Author Topic: Speaker Comparisons  (Read 204762 times)

Offline obelix

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Speaker Comparisons
« Reply #690 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 10:00 AM »
@JohnE, danrd - thanks for input... i'm actually leaning toward polk, but for the price of the mission... its just too hard to ignore, I'll most probably try to audition the two speakers before I make a final decision.

You guys mentioned to audition other speakers in the same price range, other than polk (tsi300) and mission (MV6) what other speakers could you guys recommend? (15 to 20Thou price range)

Offline tein

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sound and Vision Home Entertainment 0917-5160808
  • Liked:
Re: Mission or Polk?
« Reply #691 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 02:45 PM »
I'm currently in the process of upgrading my HT system and I'd like to ask some questions regarding the speakers mentioned.

Which would you choose Mission MV6 or Polk Tsi 300? I know na masmura yung MV6 but not by alot.

sir try also the infinity primus series at avshop's place together with the tsi 300's para macompare side by side.  ;)

Offline obelix

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #692 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 03:57 PM »
di ba mahal yung infinity na speakers? how much yung primus?

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #693 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 08:21 PM »
di ba mahal yung infinity na speakers? how much yung primus?

the infinity primus 362 is 24k. its very good. come by the shop to check them out. :)

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #694 on: Nov 11, 2009 at 04:12 AM »
@JohnE, danrd - thanks for input... i'm actually leaning toward polk, but for the price of the mission... its just too hard to ignore, I'll most probably try to audition the two speakers before I make a final decision.

You guys mentioned to audition other speakers in the same price range, other than polk (tsi300) and mission (MV6) what other speakers could you guys recommend? (15 to 20Thou price range)

PM sent  ;)
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline shrek7

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Guru
  • God First! Family Second! Audio Third!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #695 on: Jan 17, 2010 at 12:47 AM »
just want to share my experience on a great find, ive auditioned paradigm atom, minimonitor, titan, psb, wharfedale 9.1, 9.3, 9.5, and polk audio tsi 100, 200 and 300, i must say that my favorite is the tsi 300, very nice mids, vocals are really great, smooth sweet highs, palpable bass with oomph,wide soundstage, nice separation. that was before, until i heard a pair of floorstanding speaker that says COAX. a diy speaker that breaks the boundaries of sonic reproduction, (di naman masyadong exage noh ;D) just audition it, to hear it yourself! when i heard it, it made me speechless for a couple of minutes, after the audition, i made sure that i left the place with the speakers at the backseat of my car. warning (ingat po sa barang)

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #696 on: Jan 21, 2010 at 08:18 PM »
just want to share my experience on a great find, ive auditioned paradigm atom, minimonitor, titan, psb, wharfedale 9.1, 9.3, 9.5, and polk audio tsi 100, 200 and 300, i must say that my favorite is the tsi 300, very nice mids, vocals are really great, smooth sweet highs, palpable bass with oomph,wide soundstage, nice separation. that was before, until i heard a pair of floorstanding speaker that says COAX. a diy speaker that breaks the boundaries of sonic reproduction, (di naman masyadong exage noh ;D) just audition it, to hear it yourself! when i heard it, it made me speechless for a couple of minutes, after the audition, i made sure that i left the place with the speakers at the backseat of my car. warning (ingat po sa barang)

how much kuha mo Sir ng coax kay Bro. Anthony? papm n lang Sir...tia
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline mak_mak

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #697 on: Jan 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM »
im building my 2nd audio set up..speaker na lag po kulang..
im planning to get either of these 2 by next week...

paradigm
titan monitor V6

or

b&w
685 or dm 602 series3..
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2010 at 11:10 PM by mak_mak »
Focal Kanta N*2
Naim NAP 300 DR
Primaluna Dialogue Premium PreAmp

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #698 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 12:30 AM »
Why don't you consider the Polk Audio RTi A7 floorstanding speakers.

paradigm
titan monitor V6

or

b&w
685 or dm 602 series3..

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #699 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 12:32 AM »
The Polk Audio TSi300 is amazing, but if you audition the Polk Audio  RTi A7, you will be very impressed.

Offline brogger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
how about conventional speakers vs omnis'
« Reply #700 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 11:16 AM »
any take on the pros and cons between the two?

