Author Topic: LG DK9934N DivX-capable player  (Read 17852 times)

Offline Battousai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
LG DK9934N DivX-capable player
« on: Aug 04, 2005 at 08:23 PM »
This DVD player by LG( model DK9934N) is a DivX-certified(?) DVD player that retails for PhP4,499 at Abensons and a friend of mine says that ranged against the Fukuda, this LG player reads the discs he used for testing it, faster.

I haven't seen any review or pics of it on the web, even in LG's RP website. Maybe it has a different model# abroad, but I'm really planning to get one of this to replace my almost 6(?) year old generic player.

So, anyone else have this player already? Your inputs would be very much appreciated. :)

Mods, kung may thread na about this player, kindly lock this one. Thanks po.

Oh, sabi nung tiga-Abenson, it was originally priced PhP4,999.00 pero tinanong ko kung ma-discountan pa sya, at sabi nya "depende sa mood" ng manager or whatever, as long as cash daw. Add an additional PhP898 and ma-extend warranty nya to 3 years.

It's not region-free out of the box, pero nagagawang region-free naman yun.

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2005 at 09:47 PM by Battousai »

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: LG DK9934 DivX-capable player
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2005 at 07:03 AM »

The DK-9934p isn't listed in the local LG site yet but it's profiled in the Singapore catalog.  Visit the site for more details.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2005 at 07:03 AM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline Bluebeard

• Collector
  • Go4it
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2005 at 07:36 AM »
The local LG model available here is DK9934N not DK9934P; bought mine at SM Rockwell for 4,495.
Difference between the 2 models is the N model runs DVD +/- R RW and is region free. Also it has 5.1 channel outs.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2005 at 08:02 AM »
How's the performance? Have you tested its DivX capabilities?

Offline Bluebeard

• Collector
  • Go4it
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2005 at 11:52 AM »
How's the performance? Have you tested its DivX capabilities?

Still burning some divx files for testing. Just bought the unit last sunday. I will post here results.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
Re: LG DK9934N DivX-capable player
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2005 at 09:49 PM »
Edited the title so that the real model# DK9934N is now shown. Isa pa, I asked the Abenson's Cubao salesperson for a discount, and they were able to quote me a price of, If I remember it right: PhP4,360(?) I think it was a 3% discount.  Thing is, the same salesperson was giving me the crappy "kailangan pa po pa-service para maging region free" gimik. Oh puhleez!!! I mentioned na ibang stores do it for free, pero they said bawal na raw yun sa kanila at matatanggal daw sila sa trabaho at nagagalit daw tiga-LG.  ::) One thing about these people is that they aren't often too knowledgeable on their items. He keeps insisting that di pa available divx dito and tells me to buy the SONY "divx" player. I said nada-download lang naman sa internet yung divx movies. LOL.

Offline mm2002

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2005 at 11:30 PM »
I got my LG DK9934N last july 19 at Abenson Quad, i brought some fresh burn DIVX movie clips that i downloaded at DIVX.com (try nyo yung The last man standing DIVX HighDef super linaw) and it runs without any problem, mabilis sya bumasa, its Region 3 lock but the salesman offer me to unlock it free of charge kanya iniwan ko na lang yung DIVX cd ko sa kany for Demo.

So far so good i already watched "LOST" DIVX downloaded from the internet and tested "REVELATION" the tv series starring bill pullman.  I tested the player on 28" Toshiba HD Flat widescreen japan made using S video,  sa  old bazooka widescreen toshiba semiflat jap surplus using S video again  and on my 34" 4:3 toshiba conventional tv using component video input maganda pa rin kulay nya on both DVDs and DIVX movies. Menu is simple and easy to access. 

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2005 at 12:04 AM »
Thanks for the inputs on your player mm2002.
Now I really gotta get me one na. Hehehe.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2005 at 07:21 AM »
When playing Last Man Standing, can the LG cycle through the 3 audio and subtitle tracks?

