Author Topic: iMAtZ THxEATER  (Read 188410 times)

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: iMAtZ THEATER (w/ new stuff pics)
« Reply #720 on: Sep 11, 2006 at 02:02 PM »
matt....san mo ba nabili yung divx player mo na yun ah....

Sa Gilmore. Its very handy, specially on out of town trips! sulit na sulit! Just plug to a TV and play!

I have brought this tiny DivX player to Baguio and Tagaytay.

Beats lugging a bulky DVD player and DVD disks around  ;D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #721 on: Sep 11, 2006 at 02:04 PM »
ok good!!  papahanap ako.  direct loading pa when im downloading TV series, i kinda like HOUse md and the entourage.  habang antay pa maipon episodes ng prison break and greys anatomy.   hehehe  ;D ;D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #722 on: Sep 11, 2006 at 10:07 PM »
yup marv ganda yung player ni matt na yon,so cute halos PDA size lang and plug and play pa ;) matt yung ipod video ba hindi pwede for divx?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #723 on: Sep 11, 2006 at 10:11 PM »
yup, kakaasiwa kasi yung ginagawa ko, download ako then burn kopa sa DVD to watch sa TV, yun diretso na.... :) :)  matt pa pm ng price....

Offline dieselsy

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #724 on: Sep 11, 2006 at 10:54 PM »
sir im planing to set up a simple systm sa bedroom namin and i hv monitor b2,cayin integarted tube amp na 30 watts and i was wondering kung hw much yung cd player you just bot MASTER..hope ypu dnt mind and san din pala.thank you po ;)
DCS Network Bridge
DCS Scarlatti DAC
DCS Scarlatti Clock
Plinius SA 100
Harbeth P3 40th Anv

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #725 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 12:18 PM »
Hilig din namin manood ng Dr. House, very entertaining.

OK, PM ko kayong 2.

Ricky, Sorry di ko alam :(

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #726 on: Sep 12, 2006 at 12:57 PM »
meron ng season 3 ng house md!

Offline dieselsy

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #727 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 08:27 AM »
thank you MASTER MATT sa mga kind and encouraging words nyo.god bless and looking forward to meet you sir :)
DCS Network Bridge
DCS Scarlatti DAC
DCS Scarlatti Clock
Plinius SA 100
Harbeth P3 40th Anv

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #728 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 09:34 AM »
matt, this time i'm gonna make sure that i'll visit you...will be in Manila Oct. 6...part of my sked is my visit to your place...pwede ka ba?? thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #729 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 04:47 PM »
ET: Yup, we are just starting season 2. Very entertaining indeed.

Supes: Talaga ha!? This time darating ka na talaga... :D

Sige iwan kong bukas lahat ng bintana. LOL  ;D

Or sa penthouse ka lilipad?

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #730 on: Sep 13, 2006 at 04:51 PM »
OK na sa front door...hehehe! see you then ha...malamang morning, para after eh kina ricky naman...thanks bro! see you! :D :D :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline skylynx888

• DVD Addict
  • breastmilk is also good for adults
  • Liked:
« Reply #731 on: Sep 14, 2006 at 08:23 AM »
I have finally met Master Matt and visited his iMatz theater!!!!!  kung dati e pa pm-pm lang at puro pictures lang nakikita ko, Im lucky to have my "first lessons"....... in audio and video with the MASTER LEGEND himself ;D ;D ;D and im very thankful for that.

Tapos nakilala ko pa sina Rotel power amp..... at si Velo cht-12r.... SARSSSS!!!!!!  tukso layuan mo ako !!!!!!
with regards to the gears, lalo na sa wirings, all i can say is  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

thank you din sa donut... sarap  :) :)
more power to you bro and hoping to meet you again soon.....

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #732 on: Sep 15, 2006 at 12:09 PM »
I have finally met Master Matt and visited his iMatz theater!!!!!  kung dati e pa pm-pm lang at puro pictures lang nakikita ko, Im lucky to have my "first lessons"....... in audio and video with the MASTER LEGEND himself ;D ;D ;D and im very thankful for that.

Tapos nakilala ko pa sina Rotel power amp..... at si Velo cht-12r.... SARSSSS!!!!!!  tukso layuan mo ako !!!!!!
with regards to the gears, lalo na sa wirings, all i can say is  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

thank you din sa donut... sarap  :) :)
more power to you bro and hoping to meet you again soon.....

Its a pleasure to meet you too. Good luck on your HT  :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #733 on: Sep 28, 2006 at 03:19 PM »
Just wana share these wonderful articles I found in the net:

HK as processor:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=634952&page=1&pp=30

About power amps:

Power to the People – the Benefits of the Power Amplifier

27/11/2001
-----------------------------------
by Gavin Womersley

The vast majority of home theatre systems contain at their centre the ubiquitous surround receiver. Costing anything from around $500 to more than $6000 for the top models, they are by far the most popular choice for anchoring surround systems. On the whole they offer amazing value with good quality chips handling advanced processing of the digital formats we enjoy today, plenty of connection options and a level of general sophistication that would have been unheard of just a few years ago. They are not perfect however, and their biggest weakness lies in their most basic task – amplifying speakers.

