Author Topic: Any Celestion Fans here ?  (Read 63723 times)

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 963
Re: Any Celestion Fans here ?
« Reply #120 on: Mar 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM »
Back in the early eighties when I was still tinkering with our old Akai console stereo which have those big as a buddy ref speakers that have tweeters, mids and woofers that effortlessly blares out a wall of sound but barely can put forth a soundstage that one can discern, my Audio standard was very simple...if its loud it must be good. I was lusting for Bose, Cerwin Vega etc but as a high school student I couldn't afford those which are part of my wish list. Someday I said to myself...I'll have my own bad ass stereo system.  That audio standard that I had was literally changed when I had the chance to enter this store in Manila that is a distributor of a then virtually unknown brand to me which was Celestion.  Dont get me wrong, didn't go in that store because of that brand...I saw the big Bose speakers that they had in front that's why I was attracted like a fly to the light.
Once inside its was like a virtual Disneyland to me...901's galore but what immediately caught my attention was this pair of small speakers that was playing music. It's size is downright laughable compared to my reference Akai's  that my parents own. The drivers are puny compared to the 12 inch woofers that I'm used to seeing on a daily basis....but the sound it conveyed was just like no other that I heard back then.  Someday I said again to myself...SL6.

Throughout my Audio journey I had the chance to own several Celestions..first was the CS6i which was my first serious speaker then came the 1's then the F1's but I was always on the lookout for that one...the original SL6 that in a matter of seconds impressed me decades ago and turned my audio preferences 360 degrees.  This is the speaker model that literally revolutionized and introduced the mini monitor segment to the HiFi community as a serious piece of gear.  Back then the mini monitors that ruled the roost were the derivatives of the BBC designs like the LS/3 which are until now coveted by serious music lovers. Now that I'm all grown up and armed with the Internet I learned that when the SL6 was introduced back in the late 70's it is like no other in terms of design and technology. Handcrafted in Ipswich, England with all drivers and cabinetry in house engineered and produced,  this model is arguably the first British speaker that was equipped with a metal dome tweeter which used Copper as the material of choice for that smooth top end but unfortunately Copper is very heavy so the speakers' sensitivity plummeted to the point that it demands the very best in amplification which was very expensive at that time.  Woofer material is PVC which was unheard of back then when designers used paper or any of its derivatives as the material of choice. The cabinet itself is 23 pounds and is of the sealed box design. No wonder that it sounded that way decades ago in that Manila store that until now I can't recall its name anymore.

Celestion used every trick in their arsenal to develop this model including Laser Based Vibration measuring system for cone breakup analysis. This enabled the Celestion Engineers to use and develop drivers that deliver the goods on both ends of the frequency extreme without breakup due to distortion.  Laser...back in 1979. With an SRP of 155,000 yen or $1600.00 during its release this speaker wasn't designed for the masses in mind. That is 1979 US Dollars which is around 3.5 times in 2013 USD.

A lot of reviews were made on this speaker. Some love it and some hate it....typical of Celestion audio gear.

Negatives were the ff:
- very little bass coming from the sealed box design
- frequency extreme too tamed
- very low sensitivity @82db as measured
- needs a big high current amp

Positives were the ff:
- imaging and soundstaging were spot on
- very musical
- non fatiguing
- if one gets to mate it with the right power amp and the right stand height the negatives of the speaker will be mostly gone.

Problem is that back then a high current amp that puts out in excess of 100 watts is very expensive. Many reviewers noticed that the load that the speaker gives to the amp goes way down that it was nicknamed as an Amp Killer.

Fast forward to 2013....this speaker was now forgotten by way of the Chinese invasion. Easy to drive units, easy on the pockets and provide a decent introduction to what a good monitor is all about. You have your Polks, PSB's, Wharfs and all the other usual suspects that is a concoction of a tweeter from supplier A mated to the woofer of supplier B then boxed up and can be obtained just by going to the nearest mall. We are inundated by cheap digital amps that up to now poses a big question when it comes to its reliability and most of all its sound quality.  Why then pursue to obtain something thats long forgotten? Something that can't be easily obtained..something that's been replaced by technology seven times over?  Something that demands so much in terms of its partnering gear? Probably i am one of the few that thinks newer isn't always better thats why during the course of my audio journey I was always on the lookout for this one...this one speaker that I heard decades ago that completely left an indelible impression on me.  Someday...and that day turned out to be realized in 2013 thanks to Sir Nani who hand carried this pair all the way from Davao.

