Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2015  (Read 121157 times)

Offline frontANDcenter

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • @dandarWIN
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2014
« Reply #720 on: Oct 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM »
I'm from UST and unlike most schools, I understand we don't have the same kind of budget that can compete against the likes of NU, Ateneo, La Salle, even FEU and UE.. We can't guarantee a PBA draft for students, heck we're not even affiliated with any D-League team to keep the players together during the summer.

Every player who either moved or stayed with UST are considered blessings. From K-Fer, Jervy (courtesy of Coach Acot) to Jeric (thanks to that Teng-Pumaren rift in RP Youth). Btw, Abdul wanted out before the season started because he realized he can get more money for his performance from other schools.

I really wanted to hate the idea of schools paying students and their families TOP MONEY just to land the talent (especially when you're comparing NCAA's regulations in the states) but when you start to assess the situation, given the risks involved in playing basketball, it's acceptable to know that the students are the ones who are truly benefiting from it. Of course, the boosters will find ways to get their money back but we keep forgetting that a huge fraction of these kids dedicated their lives to the game and a vast majority of them won't make it to the pros. It's nice to equip them with the money now and more importantly, the education to prepare them to whatever comes next.

It's just sad because I know we can come up with the budget that can compete with today's glamour schools, but I just don't see UST allowing it. It took NU 60 years to win another title and if our school would still refuse to bend to today's "semi-pro league" trend, I just hope they overhaul our basketball program (coaching staff), putting a higher premium in player development, teaching them how to REALLY play basketball.. (kami lang yata may players na habang tumatagal, humihina.. Even UST graduates in the pros can't play D because of poor basketball foundations). Build off of that along with UST's education, budget and rich basketball tradition to attract talent.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2014 at 01:10 PM by frontANDcenter »

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: Re: NCAA / UAAP 2014
« Reply #721 on: Oct 17, 2014 at 01:04 PM »
Yes, but that's SMB for you.  Ilan ba teams nila  sa PBA?  4?  Internal arrangement na yan.  Parang si Pacquiao. Nasa draft pero sa Kia pa rin ang bagsak.  Although si Yeng Guaio muntik i draft (kuno) sa ROS.  Hahaha.

Do you really think the other teams would waste their first round draft pick on Pacquiao? No need for internal arrangement.

I'm sure kahit si Glenn Capacio nanghinayang.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2014 at 01:09 PM by SiCkBoY »

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #722 on: Oct 17, 2014 at 04:09 PM »
Iba naman yun case ni Pacquiao.  Would you really waste a draft pick on him?   ;D

Oo nga naman. 

By the way, I think Pacman will land in Guinness soon.  Professional Boxer, professional basketball player, professional coach and lawmaker.  Beat that. 

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #723 on: Oct 17, 2014 at 04:59 PM »
I'm from UST and unlike most schools, I understand we don't have the same kind of budget that can compete against the likes of NU, Ateneo, La Salle, even FEU and UE.. We can't guarantee a PBA draft for students, heck we're not even affiliated with any D-League team to keep the players together during the summer.

Every player who either moved or stayed with UST are considered blessings. From K-Fer, Jervy (courtesy of Coach Acot) to Jeric (thanks to that Teng-Pumaren rift in RP Youth). Btw, Abdul wanted out before the season started because he realized he can get more money for his performance from other schools.

I really wanted to hate the idea of schools paying students and their families TOP MONEY just to land the talent (especially when you're comparing NCAA's regulations in the states) but when you start to assess the situation, given the risks involved in playing basketball, it's acceptable to know that the students are the ones who are truly benefiting from it. Of course, the boosters will find ways to get their money back but we keep forgetting that a huge fraction of these kids dedicated their lives to the game and a vast majority of them won't make it to the pros. It's nice to equip them with the money now and more importantly, the education to prepare them to whatever comes next.

It's just sad because I know we can come up with the budget that can compete with today's glamour schools, but I just don't see UST allowing it. It took NU 60 years to win another title and if our school would still refuse to bend to today's "semi-pro league" trend, I just hope they overhaul our basketball program (coaching staff), putting a higher premium in player development, teaching them how to REALLY play basketball.. (kami lang yata may players na habang tumatagal, humihina.. Even UST graduates in the pros can't play D because of poor basketball foundations). Build off of that along with UST's education, budget and rich basketball tradition to attract talent.

i don't know about you but i'd rather UST stay that way than win championships because of money. if it's legal then it's ok but since it is not then it's better to have your integrity.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2014 at 04:59 PM by leomarley »

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #724 on: Oct 17, 2014 at 05:55 PM »
Oo nga naman. 

