Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2015  (Read 121136 times)

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2014
« Reply #210 on: Aug 12, 2014 at 11:07 AM »
I've heard it said more than once na mas magaling pa daw di Thirdy kesa kay Kiefer.

But I can't see it.

I've watched Kiefer in the juniors and I've watched Thirdy since they were both in the juniors team but I can't see it.

Sana mali ako at maging mamaw din tong si Thirdy ;D Hehe.

Really?  Baka naman sa PS4 talo si Kiefer.  Hahaha. Just kidding. 

Kiefer's act is hard to top.

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #211 on: Aug 12, 2014 at 11:46 AM »
Well, it's possible na mas magaling si Juniors si Thirdy, and mas magaling sa seniors si Kiefer.

Sa DLSU, ang backup center ni Dickie Bachmann eh si Jun Limpot :)

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #212 on: Aug 12, 2014 at 01:44 PM »
Well, it's possible na mas magaling si Juniors si Thirdy, and mas magaling sa seniors si Kiefer.

Sa DLSU, ang backup center ni Dickie Bachmann eh si Jun Limpot :)

Thirdy is just a rookie and will develop into a much better player in the years to come.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #213 on: Aug 12, 2014 at 02:10 PM »
Thirdy is just a rookie and will develop into a much better player in the years to come.

but kiefer and jeron were already good during freshman year nila.. mahirap lng siguro  kay thirdy pareho nya yata ng position ung newsome, kaya hirap din sa playing time.. siguro 15-20 mins lng same dun sa rookie from dlsu..
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2014 at 02:12 PM by puffalan84 »
The Pats way...

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #214 on: Aug 12, 2014 at 02:15 PM »
sayang si SUPER SUMANG....idol hehe...

RAVENA - ok sa UAAP sana ok din sa PBA....baka medyo mahirapan lang due to size.

TENG of DLSU...hindi talaga ako mapabilib ewan ko..siguro not my type of player.. good upper body , malakas katawan... siguro type ko ung mga mabibilis at slasher maglaro
Love me or hate me.....

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #215 on: Aug 12, 2014 at 03:32 PM »
I've always pegged Kiefer Ravena as a Paulo Mendoza 2.0 when he reaches the PBA.

Like Don Paolo, he can be dominant at the colleagiate game but might be average in the pros, due to his lack of size and speed ...... the PBA is a different beast altogether - guards and forwards are much bigger, faster, stronger and physical.

The good things about Ravena - he's a natural scorer, great handle for the ball and seems to be a willing passer.

Heck, if guards who cant make their own shot (e.g. Fonacier) thrived in the pros, when put in a great system ....... Kiefer might just live up to his monicker, when placed on the right team.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: Aug 12, 2014 at 05:00 PM »
I've always pegged Kiefer Ravena as a Paulo Mendoza 2.0 when he reaches the PBA.

Like Don Paolo, he can be dominant at the colleagiate game but might be average in the pros, due to his lack of size and speed ...... the PBA is a different beast altogether - guards and forwards are much bigger, faster, stronger and physical.

The good things about Ravena - he's a natural scorer, great handle for the ball and seems to be a willing passer.

Heck, if guards who cant make their own shot (e.g. Fonacier) thrived in the pros, when put in a great system ....... Kiefer might just live up to his monicker, when placed on the right team.

Why compare Keifer to former Maroon Paolo Mendoza?
Paolo Mendoza is just a shooter and didnt have the athleticism of Kiefer who can attack the basket aside from having a decent outside shot.

Keifer will make it big in the PBA.
He can play the guard position like a Jimmy Alapag or Jason Castro and becoz of the evolution of basketball nowadays which is more suitable for high scoring guards rather than post players, Kiefer will definitely excel.
In fact, I want to see Kiefer playing for Gilas and polish his game more in high level international competitions.

Another guard who I'm sure will also make it big in the PBA is Roy Sumang.
Now who is better?
Keifer or Sumang? Given a chance who between the 2 will you draft first in line?
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2014 at 05:08 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Aug 12, 2014 at 05:50 PM »
Paolo Mendoza was a scoring machine during his UAAP days - hoisting long shots and attacking the basket. Yup, attacking the basket.

Mendoza was the top overall pick when he entered the PBA draft ....... speaks volumes on how legitimate he was, when he was drafted first overall.

However, he was forced to change his game since the PBA had the taller, stronger and quicker guards. He didn't find the same success in the pros.

I'd like nothing more than for a hardworking player like Ravena, to make it big in the PBA ...... like I said, he is a natural scorer and these types find a way.

Roy Sumang ....... not to underestimate him, I dont think he'll make it big in the pros. He'll make a decent rotation guy, on a right team.

Similar to Sumang, many bought in to the Ryan Buenafe hype entering the PBA - I stood by my claim that he wont make it big as he is literally big ...... Buenafe hardly played and was recently in the PBA dispersal draft.

