Author Topic: CD Player  (Read 177600 times)

Offline H a n $

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CD Player
« Reply #360 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 10:09 AM »
Nels,

Notice iba talaga pagmaganda cdp mo... ingit ako... huhuhuh

Narayan,

Sir maraming salamat po.. for the warm accomodation!! ;D ;D sir ayos yun MS914 mo sa tube bili na... >:D >:D

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #361 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 10:12 AM »
guys,

Sino kaya nagka SARS?? >:D >:D ;D ;D

Offline BGA VI

• Collector
  • surplus addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #362 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 10:26 AM »
Sir isako411,
 yung 228, 1988 model yun.

yung sa atin 1987.

sir hans, ako yata may sars, panay punta ko sa WS na site, pero di pa grabe  ;D ;D

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 10:28 AM »
Kumusta ang NAD 542?

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 10:39 AM »
And how's the MS 914? heheheh

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #365 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 10:43 AM »
hans...stand-out ang amp mo...CONGRATS!

god bless! 8)
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 11:33 AM »
Kumusta ang NAD 542?

I would not be the person who can rate this CDP impartially bro and you can just ask the others who were present. Since i've already heard a lot from the C542, ranging from a variety of genre like jazz, rock, vocals, new age, acoustics and classical music, i would say that this is a balanced performer and an all-rounder CDP though it doesn't have what it takes to outshine the Exposure 2010 at any given time or condition. The Exposure simply stamped its class by being the CDP with a balanced presentation of all the instruments being played in a particular track. The obvious reason for this is that it is the only player equipped with a Burr-Brown 24-bit/96kHz Delta Sigma DAC which the other players in the shoot out simply doesn't have in their internal circuitry and so we should only expect a superb performance from this player if compared side by side with those players pitted against it.

Sad to say, the shoot out was not comprehensive enough to totally gauge the over-all performance of a player inasmuch as the type of music played were only vocals, acoustics and jazz. It would have been desirable if we have put on some fast beat music like rock, bass heavy rap, orchestral renditions of classical music or those music played by big bands where the presence, transparency and impact of each musical instrument can be discerned thereby allowing us to judge the players' capabilities.

As to who excelled in the shoot out, my hands down choice would be no other than the Exposure 2010. For my choice of the runners up and their rankings from the top, i'll just keep it to myself on fears that i might unnecessarily invite the ire of others. 

Just like all of you would have been clamoring for right now, I'm looking forward to a shoot out match of the Exposure 2010 with any of the tubed CD Players like the Consonance Reference of Iceman or either the Cayin or Jolida of Superman (alin ba dito ang balak mo, sir?) he he he

;D ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2004 at 11:35 AM by audioslave »

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #367 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 11:37 AM »
As to who excelled in the shoot out, my hands down choice would be no other than the Exposure 2010. For my choice of the runners up and their rankings from the top, i'll just keep it to myself on fears that i might unnecessarily invite the ire of others.
 ;D ;)

Sir hindi naman siguro, sir.   :D :D
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2004 at 11:47 AM by kimpao »

Offline wanderlust

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #368 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 12:15 PM »
among all that was present i was the first to go, at that was past 5:30pm... we started at around 2:30, and by the time i went home, all others wasnt even thinking of going home yet, so you see, how we all enjoyed the shoot-out, sayang tlga to those who werent able to make it there.

i agree with everyone else's who was there, its the 2010 that stand out among the rest.... well actually even as to the price, the 2010 stands out, hehehe.

but i do take cognizance of sir BGA's sony and hans denon, stand out performers as well considering they are all surpluses..... makes me wanna bite the dust and join the surplus cpd bandwagon.

thank you's goes to the host, sir narayan, salamat po sa paghatid sakin palabas and sa food;

kay ka roger for letting us hitch a ride in going to the venue kahit naligaw... hehehe;

kay rstube, sir yong belden ko ha....;

and to all others that were there, nice meeting you all!!! sa uulitin mga sir!

salamat din pala kay don kimpao and sir hans, salamat sa tulong nyong lumala sars ko!!!! ahihihihi, "magtubes na kasi tayong lahat, para d lang ako..."

fisshhhhhhhhhhhhhh tayo...... O0

Offline Audioboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 12:15 PM »
how was the shootout conducted? blind fold test ba?

