Author Topic: Aiwa DVD Player  (Read 7099 times)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Aiwa DVD Player
« on: Nov 10, 2001 at 11:36 AM »
Just wanted to let you people know that the Aiwa DVD Player Model XDDV170 costs P10,390.00 only compared it to its original price at P14,990.00.  I saw it at Abenson.  Click on this to view

http://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=1917

I saw that it had a switch for PAL/NTSC at the back and the salesman claimed that you can view a PAL disc on an NTSC TV.  Meaning it has an internal converter.   :o :o  But I didn't bring any discs to test this player.  If anyone stumbles upon this model kindly post your findings thanks!
BTW, its remote hackable to multiregion and the guy there can do it for you.  Macrovision ???

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Aiwa DVD Player
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2001 at 06:50 PM »
Nirvblakr, I've been monitoring this player since September ;D, despite my misgivings with the AIWA brand(been burned before, repairs too costly and easily damaged, even w/ US brought ones, would you believe the after service dept.of Aiwa in the US stinks)I still think once the price goes a little lower, it'll be a good buy considering that it can be a travelling companion. Well, my guess is that we should still wait... maybe till next year after the holidays...bound to go cheaper, once those cheap DVD's arrive ;), BTW, Shinco has invaded Quiapo, at the Raon Mall, Php 8,300.00.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline marcel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2001 at 01:31 AM »
My boss bought one a couple of weeks ago. He's pretty satisfied with it, kasi all he wants is to be able to watch DVDs away from the computer.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2001 at 08:46 AM »
Alfie- Looks tempting to buy this player but I agree with you that the brand carrying this player is somewhat of a downside for me.  I myself bought an Aiwa component and the damn CD player just got broken, misaligned or some other freak cause happens to it and I gave up having the CD player repaired.  Same happened to its casette player.  I just used it now as an FM receiver. ???BTW, this component was bought a decades ago (1984). I dunno if the newer models have upgraded their chips or ICs to come out with improved, durable and reliable products. ??? Aiwa electronic products always come out with better features at a way lot cheaper price than its competitors.  Maybe one of the reasons why they sell their products cheaper is that they may be using underpar spare parts....probably! (just an assumption)

Marcel- once in a while ask your boss how is his player so we'll know if it lasted.  ;D

Any others who can share their experiences with Aiwa products?

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2001 at 09:06 AM »

Any others who can share their experiences with Aiwa products?

i've had my aiwa mini-compo w/ karaoke (3 disk cd player, dual tape deck ,tuner, remote and w/ matrix surround sound of 35watts per channel output) for nearly 10 years now, you might say my 1st venture in home theater then :), and up to now it is still working great! got it hooked up in my home-office next to my 32" sony trinitron.
i also bought the 5 year extended warranty noon 'cuz i wasn't sure w/ the aiwa brand name either...pero napaso na at hindi ko rin nagamit yung warranty.

Meron din akong aiwa cd-boombox sa bathroom...
masarap yatang mag concert sa shower  ;D
it's been there for about 2 years na..
and it's still working great...
considering all the moisture its been getting.
(just to avoid any confusion...the boombox sits next to the bathroom sink...at hindi sa loob ng shower/tub... hindi ito waterproof...;))

so ako bilib din ako sa aiwa...2 THUMBS UP 8)
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline apogee

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2001 at 05:40 PM »
aiwa is sony's economy brand.  technology is pretty good but build quality is a notch below sony.  in years past, aiwa was a tech leader in some areas such as cassette decks.  

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2001 at 10:45 PM »
This is their small-sized model right? The one around the size of a hardbound book? Kailangan kasi semi-portable yung DVD player ko because I live in Manila during the week and in Laguna during the weekend. Kaya palagi ko binibitbit yung DVD player. As of now I have a Philips DVD570M, bought it last year for 16,500. Its about a third larger than the Aiwa, about as big as a medical textbook, kasya na rin sa suitcase, lightweight naman pero tempted ako to swap it for the smaller Aiwa. Good decision ba ito? Tried and tested na yung multi-regionality ng Philips ko, and its been pretty durable considering I've been lugging it to and fro for the past year. So do I stay with my Philips or sell it and buy the smaller and cheaper Aiwa?