Why this is so will be examined below. While the traditional alternative – the surround pre-amp power-amp combination is still the best choice for those who can afford it, our focus here will be making good use of the popular surround receiver as a processor/pre-amp and adding high quality muscle for a high value as well as high performance combination.

Surround Receivers - Limitations

Surround receivers are sold largely on the basis of price and specifications. Manufacturers elbow their way through the competitive market with models that have Dolby Digital, DTS, component video switching etc, etc at ever-lower price points. These are features that help stake out their products as great value. It is unfortunate that some important parts of the amplifier do not get the attention they deserve, yet they are vital to the amplifiers core function of powering speakers. I am talking about the amplifiers power supply, the size of its transformer and heat sinks. Things like this will tell us how well the amplifier is able to generate the current required to drive a loudspeaker.

In a typical surround receiver you have crammed into a small space five amplifiers, the main power transformer, heat sinks, preamplifier circuitry, front display circuitry, video switching and so forth. In short there is a dam lot of stuff in that box - too much in fact. There simply is not enough space both in the manufacturers budget and in the amplifiers chassis to accommodate items such as a decent size power supply and heat sinks. Shane Buettner Equipment Review Editor from Widescreen Review compares dedicated power amps to surround receivers when he states:

“As an example, the dedicated power amplifier that I use as a reference has a power transformer rated at 2.2 kVa for a five-channel amplifier. The Denon AVR-5800, one of the best sounding A/V receivers I’ve heard, has a transformer rated at 1.1 kVa. Under no circumstances will the AVR-5800 receiver be able to deliver as much current to the output stages of its amplifier section as my dedicated amplifier. The number and quality of the output devices on each channel will be limited in the A/V receiver as well, due to physical size restraints and to the limited amount of real estate in the A/V receiver along with cost considerations." (Widescreen Review; 46; p. 92)

He goes on to say that higher current designs generate more heat and thus require more heat sinks, which again are not easy to do in a surround receiver. In short the manufacturers of dedicated power amps do not have the constraints that surround receiver manufacturers have upon them.

All this would only be of marginal interest if it did not have an effect on sound quality. However these things affect the sound quality of music and movies to a massive degree. Any speaker regardless of price will sound better when supplied with all the current it requires. Whether large or small, whether you listen loudly or softly or whether it is music in stereo or a film soundtrack, the differences are immediately apparent. Again, Buettner wraps it up succinctly:

“Now the common misconception here is that all of the above only translates into higher volume levels from the dedicated amplifier. Strain, congestion, distortion and dynamic compression are all terms that can be used to describe what an amplifier sounds like when it can’t deliver the current necessary to drive a loudspeaker during transient peaks (which occur during music playback as well as movie soundtracks).” (Widescreen Review; 46; p.92)

It is the transients in music and music that the differences between dedicated power amps and surround receivers are most strikingly apparent. However at all times the sound is superior, not just during peaks. The amplifier simply has a much better hold of the speaker allowing for a cleaner more precise and yet relaxed and smoother sound.

The Sound Alternative

As mentioned in the introduction the traditional alternative to the one box surround receiver is the pre-power combo. This is still the best way to go but is often very expensive. Surround pre-amps are not thick on the ground and with the exception of two models from Rotel ($2500 & $3700), virtually all cost upwards of $4000, with many giving little change from double this figure. Add the price of a power amp and things start to get expensive.

The alternative to this however lets you enjoy the potent dynamics of a movie soundtrack and the subtle nuances of the quietest passages of your favourite music without breaking the bank. This alternative lies with a cluster of sockets on the back of your surround receiver called pre-outs.

Line level outputs for all channels from the back of your surround receiver allow the connection of a multi-channel power amp. The power amp would then power all the speakers. Surround receivers down to just under $1000 have been seen sporting these outputs, so it is an option open to many. With the relatively high chip quality and processing power of many of these receivers they can make surprisingly good surround pre-amps. Adding a surround power-amp will take the performance to a whole new level as will be seen below.