By the way, I think Pacman will land in Guinness soon.  Professional Boxer, professional basketball player, professional coach and lawmaker.  Beat that. 

And maybe President in the future?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #725 on: Oct 17, 2014 at 06:20 PM »
i don't know about you but i'd rather UST stay that way than win championships because of money. if it's legal then it's ok but since it is not then it's better to have your integrity.

+ 1TB ...... it's a dying art, but much better to have your integrity than win by unethical means.

At one point, UST has won 14 straight overall UAAP championships, yet not much hoopla ...... no boosters and no patrons.

On a recent GATORADE shoot featuring past and current UAAP hoops stars, UST's Kevin Ferrer and past star Cyrus Baguio lamented on how things stayed the same way with the Tigers - players come from UST HS, tryouts, walk-ins and some provincial recruitment.

Ang malungkot dito, schools are supossed to be the vanguards of truth and equality - that's what we teach our students right ...... yet, some schools dont practice what they preach.

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #726 on: Oct 17, 2014 at 08:37 PM »
naalala ko nga nung time ko sa UST (circa 2000-2005) papasok ako noon, nakita ko si Derick Hubalde nag-aabang ng jeep sa may Masinag tapos nung may huminto sumabit lang siya. wala siyang sasakyan.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #727 on: Oct 17, 2014 at 09:30 PM »
Extremely doubtful ...... the US NCAA has very strict rules regarding recruitment. Magbigay lang nang libreng jacket ang ilang boosters, grounds na for investigation at pwede nang ma-suspindede ang university.

Samantalang dito sa Pinas, garapalan ang pagbigay nang kwarta sa recruit at sa kanyang mga kamag-anak ...... Pero bale wala lang. Kultura kasi nang lamangan.

@mattia ...... Bro, you forgot to include that daddy Alvin Teng was given a coaching slot in Danding's ABL team. Bawal at illegal ito sa ibang bansa ..... pero dito sa atin, illegal or unethical - ano daw yun? Hehe.

i mean may nag offer kaya kay kobe paras ng lucrative offer dito sa pilipinas to play for their school?
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #728 on: Oct 17, 2014 at 09:45 PM »

even if its legal i wouldnt resort to this, its like corrupting the mind of the young, dumb as it may sound, I would alwasy want to inculcate to the mind of an athlete the value of hardwork, good education, resepct to others, being a star player is a mere bonus. off course we all want a greener pasture but let it happen after the athlete completes his college education, if he is really that good then he gets the chance for big bucks when he turns pro.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #729 on: Oct 18, 2014 at 10:18 AM »
i mean may nag offer kaya kay kobe paras ng lucrative offer dito sa pilipinas to play for their school?

Meron siyempre brader ....... the one and only.

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/kobe-paras-move-to-us-has-blessings-of-la-salle-backer-cojuangco-says-dad-benjie-v02

" As of now syempre, priority pa rin niya yun (commitment with La Salle). Syempre si Boss Danding naman kasi yung nagpapa-aral sa kanila sa high school … silang magkapatid (ni Andre), syempre, priority pa rin namin ang La Salle. " - Benjie Paras

Kita mo na, High School pa lang alaga na ni Danding ang player ...... illegal ang ganito sa ibang bansa. Tsk tsk tsk.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #730 on: Oct 18, 2014 at 04:47 PM »
Meron siyempre brader ....... the one and only.

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/kobe-paras-move-to-us-has-blessings-of-la-salle-backer-cojuangco-says-dad-benjie-v02

" As of now syempre, priority pa rin niya yun (commitment with La Salle). Syempre si Boss Danding naman kasi yung nagpapa-aral sa kanila sa high school … silang magkapatid (ni Andre), syempre, priority pa rin namin ang La Salle. " - Benjie Paras

Kita mo na, High School pa lang alaga na ni Danding ang player ...... illegal ang ganito sa ibang bansa. Tsk tsk tsk.

Lumalapit ang graysa so sino naman ang tatanggi when Benjie knows he and his sons are in good hands under the sponsorships donated or should I say it better "OFFERED" by BIG Boss Danding.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #731 on: Oct 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM »
Hindi naman illegal dito. And no reason for it to be illegal for now.

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #732 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 12:15 AM »

Yup.  Kobe was supposed to play for DLSU.  But dad Benjie opted for an international experience.  If he makes it good there, there's a brighter future for that kid.  Maybe the first ever pinoy to play in the NBA?

