Author Topic: Promac DVD Player  (Read 43071 times)

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Promac DVD Player
« on: Sep 05, 2001 at 04:36 AM »
I was able to test the Promac DVD that Nivblakr  earlier endorsed in another thread, it was actually his discovery in Raon, apparently going for Php 7100.00,and  maybe the lowest in the market.
All  I  can  add to say is that,  it's merely a clone of the Konzert/Sakura DVD, that has been substantially discussed and given a good review by a lot of the members who owned them, so aside from the generic multiregion,macrovision free,MP3 capable unit, my only contribution to the differentiate this unit from the Konzert/Sakura tandem is that the unit really  looks like a generic stick your brand type of player that has earlier been reported, presently being peddled in HK.
What I can actually surmise here as significant is that the cheap brands are really about to plunge into the Manila market and if one can just hold unto his/her patience,one can expect, that once the holiday season comes in, we'll be flooded with this cheap(prices may hover around Php 4,500-6000)but reliable players and possibly, the start of the more affordable DVD discs.(originalR3/pirated)

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
Re: PROMAC DVD
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2001 at 10:23 AM »
alfie- I really appreciate your time spending in testing this types of players.  You are an agent of cheaper alternatives for having a HT system in the house especially those who don't have the budget but wants to enjoy the cinema experience.  By the way, does it also have the internal PAL/NTSC converter? Upgradable firmware?  I know this player doesn't really fit the living room for s because of aesthetics (pekeng-peke ang itsura) but would be superb for private viewing (action-dvd.com)  Hehe!  This is the cheapest so far, maybe with a little more barat, you can ask for a lower than 7k price. What dyu think?
By the way, if you found in one of my replies, that I junked my Sharp DV-880...junked it in their service center and the japs weren't replying for the upgrade I wanted coz it can't read dual layer discs. huh???  That's what the techie guy from Sharp told me.  So to everyone out there...don't buy a Sharp DVD player.  I don't know about their newer models like the 720 with DTS if it was upgraded.  BIG MISTAKE!  So now, Western (where I bought my player) is willing to replace it with another brand.  My choices are Pioneer 535 or 533 or the Philips 711.  I need help on this.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2001 at 04:50 PM »
Nivblakr, I gave a reply there, I'll go for the Philips 711, there's a hack and for what I've read, it's Macrovision free. There's no way to liberate the Macrovision from Pioneer.

Offline jofab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2001 at 05:47 PM »

Nivblakr, I gave a reply there, I'll go for the Philips 711, there's a hack and for what I've read, it's Macrovision free. There's no way to liberate the Macrovision from Pioneer.

Where did you read that there was a hack for the Philips player? I have a Philips 955 and was wondering if i could disable its Macrovision?

Thanks! (Sorry for the off-topic post)

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2001 at 06:03 PM »
I found the proper hack for all kinds of Philips DVD, no limitations, Kindly visit this site;              [http://www.home.zonnet.nl/jeroenverhaar/en/indexdvd.htm]

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2001 at 10:06 PM »
alfie- This thread is really going way out of the topic like what we usually do in the other threads.  Kakatamad to make a new one.  Hope the others would come across your comments in the other threads para lalo silang maligaw. ::)

Offline fuzion

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2001 at 08:56 AM »
Hi Alfie, you sure get around :o !!! But I am thankfull for the your efforts in finding and reviewing cheap DVD players.

As I have posted in the Sakura thread, whats your take on the S-video output of this cheap players? You've stated that they are (Konzert, Promac, Sakura etc.) basically the same re-tagged el cheapo chinese mass market players.

Is it safe to assume that they basically have the same S-Video output, viewed in a 4:3 32" XBR?

Or, since Konzert is more expensive, does it have a better output?

I leaning in buying Pioneer or Phillips in the believe that they have better MPEG-2 decoding chip giving a better viewable output?

Sorry, for bugging you guys and thanks!  
-----------------------------
MMMMMM!

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 06, 2001 at 05:03 PM »
Fuzion, from what I've read and experienced(techies, who have other inputs pls. respond) The MPEG2 is basic in all DVD's, the DVD is dependent upon the CSS, w/c is controlled a'la monopoly by the MPAA, a DVD wil not be able to DECODE w/o the CSS, now the MPEG2 is the firmware that interprets the data that was decoded, in fact piracy is now possible due to the Linux w/c basically ripped off the codes inside the CSS.
In a nutshell, it's the overall Quality Control, that's important, not the firmware w/c is plainly generic in almost all units.
Now for your question regarding the S-video, kindly browse thru the Konzert DVD thread,you'll probably be satisfied with the inputs posted there, I think it's safe to assume that the Wega is much like your XBR.