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2001 at 05:31 PM »

This is their small-sized model right? The one around the size of a hardbound book? Kailangan kasi semi-portable yung DVD player ko because I live in Manila during the week and in Laguna during the weekend. Kaya palagi ko binibitbit yung DVD player. As of now I have a Philips DVD570M, bought it last year for 16,500. Its about a third larger than the Aiwa, about as big as a medical textbook, kasya na rin sa suitcase, lightweight naman pero tempted ako to swap it for the smaller Aiwa. Good decision ba ito? Tried and tested na yung multi-regionality ng Philips ko, and its been pretty durable considering I've been lugging it to and fro for the past year. So do I stay with my Philips or sell it and buy the smaller and cheaper Aiwa?

Jude, it's always profitable to have a spare, it's one of the basic unwritten rules of life...more so if one can afford it and it's for one's pleasure. ;)
Last I read, a member was on his verge of buying his 5th unit... ??? ::)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 10:07 PM »
jude-Well, if they have the 3-5 year warranty for this player why not buy one diba?  I'm really curious about the internal converter if this is true huh.  Well, just test it nalang and don't forget to bring especially the badly encoded discs!  This player is very portable but I am still looking for a justification to buy another player considering I already have my laptop with DVD-ROM. Hmm....

bently- did you purchase your Aiwa products in the States or here in the PI?  I purchased mine from duty-free here in Manila.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 10:50 PM »

jude-Well, if they have the 3-5 year warranty for this player why not buy one diba?  I'm really curious about the internal converter if this is true huh.  Well, just test it nalang and don't forget to bring especially the badly encoded discs!  This player is very portable but I am still looking for a justification to buy another player considering I already have my laptop with DVD-ROM. Hmm....

bently- did you purchase your Aiwa products in the States or here in the PI?  I purchased mine from duty-free here in Manila.

i highly doubt that aiwa would give a 3 -5 year warranty on dvd players...most common warranty for dvd players is 90 days on labor and 1 yr. on parts.
3 to 5 year warranties are usually sold seperately as add-ons.

as for my aiwa..,they where purchased here in the states.

bently

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 10:59 PM »
bently- Don't know about quality control of Aiwa products here in the Philippines.  Got some friends who had similar complaints like mine especially the CD players wherein if you havent used them for a time...it just hangs and wont play discs anymore (technicians explained this by "dust accumulating in the lens???" duhh! ::). Remember the same problem with the laser disc players in that if you dont use them for a time, it wont play the discs anymore considering the last time you left it it was just working fine. I just don't know with the newer models.  I surmise that Aiwa products there in the States are more durable with more stringent quality control. :-/

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2001 at 11:19 PM »

bently- Don't know about quality control of Aiwa products here in the Philippines.  Got some friends who had similar complaints like mine especially the CD players wherein if you havent used them for a time...it just hangs and wont play discs anymore (technicians explained this by "dust accumulating in the lens???" duhh! ::). Remember the same problem with the laser disc players in that if you dont use them for a time, it wont play the discs anymore considering the last time you left it it was just working fine. I just don't know with the newer models.  I surmise that Aiwa products there in the States are more durable with more stringent quality control. :-/

good point...since i always clean the lens on my aiwa cd player...o baka mas ma-alikabok lang talaga sa pinas ;D

bently

Offline dongkhoi

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2001 at 12:11 AM »
I too have a bad experience with regards to the CD player of an Aiwa component. I know some of my friends have similar complaints. Kaya nga from then on, I would never trust any Aiwa made appliances anymore. >:(

