Author Topic: The Religion Thread  (Read 362150 times)

Offline pTrader

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: The Religion Thread
« Reply #1800 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 06:29 PM »

Tama.

It is talking about the righteous person.  What does the righteous person have?  He has both faith and good works.  That is why he is considered righteous. 

What happens to the righteous?  They go to eternal life:

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” (Mt. 25:46)

Abraham is an example of a man considered by God to be righteous:

21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.  (James 2:21-24)

"Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness. " That's faith.  Was it faith alone?  No.  "Abraham was considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac." That's work.

So, it's faith + works --- "You see that his faith and actions were working together."

Thus, James concludes:

26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.  (James 2:26)

Ang dali namang intindihin.  Pinipilit n'yo lang patunugin yung "faith alone" n'yo kaya gumugulo.

14What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?

So what is this faith that James is proving?

Offline dpogs

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #1801 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 06:49 PM »
Paul is subjecting his body as a prracher to obtain a prize. It is a prize, something he earned for that is why it is a prize. Now salvation is by grace, something we dont earned. So what is paul's prize?

If salvation is by grace, why there is a need to work for it? Then it is not grace anymore but by works.

What is your purpose of doing good works? Is it to earn your salvation?
There is none righteous, no not one.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1802 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 07:11 PM »
Paul is subjecting his body as a prracher to obtain a prize. It is a prize, something he earned for that is why it is a prize. Now salvation is by grace, something we dont earned. So what is paul's prize?

That's easy.  The analogy of the race and the prize can be found in different places in the bible.

Tell me what you think it means before I explain it.  Otherwise, you're giving me a fool's errand.
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2015 at 07:12 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1803 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 07:16 PM »
14What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?

So what is this faith that James is proving?

It is dead faith.  It's dead because it's useless.  It's useless because it has no use for the purpose of salvation.

Offline JT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #1804 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 07:28 PM »
I hope these verses in Amplified version can help sa discussion:

For Faith only ... Romans 4:4-6 (Amplified Bible)
"4 Now to a laborer, his wages are not credited as a favor or a gift, but as an obligation [something owed to him]. 5 But to the one who does not work [that is, the one who does not try to earn his salvation by doing good], but believes and completely trusts in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is [a]credited to him as righteousness (right standing with God). 6 And in this same way David speaks of the blessing on the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:"

And what about the "WORK" James is referring to?  I believe it is referring to good works as a natural result of our genuine faith ... RIGHT BELIEVING WILL PRODUCE RIGHT LIVING.

And I believe that this is the kind of WORK every believer should do to secure salvation ... 2 Peter 1:1-11 (Amplified Bible)
"1 Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle (special messenger, personally chosen representative) of Jesus Christ,

To those who have received and possess [by God’s will] a precious faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ: 2 Grace and peace [that special sense of spiritual well-being] be multiplied to you in the [true, intimate] knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. 3 For His divine power has bestowed on us [absolutely] everything necessary for [a dynamic spiritual] life and godliness, through true and personal knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. 4 For by these He has bestowed on us His precious and magnificent promises [of inexpressible value], so that by them you may escape from the immoral freedom that is in the world because of disreputable desire, and become sharers of the divine nature.

5 For this very reason, applying your diligence [to the divine promises, MAKE EVERY EFFORT] in [EXERCISING] your faith to, develop moral excellence, and in moral excellence, knowledge (insight, understanding), 6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, steadfastness, and in your steadfastness, godliness, 7 and in your godliness, brotherly affection, and in your brotherly affection, [develop Christian] love [that is, learn to unselfishly seek the best for others and to do things for their benefit]. 8 For as these qualities are yours and are increasing [in you as you grow toward spiritual maturity], they will keep you from being useless and unproductive in regard to the true knowledge and greater understanding of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For whoever lacks these qualities is blind—shortsighted [closing his spiritual eyes to the truth], having become oblivious to the fact that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, believers, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you [be sure that your behavior reflects and confirms your relationship with God]; for by [f]doing these things [actively developing these virtues], you will never stumble [in your spiritual growth and will live a life that leads others away from sin]; 11 for in this way ENTRY INTO THE ETERNAL KINGDOM of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly provided to you."

Makes sense???
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2015 at 07:53 PM by JT »

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1805 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 07:43 PM »

It is dead faith.  It's dead because it's useless.  It's useless because it has no use for the purpose of salvation.

So what kind of faith did James clarified which was sufficient?