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #370 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 12:28 PM »
Sir Narayan,

Tnx for the warm welcome!

Guys, dahil sa shootout, tinago ko na discman ko... old Samsung vcd player na lang ginamit ko and mas maganda nga talaga!

For me, the shootout was an eye opener.

Thanks!
JojoD

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 12:38 PM »

mga bossing sino yung 2 sa kanan? kilala ko yung preamp ni Akyat tsaka AMX ni Hans...

salamat!

- iceman (naiingit)

sorry po medyo OT.... bet you didn't recognize the WS tono.

i've always wanted to have gear that's standing on its side.
sir jojoD, can you fit my hybrid gainclone in this chassis?

i wanted to but didn't get the chance to take a pic of rstube's DIY copper/gold preamp with kamagong side panels but it was also beautiful.
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2004 at 02:26 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 12:39 PM »
For me, the shootout was an eye opener.

Thanks!
JojoD

O nga pre eye and ear opener nga.... i'm now thinking of upgrading the opamps of my CDP, saan ba nakakabili at magkano ba op amps na AD826 or AD8066 as an upgrade replacement of the NAD C542's stock OP2134?

;D :)

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 12:42 PM »
sorry po medyo OT.... bet you didn't recognize the WS tono.

i've always wanted to have gear that's standing on its side.
sir jojoD, can you fit my hybrid gainclone in this chassis?

i wanted to but didn't get the chance to take a pic of rstube's DIY copper/gold preamp with kamagong side panels but it was also beautiful.

Nice picture sir ang galing ng shot, if this for sale malamang nabili na ito hehehe
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2004 at 01:14 PM by DVDiva »
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #374 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 12:53 PM »
OT pero ang galing talagang photographer si ka Roger. gaganda ng mga kuha mo sir. pwedeng pwede mo na palitan si tryaudio sa trabaho nya... he he he

:o ;D

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 01:05 PM »
professional takes talaga! and mind you my stand pang gamit yan ha to insure stability!

sir pwedeng mag pa potraiture sayo?

hehehe fisssshhhhh tayo sir.

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #376 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 01:08 PM »
Sino nga pala ibang di nakarating na entries besides mine?

Did the following entries made it? How was their performance?

Levi's nakamichi?
The Pioneer?
The Usher?
I know Panasonic entry did not make it.

The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #377 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 01:12 PM »
O nga pre eye and ear opener nga.... i'm now thinking of upgrading the opamps of my CDP, saan ba nakakabili at magkano ba op amps na AD826 or AD8066 as an upgrade replacement of the NAD C542's stock OP2134?

;D :)
Sir if you will upgrade for an OP Amp I suggest AD8066 i've already read a review: if your stock opamp is BB OP2134 to Analog Device (AD8066) the difference is night and day. We're using the same opamp. I am also looking for AD8066 which is already attached to adaptor for a tru hole (AD8066 is surface mount device pkg.)
Anybody?
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 01:13 PM »
Sino nga pala ibang di nakarating na entries besides mine?

Did the following entries made it? How was their performance?

Levi's nakamichi?
The Pioneer?
The Usher?
I know Panasonic entry did not make it.

Any comment on the USHER?
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #379 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 01:20 PM »
Akyat,

I can fit your gainclone in such an enclosure, walang imposible sa DIY.

Guys,

I have always admired akyat's photography skills, how I wish I have them! (Akyat's skills)

As for the cd players, saludo ako sa mga nagdala. Ang gaganda talaga.

Offline murcielago

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 01:41 PM »
I don't have audiophile ears but I did distinguish some obvious differences with the various CDP's.  The conditions were less than ideal for a thorough apple to apple comparison (we were switching from one preamp to the next when we began using the tubed amp and I became keen of listening for differences). And like audioslave, I would have preferred faster and more complicated music to test the mettle of each player.

