Author Topic: Your Thoughts on Philippine Audio Stores?  (Read 112709 times)

Offline BGA VI

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • surplus addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:Your Thoughts on Philippine Audio Stores?
« Reply #330 on: Mar 16, 2004 at 10:11 AM »
Hi, I recently bought an AV rack at TECH CENTRAL@MCS, ito experience ko, when we checked the glass shelves, i found that one of them had a small pingas sa dulo and the other one had a scratch. so i told them to change the 2 pieces, the guy there said that pareho lang daw yun, mahirap pa daw buksan yung ibang box so they said that they will get the ones from the display, so ok lang, but the problem is the one's in the display may pingas din, so i said hindi pwede yun. the guy insisted that PAREHO lang daw yun, wala naman daw problema.! meron pang isang shelf na hindi nila kinuha sa display kasi may naka patong, sabi ko i check niya,parang ayaw pa, so i finally lost it and told them kung ayaw niyo wag na lang.!!! then biglang kinuha, ok yung shelf na yun so binili ko na rin. My point here is would you accept any damage on something na babayaran mo na brand new !! Tamad lang kasi ang mga sales dito!!! Grabe !!! Nakahigh Blood Talaga bumili dito sa phils. !!!! Dapat turuan ng mabuti yung mga sales dito sa atin, NAKAKAHIYA !!!!. >:( >:( >:(

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #331 on: Mar 22, 2004 at 11:00 AM »
Yup, Tamad, indifferent.  I often wonder if salesguys get commissions from sales.  If they do, they'd pull heaven and hell to clinch a sale.  But I think they're paid minimum wages.  

Probabaly not as bad, but just as uncustomer-friendly is their lack of product knowledge.  

Let me just relate this very recent experience:

I had every plan of getting a Rotel RMB1066 6 channel power amp from this store at Park Square in Makati.  I was very excited that afternoon knowing that the day wouldn't end without me enjoying  a new toy in my set-up.

So I asked the salesguy to have their unit tested.  He hesitated and cellphoned his boss who apparently wans't around.  They didn't have a 6-channel pre-amp to test the amp and asked if i could go back the following day for this.  I said no, i can't and i wanted the amp today as this was the only time I have for this.

Buttom line, the shop didn't have the capability to test the Rotel.  I suggested using one of their Onkyo 800 receivers which had 6-channel pre-outs.  Still the sales guy and his boss said they can't.  Thank you and goodbye.  The guy obviously is not even trained to do simple pre-amp to main amp connections.  

Bought another power amp instead from another AV shop.  
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2004 at 11:00 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #332 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 02:13 AM »
I had a bad experienced with 5th ave at SM City. Its not about audio but intercom for the house Im building. After buying the units, I agreed to let them install the intercom. They scheduled it after mall hours and after two nights of installing, they said that I have to add new lines. After doing it, I called them up and they went back to the house to continue installing. They were not able to make it work and it always malfunctioned. I called them up again to check the units and after several tries,  they were still unsuccesful. The problem started here because they were starting to blame us that someone sabotaged their lines. It is very impossible because we never touched the intercoms. All installation were done by them. Next they were saying baka may multo so the more I got pissed, but I dont want to argue with  them because, I just want them to finish the job. I dont want to displeased my client so my priority was to finish the job. My client has already moved in and all my workers have pulled out. I even extended my foreman just to wait for them at night but to no avail. They were still unsuccessful and this time they were blaming my wires. Finally I decided to do it myself with the help of my electrician and foreman. It took us one whole day but we were able to make it work. I saw all the mistakes they did and they were even bragging that matagal na sila nagkakabit. Its a good thing medyo mabait naman sila kausap, I just dont like them blaming different things just because they cant make it work. I hope they wont do the same when someone hires them to do an HT.

Offline 7Even

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 11:28 AM »
What do you think of sales people on Upscale Audio in PArksquare1? My experience there is that when i enter the store, parang sinusukat yung kakayahan mo to buy expensive gears.

