Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 271635 times)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #990 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 01:01 PM »
i just hope plasma is here to stay .. in that way us consumers still have a choice ..
ninjababez online ..

Offline jtabs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Panasonic Plasma vs Philips LCD?
« Reply #991 on: Nov 09, 2008 at 10:52 PM »
panasonic plasma and you'll never go wrong...

@simple mind - you post at DTO?
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2008 at 10:54 PM by jtabs »

Offline Full_JB

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #992 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 06:51 PM »
share ko lang po yung napanuod ko regarding plasma vs. lcd(kakatuwang panuorin)======
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPeb_CwJ9PM&feature=related

Offline coolgrain

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #993 on: Dec 04, 2008 at 08:50 AM »

Offline Niknok

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #994 on: Dec 04, 2008 at 10:16 AM »
i just want to share this site...
http://www.techradar.com/news/television/hdtv/the-ultimate-guide-to-buying-an-hd-tv-490618?artc_pg=1

wow nice read.  LCD TVs now with LED backlighting.  240million OLED TVs in 2013.

Offline tbone

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: Panasonic Plasma vs Philips LCD?
« Reply #995 on: Dec 13, 2008 at 09:45 PM »
Hi!
I need your guidance.
This afternoon I was at the appliance store comparing Panasonic's LCD and Plasma TVs. The sales guy was explaining to me that Plasma is better for us because it has higher contrast ratio, faster response time and therefore, since our cable source is still analog (Destiny Cable), it would mean better viewing quality. Is this true?
I see from this thread that there is a preference for plasma (budget aside). What are the other advantages of plasma over LCD? I only use my tv for watching videos and cable tv not games.
Thanks,
Ted

Offline young_Miklo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #996 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 12:21 PM »
guys the panasonic 42pv8 and pv80 has a native resolution of 1024 x 768, while most lcd's  has 1366 x 768. does the extra pixels of lcd's yield more detailed images?
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM by young_Miklo »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #997 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 05:34 PM »
guys the panasonic 42pv8 and pv80 has a native resolution of 1024 x 768, while most lcd's  has 1366 x 768. does the extra pixels of lcd's yield more detailed images?
not necessarily, think of it as your 17" CRT vs 17" lcd monitor. 
ninjababez online ..

Offline young_Miklo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #998 on: Jan 12, 2009 at 10:17 PM »
sir iv'e read that you're using an lg 32" plasma for ps3 gaming. its native reso is 852 x 480, not sure though somewhat in that range. less detailed ba yung visuals ng games?

and lastly, hindi ba 4:3 aspect ratio ang 1024 x 768? how come their display is 16:9?

Offline darkwing

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #999 on: Jan 13, 2009 at 06:01 AM »

check out a PV80 up close, i mean really close you can see dark vertical lines (in fact you can see a single pixel with some black space around it), that's why naka 16:9 ratio even though 1024 x 768 = 4:3, its the way the pixels are spaced out, although i doubt anyone would be watching a plasma that close hehe if you are asking me if those extra pixels help in more detailed images, i say it depends on how far you are sitting, i have the PV80H myself and a 32" LCD TV
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2009 at 06:01 AM by darkwing »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1000 on: Jan 13, 2009 at 07:33 AM »
sir iv'e read that you're using an lg 32" plasma for ps3 gaming. its native reso is 852 x 480, not sure though somewhat in that range. less detailed ba yung visuals ng games?
and lastly, hindi ba 4:3 aspect ratio ang 1024 x 768? how come their display is 16:9?
you really have to see it yourself bro. 
why not drop by theaterworks, and bring your ps3 game.  demo is free  :D
again, its like 1280x1024 lcd vs 1024x768 crt .. but with the crt display, (most of the time) you can always raise it to 1280x1024 without problems  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1001 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 01:50 AM »

If I recall correctly, 1024x768 plasmas use rectangular pixels.

Offline Geren

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1002 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 11:35 AM »
My personal experience on the Plasma v.s LCD.
I have a Panasonic 42 PV70 bought last year (Php 55,000). My cousin imported  a 42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD from Singapore (33,000 + shipping 15,000 = 49,000) last week. The LCD has a slightly higher resolution than the plasma.

I have to say big, big difference in terms of Picture Quality (Contrast, Skin Color, Black, Image Clarity). The plasma win hands down for me and my relatives.

With my plasma, the case of Burn-in is not an issue. How many users of the PV70 have complained or posted about permanent burned-in image?

Worst case of temporary Image retention lasted for about 5 -10 min. I fell asleep for several hours while the TV was on while having a static image on the screen. I had a scare when i woke up and  turned off the tv and there was the retained image on the screen.I immediately viewed moving images for 5 to 10 minutes until the image retention was gone. Today, Burn-in and/or image retention does not scare me anymore.

My son uses the plasma occasionally for xbox games and PC games. No problems so far. I enjoy watching him play because of the beautiful resolution on the TV.

No noticeable increase in electric consumption with an average TV viewing of 3-4 hours a day.