Mated to my Classe amp which is driven by Luxman Laboratory Series pre amplification and front ended by Cary Audio tube CD plus supported in the bottom end by REL Acoustics and all tied up by Van Den Hul,  the SL6 is all that and more as I have heard it back then.  The wait is well worth it....

Way too much time in my hands to write a post this long but to Celestion fans...enjoy your speakers.  Our numbers may be few but we understand how it is to own these rare beauties.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2013 at 08:52 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline yan777

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: Mar 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM »
ang ganda ni celesti mo sir!

Offline intellution

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Mar 25, 2013 at 04:37 PM »
Dami pala may celestion.....bought a Celestion 1 back in the early 90s and was revived (cone edge) last year by Anthony Audio...using it now for my small audio setup

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Mar 27, 2013 at 02:35 PM »
Here are actual pics of the unit itself guys...

In hindsight...for the entire duration of my Audio Journey there never was a time that I didn't have at least one Celestion. May gayuma ata itong brand na ito. Sad to see that they fell on the wayside already so the newbies don't even have an idea of this brand but still we Celestion owners can keep the fire burning bright.
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Mar 27, 2013 at 05:44 PM »
Here are actual pics of the unit itself guys...

In hindsight...for the entire duration of my Audio Journey there never was a time that I didn't have at least one Celestion. May gayuma ata itong brand na ito. Sad to see that they fell on the wayside already so the newbies don't even have an idea of this brand but still we Celestion owners can keep the fire burning bright.

Bro, nice set of speakers, dynaudio, castle and of course, the Celestion.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline Voltraizer

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Mar 27, 2013 at 09:31 PM »
Dami pala may celestion.....bought a Celestion 1 back in the early 90s and was revived (cone edge) last year by Anthony Audio...using it now for my small audio setup

meron din akong C-1....
w/ sonic t_amp + ipod..ayos!
technics sl1200ltd gold,,Passlabs X250.5,dynaudio C1, rogue  super99,charisma audio ref1 mc 

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Mar 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM »
meron din akong C-1....
w/ sonic t_amp + ipod..ayos!

Nice...C1's...just right for a small bedroom audio set up. Had one a couple of years back but sold it to a pdvd member. Very easy to drive model and very good sound quality.
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Mar 28, 2013 at 10:17 PM »
Bro, nice set of speakers, dynaudio, castle and of course, the Celestion.

Thanks Edwin. Alam mo naman na ito lang bisyo natin....
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Apr 02, 2013 at 09:56 PM »
Been a Celestion fan since the mid 80s. :)  Still using my SL600si Aerolams! 8)

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:04 PM »

Very nice bro. That's one RARE speaker these days.

Some excerpts from John Akinsons review thorough Stereophile of the SL's:

".....presumably due to the tweeter designer trying to squeeze sufficient sensitivity from it, indicating that current-meager amplifiers are best avoided with this loudspeaker. The low 82dB/W/m sensitivity also indicates that low-power amplifiers are also to be avoided. This is one fussy loudspeaker when it comes to choosing a matching amplifier"

"....The scale of the music is small, it has to be admitted; this is the region where the big panel speakers and all-out designs like the Infinity IRS Beta score hands down. But the SL600Si's achieve musical perfection on that restricted scale. I cannot imagine a more pure presentation, for example, of the "Laudamus Te" in the Philips recording as presented by these speakers. Iona Brown's obbligato violin, its tone color absolutely correct, weaves a delicate tracery around Janet Baker's rich contralto, supported by cello and chamber-organ continuo. There are no speakers, just a rectangular window into a holographically real miniature representation of the church acoustic."

"....This is a carefully tuned infinite-baffle design, sacrificing ultimate extension for upper-bass and lower-midrange quality. Its crossover is conventionally British in that it puts flatness of on-axis amplitude response ahead of time coherence, while everything about it, from drive-units to the cabinet itself, is flagrantly "high-tech.""