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1806 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 07:59 PM »
That's easy.  The analogy of the race and the prize can be found in different places in the bible.

Tell me what you think it means before I explain it.  Otherwise, you're giving me a fool's errand.

I believe you're referring to salvation as Paul's prize. For me that prize is not the salvation since salvarion is a gift given to us not a prize to earned.

There are many prizes mentioned in the Bible which is applicable only to those who have salvation or genuine faith eg mansion, crowns, .. But not defimtely salvation because they already have it.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1807 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 09:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

The prize is eternal life.

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. (1 Cor. 9:24-27)

Christians are compared to runners in a race, or athletes in competition. All runners run, but only one receives the prize. 

That's another example of limitations of analogies.  It does not mean that only one will gain eternal life, it means a relatively few number will gain it.

The prize is eternal life, symbolized by the crown.  Here, the crown is called the crown that will last forever.  It lasts forever because the crown symbolizes the prize of eternal life, which lasts forever.

You do not just sit in a corner and believe you will win; you must actively work for it, just like any athlete.

When Paul became aware that he was about to die, he said:

6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.(2 Tim. 4:6-8)

The time for his departure is near.  The athletic analogy again - I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race.  There's the race of the runners again.

His life is about to end, and he knows he is about to receive the prize of eternal life --- the crown.  There's the crown again, here called the crown of righteousness, because the prize of eternal life is awarded to the righteous.

When will the crown of righteousness be awarded as a prize to the one who finished the race?  On judgment day.

That's why the verse says "the Lord, the righteous judge, will award it to me on that day."  He calls the Lord the righteous judge because he's talking about judgment day when he said, "on that day."

====================================

The crown is described similarly in other verses.  They are not different crowns, and they are not literal crowns.  They all refer to the same thing --- eternal life.

The crown of glory, because of the glory of eternal life that does not fade:

4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.  (1 Peter 5:4)

The victor's crown, because the victor will win the prize of eternal life:

Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.  (Rev. 2:8 )

Note that it is the crown of the victor, or the winner, as in the winner in a runners' race.  Note also that you run until the point of death, since your death is the finish line.  Note finally that you receive the crown after your death, and the crown symbolizes life.  Of course it means eternal life, since you will be given life "as your victor's crown" after your death.

The crown of life, because you gain eternal life, not eternal damnation:

12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. (James 1:12)

=====================================

Don't believe passively.  Press on towards the goal --- to win the heavenward prize:

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 3:14)
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2015 at 09:19 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1808 on: Sep 17, 2015 at 10:09 PM »
So what kind of faith did James clarified which was sufficient?

Where in the bible does James clarify that there is a kind of faith that is sufficient?
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2015 at 10:09 PM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1809 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 12:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. (1 Cor. 9:24-27)

Christians are compared to runners in a race, or athletes in competition. All runners run, but only one receives the prize. 

That's another example of limitations of analogies.  It does not mean that only one will gain eternal life, it means a relatively few number will gain it.

The prize is eternal life, symbolized by the crown.  Here, the crown is called the crown that will last forever.  It lasts forever because the crown symbolizes the prize of eternal life, which lasts forever.

You do not just sit in a corner and believe you will win; you must actively work for it, just like any athlete.

6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.(2 Tim. 4:6-8)

The time for his departure is near.  The athletic analogy again - I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race.  There's the race of the runners again.

His life is about to end, and he knows he is about to receive the prize of eternal life --- the crown.  There's the crown again, here called the crown of righteousness, because the prize of eternal life is awarded to the righteous.

When will the crown of righteousness be awarded as a prize to the one who finished the race?  On judgment day.

That's why the verse says "the Lord, the righteous judge, will award it to me on that day."  He calls the Lord the righteous judge because he's talking about judgment day when he said, "on that day."

The crown is described similarly in other verses.  They are not different crowns, and they are not literal crowns.  They all refer to the same thing --- eternal life.

4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.  (1 Peter 5:4)

Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.  (Rev. 2:8 )

Note that it is the crown of the victor, or the winner, as in the winner in a running race.  Note also that you run until the point of death, since your death is the finish line.  Note finally that you receive the crown after your death, and the crown symbolizes life.  Of course it means eternal life, since you will be given life "as your victor's crown" after your death.

12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. (James 1:12)

Don't believe passively.  Press on towards the goal --- to win the heavenward prize:

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 3:14)

Ahh ayon... well i just want to say this... ang lagi mong sinasabi - "it is unbiblical"... if you believe salvation is a prize then "it is unbiblical". if you believe salvation is something we need to earned and hard work is needed to obtain it then "it is unbiblical".

Salvation is not a prize that we need to earned by doing good works in order to obtain it. It is freely given to us as a gift. 'A gift" is very different to "a prize".

A gift such as salvation is given freely, offered freely, all we need to do is accept it and put all our faith and confidence to the One who gave it that whatever gift He offered He will fullfill it. A prize is something we earned, something we work for. Salvation is by grace, if it is by grace then it is no more works. If we add works to grace then it is no more grace.

Every Christian must run a race not to obtain eternal salvation because they are already have it, but because God rewards faithful servants/Christians.

God gave eternal salvation to those who have genuine faith on Him (period) and rewards/prize only to those who have faith on Him according to their works. And if those who have genuine faith did nothing here on earth there will be no rewards awaiting for Him but still going to heaven (only no rewards).

If we say that we need to do good work to earn our salvation, then it is just like to say that Jesus sacrifice and death on the cross is in vain. Jesus Christ completed the salvation and offered it to us freely, we dont need to work for that. What we need is to put all our trust and confidence on that saving grace of Jesus Christ. We need to recognize in ourselves that we dont have the ability to meet God's standards by doing good works. We need to recognize that what Jesus did on the cross is enough, sufficient and complete as a payment for our sins. Salvation is of God's work, it is not our work.

"4 Now to a laborer, his wages are not credited as a favor or a gift, but as an obligation [something owed to him]. 5 But to the one who does not work [that is, the one who does not try to earn his salvation by doing good], but believes and completely trusts in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is [a]credited to him as righteousness (right standing with God). 6 And in this same way David speaks of the blessing on the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:"

And what about the "WORK" James is referring to?  I believe it is referring to good works as a natural result of our genuine faith ... RIGHT BELIEVING WILL PRODUCE RIGHT LIVING.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2015 at 05:22 AM by dpogs »

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1810 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 11:51 AM »
Where in the bible does James clarify that there is a kind of faith that is sufficient?

The kind  of faith that James is not dead by which he said "21Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. "

And then he went on saying "so faith without deeds is dead.".

The faith that is sufficient is that faith that was made complete by deeds.

Sinabi mong ikaw ay ligtas sa pamamagitan ng pananampalataya, pero ano ang pruheva o ebidensya ng pananampalataya na yan.

Sa gawa ko makikita kung anong pananampalataya meron ako kaya ako ay matuwid.

Ibig sabihiin yung pananampalayata na ibinigay sa iyo kakakitaan ng gawa na siyang nagpapasakdal ng pananampalataya.

so faith without deeds is dead

The faith that is needed is the faith that is alive.

Faith pa rin po ang centro ng usapan.

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1811 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 12:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Note that it is the crown of the victor, or the winner, as in the winner in a running race.  Note also that you run until the point of death, since your death is the finish line.  Note finally that you receive the crown after your death, and the crown symbolizes life.  Of course it means eternal life, since you will be given life "as your victor's crown" after your death.

Kawawa naman itong criminal na ito inde man lang  niya  ginawa yung sinasabi ni barrister.
Ni  righteousness wala yung criminal kaya naparusahan.
Sa tinggin nyo according to the explanation ni barrister may eternal life kaya yung criminal na sinasabe sa ibaba?

40But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
42Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom. ”
43Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1812 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 01:43 PM »
Ahh ayon... well i just want to say this... ang lagi mong sinasabi - "it is unbiblical"... if you believe salvation is a prize then "it is unbiblical". if you believe salvation is something we need to earned and hard work is needed to obtain it then "it is unbiblical".

Ok lang yon sir.  I won't be offended if you say my views are unbiblical, hindi na kailangang magpasintabi. 

But note that I gave 6 bible citations explaining the prize and the crown.  You failed to cite even one verse supporting your understanding of what the prize and the crown mean.

Salvation is not a prize that we need to earned by doing good works in order to obtain it. It is freely given to us as a gift. 'A gift" is very different to "a prize".

A gift such as salvation is given freely, offered freely, all we need to do is accept it and put all our faith and confidence to the One who gave it that whatever gift He offered He will fullfill it. A prize is something we earned, something we work for. Salvation is by grace, if it is by grace then it is no more works. If we add works to grace then it is no more grace.

When the bible says you are saved, it means you are sure of eternal life now, if you die now.  It does not mean you are guaranteed eternal life no matter what you do.

The gift of salvation is conditional.