At the risk of "inviting the ire" of some CDP owners, here are some of my impressions:

1.  Earlier on, using the SS amps of our host with the Denon, the Exposure, and the Usher on line, I could perceive a widening of the soundstage everytime we switched from the Denon to either the Usher or Exposure (and a narrowing of the soundstage kung vice versa). Sa first notes palang ng song halata mo na. Parang the Exposure had a slightly wider soundstage than the Usher but the latter had more "bloom". The Exposure resolved the the details better and mas "madiin" yung bass compared to the Usher. The highs were more defined with the Exposure compared to the Usher.

2. Using the same SS amps this time with the Sony ESD, the Rotel 1070, and the older Rotel of our host and later on the NAD 542, I wasn't too keenly listening at this stage but I did note the following: the Sony was surprisingly good, its bass was strong and taut, the 1070 played the loudest - you have to lower the volume a bit when you switch to the 1070 as if malakas yung kanyang gain, I couldn't distinguish between the 1070 and the other Rotel although those who listened keenly said the 1070 had more details. The 542, like the Denon had a narrower soundstage compared to the Rotels and the Sony but but wasn't too far behind overall.

3. Using the AMX 30-wpc EL-34 amp and various preamps with the Exposure, the 1070, and the Sony and this time playing audioslave's fast and catchy Sundance Flamenco CD, the Exposure really shined with its balanced and detailed presentation which made it very musical and involving, the 1070 matched the Exposure in revealing the details but had more emphasis on the highs and lows which somewhat drowned some of the finer details, the Sony didn't match the Exposure's and 1070's detail resolving capability but it was very well balanced too. The 1070 had a big sound that grabs at you. In comparison, the Exposure is more laid back with greater focus on the position of the singer and instruments.

There were other combinations that I didn't listen to and hopefully the others can comment on these for the information of everyone.  Afterall, this is what we're after with shootouts di ba?  At all shootouts may winners and losers but another day using other amplifiers and cables (we were using P 25,000 XLO speaker cables BTW), the results can very well be different. And this is just one man's opinion.

Special mention to sir Obet's MS-914's nga pala.  Maganda tumunog specially with the tubed amp. 
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2004 at 02:10 PM by murcielago »

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #381 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 02:04 PM »

I would not be the person who can rate this CDP impartially bro and you can just ask the others who were present. Since i've already heard a lot from the C542, ranging from a variety of genre like jazz, rock, vocals, new age, acoustics and classical music, i would say that this is a balanced performer and an all-rounder CDP though it doesn't have what it takes to outshine the Exposure 2010 at any given time or condition. The Exposure simply stamped its class by being the CDP with a balanced presentation of all the instruments being played in a particular track. The obvious reason for this is that it is the only player equipped with a Burr-Brown 24-bit/96kHz Delta Sigma DAC which the other players in the shoot out simply doesn't have in their internal circuitry and so we should only expect a superb performance from this player if compared side by side with those players pitted against it.

Sad to say, the shoot out was not comprehensive enough to totally gauge the over-all performance of a player inasmuch as the type of music played were only vocals, acoustics and jazz. It would have been desirable if we have put on some fast beat music like rock, bass heavy rap, orchestral renditions of classical music or those music played by big bands where the presence, transparency and impact of each musical instrument can be discerned thereby allowing us to judge the players' capabilities.

Just like all of you would have been clamoring for right now, I'm looking forward to a shoot out match of the Exposure 2010 with any of the tubed CD Players like the Consonance Reference of Iceman or either the Cayin or Jolida of Superman (alin ba dito ang balak mo, sir?) he he he

;D ;)

Thanks for this.

But I think its okay to have preference and something, nobody cant take thay away, we have different ears. As we know, sound quality is very subjective.

Actually, I am more inclined to know the performance of suplus to mid-end CD players, to help me justify not to buy the expensive/high end CD players.