Offline vacuumtubes

• DVD Guru
  • Smile!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2001 at 12:21 AM »
speaking of Aiwa ??? :-[

hindi ko alam kung nagkataon lang mga bro kasi three(3) units of different midi-compo models ang nabili naming Aiwa Brand (my sister, and in-laws) and sad to say na wala pang 1 year ay nagsibigayan na yung mga lens agad. >:(
at kahit na linisin mo pa yung lens ay ganun pa din na biglang humihinto at hindi nakakatapos ng isang cd at nag-skips din. :'(
samakatuwid ay magpaparepair na naman yung mga nakabili kong kamag-anak, hay naku much better kung bumili na lang ng bago, hehehehe! ??? ::) :o

may ibang units naman kami na Aiwa Brand din but still in good condition. but three defective units are too much ha! >:( 8)

ika nga NATSAMBAHAN na naman yata, hehehe! ;D

usapang AIWA lang naman o sige thank you ha at balik na ulit sa Aiwa DVD Player topic. ;) :D

vax

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2001 at 08:38 PM »
vax- Pinag-uusapan lang naman ang lens na bilis bumigay sa Aiwa, baka bumigay din kaagad ang lens ng DVD player na ita ah.  Baka yung problema ng lens ng CD players ng Aiwa ma-carryover sa DVD na player na to?  Any inputs ???

Offline quasar

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2002 at 07:41 PM »
I saw this player yesterday at Abenson and it is now priced at P9990, cash. When I asked the salesman whether it was multiregion, he said the unit had to be modified in order to play DVDs outside of region 3. This put me off at bit, since modifying the unit may invalidate the warranty. Can anybody confirm the salesman's statement?

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2002 at 08:08 PM »

I saw this player yesterday at Abenson and it is now priced at P9990, cash. When I asked the salesman whether it was multiregion, he said the unit had to be modified in order to play DVDs outside of region 3. This put me off at bit, since modifying the unit may invalidate the warranty. Can anybody confirm the salesman's statement?

Quasar What I know is that you will manually change the regions, it's in the DVD's Menu, hence no physically changes are to be made,hence, logically, warranty stays. ;)
However, I still find the price quite steep. ::)

Offline quasar

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2002 at 08:55 PM »
Thanks, Alfie. Maybe the price will go down some more in the next couple of months. Anyway, the unit is tempting for me because of its size and weight - I can easily bring it along whenever my family and I stay at my in-laws.

BTW, I should have known not to trust those Abenson salesmen. Another Abenson salesman once told me that a Pioneer DV909k (the LD/DVD/CD combo player) could be made multiregion by a modification. He didn't know that I knew that the region settings could be changed manually through the remote.

Offline brian

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2002 at 01:24 AM »
Hi Quasar,

I purchased an Aiwa for my parents from the Sony/Avid store in Galleria last December. The salesman took care of making it region-free. Basically, it required pushing 3 buttons simultaneously on the front panel with the unit  powered down. Can't remember which exactly as it's at another house. No HW mods and no extra charge for the service.

Brian

Offline quasar

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2002 at 07:32 PM »
Thanks for the info, brian. How much did you pay for the unit?

Offline brian

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2002 at 08:40 PM »
Sorry Quasar for the delayed reply as I was on paternity leave and couldn't get anywhere near the internet.

To answer your question, I think I paid P 9990 (sale price) for the unit. As mentioned earlier, I didn't pay extra to region-liberate the player because the first thing I asked was whether it was multi-region to begin with. The salesman said that they could take care of it and we proceeded with the demo after that.

One thing that they did not have though was an extended warranty program which I wanted to purchase for the machine.

Again, sorry for the delayed reply.

Brian

Offline quasar

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2002 at 11:12 PM »
Thanks again, brian.  Also, congratulations on the birth of your new baby!  Girl or boy?

Offline brian

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2002 at 04:49 AM »
Thanks Quasar. First time father to a baby boy.

Brian

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2002 at 12:32 PM »

Sorry Quasar for the delayed reply as I was on paternity leave and couldn't get anywhere near the internet.

Brian

CONGRATULATIONS! you must be so proud!

going back to the topic, this Aiwa DVD player you guys are discussin is the small one, right?