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #733 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 01:01 AM »
Hindi naman illegal dito. And no reason for it to be illegal for now.

Every reason to make it illegal, because it's extremely unethical and unfair.

It's not illegal now, simply because there are no clear-cut defined rules ..... it's funny, most of the general guidelines and rules that the UAAP and NCAA leagues follow were patterned after the US NCAA - except, for the very strict rules on recruitment.   ;)

Methinks, it was all gentlemen agreements for the longest time (exactly like the PBA) ...... everything changed when alumni groups got more powerful and vocal ex. DLSU alumni group clamor in the 90's ousting Villavicencio which started their heavy Filam "recruitment".

Things went totally bad when some schools accepted cronies and tycoons, giving them the title of Patron.

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #734 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 02:20 AM »
Every reason to make it illegal, because it's extremely unethical and unfair.

Unfair to whom exactly?

It's not illegal now, simply because there are no clear-cut defined rules ..... it's funny, most of the general guidelines and rules that the UAAP and NCAA leagues follow were patterned after the US NCAA - except, for the very strict rules on recruitment.   ;)

Methinks, it was all gentlemen agreements for the longest time (exactly like the PBA) ...... everything changed when alumni groups got more powerful and vocal ex. DLSU alumni group clamor in the 90's ousting Villavicencio which started their heavy Filam "recruitment".

Things went totally bad when some schools accepted cronies and tycoons, giving them the title of Patron.

So what's wrong with that? The alumni has a vested interest in their school's sports programs.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2014 at 02:28 AM by SiCkBoY »

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #735 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 06:33 AM »
Unfair to everyone else brader.

If this was a professional league wherein players have the leverage of unrestricted free-agency - money will play a part on ones choice of team.

But the UAAP and NCAA are collegiate leagues. We always hear and use the term student-athletes ..... meaning student first, athlete second.

That would hardly be the case if a businessman, instead of say, a faculty member, would be doing the recruiting right?

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #736 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 06:39 AM »
Actually kaya nga nagsisikap ang mga young players now is becoz of that dream to be recognized and be paid big in the future so absolutely nothing wrong with this sponsorships from the tycoons to represent their schools and perhaps their companies.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #737 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 06:46 AM »
Actually kaya nga nagsisikap ang mga young players now is becoz of that dream to be recognized and be paid big in the future so absolutely nothing wrong with this sponsorships from the tycoons to represent their schools and perhaps their companies.

I wouldn't exactly say there's nothing wrong.  Maybe it's legal.  Parang at an early age, these kids are sort of selling themselves to the highest bidder.  Then the recruits are technically enrolled in the school but never really attend classes.  Still they get their diplomas.  There is certainly something inherently wrong with that. 
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2014 at 07:21 AM by DVD_Freak »

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #738 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 07:31 AM »

Unfair to everyone else brader.

Are you referring to the other schools? Well, I don't really think so. Assuming that all the UAAP schools offer a scholarship to Kobe Paras, the likes of FEU and Adamson would not be chosen anyway.

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #739 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 07:35 AM »
I wouldn't exactly say there's nothing wrong.  Maybe it's legal.  Parang at an early age, these kids are sort of selling themselves to the highest bidder.  Then the recruits are technically enrolled in the school but never really attend classes.  Still they get their diplomas.  There is certainly something inherently wrong with that.
That's not true for everyone. Nasa student na yun kung papasok sila o hindi.

Some of the players were classmates of mine in certain subjects. Dino Aldueger and Don Allado for instance, are absent half the time and even when they do show up for class, they are usually clueless. Ritualo, on the other hand, tries his best to attend all his classes, naka double major pa. And he asks the class as to who would be willing to tutor him, since he doesn't really have a lot of time.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #740 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 07:41 AM »
That's not true for everyone. Nasa student na yun kung papasok sila o hindi.

That's just it.  Optional sa kanila yun papasok while the rest...required.

Some of the players were classmates of mine in certain subjects. Dino Aldueger and Don Allado for instance, are absent half the time and even when they do show up for class, they are usually clueless. Ritualo, on the other hand, tries his best to attend all his classes, naka double major pa. And he asks the class as to who would be willing to tutor him, since he doesn't really have a lot of time.