If a billionaire says he will give a thousand pesos to everyone who knocks on his door within the next 24 hours, the thousand pesos is a free gift, but with a condition.

You will be given a thousand pesos not because you worked for him as an employee, but because the giver just wanted to give it to the guy who complies with his condition.  If he doesn't want to offer the thousand pesos for just knocking, there's nothing you can do to make him freely give that offer.

The same is true with salvation.  It is a gift with a condition - that you abide in Him.  And you abide in Him by keeping His commandments:

23 And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. 24 Whoever keeps his commandments abides in God, and God in him. ... (1 John 3:23-24)

If the billionaire doesn't want to willingly give the offer, that's his right.  Nothing anyone can do can ever change that.  That's why it's not by your works that the offer was made; it was by the grace of the billionaire that you were given the offer.

So, if the billionaire decides to give a thousand pesos just for knocking on his door, that's a gift that is undeserved.  It's not an employee's wage for work. 

However, it's a gift with a condition - knock on his door within 24 hours.

How will the knocker be judged?  By his compliance or non-compliance with the condition:

6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.  (Rom. 2:6-7)

The basis of judgment?  According to what they have done.  Not just doing good works, but persistently doing good works.

Akala ko ba wala nang kailangang gawin?

That is why "faith alone" is not sufficient.  There are many things that must be added to faith:

5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. (2 Pet. 1:5-7)

Every Christian must run a race not to obtain eternal salvation because they are already have it, but because God rewards faithful servants/Christians.

No, that's not right.

Christians don't have eternal life while they are still physically alive.  They only have the promise of eternal life while they are still flesh and blood.  How can they have eternal life now, when they are not yet resurrected?

When the bible says you are saved, it means you have the promise of salvation now.

But there are conditions:

11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. (1 John 5:11-12)

God has given us the promise of eternal life.  We don't have eternal life now, because we're still flesh and blood.  But we do have the promise of eternal life now.

To receive eternal life after the resurrection, the condition is that we should have the Son.

12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life 13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.  (1 John 5:12-13)

We say you believe in the name of the Son if you have the Son in you.  The Son is in you if you keep His commands, and this is how you know you are in Him. 

3 We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did. (1 John 2:3-6)

How do we get eternal life?  We keep His commands.  That's faith + work, not "faith alone."

God gave eternal salvation to those who have genuine faith on Him (period) and rewards/prize only to those who have faith on Him according to their works. And if those who have genuine faith did nothing here on earth there will be no rewards awaiting for Him but still going to heaven (only no rewards).

You say faith without works can be considered genuine faith.

You've said a lot of unbiblical things before, but this has to be one of the worst.

If we say that we need to do good work to earn our salvation, then it is just like to say that Jesus sacrifice and death on the cross is in vain. Jesus Christ completed the salvation and offered it to us freely, we dont need to work for that. What we need is to put all our trust and confidence on that saving grace of Jesus Christ. We need to recognize in ourselves that we dont have the ability to meet God's standards by doing good works. We need to recognize that what Jesus did on the cross is enough, sufficient and complete as a payment for our sins. Salvation is of God's work, it is not our work.

I've explained this over and over again, but all you do is repeat what you said before.

If you want to contradict my explanation, point out where I'm wrong.  Don't just repeat what you said previously.

Jesus' death on the cross is complete.  Without it, the plan of salvation cannot take effect, no matter what we do.

Now that Jesus died and was resurrected, the plan of salvation is effective. 

We comply with the conditions of salvation and we will be saved.  Our past sins are forgiven, we are washed.  Now we follow the commands of Christ and we will receive eternal life.

Yes, the sacrifice of Jesus is complete.  "Complete," meaning we don't have to do anything?  Yes, we don't have to do anything so that the plan of salvation can take effect.  Salvation is now open to all, whether Jews or Gentiles.

"Complete," meaning we don't have to do anything to gain eternal life?  No.  It means "complete" for the purpose of giving effectivity to the plan.  Now that the plan is in effect, you follow the rules of the effective plan so that you can gain eternal life.  You comply with the conditions of the plan of salvation, now that the plan has taken effect.

Are good works required?  Yes.  You will be judged according to your deeds:

12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. (Rev. 22:12)

10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. (2 Cor. 5:10)

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. (Rev. 2:13)

Yes, James is referring to good works apart from the law of Moses.  The works that must come with correct faith.

But Paul (in Romans 4) is referring to works of the law of Moses.