Offline mm2002

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Aug 06, 2005 at 08:34 AM »
Yes Sir Firewired LG did able to access the 3 audio tracks and subtitle with out any problem just press audio and u will hear the 3 audio tracks, if i'm not mistaken the first one was the announcer sa stadium, the second one parang audio commentary ata and the third one music track na iba from the first one.  Hoping someday  i will able to download some HD DIVX movies, kasi puro XXX lang nakikita kong HD DIVX sa internet hehehehehe  ;)

Offline artsky

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2005 at 09:05 AM »
mukang ok ito ah. any more revies?  ;D

Offline mm2002

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Aug 06, 2005 at 10:27 AM »
this unit comes with a VOD (VIdeo on demand) registration code.  U can easily access it in the menu,
siguro matagal pa bago natin magamit to  ;D.  Manufactured and made in indonesia.

to learn more about video on demand try this link

http://www.divx.com/corporate/solutions/vod/index.php

Offline collit_99

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 06, 2005 at 06:45 PM »
is this player do have a DTS/Dolby Decoder?

Offline silab

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Aug 06, 2005 at 10:18 PM »
can it play xvid?

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2005 at 11:50 PM »
Finally bought myself an LG DK9934N. Hehehe. Got it for 4.2K(down from 4,499!!!) at Abensons Galleria branch, plus PhP898 for additional two years warranty, so, PhP5, 028 total nya. Sulit na at may libre pang DVD Karaoke ng Love Songs inside.  ;D

For all those concerned about the region 3 setting of this player,  yeah, madaling kausap mga andun sa Abenson Galleria(and sa SM North Edsa branch din) with regards to converting the player into a region-free unit. All it took was the promo person from LG to push a code via remote and it's done. Look for Jay-R(of Philips, I think) and ask him to help you out with the discount and with the region-setting of the player.

Oh, and the remote of the unit is programmable(?) to make it as your TV remote too(sorta like a Universal Remote). Dyahe lang at walang PIP button sa remote at basic TV function lang. But an extra feature worth mentioning na rin.

One caveat about this player is the thin disc tray. It's not child-friendly and it's an accident waiting to happen.

I haven't given it a test-run since nakaktamad pa mag re-arrange ng cables sa TV at DVD player, but I took mm2002's word that this player is quite good and read DivX files fast.

Haaay...sarap magkaroon uli ng branded player.  ;D

Offline artsky

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #15 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 04:24 AM »
how about the zoom function, "malinis" ba yung screen while being in the zoom mode? yung sa philips kasi nabasa ko na may small box sa baba na ayaw mawala.

Offline Bluebeard

• Collector
  • Go4it
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Aug 08, 2005 at 10:45 AM »

Here is the specific instructions I got from an LG Hacks site which I used to make my DK9934N region-free
   (this was confirmed by the local LG service center):

Power on the player with no disc in the drive                           
   Wait for the "No Disc" message to appear                                 
   Press PAUSE the Remote                   
   Enter 3, 1, 4, 1, 5, 9 on the Remote (the word REGION 3 appears on the   
   display, if it doesn't change, try it again).                           
   Enter 0 on the Remote to display REGION 0 (0 = All Regions, 1 = Region   
   1, 2 = Region 2, 3 = Region 3, etc.)                                     
   Press Pause on the Remote ; then press STOP.                                               
   Power the player Off, wait 30 seconds and then power back On   

Btw, I played a downloaded DIVX (When Harry met Sally) and a self-created Divx (Troy) and they both played
   w/o any hitches.   It also played Mpg movies, mp3. and wma music files flawlessly and jpg pics. It cannot run
   ordinary AVI videos.  (Note that Divx has an .avi extension also.)  FF is up to 100X.

Volume control on the remote is applicable only if your TV set is also and LG brand.

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 06:45 AM »
Any other experiences with this player? Battousai?

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 11, 2005 at 10:52 AM »
Any other experiences with this player? Battousai?

LOL. All the excitement for this player sort of died down ng maidala ko na sa bahay.  ;D  Di ko pa nga nabuksan yung box.
Will update my experience with this unit ASAP.

Offline newtype

• Collector
  • yo...
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Aug 12, 2005 at 01:47 AM »
can this player anything like dvd-r and other forms of 'copied' format with no hassle? as in di namimili?

Offline Bluebeard

• Collector
  • Go4it
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Aug 12, 2005 at 07:53 AM »
can this player anything like dvd-r and other forms of 'copied' format with no hassle? as in di namimili?

This unit plays dvd+/- r, dvd+/- rw, cd-r cdrw disks.  Furthermore, manual states it can play xvid, 3ivx files although have not verified this.  Battousai  is correct, dvd remote can also act as a tv remote if your tv is a sony, lg, goldstar, zenith, samsung or hitachi. 

Medyo nde ok dvd-r's  that  I bought from cdr-king. All movies that i backed-up using inter-video creator2 "hung" at the middle of the movie.  Orig Memorex dvd-/+r that I bought from USA thru a friend were ok.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Aug 13, 2005 at 02:26 AM »
Finally decided to hook my LG on to my TV and give it a test run. I played a Chasing Amy region 1 DVD, and it played flawlessly. Same can be said of a region 3 Mystery Men DVD.

Popped a bootleg DVD of Epsode III and Sleepy Hollow DVD9...it all played. Nothing bad to report so far.

Did try out an anime divx(it's in AVI so I guess its in DivX format) of Slam Dunk. It first sent me to an options menu of the four eperate folders containing four episodes each. I played one episode and it loaded fast, like what mm2002 said. Yun lang, this is the first time I've seen a divx clip played on a player and on TV, so tanong ko lang kung ano explanation ng black bars on both side...its like the black bars of a widescreen movie when you play it on a regular format TV, only the black bars are on the side.

Pinatulan na nga namin yung libreng Karaoke DVD na kasama sa LG player...sadly, lumakas yung ulan after we belted out a coupla songs.  :D

Offline Kiven

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 14, 2005 at 03:16 PM »
@sir battousai RE the black bars on the side
its definitely just the aspect ratio.you can change it sa options.

just got one a while ago based on your descriptions and i must say in the few hours ive had the LG DK9934N that is a great buy!
for a casual dvd viewer such as myself it played orig/not orig dvds,divx 3/4/5/6 files including the .divx 6 samplers, and xvid/3vix, mp3s,mpeg files
it played the files in folders too.

tama nga mejo manipis lang disc tray kaya konting ingat.
also, The region free hack worked for my player.
i got an extended warranty na din from abenson.

All in all, a great buy!

Offline silab

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Aug 14, 2005 at 04:14 PM »
I just bought one last Friday and it looks wicked. I love its design, also got the extended warranty, 3 years all in all, gives me peace of mind.

I burned Incredible in Xvid format and sometimes, the picture would go off the screen or would change color. Might be the cheap DVD-R I bought from CDRKing. I will try to burn at  lower speed, or could also be my writer since my 1625 is acting up recently.

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #24 on: Aug 14, 2005 at 06:43 PM »
I just bought one last Friday and it looks wicked. I love its design, also got the extended warranty, 3 years all in all, gives me peace of mind.

I burned Incredible in Xvid format and sometimes, the picture would go off the screen or would change color. Might be the cheap DVD-R I bought from CDRKing. I will try to burn at  lower speed, or could also be my writer since my 1625 is acting up recently.

Hi !

Would anyone kindly compare with the following LG model ? Not sure which one to get... this one below is roughly about US$ 99.

This LG LGDVB418 Ultra Slim DVD Player can play a variety of Audio and Video formats such as DVDs, CDs, MP3s, DVD audio and other digital media formats. In addition to progressive-scan capability, this stylish LG DVD player can upconvert standard definition movies to high-definition 1080i resolution. This means you can enjoy all of your favorite films in stunning high-definition. With its integrated 7-in-2 memory card slot you can access files from multiMediaCard, Secure Digital, Smart Media, Memory Stick/Memory Stick Pro, Compact Flash and Micro Drive formats.

Offline Battousai

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 14, 2005 at 08:39 PM »
Jackryan, if price is not an issue, then get the LG LGDVB418 na lang for the added features.

Pero sa budget-conscious(like me) the DK9934N is a bargain na.

Offline USP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • I'm a wallaby...
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 14, 2005 at 09:40 PM »

Isn't this the effects of Macrovision?

Offline p.dividdy2

• Collector
  • Galit Na Si Manoy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 03:43 AM »
kamusta subtitles nito? readable ba yun font on white background?
PinoyBazaar - Shop Easy!
http://pinoybazaar.forumotion.com

Offline silab

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 01:07 PM »
btw my only complaint is, the remote control cannot adjust the volume of my speakers, i have to adjust it on my speakers

Offline jojitv

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Into The Blu...
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2005 at 01:49 PM »

The DK-9934p isn't listed in the local LG site yet but it's profiled in the Singapore catalog.  Visit the site for more details.

Is this pic the exact model that's available here? Looks nice. I was already set on getting the divx capable Pioneer player, but now i'm having second thoughts after reading the good reviews for this product.
SARS!!!