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #701 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 12:21 PM »

paradigm
titan monitor V6

or

b&w
685 or dm 602 series3..

youll be using the speakers with what amps/preamps/cdp/cart?
im allan - 09178087173

Offline mak_mak

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #702 on: Jan 22, 2010 at 07:46 PM »
sir, il be using
rotel 1062 integ amp.
rcd 06- (for the meantine)...
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2010 at 07:54 PM by mak_mak »
Focal Kanta N*2
Naim NAP 300 DR

Offline zekiber2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • "FAITH can move Mountains"
  • Liked:
« Reply #703 on: Jan 25, 2010 at 05:02 PM »
sir pa list naman ng mga speaker brands na locally available.. ;D

need ko lang po sa pag reresearch ko, para i know mga differences in advance before some audition

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #704 on: Jan 25, 2010 at 09:09 PM »
sir pa list naman ng mga speaker brands na locally available.. ;D

need ko lang po sa pag reresearch ko, para i know mga differences in advance before some audition
check out the marketplace, speakers threads.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #705 on: Jan 26, 2010 at 12:11 PM »
sir, il be using
rotel 1062 integ amp.
rcd 06- (for the meantine)...
if youll be sticking with rotel, better secure the best B&W speakers that you can afford.

im allan - 09178087173

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #706 on: Jan 26, 2010 at 12:33 PM »
if youll be sticking with rotel, better secure the best B&W speakers that you can afford.

Agree w/ Alan, Rotel matches well w/ B&W, good luck! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline mak_mak

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #707 on: Jan 26, 2010 at 08:48 PM »
Agree w/ Alan, Rotel matches well w/ B&W, good luck! :D

you two, are right sir...
ROTEL + 600 series = will impress you right at first time...BUT....??

any way..ill go with the titans..thanks for the insights..
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010 at 09:30 PM by mak_mak »
Focal Kanta N*2
Naim NAP 300 DR

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #708 on: Jan 27, 2010 at 08:19 AM »
ROTEL + 600 series = will impress you right at first time...BUT....??
but what sir? care to share?
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline zekiber2

• Collector
  • "FAITH can move Mountains"
  • Liked:
« Reply #709 on: Jan 27, 2010 at 08:39 AM »
@mak_mak

sir anong titan? music fidelity titan power amp?

Offline dionyjay

• Collector
  • i love my digms !
  • Liked:
« Reply #710 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 01:49 AM »
good day sirs, i'm a newbie here
sir, anong comments nyo sa paradigms speakers?

eto po set up ko

front: paradigm atom
rear: paradigm cinema 90
center: phase tech teatro 6.5
sub: paradigm PDR 10

amp: HK avr20II (yup luma po ito, mas ok po para sa akin ito since more on audio listening po ako)

:D
pagnakasumpong ka ng mabuti, gawin mo agad! wag ng patumpiktumpik

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #711 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 10:07 AM »
come to the shop and compare the polk tsi 400, tsi 300, infinity primus 362, b&w 683, rti a7 and wharf 10.5. :)

Offline accastil

• DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
« Reply #712 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 12:12 PM »
good day sirs, i'm a newbie here
sir, anong comments nyo sa paradigms speakers?

:D

nice bass, very efficient, big footprint, decent sound.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline mak_mak

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #713 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 10:23 PM »
paradigm..titan V6..exceptional..nothing compares at that price range...
Focal Kanta N*2
Naim NAP 300 DR

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #714 on: Jan 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM »
come to the shop and compare the polk tsi 400, tsi 300, infinity primus 362, b&w 683, rti a7 and wharf 10.5. :)

that's the best thing to do! audition but dont' ask for the price, ask for it after listening to all.
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #715 on: Feb 01, 2010 at 02:57 AM »
I have been going around auditioning bookshelf as much as I can.  First and foremost I wish to thank the people who accommodate their customers and make them feel special, makes you want to get their products even more.Among them is Wilfred of AV Driver Int'l., Noel of Audio Amplified, Joel of AVX Harrison Plaza, Marvin of JBL megamall and Nino of Spectra in Park Square. They would make you feel like you can afford and want to buy the products they offer, and I really if I just could ;D, I would definitely recommend them without a second thought. And while I have been to several others, the service is just average or less than pleasurable(makes you feel like they don't have time for you or you can't afford their products). I have just been to Manila, Makati and Pasig area so far and would still check out other brands in the Q.C. area soon.
I am a newbie so I try to learn and absorb as much as I can, so far, my container cannot fathom the things involved in this hobby, love or passion for great sound. I and building a decent sound system for myself and will primarily be used for music with the option to play HT occasionally. I am still confused if I should get a Denon 1909/1910 or just go for a dedicated stereo such as NAD and devote it for music alone(but that is another issue). For now let us talk speakers.
I have heard Wharfdale(diamond 9 series), Paradigm(atom, mini monitor), B&W(685), Arum Ventus( F-series and leasure 2sv), Mission(M31i and M32i), Infinity(Primus), Focal(Chorus 705V and 806V), Mordaunt Short, Bose and maybe one or two more I have missed out. So far I am very much impressed with Focal particularly the Chorus 806V among all others with the B&W 685 a close second, but the prices are beyond me at the moment and I am considering several others. Among them are the Mission M32i, the Paradigm Mini Monitor and Arum Cantus' Leasure 2SV. Is there any other within this price range that I should check out?
among my choices, which would you prefer?
should I just save up a bit more and give in to Focal?

