Author Topic: Rotel AV Receivers/Amplifiers  (Read 134699 times)

Offline nephilim

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rotel AV Receivers/Amplifiers
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2004 at 03:12 PM »
Hello everyone.  I only now just stumbled onto this thread as I am guilty of not logging on to PinoyDVD of late.

av_phile1,

I am happy with my RMB1066.  As to giving a review, it would be unfair as I use them primarily for rear channel work.  The reason I got this unit was so that I have the option of using it in a second room in tandem with my RSP1066 pre/pro.  I actually was on the verge of selling this combo after having it for just 2 weeks, as I was headed towards a more serious two channel setup.  But alas, no takers.   :-\

A mistake I made was that I thought of using this in bridged mode to power my rears, which was to be a pair of Audience Dynes.  But I realized too late that it wouldn't match the nominal impedance of the Dynes.  Good thing I hadn't purchased the Dynes yet.  Right now it's powering my B&W LM1s, which was not supposed to be used for rears but for my PC.  They handle the the B&Ws very well though.  For a time, they were actually on bridged mode, and the B&Ws sounded even better.  But like I said, it's hard to give an honest review of the RMB1066 as all I hear from it are sound effects during my HT sessions. 

But am I happy with the RMB1066?  Put it this way, for a 6 channel amp that is bridgeable ... at the price of around P30k, who wouldn't be?

As to the RSP1066 pre/pro, I am more than happy with it.  It does have its bugs (bass doubling issue), which really is only an issue if you use the multi inputs for SACD or DVDA.  Otherwise, I find little fault with it.  I was using an Audio Analogue Paganini CDP with it as a pass thru preamp and it was just sweet.  I also tried using its processor, using my Philips dvd as a transport, and honestly, it sounded better than the Audio Analogue.  Well in fairness, the Audio Analogue Paganini's processor had the older specs (its not the mkII model) ... I think not even 24/96 yet.  Another plus is that the RSP1066's processor also decodes HDCD discs. 

If you're going the route of separates, there's no beating the RSP1066 in value for money.  The next cheapest pre/pro is in the P150k plus range, more than double the 1066's price.  However, the 1066 is being phased out and I think no longer stocked in Manila.  The replacement 1068 should be on its way in though.  The 1068 looks exactly the same but is said to sound better due to the improved processor. 
PureSound Inc.

Offline KEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2004 at 04:46 PM »
Thanks av,krets yup decided to take Ra01 or Ra02 still saving a little more...thanks again

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2004 at 01:08 PM »
If anybody you know who wants to sell their rotel integrated amps, pls. PM me.  ::)

bro, yung akin "for sale" baka gusto mo?

;D

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
Re: Rotel Integrated Amplifiers
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2004 at 01:10 PM »
Thanks av,krets yup decided to take Ra01 or Ra02 still saving a little more...thanks again

hi KEN, how's your RA-02? do you find it pleasing to the ears or just pleasing to the eyes.... he he he  ::)

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2004 at 04:05 PM »
Hi Audioslave...yup your right "pleasing to eyes" he..he..he, I didn't purchase it yet...it will cost me 27.5K at currecnt exchange rate...nakakahinayang compare dyan sa prevailing price sa atin..sayang 4 wks ago dyan ako pinas...1 month lang kasi vacation ko kaya di ko naka pag ikot ng husto. If I only knew of the price difference I could have bought it from there.Specially when I saw your post on assorted buy and sell...kaya eto still thinking/finding a friend who is schedule for vacation and willing to carry it for me....he..he..he

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2004 at 12:15 PM »
bro, seriously... i have no qualms or whinings about the performance of the RA-02. i don't want to disparage its sonic capabilities if you might have the impression that it's not worth it because i'm selling mine but the only reason why i'm disposing of my unit is that i find it icky to bring 2 remote controls every time i listen to music. i'm planning on getting a NAD C352 to complement an all-NAD set up so that I'll be using only one system remote control. The Rotel RA-02 would surely trample any int-amp in the same class of its own like the NAD C320BEE or even the Arcam A-65 (but not the Arcam A-65+, which is a big leap over its predecessor).

Hope you won't change your mind on your planned purchase of the RA-02. It excels on any type of music, even rock or fast beat and it has the thump and oommph that we ocassionally look for in an amp to bring us into a different level of mood if we ever decide to play it out loud.