Well, that's i observe. ;)

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 11:39 AM »
What do you think of sales people on Upscale Audio in PArksquare1? My experience there is that when i enter the store, parang sinusukat yung kakayahan mo to buy expensive gears.

same observation and experience.   ;D

Offline 7Even

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #335 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 11:58 AM »
In fainess to Upscale Audio, their Megamall branch is very accomodating. 8)

same observation and experience.   ;D

Offline kimosabe

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 12:15 PM »

I agree, actually almost A/V shop na pinasok namin, walang pumapansik  :-[ kakahiya tuloy mag-test kasi hindi naman kami bibili.

Dapat siguro naka coat and tie ka  ;D ;D
if life has failed you, leave the cross you nailed to

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #337 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 12:17 PM »

Had the same feeling.  But in fairness to them, the salesguy there did entertain my questions, even as i was wearing only shorts, sandals and sleeveless shirt.  I was inquiring for a multichannel 200 watt amp and they only had entry level Perraux and Musical Fidelity.  Good ;D  I'm sure if they did I could't afford them. ;D

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 12:31 PM »
I agree, actually almost A/V shop na pinasok namin, walang pumapansik  :-[ kakahiya tuloy mag-test kasi hindi naman kami bibili.

kahit ala na coat ok lang aasikasuhin ka na. ;D ;D ;D.  already experienced this.  went there for two consecutive days, first one i was just wearing usual sunday casual clothes, alang pumapansin sa akin up to the point of letting me leave without even trying to ask what i needed.  AIDS (As If Doing Something)nga yung mga tao dun at that time since i was the only customer that time.  Next day went there after a meeting (dressed to kill, ahehehehhe). Was surprised by how they treated me with a little more respect (somehow there were still hesitations from them to accomodte me). nanunukat nga ng tao.  

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #339 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 12:40 PM »

Reminds me of a colleague who migrated to the US.  He was canvassing for a Benz wearing shorts and sandals and was snobbed by a car salesman who then attended to someone else wearing formal attire.  My friend promptly bought the car from another salesman who was kind enough to entertain him.  The snobbing salesmen dropped his jaw when he saw my friend in faded shorts and worn out sandals took out the benz SL450 out into the street.  He just lost  a whopping commission I'm sure the other kind salesman got.

Maybe we could teach these snobbing salesman at AV shops something like this.  

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: Mar 23, 2004 at 12:44 PM »
I had a bad experienced with 5th ave at SM City. Its not about audio but intercom for the house Im building. After buying the units, I agreed to let them install the intercom. They scheduled it after mall hours and after two nights of installing, they said that I have to add new lines. After doing it, I called them up and they went back to the house to continue installing. They were not able to make it work and it always malfunctioned. I called them up again to check the units and after several tries,  they were still unsuccesful. The problem started here because they were starting to blame us that someone sabotaged their lines. It is very impossible because we never touched the intercoms. All installation were done by them. Next they were saying baka may multo so the more I got pissed, but I dont want to argue with  them because, I just want them to finish the job. I dont want to displeased my client so my priority was to finish the job. My client has already moved in and all my workers have pulled out. I even extended my foreman just to wait for them at night but to no avail. They were still unsuccessful and this time they were blaming my wires. Finally I decided to do it myself with the help of my electrician and foreman. It took us one whole day but we were able to make it work. I saw all the mistakes they did and they were even bragging that matagal na sila nagkakabit. Its a good thing medyo mabait naman sila kausap, I just dont like them blaming different things just because they cant make it work. I hope they wont do the same when someone hires them to do an HT.

I think their AVESCO technical manager is a pompous ass who has a high regard of their abilities and looks contemptuously on customers who can't make their merchandise work.  The people at 5th are courteous, I have no quarel with that. They always refer back to their AVESCO management for problems with their merchandise.  And it's their AVESCO that I am not sympathetic about. They seem to treat their customers who have problems with their products after a sale with disdainful arrogance.   They'd put the blame on the customer. Never their fault.

Offline audioek-ek

• Apprentice
  • I'm an audio ek-ek!
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: Mar 28, 2004 at 11:18 AM »
Mga Peeps galing ako d2 nung Thursday may dumb na dealer sa 5th ave. AV store sa Park square1 nagtatanong ako kung may yamaha dvd player cla,eh komo summer, naka plain street clothes lang ako, sabi ba naman sa kin eh..wala pang DVD player ang yamaha!!!! >:(,sabay entertain dun sa naka-executive ang dating..pwe..mukhang pera talaga mga ganitong tao..nuod na lang ako sa YAMAHA AV showcase enjoy pa ko.

Offline enygma

• Collector
  • hirameki!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #342 on: Mar 28, 2004 at 06:35 PM »
di na siguro mababago iyung ganong attitude ng mga salesman na iyan. even when i was in uae nakaencounter din ako ng ganong salesman. nagtatanong kami ng price ng barkada ko sa mga receiver nila and this pinoy salesman imbes na sagutin iyung tanong ko, ang sabi ba naman 'sino ang bibili sa inyo'. sabi ko sa sarili ko konting pasensiya lang at sinabi ko na lang na nagcacanvasss ako para sa barkada ko. tanong ko kung magkano isang pair of speakers ng mission, sagot naman ay di sila nagbebenta ng pairs kundi isang 5.1 set-up. tapos sinabayan na ng kwento na may mga pumupunta raw doon na nakashorts lang at di niya akalain na makakabili ng bose speakers. ayun doon ko lang napatunayan na isa pala ito sa mga kinaiinisan nating salesman. iniwan naman pagkatapos at everytime na nakikita namin iyon sa store, angas ang tawag namin sa kanya ng barkada ko. kung ganito din lang ang makikita mong tao sa store di baleng pumunta ka ng pagkalayo-layo, basta't aasikasuhin ka nila mabuti. iyan ang ginamit kong dahilan nung bumili ako ng receiver bago ako pumunta ng uae. i lived in quezon city pero dumayo pa ako ng makati para lang doon bilhin ang receiver na gusto ko kahit available pa siya sa sm city that time na malapit naman sa amin. di ko na kailangan sabihin kung sino ang mga iyon but the receiver that i bought that time is h/k.....ayos ba sa clue? hehehehe ;D

Offline AudioAmp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: Mar 30, 2004 at 04:02 PM »
Might not be in-line but where do you think is the best location for an audio store?  Mall? Stand alone? House? he he he...

I think there are three clusters here in Manila - Park Square, Shang and Megamall - right?

Offline redmagic

• Collector
  • magic who?
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: Mar 31, 2004 at 01:41 PM »
Might not be in-line but where do you think is the best location for an audio store?  Mall? Stand alone? House? he he he...

I think there are three clusters here in Manila - Park Square, Shang and Megamall - right?

hmmmm... planning to put one sir?  :)
"I already gave my best, and thus I have no regrets at all" whoa!

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #345 on: Mar 31, 2004 at 07:35 PM »

Baka puede kang magtayo dito sa Paranaque area, nawala na yung Audio Den sa Sucat.  You can be sure of at least one customer - me.  ;D

Offline AudioAmp

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re: Your Thoughts on Philippine Audio Stores?
« Reply #346 on: May 04, 2004 at 12:46 PM »
Not me specifically but some friends...  i might invest a little - little lang he he he...  Just helping them research since i am the one with unlimited net access.

I started a new thread para more focus since my post here is off topic eh.  nakakahiya naman.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #347 on: May 11, 2004 at 12:57 PM »
Recently visited MONTAGE at Greenbelt 4.  My first time.  WOW.  They have the objects of my passionate hobbies in one roof - rare CDs/SACDs/DVD-As and 1/18 Die-cast Model Cars from Autoart.  (Gold/jewelry is another but I didn't find their selection interesting.)  They have a very engrossing bunch of disc collection.  According to them, they and Fully Booked at Powerplant are from the same owner.  No wonder.  A bit snobbish at the start but once they realize you are buying, they get more accommodating. 

I was wanting to splurge on CDs/SACDs/DVD-As.  I ended up with only 2.  The Autoart collection was simply too irresistible to overlook.   ;D  Back to my Lotto bets.

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #348 on: May 12, 2004 at 10:16 AM »
Compared with US or Japan audiophile shops? Filipino shops are generally mean, maraming tamad mag-demo or sisiguruhin muna na bibili ka para i-hook yung pinakamagandang units nila. Never experienced that in my overseas trips, except in HK. Mas mabait tayo sa mga taga Hong Kong.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #349 on: May 12, 2004 at 02:23 PM »
I agree,  HK and Taiwan have the rudest salesguys in my trips overseas, definitely worse than Pinoys.

I think those marketing gurus peddling their "Customer is King" philosophies should conduct more seminars here, as well as in HK and Taiwan. 

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #350 on: Jul 20, 2004 at 09:32 PM »
I agree,  HK and Taiwan have the rudest salesguys in my trips overseas, definitely worse than Pinoys.

I think those marketing gurus peddling their "Customer is King" philosophies should conduct more seminars here, as well as in HK and Taiwan. 

agree agree ....

they're definitely worse than Pinoys ..... and they seem to reserve their worst behavior for Pinoys !

it's a known fact i guess and that's why the HK government has actually embarked on an ad campaign < led by Jacky Chan no less > to encourage HK sales people to be COURTEOUS ...

BTW ... does anyone know how much should be the legal IMPORT TAXES and DUTIES for Audio Equipment that are hand-carried to Manila from abroad ? ... anyone had experience bringing obvious , bulky , heavy stuff through Manila Customs ?

thanks in advance

Offline AudioAmp

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #351 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 01:14 PM »
I think the import tax is 10% VAT + 15% for amps and 5% for speakers (total 20-25% of value).   However, it will be a debate between you and the custom official as to what is the real value of your gear.  That is the difficult part because even if you are honest to declare the full amount they will always claim that you undervalued.

You also have to keep in mind the excess weight fee that you have to pay to the airline if you are bringing home HEAVY stuff.

Hope i was able to help. 

Offline james16

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • passion that touches the soul...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #352 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 03:46 PM »
Architectural audio, the best!!!!  ;D

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #353 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 03:51 PM »
di na ba sila tumatanggap ng "envelope"? hehehe

I think the import tax is 10% VAT + 15% for amps and 5% for speakers (total 20-25% of value).   However, it will be a debate between you and the custom official as to what is the real value of your gear.  That is the difficult part because even if you are honest to declare the full amount they will always claim that you undervalued.

You also have to keep in mind the excess weight fee that you have to pay to the airline if you are bringing home HEAVY stuff.

Hope i was able to help. 

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 06:57 PM »
Architectural audio, the best!!!!  ;D

i agree, Archi Audio is among the very few that know how to handle customers. btw import tax on audio gears depends a lot on Customs people you'll encounter. they could even collect 50% of the brand new price of your unit even if it was already used. there are some who know audio very well and very familiar with the price of your unit even without consulting their kodigo. some would even claim your unit is a "luxury item" which could mean 100% tax - of course they'll give in when you haggle. the best way to bring in one or two piece of electronics, wag lang big speakers, is to put them inside a Balikbayan box. they're not strict on those boxes and even if they see your stuff inside, basta one or two units lang, and no boxes, plastic bags and manuals, or trace that they're new, okay na 'yun. especially kung may "pasalubong" ka para sa kanila.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 07:28 PM »
thanks for the tips ....

and i agree .... architectural audio is the best audio store I have come across so far ...  let's support them so they can build a better auditioning room :)

Offline positive_noise

• Collector
  • The Science of ~~AUDIO~~
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 08:45 PM »
spectra is also ok. ;)

enjoy!
positive-noise. ;D

Offline AudioAmp

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 10:03 AM »
Customs will accept envelope...  the thing is you never know if they want a small or big one hehehe.  its a risk lang.  Sometimes they do not even check and let you out for free. 

Another consideration though is breakage.  Better pack the stuff well sayang pag masira.  Plus there is no warranty if you purchase abroad :)

Offline groucho

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 08:41 PM »
Pasensiya na kayo kung ignorante ako......

Buhay pa ba 'yung Ceratec?  Was looking for it but could not find it.  But then again, I had not been to MegaMall in ages.

Offline Blade

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #359 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 10:02 PM »
thanks for the tips ....

and i agree .... architectural audio is the best audio store I have come across so far ...  let's support them so they can build a better auditioning room :)

i think they're building one na...
baka magkita-kita na tayo sa may gbelt area...hehehe...