Author Topic: PBA Season 37  (Read 141515 times)

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: PBA Season 37
« Reply #330 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM »
ROS was just hot from everywhere, all night long ...... much like POWERADE was, during Q4 & OT of it's knockout game versus BMEG.

GINEBRA is widely viewed now by fans, as the 3rd wheel in the SMC family - despite arguably being the most consistent performing team, ahead of both BMEG & PETRON.

In some ways this is true, since Non & Eala has stacked both PETRON & BMEG with talent ..... courtesy of Pimp Daddy Bert Lina, of course.

GINEBRA has also been provided with talent; courtesy mostly of then RED BULL & Bert Lina teams ..... however the talent was mainly of the PG/SG variety e.g. Baguio, Cortez, Intal, Miller, C.Cruz, J.Wilson (draft rights via R.BULL), etc.

I'd say, some of the fault lies with Jong Uichico. Through the years, GINEBRA has had the oppurtunity to draft (Sena, Matias, Rodriguez, Llagas, Acibar, etc) or develop some of it's bigs (Kramer, Villanueva, Cervantez, etc) ..... yet Uichico insists on his small-ball plan - will make for exciting games, yet will usually fail against the other elite teams.

Ginebra's success through out the years has always been the HELTERBRAND and CAGUIOA Combo plus the still reliable MENK so somehow they havent changed their style yet to play BIG.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #331 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 02:23 PM »
Ginebra's success through out the years has always been the HELTERBRAND and CAGUIOA Combo plus the still reliable MENK so somehow they havent changed their style yet to play BIG.

yeah. however, we don't see the "menk of old" these days....it's the "old menk" that we now see (very seldom at that) on the hard court, and they can't seem to find a decent replacement for him. the H-Bomb will be back next conference, that would be an additional brute force underneath. but i think menk is on his way out already. he gets injured, rests for a number of games, plays a few and gets injured again. it's time to give reil cervantes his break. unfortunately, he's not getting it. i'm not so sure but was he placed on the reserved list?
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 02:35 PM »
I don't think Ginebra was really expected to go deep this conference.. they had too many injuries here and there.. kaya nga they made that trade eh.. next conference would be a better one for them.. Hatfield coming back.. Maierhofer getting healthy already.. kahit wala na si JJ, Mike Cortez' game is back na rin naman.. same goes with Caguioa.. pati si Rico Villanueva and Mamaril are doing way better.. tapos nakukuha na uli nina Canaleta at Intal yung confidence nila.. they get a good 7-footer import to man the paint and they're good to go..

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 02:42 PM »
Tuloy tuloy din un ratchada ng pagsadsad ni Coach Siot. Minalas na sya with SMB then this time again with his old partner Coach Jong. talagang ganun ang life parang bola minsan nsa taas minsan nsa baba. Before Coach Siot had great success that lead to his promotion to HEAD coach of SMB.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 09:28 PM »
next conference would be a better one for them.. Hatfield coming back.. Maierhofer getting healthy already.. kahit wala na si JJ, Mike Cortez' game is back na rin naman.. same goes with Caguioa.. pati si Rico Villanueva and Mamaril are doing way better.. tapos nakukuha na uli nina Canaleta at Intal yung confidence nila.. they get a good 7-footer import to man the paint and they're good to go..

indeed, the next conference looks bright for them. but i hope JJ returns. nakita naman natin na he still has it. as for an import, there is a clamor for them to bring back chris alexander.

Coach Siot had great success that lead to his promotion to HEAD coach of SMB.

siot was the assisstant of allan caidic before he became head coach of ginebra. after giving ginebra a couple of championships, he was sent to smb and jong to ginebra. smb got two (iirc) championships with siot, then was shipped back to ginebra as jong's asisstant. then became a co-coach this season.

sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: Dec 22, 2011 at 09:49 PM »
actually, Siot went to SMB when Chot Reyes was loaned to the National Team.. di na siya tinanggal dahil naging sentimental favorite siya after leading SMB to that beeracle run where they came from the wild card phase up to the semis..

when SMB started loading up its lineup with stars, nahirapan si Siot mag-ikot ng tao.. he was pressured to win considering the talent he had on his team.. he just won 1 championship with SMB and that was in the 2009 Fiesta Conference when they had Gabe Freeman as import and against Jong and Ginebra.. he brought SMB back to the finals in the 2010 Fiesta Conference against Alaska but he was replaced by Gee Abanilla in Game 5 and 6..

