Author Topic: Speaker DIY'ers  (Read 310168 times)

Offline rulesmeister

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Speaker DIY'ers
« Reply #540 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 08:27 AM »

Here's the enlarged photo (under scope) of the Euros6 speaker wires that I had replaced with #10 wire. The tiny default wires has black pigmentation an indication of burnt copper. I intentionally placed a glass diode beside the wire to illustrate the comparision of the speaker wires to the 0.5mm diameter of the glass diode's wire.

The resulting sound was far way better than prior to wire replacement and I had more confident in the safety of my gears knowing that the wires could handle better electrical current...

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2012 at 08:30 AM by rulesmeister »

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #541 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 08:41 AM »
here is a link, it shows carrent carrying capacities of hook-up wires.....http://electriciantraining.tpub.com/14191/css/14191_71.htm

another good reference about wires and cables: http://www.navy-radio.com/manuals/0101-1xx/0101_110-06.pdf

all of these from our friend mr google.....http://www.google.com.ph/search?ix=uca&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=current+carrying+capacities+of+hookup+wires

if you feel you have more peace of mind using wires that can carry 33 amperes, then by all mean go ahead.... :D :D :D
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2012 at 08:51 AM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #542 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 08:55 AM »
At least hindi nasusunog wires ko.. By the way, bakit sobrang big deal sayo kong papalitan ko wires ng speakers ko??? As Ive said earlier, maganda nman result and much safer pa... Cant you mind your own business??? I dont get it why people are so mindful of other people's activities...
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2012 at 09:05 AM by rulesmeister »

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #543 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 09:04 AM »
Hi Tony,

This got me thinking....... How much current is the power amp delivering to the speakers?

Let's narrow down the limits, say,

1.  For Solid State amps - 25 watts to 100 watts Class AB rated
2.  For Tube amps - 10 watts to 50 watts Class A rated

If there is a guide, then we can optimize the size of the speaker wires without unnecessarily over sizing or under sizing.

Thanks
JoeyGS

here is a link, it shows carrent carrying capacities of hook-up wires.....http://electriciantraining.tpub.com/14191/css/14191_71.htm

another good reference about wires and cables: http://www.navy-radio.com/manuals/0101-1xx/0101_110-06.pdf

all of these from our friend mr google.....http://www.google.com.ph/search?ix=uca&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=current+carrying+capacities+of+hookup+wires

if you feel you have more peace of mind using wires that can carry 33 amperes, then by all mean go ahead.... :D :D :D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #544 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM »
At least hindi nasusunog wires ko.. By the way, bakit sobrang big deal sayo kong papalitan ko wires ng speakers ko??? As Ive said earlier, maganda nman result and much safer pa... Cant you mind your own business??? I dont get it why people are so mindful of other people's activities...

because you posted in a public forum...... :D :D :D

no big deal to me really,and i don't care about your speakers, mine is also a Euros6,  but others(Newbies) might think that using big wires is an ordinary casual thing, it is to them that i address my post to, not to you since you have already made up your mind.....they have other choices too.....

using bigger than nescessary wires should be a conscious decision after getting all the pertinent information are known, and not because someone told them that it is what they should do...... :D :D :D ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #545 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM »
Hi Tony,

This got me thinking....... How much current is the power amp delivering to the speakers?

Let's narrow down the limits, say,

1.  For Solid State amps - 25 watts to 100 watts Class AB rated
2.  For Tube amps - 10 watts to 50 watts Class A rated

If there is a guide, then we can optimize the size of the speaker wires without unnecessarily over sizing or under sizing.

Thanks
JoeyGS

to calculate current into an 8ohm load, I = sqrt(P/8)

so that at 10 watts into 8 ohms results in a current of  1.1 rms amperes;
25watts into 8 ohms results in a current of 1.77 rms amperes;
50 watts into 8 ohms results in a current of 2.5 amps;
100watts into 8ohms results in a current of 3.5 rms amps.....

it doesn't matter tube or ss, the cable has no idea as to type of amp it is connected to....

lenght also comes into consideration, longer runs need bigger size wires than shorter runs....
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM by TonyT »

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #546 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM »

Here's the enlarged photo (under scope) of the Euros6 speaker wires that I had replaced with #10 wire. The tiny default wires has black pigmentation an indication of burnt copper. I intentionally placed a glass diode beside the wire to illustrate the comparision of the speaker wires to the 0.5mm diameter of the glass diode's wire.

The resulting sound was far way better than prior to wire replacement and I had more confident in the safety of my gears knowing that the wires could handle better electrical current...

wha... sunog? san banda yang burnt part na yan? sa terminal, input ng crossover, crossover output to woofer o sa woofer terminal?
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #547 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM »
i forgot to mention, since cables sold locally are more often than not undersized, getting bigger sized cables makes sense, your #10 wire may not even be that....it could be a #16 and you may not know the difference....

parang gusto ko tuloy buksan yung Euros6 ko, pero bakit pa, mahusay namang tumunog..... ;D :D ;)
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM by TonyT »

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #548 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 12:24 PM »
@ markcrenz:
Sunog po Sir ung wire na ikakabit sa terminal post sa likod... Ung Euros6 ko last Dec '11 ko lng binili, used sparingly (less than 1 hr/day) on weekdays, and on weekends 2 movies lang kc nagala din naman ako...  Ung setting ko sa Onkyo is between -10db to 0db sa volume..

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #549 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM »
@ TonyT

Thanks for the informative guide of determining the probable current to be expected in an amplifier/speaker set-up. At least I can have peace of mind and likewise knowing that what I spent for is value for money.

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM by JoeyGS »

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #550 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 01:42 PM »
@ markcrenz:
Sunog po Sir ung wire na ikakabit sa terminal post sa likod... Ung Euros6 ko last Dec '11 ko lng binili, used sparingly (less than 1 hr/day) on weekdays, and on weekends 2 movies lang kc nagala din naman ako...  Ung setting ko sa Onkyo is between -10db to 0db sa volume..
manufacturer's fault. loose connection ang problem, not the wire size per se. may arcing kaya nasunog ang wire. but if replacing the wires entirely gives you satisfaction and peace of mind, well and good. having very curious hands, sabi ko sa sarili ko dati, "if it ain't broke, mod it!"  ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #551 on: Apr 19, 2012 at 01:55 PM »
you are correct mark
manufacturer's fault. loose connection ang problem, not the wire size per se. may arcing kaya nasunog ang wire. but if replacing the wires entirely gives you satisfaction and peace of mind, well and good. having very curious hands, sabi ko sa sarili ko dati, "if it ain't broke, mod it!"  ;D

pinagdaan ko na rin yan,  ;D ;)

I bought mine in dec. 2010 and still going strong up to now, no desire to tamper with it.....me quality issues ang Dai-Ichi? calling on John, what's going on?

if ever, i will build my own speakers from the ground up......using silver wires, silver solder, polypropylene caps, the works..... ;D ;D ;D

Offline dvdspike

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • The truth in the music is in your hearing!
  • Liked:
« Reply #552 on: Apr 21, 2012 at 04:18 PM »
Is there anybody in the house who does enclosures for Full Range drivers? TIA any referals or information will be appreciated.
I BELIEVE IN HORN TECHNOLOGY

Offline dvdspike

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #553 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 09:06 AM »
Is there anybody in the house who does enclosures for Full Range drivers? TIA any referals or information will be appreciated.

Guess there ain't none eh? Thanks anyway! :o

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #554 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM »

TRod93.  ;)

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,105064.330/topicseen.html#lastPost

Offline dvdspike

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #555 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 08:08 PM »
Looks like he isn't interested PM him twice na yata. anyways thanks Sir Nelson
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2012 at 08:09 PM by dvdspike »

Offline markcrenz

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #556 on: Apr 23, 2012 at 09:46 PM »
may design plans ka na? patingnan ko sa pinagpagawaan ko ng sansui boxes. sya rin nag-repair ng infinitys

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #557 on: Apr 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM »

He is seldom online. But may number siya. Anyway:

may design plans ka na? patingnan ko sa pinagpagawaan ko ng sansui boxes. sya rin nag-repair ng infinitys

Ayun oh. Masmadali. Or si MarcoPilyo din pala baka kaya ka niya entertain.

Offline dvdspike

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #558 on: Apr 24, 2012 at 09:00 AM »

Thanks this is very helpful. The design basically one regular bass reflex enclosure and for the other a folded back one. An altenative din is an open type enclosure. I was really hoping AAudio could do this for me since impressed ako sa finish nila and have seen some of the enclosures they did before to other PDVD members, Just too bad they stopped doing this.

Will get in touch when the drivers arrive Sir!

Offline Stark3

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #559 on: Apr 26, 2012 at 03:43 PM »
Share ko lang pala, I just started a "build blog" para sa full range speakers na DIY project ko. :)

http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,162110.0.html

Cheers!

Offline agsmd793

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
BK-12M DIY
« Reply #560 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 08:48 PM »

my first build! ;D

Offline juneaki

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #561 on: May 09, 2013 at 08:15 AM »
I have a Beyma 8 AG/N full range speaker (courtesy of romymartinez).

I'm planning to build enclosure such as this http://nuebeats.wordpress.com/fullrange-speaker-das-viech/ Since this is my first, i will use muna cheap available materials na nakatambak lang sa bahay. May mga plywood at plyboard na excess from house renovation, will check if enough to build this project.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013 at 08:41 PM by juneaki »

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #562 on: May 10, 2013 at 08:56 PM »
Checked my gears, oops kinakalawang na. Time to put them in use.

Started cutting the pieces.

Assembling the speaker boxes.

next time, the finish product.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013 at 04:44 PM by juneaki »

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #563 on: May 10, 2013 at 09:08 PM »

Looking good.....  8)  :o

Waiting for the next line of the build..  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline ndotcom

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • DVD Guru
  • verbum sat sapienti est
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #564 on: May 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM »
Way to go sir Jun. Welcome to the DIY world..be warned mas matindi sa SARS yan pag naumpisahan gusto panay na ang gawa  >:D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #565 on: May 11, 2013 at 11:55 AM »
makabili na rin ng router,power saw, sander atbp....too enticing to diy speakers....:D

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #566 on: May 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM »
Thanks mga sirs. And here are my first completed DIY speakers.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013 at 06:07 PM by juneaki »

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #567 on: May 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM »
Initial test sounds promising. As expected, per various reviews, ang vocals at acoustic instruments ay lumulutang. Presence of low frequency can also be felt (although not as punchy as from a subwoofer)  but IMHO it's already very good. The good thing not being boomy is hindi nasasapawan yung ibang instrumento kaya made-determine mo ang tunog ng ibang instruments sa music. Sa highs department naman, all i can say is the presence is there but it may need some supplement or some tweaking. What can you guys recommend? BTW, yung likod ns speaker kung mapapansin nyo ay bukas, purposely ginawa kong ganon for future sand filling.

Konting finishing pa, then wood stain using red mahogany then ready na ito. BTW i just use a Yamaha CR 440 na vintage i just bought from vhinx for initial testing. Ipon ipon muna para sa tube amp ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM by juneaki »

Offline juneaki

• DVD Guru
  • Mangyan ng Mindoro
  • Liked:
« Reply #568 on: May 12, 2013 at 03:41 PM »
Finally my very first DIY speakers!

Enjoying now the music given by these beymas. Currently listening to Audiophile Voices using Marantz CD 6002 as source and Yamaha CR 440 Stereo Receiver to power the speakers. I want to try these speakers sana with a tube amp pero wala pa ako nun. :-[

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #569 on: May 12, 2013 at 06:01 PM »
I want to try these speakers sana with a tube amp pero wala pa ako nun.

you can diy, kaya mo yan....Edrel sells kits.... :D