But it only takes a few taking advantage of that "privilege" to make it true di ba?  Dino Aldeguer and Don Allado have already proven the pitfalls of such.  So it just proves there really is something inherently wrong with it.  But it's legal.  Ritualo might just be more of the exception than the rule.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2014 at 07:45 AM by DVD_Freak »

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Re: Re: NCAA / UAAP 2014
« Reply #741 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 07:49 AM »
But it only takes a few taking advantage of that "privilege" to make it true di ba?  Dino Aldeguer and Don Allado have already proven the pitfalls of such.  So it just proves there really is something inherently wrong with it.  But it's legal.  Ritualo might just be more of the exception than the rule.
Again, that's not always true. Do they fail subjects? The answer is yes. Actually, what I noticed is, DLSU does not have a say in this.

Some professors rightfully fail them because they deserve to fail, some professors don't.

One professor said to the class, "they already have their careers in front of them. Why would I want to ruin it?" Do I agree with him? Maybe. Maybe not.

As to selling oneself to the highest bidder, that's true whether one is shopping for a school or looking for a job. That's life.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #742 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 07:58 AM »
Again, that's not always true. Do they fail subjects? The answer is yes. Actually, what I noticed is, DLSU does not have a say in this.

Some professors rightfully fail them because they deserve to fail, some professors don't.

One professor said to the class, "they already have their careers in front of them. Why would I want to ruin it?" Do I agree with him? Maybe. Maybe not.

As to selling oneself to the highest bidder, that's true whether one is shopping for a school or looking for a job. That's life.

So I gather they didn't graduate/get their diplomas? 

That is still my point.  Some professors rightfully fail them... some don't  If they deserve it, dapat professors fail them.  Hindi some don't.  So some wrongfully pass them.  Mali yun analogy yata yun shopping for a school and looking for a job.  You are not really looking for remuneration or compensation when "choosing" for a school right?  Yun job naman talaga your main objective is to get paid.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #743 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 08:06 AM »

Indeed, money plays a big part when one looks for work or some other similar things.

However, the money placed in your pocket or account, should not play a part when a student chooses a school ....... simply put, it's completely unethical and should be illegal as well.

Heck, we patterned our local collegiate leagues from the US NCAA, wherein such an act (directly pay and benefits to would be recruits and their dependents) is illegal ...... why not make it illegal now.

How about elections ...... voters giving their votes to the highest bidder - do we dismiss this and just say that's life.

Indeed it's happening and its the sad reality - but everyone who doesn't sell their find vote-selling & vote-buying, find it unethical and illegal right?

« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2014 at 08:07 AM by newwaveboy »

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #744 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 08:09 AM »
Vote-buying is not the appropriate analogy. It is illegal and immoral per se.

However, in elections, the candidates also sell themselves to the public. That's what I was referring to.  In many situations in life, you sell yourself.

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #745 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 08:12 AM »

That's just it.  Optional sa kanila yun papasok while the rest...required.

No. This is college ha, not high school. No one is required to come to class. If you can just show up during midterms and finals and be able to pass your exams, you'll pass the course.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #746 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 08:15 AM »

No. This is college ha, not high school. No one is required to come to class. If you can just show up during midterms and finals and be able to pass your exams, you'll pass the course.

So you can actually not attend class at all basta show up and pass the exams?  Di ba may minimum number of absences lang?

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Re: Re: Re: NCAA / UAAP 2014
« Reply #747 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 08:16 AM »

So I gather they didn't graduate/get their diplomas? 

One professor said to the class, "We professors cannot prevent you from graduating. We can only delay."

That is still my point.  Some professors rightfully fail them... some don't  If they deserve it, dapat professors fail them.  Hindi some don't.  So some wrongfully pass them.

It depends on the personal stand of the professor in that matter. That has nothing to do with the school, based on what I've seen.

Mali yun analogy yata yun shopping for a school and looking for a job.  You are not really looking for remuneration or compensation when "choosing" for a school right?  Yun job naman talaga your main objective is to get paid.

May compensation/renumeration pa rin, just not in monetary form but in the form of quality education.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #748 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 08:16 AM »
Vote-buying is not the appropriate analogy. It is illegal and immoral per se.

However, in elections, the candidates also sell themselves to the public. That's what I was referring to.  In many situations in life, you sell yourself.

So brader, you find nothing wrong when say, Danding Cojuangco directly gives money to a HS player and his dependents, so as to influence the player to commit to play for the DLSU Seniors?
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2014 at 08:16 AM by newwaveboy »

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Re: Re: Re: NCAA / UAAP 2014
« Reply #749 on: Oct 19, 2014 at 08:18 AM »
So you can actually not attend class at all basta show up and pass the exams?  Di ba may minimum number of absences lang?
Nung college, wala akong maalala. They don't even check for attendance.