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Jan 06, 2012 at 08:18 PM »
what a great offensive game by Gary David 32 points and Marcio Lassiter 30 points.
I cheer for the underdog POWERADE what ever the result of their campaign maybe this season.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #337 on: Jan 06, 2012 at 10:43 PM »
what a great offensive game by Gary David 32 points and Marcio Lassiter 30 points.
I cheer for the underdog POWERADE what ever the result of their campaign maybe this season.

putek talaga lakas ni el granada lage..
Love me or hate me.....

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Jan 07, 2012 at 08:01 PM »
ARWIN for MVP. Grabe tlga maglaro yng PAYAT na yan. hndi man lng nasasaktan sa banggaan. lakas pa sa rebound at shoots very well pa from the outside.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Jan 07, 2012 at 08:30 PM »
ARWIN for MVP. Grabe tlga maglaro yng PAYAT na yan. hndi man lng nasasaktan sa banggaan. lakas pa sa rebound at shoots very well pa from the outside.

I think no one will agree with you that Arwind shoots very well from the outside.. ;D Swerte lang yung mga pinapasok niya..

But I do agree that he really is playing like an MVP these days.. yung depensa at rebounding niya ang nagpapatakbo ng opensa niya.. swerte rin siya ngayon kasi yung game ng mga kakampi niya, bagay sa laro niya.. but Petron has to get their guards going every game para sila manalo.. Cabagnot, Yeo and Miranda had great games tonight.. if they are consistent, they'll win this series.. what surprises me in this series is the performance of Petron's big men.. by any indication, TnT should be outplaying them but Rob Reyes and Danny I are giving them a fight..

Both semis series are actually evenly matched.. di mo talaga masasabi kung sino mananalo.. talent and skills wise, lamang ang TnT at RoS.. sipag at puso na lang ginagamit ng Powerade at Petron..

I want Powerade to win the other series but I do love to see a Yeng Guiao coached team in the Finals.. mas exciting pag andun si Yeng.. Petron-RoS would be nice kasi parehong palaban at maangas yung coaches.. ;D

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Jan 07, 2012 at 08:56 PM »
Actually Ranidel de Ocampo hasnt been playing well so TNT has to rely on Japet to give them a boost in adrenalin.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2012 at 08:59 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #341 on: Jan 07, 2012 at 09:00 PM »
I think no one will agree with you that Arwind shoots very well from the outside.. ;D Swerte lang yung mga pinapasok niya..

But I do agree that he really is playing like an MVP these days.. yung depensa at rebounding niya ang nagpapatakbo ng opensa niya.. swerte rin siya ngayon kasi yung game ng mga kakampi niya, bagay sa laro niya.. but Petron has to get their guards going every game para sila manalo.. Cabagnot, Yeo and Miranda had great games tonight.. if they are consistent, they'll win this series.. what surprises me in this series is the performance of Petron's big men.. by any indication, TnT should be outplaying them but Rob Reyes and Danny I are giving them a fight..

Both semis series are actually evenly matched.. di mo talaga masasabi kung sino mananalo.. talent and skills wise, lamang ang TnT at RoS.. sipag at puso na lang ginagamit ng Powerade at Petron..

I want Powerade to win the other series but I do love to see a Yeng Guiao coached team in the Finals.. mas exciting pag andun si Yeng.. Petron-RoS would be nice kasi parehong palaban at maangas yung coaches.. ;D

pareho pang kapampangan. magmurahan man sila magkakaintindihan pa rin ;D

Rob Reyes can match up with the TnT big men in height, heft, power, and aggressiveness but lacks the athleticism of the TnT big men. Ildefonso cannot match up with the height, heft, power, aggressiveness, and athleticism of the TnT big men. He is not the brash, two-time MVP, raise-the-roof type of player he was in his younger days. He knows he is at the end of his basketball career and yet he still finds ways to contribute. He still has the heart of a champion. With Baclao and Sharma seeing limited playing time, Santos, Reyes, and Ildefonso's abilities are maximized, which cannot be said of the TnT big men.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2012 at 09:01 PM by brainwashed »

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #342 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 07:18 AM »
interesting to see Agustin and Guiao coaching against each other.
i still remember BATA ni Guiao si Agustin during his RFM days both in the amateur and in the PBA.
Guiao's favorite plays for Agustin those days were the Back Door Plays.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 379
« Reply #343 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 09:39 AM »
Ato Agustin has seemingly picked up a lot from Yeng Guiao ..... IIRC, Agustin's last PBA stint was with the old RED BULL team.