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2001 at 05:38 PM »
For all those interested, the PROMAC DVD now goes for Php 6,700.00 at Raon  in the Quiapo district, the stores that usually sells the PROMAC has a Promac sign in front, but for the sake of  simplicity, there's a shop named JOY's Electronics, located at the ipsilateral side of Liongco, (the counterpart of the Deeco at the Quezon Blvd. side of Quiapo), it's a few stores away  facing the  loud DMC store that usually plays out, loud.. discomixed music.
It's hard to miss.
Another landmark is the Hirose store, just a few meters away from the above mentioned shop.
If you have more time in your hand, you can check out the other stores in the new buildings, probably they'll give it for less. I know of a store named Natalie's w/c also markets Promac, and they'll ask you what's the lowest price  you've scouted, and they'll match it or even go low, if you can haggle well. Look for Louie.
So far, this is the cheapest DVD,now being sold in the market. ;D
It is still quite expensive if you compare it to the $89.00(Php 4539.00) Apex 1500, but probably the Manila market will soon catch up & will get there,possibly during the holiday season.  ;)

Offline lmerb

• Collector
  • Wazzup!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2001 at 07:51 PM »
Hey Alfie, ano specs ng player na to?

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2001 at 07:58 PM »
Imerb, it's a KONZERT/Sakura clone.

Offline lmerb

• Collector
  • Wazzup!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2001 at 08:01 PM »
Ahh! e d may built in DD decoder din n PAL -> NTSC decoder

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2001 at 08:05 PM »
Imerb, Yes, all features included, the only difference is the Title page, of course, it uses the PROMAC trademark, I think even the screen saver is the same.
As a matter of  fact, if your not queasy about appearances, I'd say the video analog out seems to fare better than the Konzert.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2001 at 09:46 PM »
If you want to test run a Promac go to Greenhills Virramall sa may entrance facing OB Montessori.  Go straight sa may gitna na may mga binebentang scooter.  Meron don naka-hook na sa TV.  Just bring your DVDs and have them tested.  
In Raon kasi, they are all in the box and hassle to have them set it up for you just for testing. Others even sell them and their shop has no TV!  Good Luck!

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2001 at 05:43 PM »
Nirvblakr, How much are they selling in Greenhills? I saw one at the Sta. Lucia East Grand Mall (that's where I tested it)and they're selling it for Php 8000.00, haggling only leads to Php 7900.00.
To those interested, I'd take Nivblakr's advise, Check it out in Greenhills, then, go to Raon,and kindly, tell us how cheap you got it.
Likend Raon as how one shops in the US (Circuit City,Best Buy), You get what want ,since, you know what your'e looking for,No testing, Pay(sad thing here, only cash), Return if damaged.(you'll be surprised  how these people now honor consummer rights)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2001 at 10:27 PM »
alfie- The last time I was there it was like a little over P8k.  Mahal compared to Raon!  For us in the forum, that's just for testing coz the set-up (w/ TV lang and some cheap speakers not really the kind that we're in for) is already existing you just have to pop-in your discs.  The Raon Promac players are still sealed in a box and nakapatong lang minsan sa showroom and so much hassle for them to set-up.  Iba nga wala pang TV.  But still buy your player, if ever, sa Raon even if its in Quiapo, they still give warranties.

Offline lmerb

• Collector
  • Wazzup!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2001 at 11:11 PM »
Saw a Noriko DVD Player in Image Harisson Plaza.

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2001 at 05:21 PM »
Imerb, The Noriko came out even before this Konzert craze has taken over, the people there always insisted that it's MultiRegion but claimed it to be Macrovision enabled, I never really tested it, since the price is quite unfriendly for me.(Php 9,990.00) :o
Maybe by now your in a position to evaluate it, kindly just post your findings if they have the same chip/program setting as the Konzert/Sakura/Promac.
In addition to this, has anyone here seem the AOWA DVD, complete w/ a DD AVR and a complete set of fine finished floor standing speakers? :P Well, I was able to test it, It's also an APEX clone, but try to avoid this since the price is quite unreasonable,Php 70,000.00. ???
I just hope, no one yet has been victimized. :-[

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2001 at 10:00 PM »
alfie- that AOWA should be included in the thread: what HT equipment made your jaw drop re: price.  

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2001 at 05:33 PM »
Nirvblakr, or perhaps we should start a new thread;
DVD EQUIPMENT TO AVOID, or something like that... ::)

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2001 at 12:17 AM »

Nirvblakr, or perhaps we should start a new thread;
DVD EQUIPMENT TO AVOID, or something like that... ::)

I second emotion to that!  We can even state the name of the store for the benefit of others who are still planning to buy their HT systems not to be victims.  I guess there are two groups here in the forum: those who really spend (and who has the money to really buy the top of the line HT systems) and those who don't have big bucks to spend for an HT system but wants one.  Hope we could just still go around and continually post our findings here.  
Pero ako pre, stuck up ngayon sa hospital. TOXIC!  Walang time maglakwatsa! >:(

