Author Topic: DVD-R Media Quality and Compatibility  (Read 84502 times)

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: DVD-R Media Quality and Compatibility
« Reply #150 on: Dec 22, 2005 at 08:27 AM »
SUCCESS!!!  ;D

I was able to exchange the PHILIPS DVD-R with an HP yesterday. Sabi ko sa salesgirl "mali ang nabili ko - dapat daw HP"  ;D

To make it appear na hindi talaga nagalaw ung binili kong discs, hinanap ko pa sa trash can ung flexible plastic binder na ginagamit to secure the discs, luckily nandun pa - painstakingly spread apart the binder and re use it on the discs again -- the salesgirl was trying to inspect the disc but since she believed that the binder was untouched she never checked all the discs again.  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline snapy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #151 on: Dec 22, 2005 at 09:50 AM »
SUCCESS!!!  ;D

I was able to exchange the PHILIPS DVD-R with an HP yesterday. Sabi ko sa salesgirl "mali ang nabili ko - dapat daw HP"  ;D

To make it appear na hindi talaga nagalaw ung binili kong discs, hinanap ko pa sa trash can ung flexible plastic binder na ginagamit to secure the discs, luckily nandun pa - painstakingly spread apart the binder and re use it on the discs again -- the salesgirl was trying to inspect the disc but since she believed that the binder was untouched she never checked all the discs again.  ;D

pare anong branch ka ba bumili nyan? sa gilmore ka ba bumili?

Offline downtown

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Dec 22, 2005 at 01:24 PM »
jerix,
are those the silver 8x philips?

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Dec 22, 2005 at 01:40 PM »
downtown --- yup

Snapy -- bro kung connected ka sa CDR King wag mo silang e-terminate ha?  ;D Maganda nga yun kasi at least guaranteed satisfaction and dulot nyan sa aming customers. Yun lang naman ang ginawa kong strategy, pero sa totoo lang hndi naman gamit yun and are still in very good condition.  :)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Dec 22, 2005 at 04:44 PM »
downtown --- yup

Snapy -- bro kung connected ka sa CDR King wag mo silang e-terminate ha?  ;D Maganda nga yun kasi at least guaranteed satisfaction and dulot nyan sa aming customers. Yun lang naman ang ginawa kong strategy, pero sa totoo lang hndi naman gamit yun and are still in very good condition.  :)

tsiong wla akong connection dyan.. besides ako naman din gusto ko magkaroon talaga sila ng return policy..
e ang problema.. only gilmore does that.. wla na ibang branch..

biktima nadin ako nyang no return policy..

yan naman din nakakainis they aint playing fare talaga with the dvds.. gilmore lang?

i really wanted to know the reason bat gilmore lang pwede dvd return.. and not with other branches.. anybody knew it? pls explain..

Offline vision_of_love

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Dec 22, 2005 at 04:59 PM »
sa legarda branch,pwede naman return...

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Dec 22, 2005 at 07:15 PM »
sa legarda branch,pwede naman return...

oh? dvd pwede return sa legarda?
alam ko cdr pwede sa lahat..

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 07:57 AM »
tsiong wla akong connection dyan.. besides ako naman din gusto ko magkaroon talaga sila ng return policy..
e ang problema.. only gilmore does that.. wla na ibang branch..

biktima nadin ako nyang no return policy..

yan naman din nakakainis they aint playing fare talaga with the dvds.. gilmore lang?

i really wanted to know the reason bat gilmore lang pwede dvd return.. and not with other branches.. anybody knew it? pls explain..

Bro joke only!  ;D i refer to the CDR-king SM Fairview branch. I really dont know nagbakasakali lang talaga ako to return that kasi once i tried returning some DVD-rs, the gold one costing i think 12 pesos each, much cheaper than the 25 pesos Philips and the saleslady refused.

Maybe for the Philips or more pricey discs pwede but not the discs costing around 12 pesos.