I see a lot of Guiao in Agustin's style of coaching ..... preference to tough-minded players, toughening up those who arent, letting the players play through rough spots, equal-opportunity offense (though Cabagnot will drive the plays), etc.

One thing is definite, Ato Agustin hasn't followed the Ron Jacobs-school of slowdown, motion offense which has produced more than a few disciples e.g. Uichico, Tanquincen, Favis, Altamirano, etc.

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 08:26 PM »
lufet pala talaga ni gary david...nagliliyab na!  ;D

Offline mikz023

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 08:57 PM »
MVP na yan c El Granada.. Haha goodbye pba ata pasabog nyan lagi eh...

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #346 on: Jan 08, 2012 at 09:46 PM »
MVP na yan c El Granada.. Haha goodbye pba ata pasabog nyan lagi eh...

wasnt able to watch the game tonight. Who won and how many points did Gary David made tonite?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #347 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 02:29 AM »
wasnt able to watch the game tonight. Who won and how many points did Gary David made tonite?

Powerade won in overtime 104-99. Gary David made 31 points, 20 in the 4th quarter and OT periods.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 06:28 AM »
Powerade won in overtime 104-99. Gary David made 31 points, 20 in the 4th quarter and OT periods.

wow he should be recognized this season and be crowned MVP at last w/c he truly deserve .
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline retro12195

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #349 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 08:18 AM »
5 straight games  na 30+ points si GARY :o :o :o
Luxman L430 Denon DL 110 Yamaha YP 700c Paradigm M7V3
B&W OPPO ONKYO 636 Mission

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 12:51 PM »
the last time gary played liked that was also in the semis when they entered the finals. 2008, IIRC. but they did not win the crown that year. but this conference may prove to be different. gary now has a stronger support the last time around.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 03:35 PM »
Bakbakan nanaman mamya PETRON vs TNT.
The games have come alive again in the PBA since last conference/season.

i hope its goes full length GAME 7 para pati coaches magkainitan.
ATO calling CHOT a sissy Lol. . . .
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #352 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 03:54 PM »
Bakbakan nanaman mamya PETRON vs TNT.
The games have come alive again in the PBA since last conference/season.

i hope its goes full length GAME 7 para pati coaches magkainitan.
ATO calling CHOT a sissy Lol. . . .

ihirit ni ATO yan kay coach yeng... tingnan natin kung ano mangyari... =)

yeng and ato are both from pampanga by the way. =)

Online vinci

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 999
« Reply #353 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 08:22 PM »
galing ng petron!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: Jan 09, 2012 at 08:31 PM »
galing ng petron!

The intensity was great just like how the former Jaworski led Ginebra team played "Never Say Die".
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 08:10 PM »
6th consecutive 30 points games by David.
Any other local player in PBA history to have done that?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 379
« Reply #356 on: Jan 10, 2012 at 09:18 PM »
^ In my 3 decades of PBA watching, cant recall anyone else making that feat.

There have been many great scoring binges before e.g. Adornado, Co, Brown, Caidic, Asaytono, Meneses, Duremdes, etc ..... but not for 5-6 consecutive games.

Despite the earlier bad loss, Gary David is obviously still in a zone right now ..... no other recourse for Perasol but to "ride the bull, see where it takes him" ..... the very same words used by Ron Jacobs before, when Asaytono was deep in his scoring streaks.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 06:36 AM »
^ In my 3 decades of PBA watching, cant recall anyone else making that feat.

There have been many great scoring binges before e.g. Adornado, Co, Brown, Caidic, Asaytono, Meneses, Duremdes, etc ..... but not for 5-6 consecutive games.

Despite the earlier bad loss, Gary David is obviously still in a zone right now ..... no other recourse for Perasol but to "ride the bull, see where it takes him" ..... the very same words used by Ron Jacobs before, when Asaytono was deep in his scoring streaks.

"We live or die with the SWORD." those were the words of Jacobs when he was coaching San Miguel with Asaytona spearheading the attack.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2012 at 08:32 AM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM »
On other news, Jong Uichico has left Ginebra and the SMC organization and moved to the Smart Gilas program of SBP and MVP.. and the rivalry goes on.. ;D

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM »
that's MVP for you. there's news that MVP is also "recruiting" Tim Cone.

still on other news...Ginebra has a balik-import for the next conference. Chris "toothpick" Alexander.