But according to some findings here, to me the surplus CDPs are the real winners. Just me.

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 02:38 PM »
i was able to listen to the denon being pitted with the exposure (tapang ni hans e, saludo ako! and take note nauna pa pinatugtog denon nya ha :o), playing chesky's test cd, and although the difference was quite obvious, it wasnt that high. and when you come to think of the price difference (the exposure i heard cost 45,000.00, while hans denon cost 4,500.00, ga 0 lang difference ano!  ::) hehehe)  i wouldnt think twice in getting the denon without blinking an eye (yong sukli bili ko na lang ng tubes,  >:D ayos!)

then there was BGA's sony competing with the usher, again there were obvious differences but then again the sony will cost you only 2.2k (AM I RIGHT SIR BGA?) and the usher cost around 19k, ga tubes pa rin difference, i say. ^-^

O0

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 03:17 PM »
i was able to listen to the denon being pitted with the exposure (tapang ni hans e, saludo ako! and take note nauna pa pinatugtog denon nya ha :o), playing chesky's test cd, and although the difference was quite obvious, it wasnt that high. and when you come to think of the price difference (the exposure i heard cost 45,000.00, while hans denon cost 4,500.00, ga 0 lang difference ano!  ::) hehehe)  i wouldnt think twice in getting the denon without blinking an eye (yong sukli bili ko na lang ng tubes,  >:D ayos!)

then there was BGA's sony competing with the usher, again there were obvious differences but then again the sony will cost you only 2.2k (AM I RIGHT SIR BGA?) and the usher cost around 19k, ga tubes pa rin difference, i say. ^-^

O0
I agree sir, the cost of the comparison can't justify the difference in sounds quality. It's true a Php2.2k CD player surplus plays fine compared to 19k to 45K players. As Sir Kim says the small difference yun yung binibili natin hehehe. Overall in terms of economy and sounds winner ang mga surplus, it's a matter of preferences diba
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 03:18 PM »
guys, any comments on how the winning CDP's could sound so good?

was it because of the DAC or the opamps used?  i was wondering if i could get my DVP or CDP tweaked to sound like those.

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #385 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 03:21 PM »
guys, any comments on how the winning CDP's could sound so good?

was it because of the DAC or the opamps used?  i was wondering if i could get my DVP or CDP tweaked to sound like those.

papalitan mo yung opamp, clock and PS caps/power supply...total cost will be the same as buying an expensive cd player hehe :)

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 03:49 PM »

papalitan mo yung opamp, clock and PS caps/power supply...total cost will be the same as buying an expensive cd player hehe :)

yikes... pwede kaya opamp lang ang palitan?  i read somewhere that one of the cheapest (and best) tweaks costs nothing -- just remove the muting transistors w/c degrade the sound of inexpensive CDPs... an article i saw suggests that manufacturers use relays in high-end CDPs and bipolar transistors in cheap CDPs to give their high-end units a better edge, but that having none at all is better than using a transistor for muting, except when you remove it you will hear a thump whenever you turn the unit on/off.

found this on the net.... a guy built a tube circuit to enhance his NAD cd player (search "CD Enhancer III").... now the NAD looks like a tube amp.  ;D

« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2004 at 04:04 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #387 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 04:02 PM »

O0

Pre nakataon lang na exposure agad ang ka-pair nya pero oks lang..  ;D ;D kinabahan din ako dun hehehe.. for me hanap ko yun natural sounding agree with the guys na there are cd player give emphasis on bass, high, & mid pero mas type ko yun walang dagdag... :D :D

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #388 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 04:13 PM »
hans...stand-out ang amp mo...CONGRATS!

god bless! 8)

Sir thanks buti nga at di napahiya AMX amp ko... at least to those new to tube have auditioned/heard tube for the first/second time eh na convinced sana?? ;D..

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #389 on: Jun 14, 2004 at 04:20 PM »
May For Sale na NAD C542 sa Buy & Sell Thread ???
The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst