Author Topic: Speaker Modification / Upgrade  (Read 78390 times)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Speaker Modification / Upgrade
« Reply #240 on: Apr 20, 2011 at 02:15 PM »
transition from electros to films is in itself a definite improvement...
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline saladmaster

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #241 on: Apr 20, 2011 at 02:19 PM »
 im like :-\ then  ::) so on  :o  ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: Apr 20, 2011 at 02:25 PM »
im like :-\ then  ::) so on  :o  ;D

good man yourself...... ;D ;D ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline saladmaster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Apr 20, 2011 at 02:49 PM »
good man yourself...... ;D ;D ;D

maybe ill try the more expensive caps and see where it goes... but for now im  8)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #244 on: Apr 20, 2011 at 02:59 PM »
Bro I suggest you experiment with chokes. Although this path is less travelled I believe it gives more gain.

Offline saladmaster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Apr 20, 2011 at 03:02 PM »
Bro I suggest you experiment with chokes. Although this path is less travelled I believe it gives more gain.

sure... and again thanks guys for the very informative course.... ;)

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Apr 21, 2011 at 06:59 AM »
In all honesty and based on specifications, the best caps there are in this order - teflons, polycarbonate, glass, polystyrene, silver mica, polypropelene, polyester etc. However, making best use and having best results audio wise is maybe tricky. This is the very reason why Mundorfs, Auricaps etc are able to have some believe they have "best" results even if they are not using the best caps around. As such, some people have taken this path. Just buy Mundorfs, Auricaps etc to get "best" results. Why spend time experimenting on caps with best specification if you cannot guarantee good audio performance or "proven" audio performance? How is it that these teflons, glass, silver mica etc caps can be used for UHF and mission critical applications such as space applications, telecoms, industrial etc are not that popular for audio application where BW is a mere 20KHz?

As such, I think it is a challenge for technically minded people to make inroads on the mindset of some people who have become "enslaved" with this mentality. I hope these technically minded people can make good contributions and show easy ways to make the most out of these teflons, glass, silver mica etc.

I am not putting any company down, just trying to make some sense why some very good caps are not that popular in audio. Maybe these companies can also invest in R & D to make use of these caps. I think it will be good for all of us.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2011 at 07:06 AM by rascal101 »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Apr 21, 2011 at 07:11 AM »
as i have time and again said in several threads, "the less you know about electronics or things electrical, the more likely you are going to fall for these hypes and myths, in the same token, the more you know about electronics and things electrical and you are making a living out of it, the more you will go out of your way to propagate these myths..."

there are suckers born every minute.....let the people enjoy their money, life is short..... ;D ;D ;D

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Apr 21, 2011 at 07:27 AM »
Very well said  ;D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Apr 21, 2011 at 07:31 AM »
Maybe these companies can also invest in R & D to make use of these caps.

but that costs money.....whereas, capitalising on the ignorance of many costs nothing and bring in handsome profits...... ;D

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Apr 21, 2011 at 07:33 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #251 on: Apr 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM »
as i have time and again said in several threads, "the less you know about electronics or things electrical, the more likely you are going to fall for these hypes and myths, in the same token, the more you know about electronics and things electrical and you are making a living out of it, the more you will go out of your way to propagate these myths..."

there are suckers born every minute.....let the people enjoy their money, life is short..... ;D ;D ;D

Like  ;)

Offline Digities

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Apr 22, 2011 at 06:10 PM »
Like  ;)

you like that ? yet you were so amazed at the diffference in my bookshelf titus when you heard it after a very minor tweak.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 06:38 AM »
nothing compares to the joy of diy'ing.......walang katapat na halaga yan....

now what happens to your speakers when you do capacitor tweaks?

you alter the frequency response......

the response is no longer the way it was originally...

and that is what you hear as an improvement, i will call it a "change"....

just so you have an idea.... a 1uf cap so labeled, can in reality be a 0.9 or a 1.1 cap if tolerance is 10%...this alone produces shifts in frequency response.....

so go ahead and change your caps if that will make you feel better, after all ikaw naman ang gagamit nyan, it is your right to feel good...... ;)

the same can be said about coil tweaks, the higher the gage of the wires used, the lower the losses....

power instead of being dissipated as heat on the coils are delivered to the voice coil instead and so more electrical power is available for conversion to sound...

the speaker being a "transducer"converts electrical energy from the amplifier to "acoustic" energy"

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 07:17 AM »
Yes. DIY ... it's all in your hands.

For those who like to experience full control ... kabit ... tanggal ... deposit ... withdraw  ;D ;D ;D

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 07:34 AM »
Kung may perang pambili ng capacitor at nagandahan sa pagbabago ng tunog, bakit hindi ;D. Hindi natin mapipigilan ang tao kung saan siya masaya ;D.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #256 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 07:43 AM »
you like that ? yet you were so amazed at the diffference in my bookshelf titus when you heard it after a very minor tweak.

Like ko dahil bagay sa isang kagaya ko na walang pera at konti lang ang kaalaman sa technical aspects bout electronics BUT Like ko din yung speakers mo syempre. Magulo ba? Hindi. The thing is, kung may pera lang din ako gusto ko rin malaman ang epekto at ins and outs ng electronics maging myth man o katotohanan pero since wala nga akong pera so i'm good. Kuntento na ako sa kung ano ang meron ang nakayanan kong speakers. Kita mo nga puro preowned lang speakers ko at so fortunate na sa akin mo pinasa ang speakers mo.  ;)

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 11:05 AM »
cause and effect yan....there is a reason for doing the things that we do when it comes to DIY......

there are those who do tweaks without any clue as to what they are doing.......nakarinig lang na mahusay yung capcitor tweaks nakigaya na, tapos ipamamalita pa na maganda yung tweak.....pero tanugnin mo kung paano at bakit kinalilangan na palitan yung piyesa, blank stares lang ang mapapala mo....

meron akong kaibigan na mapera......malaki na natipid nya, dahil napigilan ko na gumastos ng gumastos......

but in the end hindi naman tayo parepareho, yung maganda sa akin maaring pangit sa iba....

kaya ako, hindi ko pupurihin yung mga gawa ko, hayaan kong yung ibang makakarinig ang magdecide kung gusto nila o hindi yung narinig nila......

okey na ko 'ron.... ;D ;D ;D

Happy Easter!!!!!!

Offline saladmaster

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 11:14 AM »
cause and effect yan....there is a reason for doing the things that we do when it comes to DIY......

there are those who do tweaks without any clue as to what they are doing.......nakarinig lang na mahusay yung capcitor tweaks nakigaya na, tapos ipamamalita pa na maganda yung tweak.....pero tanugnin mo kung paano at bakit kinalilangan na palitan yung piyesa, blank stares lang ang mapapala mo....

meron akong kaibigan na mapera......malaki na natipid nya, dahil napigilan ko na gumastos ng gumastos......

but in the end hindi naman tayo parepareho, yung maganda sa akin maaring pangit sa iba....

kaya ako, hindi ko pupurihin yung mga gawa ko, hayaan kong yung ibang makakarinig ang magdecide kung gusto nila o hindi yung narinig nila......

okey na ko 'ron.... ;D ;D ;D

Happy Easter!!!!!!

Exactly!

were so fortunate that this guys exist here... kung hindi baka kung ano ano ng mamahaling tweak ang ginawa and in the end mas mahal pa ang tweak kesa sa speaker itself...

i love diy-ing, specialy kapag nadinig mona yung ginawa mo... fulfilling... ;) sa halagang 200pesos me nakita kang improvement at napasaya ng ginawa mo...ok na yun...

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM »
Sa akin naman pinapa-try ko sa mga kaibigan ko iyung mga tweaks na ginawa ko para ma-validate iyung narinig ko. Mas mabuti iyung maraming tenga nakarinig kesa ikaw lang mag-isa. Kung naging ok sa kanila eh di marami kayong masaya.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #260 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 11:35 AM »
si mang gerry ang pang masa. aerovox 2uf oil caps, 100pesos@. afaik last month medyo marami pa siya
for other caps, just call him, very nice guy very easy to deal with.

oh btw he is THE MAN, or used to be, when it comes to cheap tubes..12ax7 12au7 6sn7 etc, baka nga nabili niyo ng mahal galing din sa kanya...o sa spin  ;D ::)

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM »
si mang gerry ang pang masa. aerovox 2uf oil caps, 100pesos@. afaik last month medyo marami pa siya
for other caps, just call him, very nice guy very easy to deal with.

oh btw he is THE MAN, or used to be, when it comes to cheap tubes..12ax7 12au7 6sn7 etc, baka nga nabili niyo ng mahal galing din sa kanya...o sa spin  ;D ::)

speaking of mang gerry, i still have 20pcs of those wima mkp 4.7ufd/250 volt caps waiting to get used.....

sssshhhh...wag masyadong maingay!!! baka ma-offend yung mga bumile kay mang gerry ng mura tapos binenta ng mahal.......ganyan talaga ang negosyo.....law of supply and demand yan........

kaya nga hinihimok ko syang magbuo ng tube amps, kaysa magbenta ng tubes....

nabigyan ko na rin ng lecture sa paggawa ng power transformers, 

Gerry is the man....

Offline edrel sison

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #262 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 01:17 PM »
tony magandang cathode follower caps yang 4.7uf na wima. i have many of those.
seryoso usapan pag capacitors ang topic.. ;D ;D
those 20uf 150VAC caps by aerovox sounds ok too.

one just need to look closer when looking for the right capacitors. there are many alternatives out there that would cost cheaper than mainstream.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 01:21 PM »
edrel, meron ka na palang end bells na nakatayo, nakita ko sa gawa ni alex na pp el84, ano size ng traffo nya?

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #264 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 03:58 PM »
speaking of mang gerry, i still have 20pcs of those wima mkp 4.7ufd/250 volt caps waiting to get used.....

sssshhhh...wag masyadong maingay!!! baka ma-offend yung mga bumile kay mang gerry ng mura tapos binenta ng mahal.......ganyan talaga ang negosyo.....law of supply and demand yan........

kaya nga hinihimok ko syang magbuo ng tube amps, kaysa magbenta ng tubes....

nabigyan ko na rin ng lecture sa paggawa ng power transformers, 

Gerry is the man....

oonga pala, yung mga pulang wima, may dalawa pa yata ako dito hehehe

kaya nga ako pag may nagtatanong, pinapadirecho ko kay mang gerry, wala na middleman.  ;D

pag marami ang supply, ipitin para magkaroon ng demand? me ganun?  maitanong nga kay mareng winnie M. ,,,baka soplahin ako ni MW, "kailangan pa ba imemorize yan?" ;D

Offline edrel sison

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #265 on: Apr 23, 2011 at 06:58 PM »
tony that was an EI76(1 inch). I have the 1 1/8, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inch upright covers. Each set comes with corresponding moulded insulators. Endbell finish is glossy black powder coat. Soon chrome plated finish will be available.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Apr 24, 2011 at 09:40 AM »

oonga pala, yung mga pulang wima, may dalawa pa yata ako dito hehehe

kaya nga ako pag may nagtatanong, pinapadirecho ko kay mang gerry, wala na middleman.  ;D

pag marami ang supply, ipitin para magkaroon ng demand? me ganun?  maitanong nga kay mareng winnie M. ,,,baka soplahin ako ni MW, "kailangan pa ba imemorize yan?" ;D

paano ba yan? me nabile ako kay gery na tubes na tig 250 pesos, pero ng tinignan ko sa web......http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-6386.html

buti na lang hindi pang audio yung tube.... :D

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: Apr 24, 2011 at 09:41 AM »
tony that was an EI76(1 inch). I have the 1 1/8, 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inch upright covers. Each set comes with corresponding moulded insulators. Endbell finish is glossy black powder coat. Soon chrome plated finish will be available.

edrel, kuha ako nyan....

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Apr 24, 2011 at 11:31 AM »
paano ba yan? me nabile ako kay gery na tubes na tig 250 pesos, pero ng tinignan ko sa web......http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-6386.html

buti na lang hindi pang audio yung tube.... :D

Napansin ko lang pala sa mga naka-auction na bagay sa internet. Gawi noong iba na hayaan o sinasabihan ang mga kaibigan nila na mag-post ng mag-post para tumaas iyung presyo ng tinitinda nila. Nagmumukhang may demand pero sa katotohanan artificial demand lang pala. Tsk tsk tsk

Offline sonnysin168

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Apr 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM »
i bought a pair of LSA1 bookshelfs, the standard model because I really can't afford the Signature model. Main difference between the two models are: capacitors (Signatures have the auricaps) and natural lamb wool damping material for the Signatures. Cost difference between the models is USD 500. The Signatures also have mills resistors and high quality internal wiring. I listened to the Standard model (w/ stock caps) for roughly 100 hours and when I had the chance to buy 2 pairs of 2.2uf and 4.0uf auricaps, which are not really that expensive, I replaced the polyester caps that came in with Standard model because I want those speakers to go up the next level. I like the stock sound but change in caps will make the sound better IMO. After thorough run-in, I'm really satisfied and I can say that I will never go back to the old sound again.

Was the effort and extra expense justified? A big yes!
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011 at 01:26 PM by sonnysin168 »