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:19 PM by synchro_01 »
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline bb3

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:26 PM »

Hey shoomie! Nice 600's!
Buti natago mo pa. My dream Celestions then . . . but couldn't afford them. :D
Hannggang SL6 at 6s lang ako.
But synch is right. I find the oris SL6 to be more musical than the 6s whixh has the slight edge on the higher frequencies.
Problema kasi dati yung "flavor-of-the-month" syndrome sa audio kaya upgrade kaagad to the newer model.
In this case for me, newer isn't necessarily better. 
I miss my SL6.  :(

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:33 PM »
Hey shoomie! Nice 600's!
Buti natago mo pa. My dream Celestions then . . . but couldn't afford them. :D
Hannggang SL6 at 6s lang ako.
But synch is right. I find the oris SL6 to be more musical than the 6s whixh has the slight edge on the higher frequencies.
Problema kasi dati yung "flavor-of-the-month" syndrome sa audio kaya upgrade kaagad to the newer model.
In this case for me, newer isn't necessarily better. 
I miss my SL6.  :(

Hey bb3, same here.  When the Aerolams came out, I too couldn't afford a pair. :(  I was able to get my Aerolams pre-owned from Senor Sensible at a very nice price as I traded to him my Spica TC50s. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:34 PM by M_Shoe_Maker »

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:37 PM »
Still looking for a mint pair of these matching subs. :)  Not the best sounding sub out there, but hey, it's the mate of the Aerolam. O0

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:39 PM by M_Shoe_Maker »

Offline bb3

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:44 PM »
Hey bb3, same here.  When the Aerolams came out, I too couldn't afford a pair. :(  I was able to get my Aerolams pre-owned from Senor Sensible at a very nice price as I traded to him my Spica TC50s. :)

Ha ha. . . kay Senor ko rin nakuha yung SL6 ko.
Was actually at his place to audition the ARC D76 but ended up bringing home the Celestions.
He warned me though na baka maghingalo yung D51 which I was using at that time.
Hindi nga kaya. . . Matakaw yung SL6.
Went back to Senor the following night and got the D76 na rin.
Senor was kind enough to give me soft terms on the amp.
In my smallish room then, the ARC D76 could make the SL6 sing beautifully.

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:45 PM »
Still looking for a mint pair of these matching subs. :)  Not the best sounding sub out there, but hey, it's the mate of the Aerolam. O0

That's even rarer than your speakers bro. Saw a pair 5 years ago in Audiogon with the 600 however the owner wanted $2K for it. It was sold within 15 days. Never saw it resurface again in the open market.
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:49 PM »
That's even rarer than your speakers bro. Saw a pair 5 years ago in Audiogon with the 600 however the owner wanted $2K for it. It was sold within 15 days. Never saw it resurface again in the open market.

Yeah.  A few years ago, I remember Senor Sensible telling me that he had a pair, but laspag na daw. :(

Here is another pic from the net. 8)
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:52 PM by M_Shoe_Maker »

Offline bb3

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:53 PM »

Bomalabs (Gerry K.) had those subs during our Tuesday Club days.
Tama ka. Medyo butas nga sa midbass so he traded it in for the Quads after a while.
The 6000 system did look neat though.

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:57 PM »
Bomalabs (Gerry K.) had those subs during our Tuesday Club days.
Tama ka. Medyo butas nga sa midbass so he traded it in for the Quads after a while.
The 6000 system did look neat though.

Yeah, really Bad A$$ looking. >:D  May free stand ka pa. ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013 at 11:57 PM by M_Shoe_Maker »

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Apr 03, 2013 at 12:03 AM »
Ha ha. . . kay Senor ko rin nakuha yung SL6 ko.
Was actually at his place to audition the ARC D76 but ended up bringing home the Celestions.
He warned me though na baka maghingalo yung D51 which I was using at that time.
Hindi nga kaya. . . Matakaw yung SL6.
Went back to Senor the following night and got the D76 na rin.
Senor was kind enough to give me soft terms on the amp.
In my smallish room then, the ARC D76 could make the SL6 sing beautifully.