4 Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation. 5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness. 6 David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works (Rom. 4:4-6)

A laborer's wages are given because the master owes the laborer his wages.  It is the master's obligation to pay the wage, so the wage is not a gift, it was something earned by the employee, and an obligation of the employer.

The one who does not work refers to the one who does not work for wages.  It does not mean he is not working; it means he still works, but he does not work as an employee.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2015 at 09:13 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1813 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 02:16 PM »
The kind  of faith that James is not dead by which he said "21Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. "

Tama. Faith + good works nga yon.

And then he went on saying "so faith without deeds is dead.".

The faith that is sufficient is that faith that was made complete by deeds.

Ganon nga ang sinasabi ko.  Faith + good works.

Sinabi mong ikaw ay ligtas sa pamamagitan ng pananampalataya, pero ano ang pruheva o ebidensya ng pananampalataya na yan.

Sa gawa ko makikita kung anong pananampalataya meron ako kaya ako ay matuwid.

Ibig sabihiin yung pananampalayata na ibinigay sa iyo kakakitaan ng gawa na siyang nagpapasakdal ng pananampalataya.

so faith without deeds is dead.

Tama.  Ganon nga ang sabi ko.

Hindi puwedeng faith alone.  Dapat faith + works.

so faith without deeds is dead

The faith that is needed is the faith that is alive.

Faith pa rin po ang centro ng usapan.

O, pinilit mo na namang ibalik sa "faith alone."

Hindi faith ang sentro ng usapan sa James (Santiago).  Faith ang sentro ng issue kay Pablo, kasi distinguished from works of the law ang kay Pablo.

Pero kay Santiago, ang issue, yung mga puro faith na lang.  Nililinaw ni Santiago na hindi ibig sabihin na pag inalis ang works of the law, dapat lahat ng works aalisin din.  Hindi raw ganon.  Faith must be accompanied by good works, not of the law, but good works apart from the law.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2015 at 02:34 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1814 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 02:27 PM »
Kawawa naman itong criminal na ito inde man lang  niya  ginawa yung sinasabi ni barrister.
Ni  righteousness wala yung criminal kaya naparusahan.
Sa tinggin nyo according to the explanation ni barrister may eternal life kaya yung criminal na sinasabe sa ibaba?

40But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
42Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom. ”
43Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Kinontra ba yan ng sinabi ko?  Hindi siguro.

Merong righteousness ang mabuting magnanakaw. 

Magnanakaw pa lang siya noong napatawan siya ng death penalty ng mga Romano.  Paano siyang maliligtas?  Faith  + works.

Nagkaroon ba siya ng faith?  Yes, naniwala at sumampalataya siya kay Hesus.

Nagkaroon ba siya ng works?  Yes, pinagsabihan niya yung isang magnanakaw, pinagtanggol sii Hesus, at hiniling kay Hesus ma makasama siya sa paraiso.

Ano yon, walang faith?  Naniwala nga siya at sumampalataya kay Kristo.  Ano ginawa niya sa faith na yon, tumahimik, pumikit at nag-meditate?  Hindi.  Pinagsabihan niya yung isang magnanakaw, pinagtanggol niya si Hesus, hiniling na makasama siya sa paraiso.  E di may works din na kasama ang faith.

Mali pa rin ang faith + works?  Wala na kong magagawa sa yo... :D
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2015 at 04:01 PM by barrister »

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1815 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 02:34 PM »
Kinontra ba yan ng sinabi ko?  Hindi siguro.

Merong righteousness ang mabuting magnanakaw. 

Bago siya nagbago, napatawan siya ng death penalty ng mga Romano.  Paano siyang maliligtas?  Faith  + works.

Nagkaroon ba siya ng faith?  Yes, naniwala at sumampalataya siya kay Hesus.

Nagkaroon ba siya ng works?  Yes, pinagsabihan niya yung isang magnanakaw, pinagtanggol sii Hesus, at hiniling kay Hesus ma makasama siya sa paraiso.

Ano yon, walang faith?  Naniwala nga siya at sumampalataya kay Kritso.  Ano ginawa niya sa faith na yon, tumahimik, pumikit at nag-meditate?  Hindi.  Pinagsabihan niya yung isang magnanakaw, pinagtanggol niya si Hesus, hiniling na makasama siya sa paraiso.

Mali pa rin ang faith + works?  Wala na kong magagawa sa yo... :D

how does your explanation below apply in the case of the criminal?
Unto which of the explanation below prove that he received   "the prize"?
and what  is the crown he received?

Thanks for the reply.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1816 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 02:39 PM »
Like I said, wala na kong magagawa sa yo sir.