Shane Lord, a reviewer for Australia’s most respected DVD website michaeldvd.com.au uses his accurately calibrated surround system as a tool for critically reviewing DVD soundtracks. With a small room and small speakers one would not have thought he was obviously in need of a powerful surround amp as he had just bought a advanced new surround receiver, one with great chips and supposedly plenty of power. This is what he found when he took the Elektra Theatre multi-channel power amp home for a test drive:

“The sound difference was stunning. Even on smaller speakers such as my own the power-amp enabled sound had greater depth and clarity, and far less "muddiness". I could hear more information than I had before. Whether it was music or movies, the power amp proved it could outclass the far less capable amp in the receiver. It was as big a difference as that between mono and stereo. Simply put, I was stunned. Such a major difference and it didn't require replacing the receiver. Even in my relatively small room, with my mid-priced speakers, the quality difference is unquestionable. Friends and family now prefer to come here to see a movie than go to the cinema. The sound is so much better now that I am thoroughly enjoying going back through my DVD collection & CD's just to listen to them again.”

Needless to say, Shane now owns the Elektra Theatre.

Normally we keep power amps in a separate area to surround receivers and it was not possible to do an A/B comparison. Now however we have a multi-channel power-amp in our home theatre comparison room at all times so you can hear the incredible difference the power-amp makes. The difference is absolutely huge.

Of course we have a number of different surround power-amps. Brands include top end gear like Krell and Musical Fidelity, mid-range gear like Perreaux and cheaper models from companies such as Rotel. We have five channel power-amps starting from the Rotel RMB-1075 120w x 5 at $1900 although the standout model in terms of quality and value for your dollar is the Australian designed and built Elektra Theatre ($3000). Weighing in at 27kgs and with 150w x 6 it sounds superb for music and movies and has a degree of slam and attack that has to be heard to be believed. Unlike all surround receivers under about $3500, power-amps, with their huge power supplies, can run all their amplifiers at their full power simultaneously and most will come close to doubling their power output when impedance halves. This means that they can run almost any speaker you care to name, even in big rooms.

Conclusion

I would urge anyone in the market for surround receivers over $3000 to first hear what an inexpensive surround receiver (such as Marrantz’s brilliant new SR4200 or SR5200) sound like running with a power-amp via the receivers pre-outs before doling out their hard earned on an all singing and dancing surround receiver. If you do the comparison you will not ever choose even a $5000 or more receiver on sonic grounds over a cheaper one with a power-amp. For those of you already with a flashy surround receiver - do yourself a favour and check out its back panel. If it has pre-outs you have the easiest upgrade choice you will ever have to make, just be sure to strap yourself in when the surround power-amp arrives!
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2006 at 03:23 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #734 on: Sep 29, 2006 at 12:10 PM »
Nice read pare, which only means that once you have a decent AVR you just need to add an external power amp to it to have a better sounding system,no need to upgrade to a better receiver,just an ext power amp will improve the total output ;D But it never did say that it is better, than going the separates route esp if you have the money and you are planning an upgrade from a AVR-Power amp combo ;D ;D ;D  To each his own pa rin and best judge for an upgrade is your EARS and your POCKET ay meron pa pala yung SARS ;)

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #735 on: Sep 29, 2006 at 12:32 PM »
matt, game ba tayo?? October 7, 9:00AM...thanks! :D

Offline xpenz

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #736 on: Oct 02, 2006 at 03:36 PM »
Very nice article mate, I myself had the oppurtunity of auditioning the might of just a regular 7.1 55w/c avr combined with an ext. power amp and it's really stunning! In fact, in HT alone a 7.1 75w/c  or avr will sound almost the same with the regular 7.1 55w/c avr both combined to a ext. power amp except on the audio part where greater detail is even more appreciated.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #737 on: Oct 02, 2006 at 03:37 PM »
matt, game ba tayo?? October 7, 9:00AM...thanks! :D

cya

Nice read pare, which only means that once you have a decent AVR you just need to add an external power amp to it to have a better sounding system,no need to upgrade to a better receiver,just an ext power amp will improve the total output ;D But it never did say that it is better, than going the separates route esp if you have the money and you are planning an upgrade from a AVR-Power amp combo ;D ;D ;D To each his own pa rin and best judge for an upgrade is your EARS and your POCKET ay meron pa pala yung SARS ;)

As always, the wallet dictates the extent you can go to for this hobby. If you have the money, why not a matching pre/pro & amp combo? Or even additional 200w for fronts or lower amps for bi-amping? Or a Rotel 2x500w digital amp? I would definitely do that if I had the funds (how I weeesh!!! :'() .

Quoting from the thread:
Should you compromise and use a receiver as a preamp? I wouldn't, personally (because I find it goofy), but it's a perfectly reasonable configuration that would have excellent cost/performance benefits.

I guess some people fall into this category, they want matching gears and not goofy mix ups. Its perfectly understandable and logical. Like you said, to each his own.

All the article was saying is that its a cost effective alternative solution to an upgrade but it was not about if its better then pre/pro. Pre pros are out of reach for most of our members here, so I guess the article would appeal to that majority (me included  :)).