Maybe too, depende sa rason -- sabi ko kasi sa salesgirl "nagkamali ako ng bili dapat HP and not Philips" without declaring that i have already tested all the discs.  ;)

Offline antukin

• Collector
  • pieces of you
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 01:04 PM »
mga kapatid, may katanungan lang ako. i have these DVD-Rs with a CD-R King brand on the inner ring- these costs P7 each.  i think i have about a little more than 50% burning success on these super cheap discs. tanong ko lang, does this cheapness the reason kung bakit some of my unsuccessful burns have a ghost-like or cloud-like image on the discs? or is it because of the burner?

next time, i might try the P10-P12 discs, baka mas mataas ang success rate.

salamats

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 06:11 PM »
Bro joke only!  ;D i refer to the CDR-king SM Fairview branch. I really dont know nagbakasakali lang talaga ako to return that kasi once i tried returning some DVD-rs, the gold one costing i think 12 pesos each, much cheaper than the 25 pesos Philips and the saleslady refused.

Maybe for the Philips or more pricey discs pwede but not the discs costing around 12 pesos.

Maybe too, depende sa rason -- sabi ko kasi sa salesgirl "nagkamali ako ng bili dapat HP and not Philips" without declaring that i have already tested all the discs.  ;)

di ko lang alam.. e bakit sa ridata ko ayaw nila palitan.. no return policy.. sabi ko di gumagana sa writer ko
am using plextor px708a

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 06:14 PM »
mga kapatid, may katanungan lang ako. i have these DVD-Rs with a CD-R King brand on the inner ring- these costs P7 each.  i think i have about a little more than 50% burning success on these super cheap discs. tanong ko lang, does this cheapness the reason kung bakit some of my unsuccessful burns have a ghost-like or cloud-like image on the discs? or is it because of the burner?

next time, i might try the P10-P12 discs, baka mas mataas ang success rate.

salamats

ano baa writer mo?.. ung gamit ko na moon and star 2 palang nasira sa akin in 150 disc.. im using LG 4167B
warning! even using fortis 11 pesos dvd .. sablay din.. sa friend ko liteon dvd gamit.. sablay fortis.. di ko lang alam sa yo kung ok fortis..

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 04:05 AM »
Cheapness, IMHO, kasi parang mas pulido ang pagkagawa ng iba. though hindi batayan ang success rate kahit maganda ang burn side. Tanong ko lang, hindi mo ba napansin ang cloud-like image bago ka nag record?
There's something to learn everyday

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #162 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 06:48 AM »
Make sure your firmware is updated. If the generic disc isn't recognized by your writer (meaning it isn't listed in its internal write strategy database), then the drive will default to a generic strategy which will likely result in defective burns. Hacking your drive with firmware that forces it to burn at higher speeds on slow media only worsens the problem.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline antukin

• Collector
  • pieces of you
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Jan 04, 2006 at 12:26 PM »
maraming salamat sa mga replies.

i use two writers, liteon and asus. sa liteon, defective ang burn nya kapag may skip yung burn nya, yung may line along the disc. sa asus yung may cloud-like image.

and i check the discs, wala naman syang visible defects, bago ako magburn. before, i tried using P25 discs, 3 out 4 ang unsuccessful burns. that's the reason kung bakit cheapest ang kinukuha ko. kung unsuccessful man, hindi masyado mabigat sa loob. ehehehe. nagstart itong pag iwas ko sa expensive blanks noong panahon pa ng CDRs. mapa verbatim or philips, pareho lang ang success and failed burn rate sa P5 blank generic CDRs.

regarding sa firmware, hindi pa ako nag attempt mag upgrade. 1st, kasi successful naman sya sa TOP-DVD-R and Gold discs ng CDRKing, and not all of the blue discs i bought have unsuccessful burns. more than 50% ang success rate nya. 2nd, baka magkamali ako ng upgrade, hindi ko na mabalikan yung orig.

btw, i've read here that we should burn on a slowest speed whenever we use generic discs with more than 4G of space. sa experience ko, kapag naaasar or nagmamadali ako, i will use 4x. pareho lang ng success/unsuccessful burns with 2x or 1x.

salamats

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Jan 07, 2006 at 01:26 PM »
BENQ DVD-R

Manufacturer - Daxon Technology Inc.
Media code - DAXON0165S
Physical description -  Pearl white label with silver writing
Max. burn speed - 16x; Actually burned at 8x
Nero CD-DVD Speed ScanDisc Test - No read errors
Test platforms - Lite-On 167T and Pioneer 207 standalone

Notes -

Excellent quality.

Medyo matagal lang ang Lead-In writing (around 1 1/2 mins.).

Proprietary technologies: "Picfect" (claims to minimize PI value), and "DataGuard X" (claims to provide better data protection with Sterling Silver Reflective Layer, Enhanced Recording Layer, Anti-UV Strengthened Substrate, and Seamless Bonding Technology)
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2006 at 01:50 PM by barrister »

Offline stac

• Collector
  • #rm -rf /
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Jan 07, 2006 at 03:37 PM »
BENQ DVD-R

Manufacturer - Daxon Technology Inc.
Media code - DAXON0165S
Physical description -  Pearl white label with silver writing
Max. burn speed - 16x; Actually burned at 8x
Nero CD-DVD Speed ScanDisc Test - No read errors
Test platforms - Lite-On 167T and Pioneer 207 standalone

Notes -

Excellent quality.

Medyo matagal lang ang Lead-In writing (around 1 1/2 mins.).

Proprietary technologies: "Picfect" (claims to minimize PI value), and "DataGuard X" (claims to provide better data protection with Sterling Silver Reflective Layer, Enhanced Recording Layer, Anti-UV Strengthened Substrate, and Seamless Bonding Technology)

sir ask ko po sana kung ito po yung mga nabibili sa cdr-king. TIA  8)
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2006 at 03:37 PM by stac »

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Jan 09, 2006 at 09:24 AM »
sir ask ko po sana kung ito po yung mga nabibili sa cdr-king. TIA  8)

magkano ba tong benq na dvd-r.. baka 20 naman isa??

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 02:38 AM »
Hindi ito yung nasa CDR-King.

Samples lang ito. Bago pa lang. Retail price will be around P35.00.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2006 at 02:41 AM by barrister »

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 12:58 PM »
Hindi ito yung nasa CDR-King.

Samples lang ito. Bago pa lang. Retail price will be around P35.00.

yay!! mahal.. teka anong retail shop nyan? just in case.. where can we buy that?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Jan 10, 2006 at 03:21 PM »
Hindi pa masyadong kalat dahil bago pa lang,  pero aggressive ang distributor nito kaya expect to see it in many retail shops in the coming months.  In the meantime, if you're in the Marikina area, meron sa Scholar Enterprises, 187 Shoe Ave., Marikina City.

Hindi naman mahal dahil ususal price ito ng mga mid-quality branded discs. 
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2006 at 03:23 PM by barrister »

Offline ale828

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Jan 15, 2006 at 03:20 PM »
Guys i am looking for those 80mm DVD-R disc that you use in the new dvd camcorders. Mahal kasi yung mga original na dvd-r's. I am looking for something parang generic lang. I tried asking sa CDR king pero wala daw sila noon. Do you guys know of any place selling cheap 80mm DVD-R/RW?

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 02:47 PM »
DVD-R Media is highly dependent on the DVD-Writer. Ive had a 2yr relationship with a NuTech DVD-Writer, and it wasnt so sweet, put it this way I never bothered to write DVD discs, too many coasters no matter what kind of DVD-Rs I used.  Some Success never 100% reliable even with the expensive DVD-Rs.  It finally gave up on me, (couldnt read blank DVD-Rs anymore) so I ran off to buy a BENQ 1640

whoa I'm loving it now! I haven't stopped backing up files and videos yet! Got it yesterday, so far burned 13 DVD-Rs no Coasters yet!  The Beauty of this baby is that it has a self learning write strategy for unsupported DVDs and stores them on the eprom. Plus Solidburn and Overspeed.

Leaving Solidburn and Overspeed on, its a no brainer.  The drive will test the Disc to what speed it would be most efficient on.  Just leave nero on max speed (16x) and Solidburn and Overspeed will determine the proper speed and laser intensity depending on the disc. 

If your DVD can burn faster than its rated speed it will, and vise versa.  So if you have a poor quality DVD-R the drive will write with the most compatible write speed.  If you have a high quality disc, then it will burn faster than rated speed.  All insuring a quality burn.

Burned 11 Fortis DVD-Rs these are 4x discs and took quite a while to burn full DVD-Rs = Ave time 16 Min
Burned 2 Imation Titanium 8x discs and these were fast = Ave 6 Min (forgot how much these were, but definately be getting some more!)

I guess the Titatanums are good since they burned way faster than the Fortis.  I'll be testing the Philips DVD-R  8X later on some DVD rips and see how fast it will go.

I have yet to test it with the CDR-King Premium Discs (the green ones) and see how fast they go.

I believe I can throw any DVD-R/+R at this drive and it will still do a quality burn!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Feb 04, 2006 at 05:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing that very useful info, sir jpadua.  BenQ na ang next writer ko pag bumigay ang Lite-On ko. 

Offline jpadua

• DVD Addict
  • www.m2systech.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Feb 06, 2006 at 01:45 PM »
Update

Philips DVD-R 8x, Time about 7min for a 4.1GB data disc
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2006 at 02:23 PM by jpadua »

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Feb 07, 2006 at 10:14 AM »
ask ko lang.. meron pa bang moon and stars na DVD?

di na ako pumupunta ng labas eh.. kung meron saan pa ba meron?

Offline Lennon

• Collector
  • Free your mind ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Feb 08, 2006 at 06:41 PM »
ask ko lang.. meron pa bang moon and stars na DVD?

di na ako pumupunta ng labas eh.. kung meron saan pa ba meron?

kakabili ko lang nung weekend. sa CDR-King pa din.

Offline snapy

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Feb 09, 2006 at 09:13 AM »
kakabili ko lang nung weekend. sa CDR-King pa din.

ano pong branch ka bumili?
and how much ? 7 parin?
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2006 at 09:13 AM by snapy »

Offline Lennon

• Collector
  • Free your mind ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Feb 09, 2006 at 02:59 PM »
Alabang Town Center branch. Yup, 7 pa din.

Offline Lennon

• Collector
  • Free your mind ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Feb 09, 2006 at 03:02 PM »
Anybody here have the LG GSA-4167B burner? In your experience, what's the best DVD media to use with this drive? If possible, ones that are available in CDR King. I burn mostly data backup and DivX files onto the DVDs. I don't do much DVD authoring. Thanks.

Offline Blu-Ray

• Trade Count: (+163)
  • DVD Addict
  • More titles coming
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Feb 09, 2006 at 06:14 PM »
I have that model. As experienced, HP and Phillips (P20 each) are good brands but Ridata (P20 each) is poor one. For low cost media, etop is the best among brands I tested (out of stock). Premium (P11) and Azul (P14) are good for me but not good enough as HP and Phillips.

Star and moon is not quality media (Cyclic redundancy error when you write a data and other back-ups) Parang nag-back-up ka pero walang silbi. Pag ginamit mo na, useless din kc sira ang files na nai-burn. Don't know sa ibang burner.

Buti nalang meron ako etop na ginamit kong pang back-up sa almost 15thou mp3 files ko at demo disk namin hehehe  :D
More titles coming soon...