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1817 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 03:02 PM »
Like I said, wala na kong magagawa sa yo sir.

or you do  not have explanation at all...

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1818 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 03:09 PM »
or you do  not have explanation at all...

You have the right to think so.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2015 at 03:09 PM by barrister »

Offline pTrader

• Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1819 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 03:43 PM »
You have the right to think so.
Sir, salamat sa patience, kindness  and sparing  time replying my posts.
Appreciated sir...

muli salamat..

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1820 on: Sep 18, 2015 at 04:03 PM »
O sige sir, ceasefire muna.

Remember, kasama sa debates ang asaran.  Normal lang yan, nothing personal.

Salamat din sa iyo sir..
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2015 at 07:23 PM by barrister »

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1821 on: Sep 28, 2015 at 02:10 AM »
Ano nga ba ang kulto?

Simula bata hanggang sa mag college ako ang pag-aakala ko sa isang kulto ay ang mga taong sumasamba sa demonyo, nag-aalay ng mga hayop (minsan tao  :(), etc... - mali pala ako :):)

Tapos napunta sa ideya na sinumang grupo na taliwas ang paniniwala sa paniniwala ng majority sa isang lugar. Ex. kung ang majority ay mga satanista at kukunti lang ang naniniwala sa Diyos, kulto ang mga naniniwala sa Diyos. - medyo may tama ako ng kunti :):)

pero sa ngayon, I prefer to call certain religious organization a cult if its teaching includes 1 or more of the following:
1) Jesus is not God
2) Salvation is achieved by our own works
3) Jesus death was insufficient to pay for our sins
4) Salvation is by joining their religion or by being a member of their church

Offline tony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy the hobby and be happy always!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7183
« Reply #1822 on: Sep 28, 2015 at 08:50 AM »
imho, religion is supposed to make a "better person" out of members....
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1823 on: Sep 28, 2015 at 09:46 AM »
imho, religion is supposed to make a "better person" out of members....

Better is subjective. Hehe! What may be better for us may not be better for others. :D

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1824 on: Sep 28, 2015 at 09:55 AM »
Better is subjective. Hehe! What may be better for us may not be better for others. :D

eh yun lang "huwag kang magnakaw" better na nga, ayaw mo pa non?
eh kung dating magnanakaw o mamamatay tao nakakita ng liwanag
at nagbalik loob sa Diyos, di ba much better yon?
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2015 at 09:56 AM by tony »
how do we defend our freedom? by the truth when it is assaulted by Marcos lies....

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1825 on: Sep 28, 2015 at 11:15 AM »
pero sa ngayon, I prefer to call certain religious organization a cult if its teaching includes 1 or more of the following:
1) Jesus is not God

Pag ganyan ang viewpoint, ang lalabas na definition ng kulto para sa iyo ay ganito:

A cult is any religious organization that disagrees with my beliefs.   :D

Why not just cite the dictionary definition of a cult instead of inventing your own self-serving definition.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2015 at 11:15 AM by barrister »

Offline tony

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1827 on: Sep 28, 2015 at 11:47 AM »
http://www.equip.org/perspectives/what-is-a-religious-cult/

That definition is still self-serving.

Pareho rin ang sinasabi niyan.  If your group has beliefs different from mine, your group is a cult.

Here's a neutral definition of a cult:

A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members. (Oxford English dictionary)

Therefore, the determination of whether a group is a cult or not will depend on the views of the greater majority, not on the views of any particular group.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2015 at 08:22 PM by barrister »

Offline panzimus

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1828 on: Sep 28, 2015 at 04:01 PM »
1) Jesus is not God

sabi nga sa kabilang thread, kung ganito ang definition ng kulto, pati ang Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. ay lalabas na kulto din pala at hindi relihiyon.

Offline dpogs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • love and discipline
  • Liked:
« Reply #1829 on: Sep 28, 2015 at 05:16 PM »
sabi nga sa kabilang thread, kung ganito ang definition ng kulto, pati ang Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. ay lalabas na kulto din pala at hindi relihiyon.

Its still a religion, and a cult i may say. Sabi nga relative na ang term na cult. Sa iba cult refers to minority... Kung ang term na cult ay nauso na sa panahon ni Jesus, Christianity can be considered as cult. :-)

Im afraid barriater is right, we usually call those who didnt share the same faith as cult. But for me i can only call a sect or religion a cult if they domt believe thate Jesus is God. Jehovah, mormom and INC are among them.