;D ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2004 at 01:48 PM »
..but the only reason why i'm disposing of my unit is that i find it icky to bring 2 remote controls every time i listen to music.
 ;D ;D

Why not use a universal remote? 

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
Re: Rotel RA-01 / RA-02
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2004 at 03:20 PM »

Why not use a universal remote? 

instead of spending around 3-4K for a universal remote control, I would rather add the money to the proceeds of the sale and get a more powerful amp (NAD C352 @ 80wpc), thus complimenting my CD Player as well. it's the most logical upgrade path I could think of right now... ::)

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2004 at 04:31 PM »
Bro audioslave, I was referring to my budget when I quote "pleasing to the eyes he..he..he". Honestly when i read your post I did wonder why your selling it so early but as you said it dosn't suit your flavor(remote control).

I still have my sight on the RA02 specially when I read the 12V trigger, coz RCD02 doesnt have standby mode and if I'm not mistaken RA02 have also 12V trigger which I can use to put my RCD02 into standby mode when not in use.

Thanks on your comment regarding the RA02, its the price difference thats really holding me back sayang kasi...but most pobably I will still end up with RA02 .

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2004 at 04:51 PM »
Yup, the RA-02 does have a 12V trigger which you can use to interconnect the RCD-02. But just to inform you, the RA-02 can't be turned "off" by its supplied remote control. Instead, pressing the power button would just let it go into the "standby" mode. You still have to push the power button on the amp itself to completely power it off.

If I just have the same CD Player (RCD-02) as yours, I wouldn't be selling the RA-02 at all.

;D

BTW, san ba location mo ngayon, bro?

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2004 at 06:04 PM »
Thanks for the tip regarding power off/turn off design of the RA02. just simply having the facility to put  my CDP to standby mode will be enough...Bro dito ko sa lupa ng mga camelleo at langis...Jeddah,Saudi Arabia.

Offline bayonic

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Jul 24, 2004 at 11:49 PM »
mabuHI

where can I audition Rotel products in Manila ?
anyone seen the Rotel RSX1056 ?

thanks in advance

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #132 on: Jul 25, 2004 at 10:08 PM »
hi bro bayonic,

you may check out and audition rotel products at sound dimension at park square 1. they may have the model you are looking for :D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline slayer

• Collector
  • Spread the Irie
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Jul 25, 2004 at 10:43 PM »
You can also check out watt hifi in makati cinema square.  You have lots of options.  ;D
Scratch my TT!!

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Sep 11, 2004 at 12:34 PM »
I'm using Rotel Stereo Integrated Amp RA-985BX, its 100 wpc, with damping factor of 400. I paired it with a Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 and a Polk Audio Powered Subwoofer PSW350. Its a performer! Wharfs 8.1 had many citation. I like the end result of this duo. It has a wide soundstage, warm sounding and very natural midrange. No stinging effect of high frequencies which often cause listening fatigue. Wharf and Rotel Amp is just kinda' good combination too.

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Sep 11, 2004 at 05:47 PM »
hi letor,

welcome to pinoydvd and congrats on your set-up :D may i know what other gears are you using with your rotel amp...thanks
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Sep 14, 2004 at 01:03 PM »
hi letor,

welcome to pinoydvd and congrats on your set-up :D may i know what other gears are you using with your rotel amp...thanks

Im using my Rotel Amp for music listening only. My gears attached are  Pioneer DVD/CD Player (SACD/DVD-A) 655A,  a Kenwood CD Player, Denon Tape Deck, Kenwood Turntable (I have a lot of LP collection), Polk Audio PSW350 Powered Subwoofer, Monster Cable Interconnects for Subwoofer and audio sources.  I'm using IXOS speaker cables, bi-wired with banana type connectors for the speakers.

I used to have 30 bands/ch graphic equalizer but lately I removed it because Im more inclined to purist approach now.

Offline kid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Sep 14, 2004 at 04:52 PM »
Welcome to PinoyDVD sir!

