Author Topic: The Religion Thread  (Read 363247 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Religion Thread
« Reply #1260 on: Mar 06, 2015 at 02:49 PM »
Ok lang yon sir.

Let's agree to disagree...  ;)

Offline shrek7

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Guru
  • God First! Family Second! Audio Third!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #1261 on: Mar 06, 2015 at 06:05 PM »
this is a very interesting thread!!! I would like to thank sir barrister, dpogs and sir nelson! Though medyo iba pa rin yung belief ko dun sa iba, madami pa rin akong natututunan. Again... thank  you!!!

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1262 on: Mar 06, 2015 at 07:37 PM »
this is a very interesting thread!!! I would like to thank sir barrister, dpogs and sir nelson! Though medyo iba pa rin yung belief ko dun sa iba, madami pa rin akong natututunan. Again... thank  you!!!
Indeed! Hats off to our very own pinoydvd "trinity"......for a very enlightening, thought-provoking, gentlemanly and respectful discussion.
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1263 on: Mar 09, 2015 at 11:50 PM »
John 10

27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.

29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.

30 I and the Father are one."

@Atty. Bro Barrister:
Doesn't these verses talk about the followers of Jesus, His herd? 

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1264 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 10:21 AM »
Yes, that's right.

But the correct English is "flock of sheep," not "herd of sheep."
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 at 10:21 AM by barrister »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1265 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 11:27 AM »
Yes, that's right.

But the correct English is "flock of sheep," not "herd of sheep."

Ang question na lang is, how can we become Jesus' flock of sheep.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1266 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 01:08 PM »
@ Atty. Bro. Barrister:

Magandang balitaktakan ito. Based on the book of Genesis, i have to agree with your example na God is not omnipresent and omniscience. However, naalala ko yun famous answer mo re forgiveness. God is forgiving but it is not absolute. God will only choose who to forgive if He deems it so. And there are examples in the Bible that God forgives, and God does not. Going back to omnipresent and omniscience, can we say na it is also not absolute, meaning God chooses not to be omnipresent or omniscience in certain cases, thereby giving way to man's free will?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1267 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 02:51 PM »
@ Atty. Bro. Barrister:

Magandang balitaktakan ito. Based on the book of Genesis, i have to agree with your example na God is not omnipresent and omniscience. However, naalala ko yun famous answer mo re forgiveness. God is forgiving but it is not absolute. God will only choose who to forgive if He deems it so. And there are examples in the Bible that God forgives, and God does not. Going back to omnipresent and omniscience, can we say na it is also not absolute, meaning God chooses not to be omnipresent or omniscience in certain cases, thereby giving way to man's free will?

Magandang topics nga ang mga yan.

Naalala ko yung kantang Lift Up Your Hands by Basil Valdez.  Lipat tayo sa thread mo bosing:

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,170692.210.html
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2015 at 02:51 PM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #1268 on: Mar 10, 2015 at 04:09 PM »

is it you need to be a sheep once first before you can live like a sheep... or to continue live (do) like a sheep to be a sheep someday :)
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline JT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #1269 on: Mar 31, 2015 at 08:44 AM »

The moment you receive Jesus as your Lord, He becomes your shepherd. That already makes you a sheep in His flock.

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1270 on: Mar 31, 2015 at 10:44 AM »
If God is not omnipresent, does it mean He cannot hear all prayers?
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1271 on: Mar 31, 2015 at 03:39 PM »

Of course God can hear our prayers without being omnipresent.

You're assuming that God can't hear us from that far away, so He has to be literally present on earth just to hear a prayer?

God is in heaven, and God can hear our prayers from heaven.

Thus, Deut. 26: 15 says:

15 Look down from heaven, your holy dwelling place, and bless your people Israel and the land you have given us as you promised on oath to our ancestors, a land flowing with milk and honey.”

Where is God?  In heaven.  The Israelites were praying to God to look down from heaven, which is His dwelling place. 

If God were everywhere, He wouldn't even have a specific dwelling place, because He would be dwelling everywhere.

That's why Jesus said:

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. (Matt. 6: 9)

Where is the Father?  In heaven, of course.  Otherwise, Jesus would have said, "Our Father which art everywhere."   
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2015 at 12:45 AM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1272 on: Mar 31, 2015 at 11:34 PM »
Some Bible verses that shows God is omnipresent

Jeremiah 23:24 (KJV)
Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.

Hebrews 4:13 (KJV)
Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Psalm 139:7-10 (KVJ)
7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

John 14:16 (KJV)
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you..