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #716 on: Feb 01, 2010 at 03:43 AM »
Check out the PSB Image B25, Polk RTi A3, Mordaunt Short Aviano 2 and Tannoy Mercury F1. :)

I have been going around auditioning bookshelf as much as I can.  First and foremost I wish to thank the people who accommodate their customers and make them feel special, makes you want to get their products even more.Among them is Wilfred of AV Driver Int'l., Noel of Audio Amplified, Joel of AVX Harrison Plaza, Marvin of JBL megamall and Nino of Spectra in Park Square. They would make you feel like you can afford and want to buy the products they offer, and I really if I just could ;D, I would definitely recommend them without a second thought. And while I have been to several others, the service is just average or less than pleasurable(makes you feel like they don't have time for you or you can't afford their products). I have just been to Manila, Makati and Pasig area so far and would still check out other brands in the Q.C. area soon.
I am a newbie so I try to learn and absorb as much as I can, so far, my container cannot fathom the things involved in this hobby, love or passion for great sound. I and building a decent sound system for myself and will primarily be used for music with the option to play HT occasionally. I am still confused if I should get a Denon 1909/1910 or just go for a dedicated stereo such as NAD and devote it for music alone(but that is another issue). For now let us talk speakers.
I have heard Wharfdale(diamond 9 series), Paradigm(atom, mini monitor), B&W(685), Arum Ventus( F-series and leasure 2sv), Mission(M31i and M32i), Infinity(Primus), Focal(Chorus 705V and 806V), Mordaunt Short, Bose and maybe one or two more I have missed out. So far I am very much impressed with Focal particularly the Chorus 806V among all others with the B&W 685 a close second, but the prices are beyond me at the moment and I am considering several others. Among them are the Mission M32i, the Paradigm Mini Monitor and Arum Cantus' Leasure 2SV. Is there any other within this price range that I should check out?

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #717 on: Feb 01, 2010 at 03:47 AM »
thank you stagea, I have heard the PSB and Mordant Short. I will check the RTi and maybe the Tannoy too. thank you. among these which do you find impressive?

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #718 on: Feb 01, 2010 at 06:16 AM »

After listening to all these speakers, what have you learned so far, if I may ask? 

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #719 on: Feb 01, 2010 at 09:49 AM »
thank you stagea, I have heard the PSB and Mordant Short. I will check the RTi and maybe the Tannoy too. thank you. among these which do you find impressive?

Hmmh, that depends largely on the partnering equipment. Some gear sound better when matched with other items of certain characteristics.

It's hard to go wrong with any of these speakers and the ones that you've mentioned. It's all about the sound that you're after. The resulting sound depends on the speakers you use, the partnering gear (amp/source/ancillaries), and your room acoustics and layout.

As for your question about which one impressed me, it's relatively harder to get impressed after hearing high end stuff (thanks to store demos and the hifi show). With mild-sounding partnering gear (like Arcam or NAD), I prefer the Focal 806V. It may not have the punch of the 685, but it also seems better organized.

For the budget options:

The RTi is also a lively listen, with all the details in place. Similar sound to the B&W imho, but a tad less refined. Also check out the Monitor Audio BR2, as I find them vivid-sounding with the right matching gear.

The Tannoy F1 is a lot cheaper than the Focal or the B&W. It however provides a warm and laid-back sound (I love them for vocals and strings). It may also partner well with bright sounding gear. If you prefer the Focal and B&W over the rest, then you might like their forwardness and liveliness. Tannoys are quite the opposite.

I had the Image B25 in the past, and I think it's a very balanced sound. It's not particularly excellent in anything, but it doesn't do anything wrong. In my opinion it's a very safe purchase (together with the Aviano 2). For varied material and a sub-20k budget, they're on the top of my list.
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2010 at 10:04 AM by Stagea »