imo... women should not wear jeans... lalunglalo na ang mga bakat na bakat or hubog sa katawan na jeans...

(except for some scenario..)

hmmm... well... its more on the objective why wear some kind/type of dress... kung magdadamit lang naman para makita ang hubog o tikas ng katawan... then.. huwag nang isuot ang damit....
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 09:43 AM »
imo... women should not wear jeans... lalunglalo na ang mga bakat na bakat or hubog sa katawan na jeans...

Kung bakat, ang problema ay yung fit, hindi yung jeans per se.

Kahit palda, kung mini and/or sobrang sikip naman, bawal din.

In that case, ang applicable ay hindi Deut. 22:5 (women should not wear men's clothing), kundi 1 Tim. 2:9 (women should dress modestly, with decency and propriety).

Paano kung nasa beach, bawal ang swimsuit?  Madali naman ang interpretation, huwag lang sarado ang isip.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2012 at 09:50 AM by barrister »

Offline alistair

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 10:28 AM »
Paano yung mga naka-denim bikini?

Double jeopardy?  ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 10:32 AM »
Paano yung mga naka-denim bikini?

Magkakamot kasi makati...  :D
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2012 at 10:35 AM by barrister »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #376 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 12:21 PM »

dpogs - Congratulations! You've discovered time travel. I didn't know you were posting from 1937. Why don't you go kill Hitler while you're there!

To the one who posted the Bible verse: Maraming bawal sa Bible na ginagawa ng tao. Eating shrimp, wearing clothes of two different fabrics, touching dead animals, working on the weekends, men shaving their beards, having contact with women who are on their period, etc. You're picking and choosing the parts of the Bible you want to follow. Religious homophobes like to pick the ones to justify their hatred and fear of LGBT people. I can only respect their position if you actually EVERYTHING in the Bible to the letter including stoning adulterers. Why don't you go throw a rock at Erap while you go around hating homosexuals? I'll respect you for that.

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #377 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 01:47 PM »
please put that argument sa LGBT issues... not here...

this is my post

we are expressing our opinion... at kung sa tingin mo ung post kong yan ay naglalaman ng hatred and fear of LGBT.. nasa sa iyo na yan...

There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #378 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 03:06 PM »
dpogs - Congratulations! You've discovered time travel. I didn't know you were posting from 1937. Why don't you go kill Hitler while you're there!

To the one who posted the Bible verse: Maraming bawal sa Bible na ginagawa ng tao. Eating shrimp, wearing clothes of two different fabrics, touching dead animals, working on the weekends, men shaving their beards, having contact with women who are on their period, etc. You're picking and choosing the parts of the Bible you want to follow. Religious homophobes like to pick the ones to justify their hatred and fear of LGBT people. I can only respect their position if you actually EVERYTHING in the Bible to the letter including stoning adulterers. Why don't you go throw a rock at Erap while you go around hating homosexuals? I'll respect you for that.

clearly, we know who bears hatred.

yes, please post your LGBT sentiments on the appropriate thread, klaus.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2012 at 03:07 PM by bass_nut »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 03:27 PM »

who defines what clothing can be worn by either man or woman?
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 03:30 PM »

did the bible also said it is wrong to act like a woman if you are a man? what i mean is yung pilantik ng daliri at manner of speaking? saang sitas makikita yan?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 03:37 PM »
clearly, we know who bears hatred.

yes, please post your LGBT sentiments on the appropriate thread, klaus.

The LGBT thread bans religious discussions. I think the religious aspects, whether the acceptance or non-acceptance of LGBT people is more appropriate for this thread unless the mods see fit to make it into a seperate thread altogether.

Disagreeing with or rejecting religious dogma or doctrines is not hatred. At least not hatred for PEOPLE.

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #382 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 03:55 PM »
did the bible also said it is wrong to act like a woman if you are a man? what i mean is yung pilantik ng daliri at manner of speaking? saang sitas makikita yan?

The closest in the New Testament is the word 'EFFEMINATE". And its in 1 Corinthians 6:9 King James Version (KJV)
"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor EFFEMINATE, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,"

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 04:03 PM »
Here's my stand sa LGBT, atheist whatever religion they believe. It's my opinion that they are somewhat "lost" or naliligaw. Sorry sa mga LGBT peeps if i sound annoying, harsh or insulting. I didn't mean to be harsh.

So it is our duty as christians, to respect them first and help/guide them accordingly. Let us leave the condemning etc to God alone. Arguing with the LGBT peeps won't help christians in our goal/mission spreading the gospel.

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #384 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 04:26 PM »
who defines what clothing can be worn by either man or woman?

We are missing the point here. Its not really the clothing but the intent of the heart why wear such clothing. Scottish, malaysians, indian, etc men wear skirts bec its just part of their culture.

In the old testament, I believe some laws like clothing, food, festivals were to sanctify (means to set apart) the nation of Israel. Israel was a new nation then and these laws was partly to constitute or to establish their culture.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #385 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 04:30 PM »
So it is our duty as christians, to respect them first and help/guide them accordingly. Let us leave the condemning etc to God alone. Arguing with the LGBT peeps won't help christians in our goal/mission spreading the gospel.

If your goal is to simply share the gospel, then no problem but if you're also trying to convert them into heterosexuality, then that's a problem. Studies have shown that trying to convert LGBT actually does more harm than good and a lot of it is tantamount to spiritual and mental abuse.

Jesus Christ never mentioned a single word about gays. In fact, there is a story in the Gospels about Jesus healing a Roman centurion's "slave". In some translations of the Gospels, the "slave" in question may actually be the teenage gay lover of the Roman centurion (as was the practice of the Roman soldiers at the time).  

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 04:58 PM »
If your goal is to simply share the gospel, then no problem but if you're also trying to convert them into heterosexuality, then 1. that's a problem. Studies have shown that trying to convert LGBT actually does more harm than good and a lot of it is tantamount to spiritual and mental abuse.

1. Ok lang. Hindi naman lahat ng bagay palaging madali.  :D

2. Well, baka mali lang ang approach.  ;)

I've seen converts. Wala pa naman akong nakitang problema. We cannot always generalize that it will do more harm than good.

Offline sharkey360

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #387 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 05:22 PM »
How religious is Michele Bachmann? She proved to be very judgmental with her views on homosexuals.

Offline bass_nut

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #388 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 05:34 PM »
<snp>
Disagreeing with or rejecting religious dogma or doctrines is not hatred. At least not hatred for PEOPLE.

so your chosen word [bs] is a way of simply disagreeing/rejecting only and WITHOUT hatred ?  ::)

yes or no ?

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #389 on: Apr 30, 2012 at 09:50 PM »
1. Ok lang. Hindi naman lahat ng bagay palaging madali.  :D

2. Well, baka mali lang ang approach.  ;)

I've seen converts. Wala pa naman akong nakitang problema. We cannot always generalize that it will do more harm than good.

So-called "converts"/ "success" stories are most likely either bisexuals simply renouncing their gay side or they're still gay and putting up a front for your judgmental eyes. You can only modify sexual BEHAVIOR but you can't change sexual orientation. Time and time again, reputable scientists, psychologists, psychiatrists and doctors have said homosexuality is as normal as being left-handed. Kayo lang mga super-banal ang matitigas ang ulo at makikitid ang mga utak na ayaw pa rin tanggapin to.

It's actually not a laughing matter, Nelson. Lots of LGBT people are driven to suicide because they cannot change and they get rejected by their families or they seem to change and lead miserable lives because they feel that they're living a lie.

If their families just learn to accept them for who they are, there will be no problem. Trying to force or guilt people to try and change their sexual orientation just to save yourself a little discomfort or potential embarrassment or to satisfy your religious beliefs is wrong. Period.

so your chosen word [bs] is a way of simply disagreeing/rejecting only and WITHOUT hatred ?  Roll Eyes

yes or no ?

No. Because I'm talking about a THING, not a person. I'm sorry but I don't bow to religious dogma the way I used to when I was younger. Much of religious dogma is either woefully outdated, irrelevant, downright silly and sometimes even harmful. Great if it inspires people to do good. Awful if it's used to control people's behavior through fear, guilt and shame.