Going back to the issue on Picture Quality of the plasma as compared to the LCD. No contest on Cable viewing, DVD or High Definition viewing and games. Plasma wins by a mile. My relatives are now convinced that their next TV purchase will be a plasma.
You are infected by SARS!
Denial is a symptom of addiction.
Resistance is futile!!!

Offline young_Miklo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1003 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 11:49 AM »
that slightly higher resolution of the lcd that you mentioned, how can you spot its advantage over the lesser pixel count of a plasma?
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2009 at 02:10 PM by young_Miklo »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1004 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 12:09 PM »
If I recall correctly, 1024x768 plasmas use rectangular pixels.
i wont correct you cause youre right   ;)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Geren

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1005 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 01:38 PM »
that slightly highly resolution of the lcd that you mentioned, how can you spot its advantage over the lesser pixel count of a plasma?

Checking the box of the Sharp Aquos- Wide XGA = 1366 x 768, whereas the Pana is just 1024 x 768.
You are infected by SARS!
Denial is a symptom of addiction.
Resistance is futile!!!

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1006 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 01:50 PM »
that slightly highly resolution of the lcd that you mentioned, how can you spot its advantage over the lesser pixel count of a plasma?
honestly .. i cant .. 
just last night i have a 32Le8 and 42pv80 side by side .. ;)
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #1007 on: Jan 14, 2009 at 09:34 PM »
... how can you spot its advantage over the lesser pixel count of a plasma?

Get closer to the TV until the resolution advantage is visible.

According to the ISF (Imaging Science Foundation), the most important aspects of picture quality are:  1. contrast ratio, 2. color saturation, 3. color accuracy, and 4. resolution, in that order. 

Note that resolution is the least important, so a better resolution spec can be easily offset by better specs in the other 3 aspects of contrast ratio, color saturation, and color accuracy. 
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2009 at 09:45 PM by barrister »

Offline kelz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1008 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 08:35 AM »
tnx for the info barrister. since hd should be at least 1366x768, can we say that plasmas which has 1024x768 native as being edtv?

Offline blued888

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1009 on: Jan 15, 2009 at 10:36 PM »
tnx for the info barrister. since hd should be at least 1366x768, can we say that plasmas which has 1024x768 native as being edtv?

EDTV is 852x480 or 480p.

Offline raptor

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #1010 on: Feb 13, 2009 at 01:49 PM »
Plasma TVs on the Way Out; Still Best

Big news on plasma technology .... this could be the signs of the times -

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/plasma-tv-pioneer-vizio-panasonic,news-3478.html
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1011 on: Feb 15, 2009 at 11:58 PM »

No, a 1024 x 768 display resolution is HDTV. 

It is not EDTV, because EDTV is 480p.  As for 1024 x 768, I haven't found any authoritative definition that says it's not HD.

If so, then what is the minimum resolution for HD?

First, distinguish between source resolution (the video input signal's resolution) and display resolution (the panel's native resolution):

1.  Source Resolution:  Minimum HD resolution is 1280 x 720p.  This standard was issued by the ATSC (Advanced Television Systems Committee).

2.  Display Resolution:  Minimum HD resolution is 720 progressive scan lines.  This standard was issued by the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association).

According to the CEA:

"The Board defined minimum attribute resolution requirements that, until now, had not existed for High Definition televisions and monitors.  Specifically, HDTV displays must have active top-to-bottom scan lines of 720 progressive, 1080 interlaced, or higher."

Note that the CEA criterion is scan lines, not pixel count.  Therefore, a 1024 x 768 panel definitely qualifies as an HDTV under the CEA definition.

In fact, in Australia, the minimum HD resolution is only 576p.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2009 at 12:00 AM by barrister »

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #1012 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 05:16 AM »
Way back 2006 to 2007 it was very clear, at least to me that Plasma was the "definitive" choice. However, the year 2008 saw a plethora of LCD units and models that are starting to rival Plasma in the area of it's well established and untouchable arena of picture quality. Contrast ratio and color reproduction of LCD's have improved immensely over a short period of time, that when I compare my brother's 2007 era  Sammy M8 to the newer A650. You can't help but notice the strides in performance and quality of the 2008 A650 over the M8 (note that both Samsung units are FULL HD panels).

LCD and Plasma have reached a point wherein the difference between the two now is largely a matter of personal choice. Around 2007, it was a virtual no contest to choose a PV70 over an R81BX but now choosing between a PY800 and an A650 is almost like a coin toss situation. I like what this "PLASMA vs LCD" war brought us, it gave us an opportunity to explore our options before we plunk our hard earned cash. The only downside I can see so far is the fact that we may have to spend a little more time on the showroom floor to really check what's good for us - and that's not such a bad thing when you look at it from any viewing angle.

I've spent a decent amount of time and money this year to say that both technologies are clearly neck to neck, and I'm happy to a point where I can sit back and "enjoy the show" without really caring whether it's an LCD in front of me or a PLASMA.

On a side note though, I like the word PLASMA...it sounds classy..."I have a PLAASS-MAAHHH". Doesn't that sound good? Let's say it again..."PLAASS-MAHHH". Much better than a robotic and almost Area-51-ish code breaker *beep* *beep* beep* "I have L-C-D" *beep* *beep* *beep* -end of transmission.