John 14:26 (KJV)
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1273 on: Apr 01, 2015 at 12:37 AM »

I don't think so.

=======================================

Jeremiah 23:24 (KJV)
Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.

That's sight.

Hebrews 4:13 (KJV)
Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

That's sight again.

John 14:16 (KJV)
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you..

John 14:26 (KJV)
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

The Holy Ghost will be sent.   

Why did the Holy Ghost have to be sent?  Because it's not omnipresent. 

If it's everywhere, then it's already there.  Why send it if it's already there?

7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

At first glance they seem to be the strongest verses in favor of the omnipresence doctrine.  But they seem to show omnipresence only because they are misinterpreted.

I am aware of those verses.  In fact, I had already posted Psalm 139: 7-8 before, in my discussion with sir Nelson.  I challenged him to reconcile, but he did not make an attempt to do so ---

On the issue of omnipresence, medyo nagulat ako at agree ka na God is not omnipresent, since as far as I know, the majority of Christian denominations believe that God is omnipresent.

Pahihirapan kita nang konti, sir  ;) :

Kung hindi omnipresent ang Diyos, how would you reconcile that with these verses ---

7Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. (Ps. 139: 7 & 8 )

If I were to read the Psalms verses, it does clearly state that God is everywhere.

No, it does not.  ;)

I cited it because it's the verse commonly cited by those who believe God is omnipresent.  But I disagree with their interpretation.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2015 at 12:47 AM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1274 on: Apr 01, 2015 at 02:29 AM »
God Jesus is talking to them (present with them) and in His absense physically Holy Spirt is there (present with them) basically God never left us...

The Holy Spirit speaks to each person regarding their sins... Holy Spirit is responsble for souls regeneration (a man cannot enter the Kingdom unless he/she is born of Spirit - born again)... after you were born again the Spirit will now indwell within you forever - ito ang ibig sabihin ni Jesus na He will send the Comforter to be within you - indwell... but in reality before we got saved the Holy Spirit is already there guiding us on how to be save...

God the Father is in the throne and God the Holy Spirit dwell within me...
God is in the throne and at the same time God dwells within me...

God the Father is in the throne right now and the Holy Spirit is present with me right now...
God is in the throne right now and at the same time God is present with me right now...

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #1275 on: Apr 01, 2015 at 11:58 AM »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1276 on: Apr 01, 2015 at 01:43 PM »

Isn't it amazing how the internet, instead of making us smarter, actually makes us dumber?  :D

This Jesus-Horus connection theory nonsense is not new. 

Probably the earliest published work about it was contained in book The Natural Genesis, first published in 1883, by Gerald Massey, an English poet who was also a spritualist and Ancient Egypt enthusiast.  His theories influenced later writers such as Alvin Boyd Kuhn, Tom Harpur, Yosef Ben-Jochannan, and Dorothy M. Murdock (pen name Acharya S.).

==================================

There is no basis to conclude that Horus was born of a virgin.

Horus’ mother, Isis, was married to Osiris. 

After Osiris is murdered and hacked into 14 pieces by his brother, his widow Isis puts him back together again and brings him back to life for a short period, for the purpose of conceiving a son.  But Osiris' penis is missing, because it was previously thrown into the river Nile and eaten by catfish.  So, Iris makes a substitute penis for Osiris, attaches it to his body, performs intercourse, conceives and gives birth to Horus.

Virgin birth ba yon?  That's what we get from relying on internet memes.  :D

===================================

There is no basis for saying that Jesus was born on Dec. 25.  That date was an invention of pagan origin, which was unfortunately adopted by various Christian sects.  The date of Jesus' birth is unknown.  In fact, bible scholars agree that Jesus was definitely not born in the month of December.

Horus was not born on Dec. 25 either.  Horus was born on the first of the Epagomenal days in the Ancient Egyptian calendar.  This coincides with July 14 in our modern calendar, which means Horus was not even born in December. 

There is no basis for saying that a star led 3 wise men to the newborn Horus.

This is an invention that started in The Origins of Christianity, a book by Dorothy M. Murdock (pen name Acharya S.).  She claims that there were three stars that led the wise men named the kings in Orion.  Her claim was based on unfounded claims by Gerald Massey, whose only source material was his interpretation of some "panels" supposedly at Luxor, Egypt, which nobody else seems to know about.

There is no basis for saying that Horus was taken to Egypt to flee the wrath of Typhon.

Horus was not taken to Egypt; he was born in Egypt.  He didn’t have to "flee the wrath of Typhon," since Typhon never tried to kill him.  It was his uncle, Set, who was trying to murder him.

There is no basis for saying that Horus taught in the temple as a child. 

The majority of information in Egyptian text about Horus is about his adulthood.  There is an account of his birth, but there is nothing about the child Horus supposedly teaching in the temple.

That story is an invention that cannot be backed up by any source material.

There is nothing in the Horus stories about any supposed baptism of Horus.  There is simply no basis for this claim.

It's Acharya S. who claims that John the Baptist is actually Anup the Baptizer.  But there is no mention of this person in any of the Horus accounts.  Again, a modern invention without any basis whatsoever.

Jesus had 12 disciples.  Horus did not.  According to the Horus accounts, Horus' followers were 4 demi-gods. 

Massey points to a mural in the Book of Hades in which there are twelve reapers, and says they are the 12 disciples of Horus.  But Horus is not even present in this scene, so the connection is baseless and forced.

There is no source material that can be the basis for the existence of somebody named "El-Azur-Us."  The name is a nice 20th century invention that sounds similar to "Lazarus," but an invention nonetheless.

Kayo na lang ang magtuloy... sayang lang kuryente ko dito...  :D

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2015 at 11:19 AM by barrister »

Offline JT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #1277 on: Apr 01, 2015 at 03:39 PM »

Indeed the bible does not directly says God the Father is Omnipresent. The psalms above refers to His spirit which we may refer to the Holy Spirit. He is everywhere and dwells to every believer. In God's Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent attributes, I believe its the nature of the entire Trinity.

God the Father is the Omnipotent, His title The Almighty. The Lord Jesus is the Omniscient, remember He is "The Truth", and the Holy Spirit is the Omnipresent nature of God.  The three being One God.

Offline newbie pa rin

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1278 on: Apr 06, 2015 at 01:56 PM »
@barrister
Have you reasearch on Aleph Tav? 
One good reading can be found here www.lasttrumpet.org/aleph_tav.htm

Hats off on you research on Horus
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1279 on: Apr 06, 2015 at 05:16 PM »
@barrister
Have you reasearch on Aleph Tav? 
One good reading can be found here www.lasttrumpet.org/aleph_tav.htm

This Aleph Tav is new to me, so I had to google it.  Unfortunately, it turns out that your linked article is utter nonsense.

Aleph Tav is part of ancient Hebrew grammar, untranslatable to English because it has no English equivalent.

Aleph Tav is transliterated as "et" or "eth," with Strong's Hebrew Number 853.  See the Hebrew interlinear of Gen. 1:1 --- http://biblehub.com/interlinear/genesis/1.htm  Literal translation -- ... the earth and the heavens __ God created...

The subject is "God," the transitive verb is "created," the direct objects are "the earth and the heavens."

The blank corresponds to the Hebrew "et."  This is an accusative in Hebrew grammar, but there is no equivalent in English grammar.  "Et" connects the transitive verb to the direct object, indicating that God was the one who created the earth and the heavens, and it was not the heavens and the earth that created God.

Notice in the Hebrew interlinear, the blank corresponds to Strong's # 853 above, then below as "et" in the English alphabet, and furthest below as "Acc" in Hebrew grammar.

http://biblehub.com/hebrewparse.htm

Acc means "accusative," which means the form of a noun used to mark the direct object of a transitive verb.

In English, we have accusative cases for pronouns, but none for nouns. 

Thus, using pronouns, we say "He called her," to indicate that "he" was the one who called.  Reversing the order, we say "She was called by him," not "Her was called by he."   

While there is a difference when pronouns are used, there is no difference when nouns are used.  Thus, we say "Jose called Maria."  Reversing the order, we say, "Maria was called by Jose."  No difference in the nouns used.

But in other languages such as Latin and Hebrew, they have accusative cases even for nouns.  That's why the accusative in ancient Hebrew nouns cannot be translated into English.

Beware of claims of "hidden messages" in the bible such as the so-called "Bible Code," etc., or you risk wasting your time in esoteric baloney.

The bible is not hard to understand.  On the contrary, it's so easy to understand, that it was revealed to "little children":

25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26 Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do. (Mt. 11:25-26)

14 In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: “‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. (Mt. 13:14)
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2015 at 09:57 PM by barrister »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1280 on: Apr 15, 2015 at 06:42 PM »
Most religious and least religious countries.

I'm surprised the Philippines wasn't over 90%. Progress, I suppose.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1281 on: May 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM »
Agree ba kayo dito?

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #1282 on: May 15, 2015 at 01:50 PM »
Ikaw, sang ayon ka ba?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015 at 01:51 PM by rascal101 »

Offline luis

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • All in heaven's time.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #1283 on: May 15, 2015 at 02:21 PM »
my own interpretation lang ha on Catholic Religion when it comes to Old and New Testament messaging:

Old Testament:  Justice and Punishment

New Testament:  Love and Forgiveness

why there is a change in messaging, I do not know.

What do I believe and what is my anchor:  I believe in the Gospel, Love, Forgiveness, Faith, Hope, Humility, extending extra hand, extending extra understanding, extending extra effort.  I shy a away from getting angry, I am trying very hard not to be judgmental and vindictive.  Shying away also from being negative.

just sharing he he he...   ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1284 on: May 17, 2015 at 11:33 AM »
Agree ba kayo dito?

No, I don't agree with it.

The reason is very simple.

In the time of Abraham, God talked to man directly.  These days, God does not talk to man directly anymore.

If God commanded you to murder a child, sira lang ang ulo mo.  Hindi Diyos ang narinig mo.  Kaya magpatingin ka na habang maaga...  :D 

I saw Alex Gonzaga in The Buzz. I think she's insane since she just publicly claims that when she prays God actually talks back to her and she is able to quote exactly what He's saying to her.

Insane?  Not necessarily.

Why assume she's actually hearing anything?  It never occurred to you that she's lying?

Personally, I think she's lying.  Hindi naman bago yon.  Maraming ganon, gusto lang palabasin na banal sila...  :D

Agree ba kayo dito?

That internet meme, allegedly from Ray Comfort, is probably a fake.

This one is probably the real facebook post:

Ray Comfort
July 16, 2013 ·

Comment: “God told Abraham to sacrifice his son to prove his love."

Ray Answers: God told Abraham to "offer" Isaac, and when he was about to kill him, God stopped him (see Genesis 22). This is a Bible "type"-- of God sending His “only-begotten Son” to suffer for the sin of the world. Any dirt we try and throw at God will always come back down on us, because He is without sin.

Download "Evolution Vs God" Here ->
http://bit.ly/188W7Qj

https://www.facebook.com/official.Ray.Comfort/posts/609564042397406

The Abrahamic dilemma
Written by Jeremy
March 6th, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Twitter was all a-bluster this week with a hoax — what a surprise? — about Ray Comfort and the story of Abraham sacrificing his son for God. A person named Martin Roberts supposedly asked Comfort whether he would be willing, like Abraham in the Bible, to kill his son to show his devotion.

Here is Comfort’s fictitious reply:

Of course I would do as The Lord commanded, it isn’t murder if it’s in God’s name, nothing he commands could ever possibly be considered evil as morality comes from God. Even cancer is a gift from God.

I would kill a thousand children if God asked me to, that’s because I have faith. As an Atheist you can’t possibly know the joy of faith. If The Lord commanded me to rape and kill my own children tonight it would be done by morning, you can’t shake my faith!

Comfort refuted this on his Facebook page:

I noticed an excessive amount of anger towards me today from indignant atheists, who were accusing me of saying “If the Lord commanded me to kill my own children tonight, it would be done by morning.” I never said such a horrible thing, nor would I. Please join me in prayer for the person who wrote this fake post.

http://www.jeremystyron.com/2014/03/the-abrahamic-dilemma/

Why does the internet, instead of making us smarter, actually make us dumber than we already are?  :D

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015 at 12:12 AM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1285 on: May 18, 2015 at 02:46 AM »
"professing themselves to be wise, they became fools" :)

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1286 on: Jul 22, 2015 at 01:04 PM »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1287 on: Jul 22, 2015 at 01:33 PM »

There's the internet meme again.

The bible says it's a sin to be left-handed?  That's new to me.

If that sin is mentioned 25 times in the bible, then it would surely be easy to cite just one instance.

Can you cite one instance where the bible says being left-handed is a sin?
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2015 at 01:34 PM by barrister »

Offline sirhc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 191
« Reply #1288 on: Jul 22, 2015 at 01:59 PM »
Strongly suspect that meme above was created as a sarcasm and is satirical in nature, it just a hunch though. A quick search regarding the topic led me to the landover baptist church forum, and had quite a laugh at that.  ;D
Never stop learning.

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1289 on: Jul 22, 2015 at 11:40 PM »
Actually, I posted it here to check if anyone can confirm if it's true.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2015 at 12:06 AM by SiCkBoY »