Offline Knightro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2001 at 01:41 AM »
Alfie, I have read the Konzert thread and now this thread, as you have recommended on the Sakura thread, but I did not found any hint regarding my inquiry on these nice inexpensive players.  Its video performances and other features have been discussed sufficiently but may you please give some comment on the following:
1.      Do you think it’s durable?  I have read that some have 1 year warranty but the question is how really long it would last.  Some standard DVD players have very sensitive laser optics and some were very sensitive to temperature like the Panasonics.  Do you think it has the same durability with the cheapy VCD players which were regarded as disposables?
2.      How would you compare its audio output, its built-in decoder, it’s D/A converter or is it good as a CD transport? and lastly,
3.      Can it digitally out or downconvert or even play 96/24 DVD audio.

Thank you very much in advance.

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2001 at 06:16 PM »
Knightro, This are my impressions(not the absolute) to the questions that you've posted;
   1) There is a strong possibility that they are durable,  that is, if I'll base it on the ownership of the people who have reportedly  owned for more than a  year and has been giving posts praising the ApexAd600A(clone) and the MALATA(rebranded).
Most of the complaints, that I've encountered centered only on the Karaoke capabilities of the APEX & MALATA. There has been no reports of units suddenly dying out or plainly going haywire.
Now, as you can see, most of us here have only recently acquired the Konzert, hence, It'll probably take sometime, before we can really give you our word and  confirm to you  the durability of our unit, However, if I remember right, I stated once that since this is a China made unit,hence we should always expect some lemons :'((but isn't it true that US,Euro, and Nippon made ones are not exempt).
In fact, I believe a member reported that his unit was malfunctioning, thus was reported to the store and was immediately returned. :D
He was lucky  ;Denough to be given a new unit, his last post indicated that he will keep us updated on his acquisition, however, till now, there has been no update.
By the way, I think all the optics are sensitive to EXTREME Temperature changes. I've encountered this changes even w/ my LD,VCD,CD, and 2 DVDs, I think, what should concern you is the capability of the unit to immediately revert back to it's regular function. I believe the Konzert fared better in this aspect, if I am to compare it to my Nippon Made Panasonic.
   2. The Audio output is much the same as my Panasonic A300 DD converter capability(actually the sound produced will ultimately be dependent upon your Amplifier, what I deemed as comparable is the converting quality w/c can be judged by the way it's 2 channel output will be percieved, the way to test this is to hook your unit via RCA out to a Pro Logic amplifier, now satisfaction is dependent upon your taste)
The DTS is a Pass Thru, meaning, that you should have a DTS capable Amp, that will either decode the info via the Optics or a co-axial.
Now this is only a pass thru, and my  main complaint here is that you'll have to program :P the Konzert(unlike my Apex &Panasonic) to RAW in order for the DTS to pass thru. All my CD's play well. ;D
In fact, in one of my posts, I reported a CD burned thru the obsolete Adaptec 4, That was rejected even by my ever reliable CD players, and the Konzert just played it flawlessly. ;D
   3. Now, the 96/24 DVD audio, I don't know, maybe FIREWIRED can help. ???
It's not the ULTIMATE one Man, has it's faults as reported but I assure you, as long as you get to avoid the lemons, this unit can put a smile in your face.
In fact, I'm still smiling as I typed this piece. ;)

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2001 at 06:23 PM »
Knightro, just an addedum, It's not true that the VCD's being peddled in Quiapo are less durable than the branded counterparts, I for one, have the pleasure of observing a very close friend who cares for his things as if they were all disposables, and mind you his Quiapo bought VCD is still functioning & still at it's peak perfomance  despites all the maltreatments that was imposed upon the unit by it's master.
Maybe you can say that he's just lucky, I thought so too, until I looked at his player and thought otherwise.

Offline lmerb

• Collector
  • Wazzup!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2001 at 07:15 PM »
How can I hook this player in a stereo amplifier? Since it does not have the usual L/R audio out.

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Sep 18, 2001 at 07:31 PM »
IMERB;
    1) The RCA out for the Front speakers act as the main Analog Audio out.
    2) If you have a DD/DTS capable amplifier, use the IOP (Internal Optical Connector) or the Co-Axial out for DD/DTS encoded signals, However, you'll need to program the audio out of your unit to RAW.

Offline lmerb

• Collector
  • Wazzup!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2001 at 08:23 PM »
The Promac has a DD decoder right? I I hook this with Yamaha DSP - E492 will it produce a DD output?

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2001 at 08:27 PM »
YES, IMERB.

Offline lmerb

• Collector
  • Wazzup!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2001 at 08:32 PM »
Thanks. Anyone here knows where can I buy a Yamaha DSP E-492

Offline Alfie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2001 at 08:44 PM »
IMERB, Why 492? ???, there's the 402 Php 14,000.00 DD/DTS, better still the 502 Php 19000.00,DD/DTS.