Buti ka nga naka D76 for your SL6. 8)  When I first had a taste of the low sensitivity SL6, I was running it for a time with the first gen 20 watt/ch NAD3020. ;D ;D ;D  After a week, napabili tuloy ng Hafler DH220. :)  Betterer!! O0
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2013 at 12:05 AM by M_Shoe_Maker »

Offline bb3

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Apr 03, 2013 at 01:14 AM »
Buti ka nga naka D76 for your SL6. 8)  When I first had a taste of the low sensitivity SL6, I was running it for a time with the first gen 20 watt/ch NAD3020. ;D ;D ;D  After a week, napabili tuloy ng Hafler DH220. :)  Betterer!! O0

Yup, yakang-yaka na ni Hafler yun.
But dont knock that 3020. I remember experimenting if it could drive my  Inf 4.5s.
Napatunog naman nya but I was using an low output MC cart that was hard to drive.
Had no CDP yet.
Am sure the high gain digital front end sources now would make that unlikely synergy sound better.

Anyway, the 3020 mated with the Celestion 5 (or was it the celestion 1? Which came out first? I forget) was my office set up.
During office hours, pa "jazz ma-cool" lang muna. But after 5, pwede na si Katie Lied, Fillmore East, at Cafe Bleu.
The Celestions performed admirably on both genres. 8)

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #140 on: Apr 03, 2013 at 07:26 AM »
Yeah saw those subwoofers in his Paco shop.  I also got my SL6si from Lito

Yeah.  A few years ago, I remember Senor Sensible telling me that he had a pair, but laspag na daw. :(

Here is another pic from the net. 8)

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Apr 03, 2013 at 08:36 PM »
Dapat pala dito naka post to. From the Vintage Gallery..
Never been without a pair since I started this journey of ours also. Sadly, this is my last pair. No regrets  ;)

Celestion 100

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/692cel/

This particular model is now roughly 20years old. Vintage or not, it’s one of the best sounding speakers I’ve ever owned. If you are looking for a “compromise” unit between a floor stander and a bookshelf with just enough LF and a very capable mid-hi performance, suggest you try this one out. Depending on your listening style, the amp will be a very big factor in making these monitors sing.

Just my two cents. Your ears are still the best judge. Definitely keepers.

i don’t know the story behind this one. Some speakers have them, some don’t.

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #142 on: Apr 03, 2013 at 10:19 PM »
Nice Sir southpeak.

Now I'm missing my mint Celestion 100 na inawitan ng friend ko for 4K pesos, hu-hu-hu.

But I still have the bigger, uglier, but nice sounding Celestion 3000.

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/590celestion

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2013 at 12:02 AM by romymartinez »

Offline synchro_01

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Apr 04, 2013 at 07:54 AM »
Hey Bro Southpeak...thats a pretty darn good model. I still have the Dynaudio A50 that I got from you probably 8 years ago hehe...best regards
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Apr 04, 2013 at 05:54 PM »
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2013 at 05:55 PM by M_Shoe_Maker »

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #145 on: Apr 09, 2013 at 11:18 AM »

Here's my contribution , this is on loan from my brother a SL6si , the aluminum cone version

Offline ilongranger

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #146 on: Jun 05, 2013 at 11:17 PM »
Also just got the sl6si. Am a big fan now. Now looking for a good deal on a 600 or 700. Any lead on this?
Jbl Hartsfield
Emt 930 st
Marantz 8b
Marantz 7c
Jadis JP80mc
Jps labs

Offline sound garden

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Jun 06, 2013 at 03:49 PM »
I was once a BIG fun of Celestion Speakers in the 90's. My first ever celestion that I wish to buy back is the Celestion Sl-700se. I bought it in 1998 from a U.S serviceman and sold it to a friend year 2005 and until now he still has it and I wanted to buy back but no luck  :'( :'( 

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2013 at 03:54 PM by sound garden »
Clarity, detail, accuracy, and realism are unmatched....

Offline M_Shoe_Maker

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Jun 06, 2013 at 09:31 PM »
Also just got the sl6si. Am a big fan now. Now looking for a good deal on a 600 or 700. Any lead on this?

I got my 600 from Senor Sensible.  But that was a long time ago.  Give him a ring, who knows, he may still have a pair......
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2013 at 09:32 PM by M_Shoe_Maker »

Offline ilongranger

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #149 on: Jun 07, 2013 at 09:27 AM »
Thanks will give home a ring
Jbl Hartsfield
Emt 930 st