Of all the posts, this one really struck me and reinforced my belief in power amps:

But I don't buy into the argument that a dedicated pre/pro will neccessarly sound better than a receiver used as a prepro. I think the slight difference in sound was in the amp. IMO

And they werent even discussing Bi-amped receivers + power amps here.

But to conclude, I would still go for the matching pre/pros & amps if I had the budget. thats an IF.  ;D But for now, a receiver + amp is a winner for me in terms of cost/performance basis.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2006 at 04:14 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #738 on: Oct 02, 2006 at 04:06 PM »
wow humble,hindi halata pare ;D and yung statement ko is not for everybody,its for the one person who's having the GREAT ITCH to upgrade to a new AVR kahit perfect na yung 630 nya ::) :o ;D I too will recommend the avr without the power amp and bi-amping option pa nga for a value for money set-up,sa akin kasi basta ht hindi naman ganon ka-critical unlike sa audio ;)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #739 on: Oct 02, 2006 at 04:40 PM »
wow humble,hindi halata pare ;D and yung statement ko is not for everybody,its for the one person who's having the GREAT ITCH to upgrade to a new AVR kahit perfect na yung 630 nya ::) :o ;D I too will recommend the avr without the power amp and bi-amping option pa nga for a value for money set-up,sa akin kasi basta ht hindi naman ganon ka-critical unlike sa audio ;)

Hehe, di naman great itch yun. Like I told you its a "cosmetic" move that doesnt require a cash out (in a way).

Also, you might have gotten me wrong. The article posted above is for readers planning to upgrade, its not regarding my future HT plans.

Very nice article mate, I myself had the oppurtunity of auditioning the might of just a regular 7.1 55w/c avr combined with an ext. power amp and it's really stunning! In fact, in HT alone a 7.1 75w/c or avr will sound almost the same with the regular 7.1 55w/c avr both combined to a ext. power amp except on the audio part where greater detail is even more appreciated.

Thats nice to hear bro. I wish you the best in your HT gear hunt.  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2006 at 04:08 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #740 on: Oct 07, 2006 at 11:35 PM »
hi matt!

thanks to you and your wife for the brief moment that i was able to experience the "I-Matz theater"...it was truly a learning experience for me in HT, as i have never really seriously ventured into HT before, only entry level set-ups...

i hope next time there's going to be more time...ikaw na bahala kay ricky boy...daghang salamat, kaibigan...hanggang sa muli...

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #741 on: Oct 09, 2006 at 04:03 PM »
hi matt!

thanks to you and your wife for the brief moment that i was able to experience the "I-Matz theater"...it was truly a learning experience for me in HT, as i have never really seriously ventured into HT before, only entry level set-ups...

i hope next time there's going to be more time...ikaw na bahala kay ricky boy...daghang salamat, kaibigan...hanggang sa muli...

Ya, sana more time sa uulitin. I had to quickly breeze through the demo disks to show you the best parts only since you had to go somewhere pa. Salamat din sa mga pasalubong from Davao!  :)

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #742 on: Oct 09, 2006 at 04:06 PM »
Ya, sana more time sa uulitin. I had to quickly breeze through the demo disks to show you the best parts only since you had to go somewhere pa. Salamat din sa mga pasalubong from Davao! :)

yup, bro...at kasama next time sa itinerary ang pagsugod natin kay ricky boy, hehehe!...bibisita din ako kay jetok...at siyempre, 2006 Hi-Fi Show na!! :D

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #743 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:14 PM »
some pics i took when i visited the I-Matz Theater last weekend...thanks again, Matt (and your wifey) for welcoming me to your very cozy place :D :D :D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #744 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:23 PM »
Ang linaw ng camera mo bro! Sa sobrang linaw na expose tuloy lahat ng KALAT ko! LOL kakahiya ;D

Buti na lang di mo ako kinunan, di ako naka make-up nun.  ;D

Sayang, wala yung audio setup (CDP, T-amps, etc.) ko when you came. I wanted you to hear it as well. Anyway next time na lang.

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #745 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 05:34 PM »
november 11, bro...after ko pumunta sa Nov. Hi-Fi Show...thanks! :D

Offline deo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • 'Evening...commissioner :D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #746 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 11:07 PM »

sama ako :'(

hehehe!! ;D

Offline Zitr0

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #747 on: Oct 11, 2006 at 11:36 PM »

bossing, San to? san to? :o
"NO SPEAKER IS MADE PERFECT, YOUR "EARS" MAKE A SPEAKER PERFECT!"

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #748 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 10:02 AM »
I definitely can smell the sub from here.......ang lapit dito eh......byahe na, naghihintay yung sisig at sherbet... ;D ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #749 on: Oct 12, 2006 at 11:36 AM »
Munskie, I cancelled my reservation na  :). But I will surely make it a point to visit your HD soon.

Ric: sa Mandarin Oriental Hotel lagi yan.