Anyway, enough of the rambling...

CRT pa din ;)

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1013 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 05:25 AM »
CRT pa din ;)
OT ka dito bro  :D :D
nice read btw  ;)

my advise for soon to be buyers, go to the store and check them out yourselves  ;)
nothing beats side by side comparison, before making a decision  :D
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2009 at 05:27 AM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #1014 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 05:45 AM »
OT ka dito bro  :D :D
nice read btw  ;)

my advise for soon to be buyers, go to the store and check them out yourselves  ;)
nothing beats side by side comparison, before making a decision  :D

Sir,

wag lang madadaya ng mga HD generators ha,...

Cheers....

;)

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1015 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 05:49 AM »
Sir,

wag lang madadaya ng mga HD generators ha,...

Cheers....

;)

ive heard about this and the usual suspect is samsung, right?   :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline sacred cow

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1016 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 07:33 AM »
On a side note though, I like the word PLASMA...it sounds classy..."I have a PLAASS-MAAHHH". Doesn't that sound good? Let's say it again..."PLAASS-MAHHH". Much better than a robotic and almost Area-51-ish code breaker *beep* *beep* beep* "I have L-C-D" *beep* *beep* *beep* -end of transmission.

ang kulit...lolz

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1017 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 08:59 AM »
Opposite case ko sa yo Carlo.  My first HDTV was an LCD (Sharp) in 2005 because that time I really thought the PQ of Plasma sucked mainly because they were too dark, they lacked resolution, the meshed look was very very very very pronounced, and then most of the high def contents were variety shows, sports programs, TV dramas, and documentaries.  Occasioanal palang yung high def movies on TV.

Paglabas ng 7 series ng Plasma resolution was no longer an issue provided you can afford the full HD panels and the meshed look was significantly reduced.  But I personally thought the biggest leap of the Plasma so far was the 8 series of Panasonic when the PQ finally became "bright" enough, and of course, the Kuro last year.  Tapos nasabayan ba ng adventures ko in the mkv world at the latter part of 2007.

Right now, I think lamang ang Plasma sa movies pero sa high def variety shows and sports programs - tabla.   Bale depende sa type ng high def camera na ginagamit and sa lighting.   Sa PC applications, LCD pa rin kase non reflective yung screen and mas comfortable kung maliwanag yung room.  For high def gaming, subjective din whether type mo yung PC game look (LCD) or high def CRT look (without considering yung concerns about burn-in) so I'd consider it tabla too.

Regarding naming, sa Japan cool ang LCD.  We call it EXIO here.  So which sounds more star wars - PURASUMA or EKI-SHOU?    ;D

BTW Carlo, dehins pumayag si Kumander about the CRT HDTV.  It's not the offer (it was fair) but sa Philippines daw, talagang CRT pa rin sya for cable viewing and then yung PC for mkvs.  Sorry.  But to answer your enquiries, yes 220V, yes auto-channeling, yes 720p and 1080i through component video (fully tested with HD DVD movies and Xbox360 games - havent tested with mkvs though kase wala akong NMT)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1018 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 09:46 AM »
... However, the year 2008 saw a plethora of LCD units and models that are starting to rival Plasma in the area of it's well established and untouchable arena of picture quality. Contrast ratio and color reproduction of LCD's have improved immensely over a short period of time, that when I compare my brother's 2007 era  Sammy M8 to the newer A650. You can't help but notice the strides in performance and quality of the 2008 A650 over the M8 (note that both Samsung units are FULL HD panels). ...

I recently saw a Samsung 52 inch A650 at Anson's near Podium and you're right ... PQ was really amazing.

The only caveat is that the customer has no idea what kind of video data is being displayed.  You can't even see what kind of player is hooked up.  It's definitely HD, but program material is a Samsung promo clip, not a commercial movie. 

If that thing can play a commercial movie in a compressed DVD-5 disc while maintaining a similar picture quality, bilib na talaga ako.  :o

I move over to the Panasonic displays.  They're playing a standard DVD movie.  PQ is terrible.  Disc is probably a pirated local DVD-5; the pirate source seems to be an AVI to DVD convert with dropped frames due to faulty framerate conversion.   

Comparing the Sammy LCD vs. the Panny plasma ---- the Sammy picture is astounding; the Panny picture is an embarrassing mess.

No wonder the average consumer avoids plasmas.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2009 at 09:49 AM by barrister »

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #1019 on: Feb 18, 2009 at 09:57 AM »
Mikeru Jordan, erebeta (elevator), purasuma, hehe..  Funny how the Japanese for all their talents cannot use L in their language.

I was wowed by the newest Bravias last time I went window shopping.  Side by side with the latest Samsungs (check em out at that TV store in Rockwell), the Sonys clearly stood out. If I am buying a 2nd flat TV today, I'd get a 1080p Bravia 46" or higher.  :)
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2009 at 10:01 AM by lithium_deuteride »
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL