Author Topic: 1% THD of Pioneer Receivers  (Read 19291 times)

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1% THD of Pioneer Receivers
« Reply #180 on: Sep 23, 2004 at 04:16 AM »
ah...anyone remember the topic regarding vacuum tubes vs. SS? that was another action packed thread  ;D

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #181 on: Sep 23, 2004 at 07:19 PM »
Ako naman ay share ko lang yun alam ko sa THD. Gusto ko lang maging helpful yun information and syempre hindi misleading. Kaya balik THD na tayong lahat.  ;D

Offline audi0slave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Sep 23, 2004 at 07:46 PM »
balik THD tayo

master Jo, alin ang mas magandang specs dito:

Pioneer A-405 - 75wpc @ 8 ohms with a rated THD of 0.05% (DIN 1khz)

NAD C352 - 80wpc @ 8 ohms with a rated THD of 0.03% (20Hz-20kHz)

pareho kong naging amp yan bro...
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2004 at 07:58 PM by audi0slave »

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #183 on: Sep 23, 2004 at 08:57 PM »
whew, sarap basahin pala tong thread nato! kaya lang pabalik  nga lang ang basa ko hehehehehe :) so can you hear 1% THD? ;D.  ngayon ko lang din nalaman yung DIN at marami pang iba 8)
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2004 at 08:59 PM by edboy7 »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Sep 23, 2004 at 10:34 PM »
balik THD tayo

master Jo, alin ang mas magandang specs dito:

Pioneer A-405 - 75wpc @ 8 ohms with a rated THD of 0.05% (DIN 1khz)

NAD C352 - 80wpc @ 8 ohms with a rated THD of 0.03% (20Hz-20kHz)

pareho kong naging amp yan bro...

Am not sure kung paano kinuha yun sa NAD, but if it is the highest level up to 20Khz then it is the better amp since the Pioneer's THD levels should increase when the test frequency increases.

One thing that also affects THD the most when the frequency is taken into factor is the power supply. At low frequencies, THD can also rise if the psu cannot supply the required energy (joules/current), but at high frequencies, THD is more affected by the amps design, transistors gain-bandwidth product especially if transistor input (not opamp-based), and the amount of negative feedback. Remember the 2SC2922/2SA1216 ??? Those power transistors are there not just because of it's power handling capability, but it is there too to handle the drivers and input transistors speed.

Sorry kung mahaba na.  ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Sep 23, 2004 at 10:41 PM »
whew, sarap basahin pala tong thread nato! kaya lang pabalik  nga lang ang basa ko hehehehehe :) so can you hear 1% THD? ;D.  ngayon ko lang din nalaman yung DIN at marami pang iba 8)

This doesn't answer your question but.......

Not too long ago, I once had an SAE amp with a 1% THD at 280W and 10%THD at 340W both at 8 ohms load. A friend had the chance to listen and while reading the service manual asked me if ever I'm selling that he may be the first one I asked. I said, you want to buy a 1% THD amp? Why?

He aswered: "Bago ko siguro abutin yun 1%THD eh dumudugo na tenga ko!"

So it was mine no more......  ;D

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #186 on: Sep 24, 2004 at 02:53 PM »

Not too long ago, I once had an SAE amp with a 1% THD at 280W and 10%THD at 340W both at 8 ohms load. A friend had the chance to listen and while reading the service manual asked me if ever I'm selling that he may be the first one I asked. I said, you want to buy a 1% THD amp? Why?

He aswered: "Bago ko siguro abutin yun 1%THD eh dumudugo na tenga ko!"

This is xactly the case of the 1% THD of Pioneer at 100 watts ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2004 at 02:55 PM by jerix »
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Sep 24, 2004 at 02:57 PM »
masters, di po ba magkaiba rin ang 1% THD at 100W continuous sa 1% THD at 100W dynamic?  hehehe.... pampagulo lang.  ;D

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Sep 24, 2004 at 03:17 PM »
yup magkaiba yan, same as the rating of 100w continuous and 100w dynamic -- which some pioneer receivers are spec'd

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Sep 24, 2004 at 11:29 PM »
masters, di po ba magkaiba rin ang 1% THD at 100W continuous sa 1% THD at 100W dynamic?  hehehe.... pampagulo lang.  ;D

pag magulo dapat may gulaman yan.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

panibagong story yan sir.  ;)

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: Sep 25, 2004 at 09:34 AM »
additional tanong po .

what is the difference between Pioneer AVR models VSX-55TXi and VSX-AX5i ???

kasi yung 55TXis according to Pioneer's American website has the following specs :
Surround Power   100W x 7 (20HZ-20kHZ @ 8 ohm, 0.09% THD)   
    Stereo Power   100W x 2 (20HZ-20kHZ @ 6 ohm, 0.09% THD)

while the AX5i according to Pioneer's European website  has the following specs :
Power Output    VSX-AX5i-S   
Stereo (DIN)   100 W + 100 W (8 Ohm, 1% THD, 1 kHz)   

Surround Front    100 W + 100 W (8 Ohm, 1% THD, 1kHz)   

Surround Centre    100 W (8 Ohm, 1% THD, 1kHz)   

Rear (Surround)   100 W + 100 W (8 Ohm, 1% THD, 1kHz)   

Surround Back   100 W + 100 W (8 Ohm, 1 % THD, 1kHz)

are the two models one and the same ? nagkaiba lang ang designation because of the different regions thay are being sold to ?
and the spec's are different because of the requirements of the different regions ?

ty
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2004 at 09:39 AM by bayonic »

Offline arthurallanj

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Sep 25, 2004 at 09:35 AM »
Para sa mga naguluhan sa pampagulo ni Sir Akyat:

Continuous power means the output power that can be sustained at a certain period without the amp getting burned, Dynamic power is the output power that can be produced at an instant, but not sustained, since this may cause the amp to overheat. So, usually, dynamic power ratings are higher than continuous power ratings.

Si Sir Akyat talaga, lalong pinapasakit ang mga ulo ng mga nahihilo na(isa na ako dun). HEHEHE  ;D
Making the most of what I've got

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Sep 25, 2004 at 11:45 AM »
Para sa mga naguluhan sa pampagulo ni Sir Akyat:

Continuous power means the output power that can be sustained at a certain period without the amp getting burned, Dynamic power is the output power that can be produced at an instant, but not sustained, since this may cause the amp to overheat. So, usually, dynamic power ratings are higher than continuous power ratings.

dynamic power or dynamic headroom or headroom is basically the same item. Arthurallanj defined it already. All reputable amps have rms rating (based on recognized standard). Some amps indicate the headroom. Some dont. And this specs is somewhat tricky and should be noted by buyers (if they care about the specs).

translate the numbers in the real world listening, say for example the Pioneer with 100wpc.

a 100wpc amp with no headroom (0dB headroom) is the same as saying it has the same 100wpc as dynamic power

a 1dB headroom is the same as saying it has dynamic power of 1.26x100watts=126 watts/ch. this will sound approximately 10% louder as normal 100watt-0dB headroom amplifier    >:(   This will sound basically as loud as a 125wpc amp with no headroom.  ;D

a 2dB headroom is the same as saying it has dynamic power of 1.59x100watts=159 watts/ch. this will sound approximately 20% louder as normal 100watt-0dB headroom amplifier     :-\  . This will sound basically as loud as a 160wpc amp with no headroom.  ;D

a 3dB headroom is the same as saying it has dynamic power of 2.00x100watts=200 watts/ch. this will sound approximately 30% louder as normal 100watt-0dB headroom amplifier  :( . This will sound basically as loud as a 200wpc amp with no headroom.  ;D

a 10dB headroom is the same as saying it has dynamic power of 10.00x100watts=2000 watts/ch. this will sound twice (2.000 times) as loud as normal 100watt-0dB headroom amplifier.    ???   This will sound basically as loud as a 2000wpc amp with no headroom.  ;D

Now you are ready to site one of many possible reasons how come the likes of 50-watt NAD integrated amp can sound like a 100-watt amp.   ;)

Again, the above is one of the ways to determine a well-designed amp (objectively). It is entirely a different story to determine a well-sounding amp (subjectively).   ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2004 at 11:57 AM by aHobbit »
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Sep 25, 2004 at 12:26 PM »
additional tanong po .

what is the difference between Pioneer AVR models VSX-55TXi and VSX-AX5i ???

kasi yung 55TXis according to Pioneer's American website has the following specs :
Surround Power   100W x 7 (20HZ-20kHZ @ 8 ohm, 0.09% THD)   
    Stereo Power   100W x 2 (20HZ-20kHZ @ 6 ohm, 0.09% THD)

while the AX5i according to Pioneer's European website  has the following specs :
Power Output    VSX-AX5i-S   
Stereo (DIN)   100 W + 100 W (8 Ohm, 1% THD, 1 kHz)   

Surround Front    100 W + 100 W (8 Ohm, 1% THD, 1kHz)   

Surround Centre    100 W (8 Ohm, 1% THD, 1kHz)   

Rear (Surround)   100 W + 100 W (8 Ohm, 1% THD, 1kHz)   

Surround Back   100 W + 100 W (8 Ohm, 1 % THD, 1kHz)

are the two models one and the same ? nagkaiba lang ang designation because of the different regions thay are being sold to ?
and the spec's are different because of the requirements of the different regions ?

ty

They are probably the same model, with different model number to diferentiate the region it is being sold to.

I have my doubt if they have different specifications. But I am not saying the published specs are incorrect.

The VSX-TX55i is measured using the US FTC. The AX5i using the DIN method. But the same manufacturer Pioneer declared the specs sheet.

If you go back to the answer of Pioneer to Jerix in the beginning of this thread, you will note the reply of the rep - ... it talks about the condition it complied with. Not that when you measured Pioneer you will get 100W at 1%THD as in the case of Jerix gear. I do not interpret the reply as such.

My interpretation is this: Under the DIN rule, Pioneer is just declaring that Jerix gear is guaranteed to comply up to 100watts per channel under the DIN standard at 1KHz reference. Not that Jerix gear will have 1%THD at 100watts at 1KHz. If you will actually be measuring (as the rep continues), you will be surprise to have less then 0.1% at 100wpc not only at 1KHz.

Thus, (if in case my assumption is correct that the 2 above models are the same), The spec sheet discusses the same thing:

FTC
Under the FTC regulation, the AX5i is guaranteed to have 100watts with xx THD at 20-20k Hz.

DIN
Under the DIN regulation, the AX5i is guranteed to have 100 watts.

I will put it in a different way so it could be understood.
   FTC     : Will the model be able to have 100watts at 20-20k Hz with 0.09%THD?
   Pioneer: YES
   DIN      : Will the model be able to have 100watts at 1k Hz with 1%THD?
   Pioneer: YES

I have appreciated the fact that these manufacturers do have design spec sheet before they make amps. This design sheet is usually the one get published. But material choices in building the actual amps do not really represents the exact values as provided for by the design spec sheet. Thus the design spec sheet usually provides the minimum, whereas the actual amp specs, can have higher rating. Thus, it is normal to see web site like hometheater.com publishing actual measurement made showing higher values than what has been specified by the manufacturer (I am speaking usually based on stereo mode - 2 channels driven).

So let's sum up.

Which one of the above is the actual measurement of the model?   ???

neither!!!  ;D

It is highly probable that the above model is more than 100watts per channel at 0.09%THD from 10-50k HZ.   :). My Yamaha 630 is 75wpc (design spec), but pumps 90wpc (actual spec-stereo).

Tagal naman ng bonus!   :D
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2004 at 12:47 PM by aHobbit »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 10:30 AM »

The spec  is a standard, it is not for marketing purposes.

The spec is not a standard, the specs follow a standard - DIN, JETA, EIA, FTC, ek ek.

Specs can and are used for marketing purposes. 

The amplifer section of the 7.2 Onkyo receiver TXSD989, flagship reciever as of 2000-2001 had a rating of 200watts front (L and R). 200watts center, 200watts rear(& and R) and 200watts surround (L and R) as published in their marketing brochures.  Apparently DIN rated at 1Khz.  I still have a copy of that.  WOW, a total of 1400 watts!! Any unknowing customer would be very impressed.  But in that same brochure is shown the back of the receiver. A little magnification will reveal the electrical power consumption of only 735watts.   ???  Not many customer will bother to look.  He'll go home thinking he's got a 200wpc receiver.  Where on earth will that receiver ever get the additional 665 watts, plus the heat dissipated. 

« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2004 at 10:50 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 10:59 AM »

To be frank, unless you resort to some other means to know, these important details, like this THD level can only be seen on the equipment's manual and most establishment dont usually let you open the plastic sealed manual unless u assure them to buy the product. Sometimes the thing "READ FIRST BEFORE YOU BUY" which concerns knowing all the specs of the product is more often not really close to being real.  So most often we just have to rely on the limited info-- something like "120 w RMS x 6," which in the first place is true but actually subject to conditions.

Actual performance of the gear i think is best if you have time to audition. the problem is, only few of us can actually discern the quality of the gear in a very limited time. The likes of Bro Kimpao can discern the goodness of the audio amp in just the first 5 notes of the
music, because i believe he is well-initiated. ;) -- but how many in our population is like him?

Is 1% THD audible? -- to some ears YES ... but that 1 % THD is only true if u pump a 100 power from the amp, at least based on the conditions being discussed here. Most of us, i believe has yet to reach that level of listening - so that the 1% THD is actually a monster only under a certain condition.--  :)

True.  You can never test rated power conditions on the salesfloor.  I doubt if salespeople  will even allow you to bring their wares to the full volume mark.. Good luck.  So that 1% THD is just that - a paper figure.  But one that totally renders the unit disadvantaged when compared to another receiver of the same numerically equivalent power rating, but taken at a more audiophile grade THD level. 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 11:07 AM »

It is not even possible to discern a 3% THD compared with a 0.5% THD.  Like I said in my previous posts, the normal comfortable listening levels of around 80db in a room rarely exceeds 5watts per channel.  The issue behind the 1% THD is entirely on the apparent compulsion of manufacturers to extract the highest possible numerical figure for their power rating, so that rather than measure at audiophile grade levels of below 0.1% THD, they measure at 1% or even 10%, the better to get higher figures that will impress unwary customers.  Those figures have NOTHING to do with your auditioning or listening enjoyment.   The marketing hype behind such measurement practice is so obvious.

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 01:01 PM »
What I think some of us miss here is the fact that since audio/HT listening is a very subjective topic, some groundwork must be layed out. Nobody here questions the fact that in the end, it would still be your preference that would be followed. But because of the fact that not everybody has a trained ear, it would be best that novices like me would be armed with knowledge, so that, at least, I know what I'm getting. A friend could tell me he has a 500w amp, but he doesn't know it has a 10% THD, and I have a 100w amp and if I didn't know about THDs I might think that his amp is more powerful than mine, mine might have lower THDs at the same rating.  Before, I used to think that my 430 can really output 100w per channel w/o a hitch, but now that I know of THDs, I base my readings also on those other data. 1%THD is 1% THD no matter what, and that is a fact. Everybody else can argue all day that it may or may not affect their listening. 100w @ 10% THD is not attractive to me these days, not like before that I didn't understand about them. So, again, these are just tools to help anybody decide, if you wanna use it or not, is your decision. Let's not hold others back when they try to share what they know, let us decide if that's important or not.

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #198 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 01:09 PM »
Quote from: aHobbit
If you go back to the answer of Pioneer to Jerix in the beginning of this thread, you will note the reply of the rep - ... it talks about the condition it complied with. Not that when you measured Pioneer you will get 100W at 1%THD as in the case of Jerix gear. I do not interpret the reply as such.

My interpretation is this: Under the DIN rule, Pioneer is just declaring that Jerix gear is guaranteed to comply up to 100watts per channel under the DIN standard at 1KHz reference. Not that Jerix gear will have 1%THD at 100watts at 1KHz. If you will actually be measuring (as the rep continues), you will be surprise to have less then 0.1% at 100wpc not only at 1KHz.

I fully agree with this interpretation.
I just cannot see were the marketing hype is.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 01:33 PM »
In this hobby anyone is free to make their interpretation, right or wrong.  IT is so obvious what the Pioneer rep stated at the start of the article.  Read it again.  He said the power measurement was done at 1% THD. And it could very well be that the receiver has a 0.09% THD at 90 watts.  It is so obvious that the measurement was made in order to get a higher power rating.  Why not just advertise at as a 90wpc receiver then?  If that's not marketing hype to make the receiver enter the the 100watt club, you have so much to learn about marketing. 

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 02:34 PM »
What I think some of us miss here is the fact that since audio/HT listening is a very subjective topic, some groundwork must be layed out. Nobody here questions the fact that in the end, it would still be your preference that would be followed. But because of the fact that not everybody has a trained ear, it would be best that novices like me would be armed with knowledge, so that, at least, I know what I'm getting. A friend could tell me he has a 500w amp, but he doesn't know it has a 10% THD, and I have a 100w amp and if I didn't know about THDs I might think that his amp is more powerful than mine, mine might have lower THDs at the same rating.  Before, I used to think that my 430 can really output 100w per channel w/o a hitch, but now that I know of THDs, I base my readings also on those other data. 1%THD is 1% THD no matter what, and that is a fact. Everybody else can argue all day that it may or may not affect their listening. 100w @ 10% THD is not attractive to me these days, not like before that I didn't understand about them. So, again, these are just tools to help anybody decide, if you wanna use it or not, is your decision. Let's not hold others back when they try to share what they know, let us decide if that's important or not.

Glad to know someone has some sense to discern the obvious.  Understanding  much of the hype that attends most power ratings of mass market gears can aid anyone to EXPECT only what the gear of his choice can deliver.  Not more.  And all this rationalization that they don't hear this or that THDs, or that they rerely ever reach the 100watt levels, are entirely beside the point.  They won't change the fact that the manufacturer of these products over-hype the specs of their gears in order to gain market patronage. 

Many unknowing consumers are easily decieved by such over-hyped power ratings like the PMPO in HTIBs.  WOW 10,000 PMPO of music!!! ???  They go home fully expecting their new gears to blast the neighbors but only to be disappointed that they can't sound any louder than a decent set-up conservatively rated at even just 120watts per channel.  And they will forever wonder why. 

Many receivers fall into this same hype. They don't shout PMPO, but their style is just as deceptive. On the surface, they conform to and quote DIN and JETA standards that require only power measurements at 1Khz and some at 4ohm loads.  Nothing of the FTC stringent requirements.  Someone in another forum rightly opined that nobody listens to 1kz.  True, but that is also beside the point.  The power numbers derived when measuring at 1khz can be 50% higher as when measured at FULL 20khz bandwidth.   Hence, hiding behind such lenient standards, the large power numbers extracted have their marketing hype value to attract unwary customers who for the msot part, are impressed by larger power numbers.

In a similar fashion, measuring at a higher THD level will yield a higher power  rating.  And worst, the specs indicate a THD rating at 1khz.  Wow, that's a double whammy!! Not only will the measurement yield a higher power figure at 1khz, but you up the ante when you measure it both at 1khz and at 1%THD.   

And the final insult to this ignominy, they will sell a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 channel receiver but rate it only in STEREO MODE.  Some with only ONE channel driven.  That's just fine really.  Except that on the salesfloor, the salesguy will banner a 100wpc 5.1 receiver as having 100watts PER channel.  Never mind if the customer will actually get less as the rating was made with only one channel driven or in stereo.  It really isn't a deliberate deception.  Consumers just have to read the finer prints on the specification table and understand their implications.   But for those who don't, the effect is the same:  false expectation. 

Well, not really the final insult.  Here's the final.  Notwithstanding all those lax measurement conditions, one look at the electrical power consumption will tell you the extent of the marketing hype the vendor is willing to foist on the unwary customer.    This particular unit can be blatant enough to advertise 100w + 100w +  ek, ek on its 7.1 channels.  That's a whooping 700 watts of output power.  Does the customer expect all those watts at home?  HE should, if he wants to.   But he won't get them cause the receiver can't.   Check the power consumption and it's a measly 300 watts or so.   Where o where will the gear get the additional power?   

People can enjoy their gears measured under such conditions and I couldn't give a hoot.  Afterll people can be satistified listening to MP3s on their cellphones and I wouldn't quesiton that as it is a personal subjective experience in this hobby.  But I can question anything that is published on paper to describe a product.  Especially, if what is published doesn't square with the laws of physics or with the decency I can only find in conservative rating.  And I was simply pointing out that there are overhyped products and there are conservatively rated products that have better claims to my buying preference.  If, after learning all this, people still prefer overhyped produts, be my guest.

THD ratings are just one of those things to consider when buying a receiver of amplifier.  On their  own,  they don't necessarily tell you how good an amp will sound.  A 1% or 10% THD won't tell you how good or bad an amp sounds unless they are driven at full power.  But for me, after seeing almost everything in this hobby, such specifications reveal the marketing  eagerness with which the manufacturer would like to foist a promise that can never be fulfilled on the unsuspecting. And his wanton abandon of the conservatism that accompanies many other specficitions in other brands that have found respect among serious audiophiles. 

But, then again, we're in mass market receiver territory where the battlefield is often fought on who's got the higher numbers.  Separates, which still practice conservative rating, may be entirely on a different plane.  They don't compete as fiercely as among receivers who often have to rely on creative selling techniques to thrive, and overhyping specs is just one of them.  Much of their selling is geared towards niche marketing.  So maybe my comparisons are strained.  So for those who enjoy overhyped products, I really have no quarel with them.  This hobby is open to anyone of whatever persuasion. 
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2004 at 02:41 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 03:04 PM »
Quote from: av_phile1
It is so obvious that the measurement was made in order to get a higher power rating.  Why not just advertise at as a 90wpc receiver then?  If that's not marketing hype to make the receiver enter the the 100watt club

This where we differ. I believe that the power measurement was made to comply with DIN, so that Pioneer can sell their amps/receivers in some parts of Europe. The power measurement spec was qouted from the manual not the ads.

You introduced marketing to this thread.

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 03:21 PM »
Sabi ng Pioneer:

Anytime you see a power rating that says “x watts @ 1 kHz,” look out.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/Files/14022.pdf

Ano ang marketing hype dito?

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 03:27 PM »

IT is so obvious what the Pioneer rep stated at the start of the article.  Read it again.  He said the power measurement was done at 1% THD. And it could very well be that the receiver has a 0.09% THD at 90 watts.  It is so obvious that the measurement was made in order to get a higher power rating.  Why not just advertise at as a 90wpc receiver then?  If that's not marketing hype to make the receiver enter the the 100watt club, you have so much to learn about marketing. 

I borrowed words  :-[ : In this hobby anyone is free to make their interpretation (including yours above) , right or wrong.   ;D

There is another thread for 5-channel measurement.  :-X  That is the appropriate thread for this different topic that can also be a never-ending cycle of discussion.

« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2004 at 03:36 PM by aHobbit »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 04:01 PM »
Sabi ng Pioneer:

Anytime you see a power rating that says “x watts @ 1 kHz,” look out.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/Files/14022.pdf

Ano ang marketing hype dito?

I have nothing against the first parts of that aritcle.  I just hope every receiver  that Pioneer sells has such a section appended to it.  But its ramblings on distortion doesn't clairfy and gives the impression that it's OK to have high THDs as it's "relationship to real world listening is not always clear."

And they're not making it any clearer.  But that's is beside the point.  I am not debating on whether 1% THD is audible or not. Or if it matters.   I couldn't give a hoot if it's heard by some and not by others.  I certainly will not patronize any product that has shameless amounts of it where they rate their power.

The point is simple.  You measure  your RMS voltage at a higher THD level and you get higher power ratings by computation.  The higher the power you can extract but within so and so standards, you are being creative in  describing your product.  Even higher when you measure just at 1khz.  All the better to give the impression to unwary customers that your product is muscled. When it is not.  If that's not marketing hype for you, I couldn't care less. 

If you want to be defensive about your beloved pioneer 811s product, go ahead, I expect nothing less from you.  It won't change the fact that at 1% THD, it gets a higher power rating than it should.  If that's just OK with you, I have no quarel with that. 
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2004 at 04:03 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 04:53 PM »

If you want to be defensive about your beloved pioneer 811s product 

My point is also simple and you failed to see it. ???

Btw, i do not own a pioneer 811s. ;)

Offline RU9

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 05:35 PM »

It won't change the fact that at 1% THD, it gets a higher power rating than it should.  If that's just OK with you, I have no quarel with that. 

Sorry, if this becomes  repetitive but for the sake of clarity:

Will Pioneer be able to sell their amplifiers/receivers legally in European countries where DIN applies, if it specifies 0.09% THD at 90 watts?

What if it specifies x watts @ 1 kHz?

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 06:24 PM »
in fairness to the brand and model being mentioned in this thread, let's all take notice of the fact that Pioneer is not the only manufacturer that discloses output power at 1% THD, and that the VSX-D811 is not the only receiver model that has disclosed specs at 1% THD.

i search google for "1% THD receiver" and i see pioneer, kenwood, sony, yamaha, panasonic.... even "10% THD" yields results.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #208 on: Sep 30, 2004 at 08:11 AM »

If you want to be defensive about your beloved pioneer 811s product, go ahead, I expect nothing less from you.  It won't change the fact that at 1% THD, it gets a higher power rating than it should.  If that's just OK with you, I have no quarel with that. 

I started this thread and i dont intend to defend the PIONEER product i own and maybe all the other audio equipments i have. In fact i also own a Denon and a Yamaha. My only intention is really to understand this 1% THD issue which have been frequently mentioned in many of the threads here. --  ;)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline arthurallanj

• DVD Guru
  • Good Begets Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Sep 30, 2004 at 10:30 AM »
What I think Sir AV is saying regarding hyping, is that in order for some manufacturers to post higher power ratings, they tend to give less consideration to THDs. So let's not call it hyping, let's call it marketing technique. They may not be lying, but they certainly wouldn't mind if you never understood what that THD meant. For the less informed, this may seem like deception when they do find out and understand those specs. It would be better, for me and Sir AV I think at least, if manufacturers observe some sort of code/regulation or understanding not to post specs that have THD's higher than 0.1%. This would definitely make the playing field more fair and give rise to better performing amps and reveal the not so good performing ones. Remember the Tide commercial about the lumpia? Mas malaki nga yung isa at the same price but konti ang laman. Parang detergent na may chalk? I hope this finally clarifies where Sir AV is getting at. He's just arming everybody with knowledge that may help someday.