I am also a Rotel amp user before................. now its for sale  ;D

i prefer a minimalist setup :P

Offline Narayan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Sep 14, 2004 at 09:17 PM »

Im using my Rotel Amp for music listening only. My gears attached are  Pioneer DVD/CD Player (SACD/DVD-A) 655A,  a Kenwood CD Player, Denon Tape Deck, Kenwood Turntable (I have a lot of LP collection), Polk Audio PSW350 Powered Subwoofer, Monster Cable Interconnects for Subwoofer and audio sources.  I'm using IXOS speaker cables, bi-wired with banana type connectors for the speakers.

thanks...gamit pala lahat with the various gears connected...sulit :D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC

Offline odontek

• Collector
  • Hi, bear with me I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Rotel 1065
« Reply #139 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 11:28 AM »
 :) Hi guys, what would be a good match for this amp. I was thinking of getting either a B&W or Focal JM Lab would this be a good match. Any info can surely help. Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon:D

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
Re: Rotel 1065
« Reply #140 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 01:02 PM »
what model of b&w and focal jm lab are we talking here?  care to specify bro.

:D
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline odontek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 01:05 PM »
Sir for the B&W the 7 series na floor standing I forgot the # but its not the highest model for the 7 and for the JM Lab the 726 or the 716.  :)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 01:41 PM »
The 700 series of B&W is among the finest speakers out there, only to be topped by their 800 nautulus line.  Personally, if i were to get a B&W speaker, I'd strart with the 700 series.   Might as well get the flagshp B&W sub as well.  Or Rel.  They'll make a perfect match to any Rotel amp or receiver.  Afterall, B&W voice their speakers on Rotel amps which is their official choice for amps.

Offline odontek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 01:57 PM »
Sir Av Phile, have you heard the JM Labs? I only read good things about it and I'll be auditioning them this week.  I've heard the Nautilus series with this amp but its too expensive. Sobrang layo ba nang sound diff compared to the 7 series? Would I notice it even if i'm new to this? Pasensya na sir sa mga tanong takot lang to invest on equipments baka magsisi sa huli. :) :)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 02:23 PM »
Only through ads and some forums.  Haven't heard them first hand. 

The disparity in prices between the nautulus line and the series 700 is really large.  Sonic difference may exist but that is often a matter of personal perceptions. The nautilus is used as monitor speakers for some Telarc recordings.  But their 700 series inherits most of the technologies behind the higher models at a more price-friendly level.

The only way to make sure you'd be content with your investment is to hear your shortlist first hand.  If you can audition them at home, better. You just have to compare them yourself and be prepared to make compromises based on your budget and your listening preferrnces.  Then make your choice based on the compromise that will make you happy.  You may want to google search the net for some specific models and reviews, and listen to recommendations from friends and this forum.  But at the end of the day, your value judgement is what counts.

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2004 at 02:52 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 02:35 PM »
7 series! wow, if i had the budget probably i'll get these to pair with the rotel amp  ;D
the 705 was awarded Eisa European Loudspeaker of the year so i guess that goes to show the series can speak for itself.  malayo ba difference nya sa nautilus?  di naman siguro, but much acclaimed na kasi ang nautilus and proven na sound quality ng nautilus.  yung 7 series was derived from the old cdm series if i recall it correctly.  iba rin signature ng nautilus compared to the 7 series, mas maganda coherence ng highs and lows ng nautilus.

about the focal jm labs chorus line, their floorstanders were acclaimed to have good harmonics and good coherence among tweeters, mid drivers and bass drivers compared with the 7 series floorstanders of b&w.

yep, try mo na lang kung ano gusto ng tenga mo dun sa dalawa.

okidokes  :D

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 02:54 PM »
nga pala, i'll pick the b&w of course! meron na akong brand loyalty eh hehe  ;D
i like their sound quality!

Offline odontek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 03:59 PM »
Thanks guys looks like the B&W is winning. I still have to hear the JM's though. Thank you again for all the feedback keep it coming sir.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline odontek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 04:03 PM »
Nga pala sir, meron bang specials for Pinoy DVD members. Where did you get yours?

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 04:57 PM »
ehehe you still have to listen to jm focal lab, great speakers too! so check mo din kung mas ok para sa 'yo

sadly, wala! or bihira! try mo architectural audio sa greenbelt if they carry both speakers.
yung b&w speakers marami nito, sound dimension in park square carries them.

if i remember it right, the 703 costs 150k+ pair.