Offline brian

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2002 at 10:35 PM »
(Thanks again for the congratulations!!)

It's the small one (-- though not the portable with the LCD screen. ). Personally, I think its a good no-frills player.

I forgot to mention that it came with a stand -- if you can stomach the mirror finish and stickers on the front  :D

Brian

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2002 at 02:43 PM »
repost from a similar thread

hello all...

not sure if this is the proper forum  ??? but i really need some expert opinion re: AIWA DV370 (XD-DV370HE ang markings sa box actually)

anyone have this as their unit?

any comment about it will be highly appreciated :P  

thanks in advance

Offline cabletekkie

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2002 at 05:34 PM »

so my post finally found its place... ;D

sorry about that...and thanks for redirecting Mr. Moderator :D

anyway, the model i was refering to (X-DDV370) is quite bigger than the  DV170...

i hope somebody can provide some performance comparison between those 2 models...

and btw, are there still players finished in black? most of the ones i saw are either in gold or silver...just doesnt look good kasi as most of my stuff are in black  8)

thank you all in advance

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2002 at 06:02 PM »

so my post finally found its place... ;D

sorry about that...and thanks for redirecting Mr. Moderator :D

anyway, the model i was refering to (X-DDV370) is quite bigger than the  DV170...

i hope somebody can provide some performance comparison between those 2 models...

and btw, are there still players finished in black? most of the ones i saw are either in gold or silver...just doesnt look good kasi as most of my stuff are in black  8)

thank you all in advance

CableTekkie The only DVD's in Black are the APex DVDs, but you'll have to order them from the States.
Check out the Apex Thread. ;D
I also saw some black Pioneer DVDs at the HMR store in Mandaluyong, but I will not recommend them to you since they are second hand materiale. :-[

Offline benny

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2002 at 07:06 PM »
My friends and I were at the mall two days ago. We were planning to buy a dvd player that afternoon. Saw the Aiwa dvd player at Abenson's (Town Center) selling for 8,999. We were about to get it (also vacillating between the Aiwa and Konzert) and had bought some dvds to be tested - Charlie's Angels R1 and Bridget Jones R2. The salesman said something like - "Ay, Region 3 lang ito sir ... kung gusto niyo ipa-multiregion, pupuntahan pa kayo ng technician sa bahay..."  I tried to ask, explain about the codes (w/c I don't know, hehehe..) being inputted via remote or front panel buttons but he turned a deaf ear. Siguro naisip niya hindi siya kikita sa amin ng "extra" for converting the player.  ::) So, we hauled our collective butts out of the store and instead had a steak dinner at Friday's. (The last part was my imagination.)

I've read this two page thread on Aiwa but couldn't find any reviews about its performance. Did I miss it? Or has it been previously discussed elsewhere?  Any comments would be appreciated.  :)

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2002 at 07:43 PM »

My friends and I were at the mall two days ago. We were planning to buy a dvd player that afternoon. Saw the Aiwa dvd player at Abenson's (Town Center) selling for 8,999. We were about to get it (also vacillating between the Aiwa and Konzert) and had bought some dvds to be tested - Charlie's Angels R1 and Bridget Jones R2. The salesman said something like - "Ay, Region 3 lang ito sir ... kung gusto niyo ipa-multiregion, pupuntahan pa kayo ng technician sa bahay..."  I tried to ask, explain about the codes (w/c I don't know, hehehe..) being inputted via remote or front panel buttons but he turned a deaf ear. Siguro naisip niya hindi siya kikita sa amin ng "extra" for converting the player.  ::) So, we hauled our collective butts out of the store and instead had a steak dinner at Friday's. (The last part was my imagination.)

I've read this two page thread on Aiwa but couldn't find any reviews about its performance. Did I miss it? Or has it been previously discussed elsewhere?  Any comments would be appreciated.  :)

Benny Only Brian has bought an AIWA, it seems all of the other members who posted here either finds the price steep for an Aiwa or has been burned before, thus would not patronize the brand. ;)