Online Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #218 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 04:22 AM »
Speculating on who makes it in the pros will always be an engaging discussion. :)

There is a bit of luck involved (fitting into a system, injuries) and it doesn't necessarily follow a specific formula.  For instance, there have been countless draft lottery picks and rookie of the year awardees who have not been able to capitalize on this award (Rich Alvarez, for one).  There have also been players who were almost not drafted, had so-so rookie, soph and junior seasons, only to come out as late bloomers (Jeff Chan, Larry Fonacier, another example would be the late 80's Ginebra stars Gonzalgo and Distrito).

As for Paolo Mendoza, he didn't have a bad career.  He didn't score 40+ points like he did in the UAAP but he did have flashes of brilliance when he was with Sta. Lucia and was part of the starting five for years.  Even in his rookie year, Mendoza was already a starter. Honestly, Ravena would be lucky to have a career as long as Mendoza's. :)

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 07:11 AM »
Well their careers will also depend on which team draft them like Kiefer who most likely will end up with TNT and so as Jeron Teng with the San Miguel Group of teams.
To make it in the PBA, the importance is residency and exposure plus of course if they can stay out of injury. Their talents will be wasted if they'll be traded like a ping pong ball from teams to teams specially to those farm teams like Global Port and Air 21.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline heisenbergman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind, rewind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 09:48 AM »
May 2nd round schedule na ba?

Are there games today?

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #221 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 10:51 AM »
For the men's division, none yet...for the women's division, already posted at spin.ph

Although tentatively, the DLSU vs. ADMU game shall be on August 23 at MOA
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM »
Speculating on who makes it in the pros will always be an engaging discussion. :)

There is a bit of luck involved (fitting into a system, injuries) and it doesn't necessarily follow a specific formula.  For instance, there have been countless draft lottery picks and rookie of the year awardees who have not been able to capitalize on this award (Rich Alvarez, for one).  There have also been players who were almost not drafted, had so-so rookie, soph and junior seasons, only to come out as late bloomers (Jeff Chan, Larry Fonacier, another example would be the late 80's Ginebra stars Gonzalgo and Distrito).

As for Paolo Mendoza, he didn't have a bad career.  He didn't score 40+ points like he did in the UAAP but he did have flashes of brilliance when he was with Sta. Lucia and was part of the starting five for years.  Even in his rookie year, Mendoza was already a starter. Honestly, Ravena would be lucky to have a career as long as Mendoza's. :)

Exactly ..... Paolo Mendoza had a decent PBA career, something which Ravena can strive for and very possibly improve upon.

I had used Paolo Mendoza as a possible ceiling for Kiefer, since I see similarities on their abilities and possible limitations when turning pro ....... Paolo and his older brother were childhood friends of mine and add the fact that I some close ties with then SLR team in the PBA - I was able to follow Paolo's game.

As for Rich Alvarez, not to brag, but more than a few (including myself), saw then that he had some ability but was a bit on the overhyped side entering the pros ..... I wasn't surprised that he flamed out early in his PBA career. Alvarez had a very shaky, high-arching jumper, he can only go right and was over-powered by stronger bigs in the PBA.

Heard news that he's trying out for 2 PBA expansion teams (BLACKWATER and KIA) ...... good for him if he ever does make it back to the PBA.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2014 at 12:53 PM by newwaveboy »

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #223 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 01:22 PM »
For me, the player who was stellar in UAAP, but was mediocre in the PBA was Gilbert "Jun" Reyes.  He was hoisting half court game winners in the UAAP, but had difficulty in the pros.  Similar case is Richie Ticzon.

Opposite is another Blue Eagle, Olcen Ra-ra Racela.  He blossomed in the PBA and was heralded best point guard in the PBA at one point of his career.

Offline heisenbergman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 03:33 PM »
May games pala ngayon! Yung mga nacancel dahil sa Glenda :D

UE 37 - UST 21 6:17 3Q

Offline puffalan84

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 03:45 PM »
what's wrong with UST.. with mariano and ferrer, I really thought they're going to be one of the best this year, mukhang mag struggle pa sila to reach f4..
The Pats way...

Offline heisenbergman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 03:50 PM »
UE 54 - UST 28 2:05 3Q

Offline heisenbergman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 04:07 PM »
hala ayan nanaman UE bumibigay.

UE 60 - UST 45

Online Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 04:14 PM »
what's wrong with UST.. with mariano and ferrer, I really thought they're going to be one of the best this year, mukhang mag struggle pa sila to reach f4..

It seems Pido's resignation hit them hard.  I expect them to rebound in the second round, though, and finish the season strong.

Offline heisenbergman

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 04:26 PM »
UE hangs on to win 72-62.

Grabe 20 point lead yan with 2 minutes to go.

Kailangan talagang paghusayan ng UE mag-closeout ng games.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 08:13 PM »
For me, the player who was stellar in UAAP, but was mediocre in the PBA was Gilbert "Jun" Reyes.  He was hoisting half court game winners in the UAAP, but had difficulty in the pros.  Similar case is Richie Ticzon.

Opposite is another Blue Eagle, Olcen Ra-ra Racela.  He blossomed in the PBA and was heralded best point guard in the PBA at one point of his career.

Racela was lucky to be the main point guard for San Miguel for years.
He simply fitted the Ron Jacobs system of the team ran by Uichico and Tanquiencen.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Online Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Aug 13, 2014 at 08:52 PM »
Racela was lucky to be the main point guard for San Miguel for years.
He simply fitted the Ron Jacobs system of the team ran by Uichico and Tanquiencen.

He wasn't flashy or cat-quick like most PG's but he was unselfish, consistent, not prone to errors and had good fitness; a pure point guard.  He worked on his 3-point shooting a lot during the Ron Jacobs years, too. 

By the late 90's he was almost equal in reputation to the great Johnny A.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Aug 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM »
^ In the NCAA, Eugene Quilban comes to mind.

Played for the Stags from 1986 to 1989

– Led SSC-R Stags to 2 straight Championships
– 2 time MVP (1987-1988)
– Led SSC-R Stags to the first perfect record in NCAA history in 1988

Eugene Quilban??! Just like in UAAP (remember Jun Reyes of ADMU?), NCAA also had a dominating player who after college became an unknown in the basketball world but looking at Quilban’s stats and you’ll see how dominant Eugene is. Another Stags great, Eugene was the main key why the Stags broke the streak of Letran in the mid 80’s. The great point guard played an all-around game that made him so dominant that led his team to 2 straight Championships.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM by mattia »

Offline puffalan84

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Aug 14, 2014 at 11:41 AM »
players i remember are ruben delarosa of mapua and sizzling tanigue of baste.. they were great during amateur but not in pro..
The Pats way...

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Aug 14, 2014 at 05:18 PM »
^ In the NCAA, Eugene Quilban comes to mind.

Played for the Stags from 1986 to 1989

– Led SSC-R Stags to 2 straight Championships
– 2 time MVP (1987-1988)
– Led SSC-R Stags to the first perfect record in NCAA history in 1988

Eugene Quilban??! Just like in UAAP (remember Jun Reyes of ADMU?), NCAA also had a dominating player who after college became an unknown in the basketball world but looking at Quilban’s stats and you’ll see how dominant Eugene is. Another Stags great, Eugene was the main key why the Stags broke the streak of Letran in the mid 80’s. The great point guard played an all-around game that made him so dominant that led his team to 2 straight Championships.

If I can remember correctly, his life in the NCAA court was easy becoz of Paul Alvarez.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Aug 14, 2014 at 06:17 PM »
If I can remember correctly, his life in the NCAA court was easy becoz of Paul Alvarez.

In a way yes but Paul never became MVP in the NCAA.  And Eugene had more impact than Paul.  When they got to the PBA, it was the other way around.  Paul Alvarez had an enormous impact with his electrifying dunks and high flying acts never seen before that earned him the monicker "Mr Excitement".  Sadly, Quilban was a nobody in the PBA.

Offline puffalan84

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Aug 14, 2014 at 08:47 PM »
In a way yes but Paul never became MVP in the NCAA.  And Eugene had more impact than Paul.  When they got to the PBA, it was the other way around.  Paul Alvarez had an enormous impact with his electrifying dunks and high flying acts never seen before that earned him the monicker "Mr Excitement".  Sadly, Quilban was a nobody in the PBA.

I remember quilban and dindo pumaren teamed up to guard johnny a, as in sabay sila sa court.. they had success for a while..
The Pats way...

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: Aug 14, 2014 at 10:13 PM »
Eugene Quilban didnt enjoy the same success that he had in the amateurs, but he wasn't a nobody in rhe PBA.

Quilban's first few years in the PBA, were acutally very decent  ...... unforunate that Tim Cone's system didn't need scoring PG's.

Like I said, the PBA is a very tough league - pros are much stronger, faster, taller and a lot more physical.

The PBA has around 8-10 teams for most if its existence ....... at most, that's just about 150 roster spots and the veterans aren't going to yield their spots easily.

Kung hanggang ngayon nga naglalaro pa din sina Helterbrand, Alapag, Raymundo, Belasco, Menk, Pena, Ildefonso, Taulava, Laure, Arboleda, etc ..... deserving (ex. Taulava) or not (ex. Helterbrand), these vets will still get minutes for many reasons.

Kaya kapag marginal collegiate talent ka lang or you dont adjust and change your game accordingly, the PBA is a tough league to crack ..... being a superstar in the collegiate ranks is far from being a guarantee for PBA minutes.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #238 on: Aug 15, 2014 at 07:31 AM »
Read that the next DLSU-ADMU game will be this Sunday, after a last-second change in the second round schedule. Anybody have inside info on what happened here? Mukang dehado DLSU with all their injuries. They were supposed to just face UP first.
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2014 at 07:32 AM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #239 on: Aug 15, 2014 at 08:27 AM »
Ravena is leading the MVP race.... 80 statistical points...
Love me or hate me.....