Author Topic: Rotel AV Receivers/Amplifiers  (Read 135228 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rotel 1065
« Reply #150 on: Dec 21, 2004 at 05:35 PM »

if i remember it right, the 703 costs 150k+ pair. ;D

Yup, down to earth price. 

This 703 has been on my wish list for quite some time.  Still wishing and hoping to win the lotto to get it. ;D

Compare that with the giant $40,000 B&W Nautilus or about P2.3M!!!!  A pair.  And is part of their prestige or signature series. (I heard the landed cost is closer to 3M.)  This model is what started it all.  NOw this needs a lotto jackpot of around 70M.  I mean you probably need at least a 50M mansion to house a 2M speaker pair.  Or else you'd end up with the saying:  "a speaker with a house."  ;D

The newer 800 series have been rebranded as Nautilus 800, suggesting their heritage with the signature models   Starting at around 80T for their center models, if I recall right.   The floorstander pictured above I think cost short of 400T.  A pair.  And requires around 3 people to carry each.  Nice talking to the head honcho at Sound Dimension.  ;D
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2004 at 09:40 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline nephilim

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
Re: Rotel AV Receivers/Amplifiers
« Reply #151 on: Jan 03, 2005 at 03:43 PM »
av_phile1,

I actually found a Nautilus for sale (2nd hand of course) at a great price of $20,000 only.   ::)  I think it was somewhere in South America or something like that.

Of course, once you get one of these , that would mean you'd need a huge space to house them, plus eight monoblocks amps to power each of its eight drivers.   >:D

PureSound Inc.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 10:23 AM »
Nephilim,

$20,000 for a second hand speaker!!! Wow.  It's half price alright, but still requires a lotto jackpot for me. ;D  And I would hate to imagine what my excess baggage fee will look like.   ;D  Well, if i'm coming from South America, I'll most likely bring home an Inca treasure or something like out of Indiana Jones.  Not a speaker.  ;D 

And yes, you need a mansion to house something like that. Kailangan angkop din yung surroundings.  ;D

Offline nephilim

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Collector
  • PureSound Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Jan 04, 2005 at 12:25 PM »
av_phile1,

You got it.  A mansion would be suitable.  The listening room should also have a Dali or a Picasso to match the contemporary look of the Nautilus. 

;)

Sorry to veer away from the topic
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2005 at 01:09 PM by nephilim »
PureSound Inc.

Offline abj104

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "let's jam !
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Jan 12, 2005 at 08:52 PM »
mga sirs
could somebody post his review of RA-03? Thanks!

any opinion also ,im planning to get either of the 02 or 03 series
kaya lang di ko pa alam difference ng presyo at reasonable ba talaga kung 03 ang kukuhain ko?
thanks sa mga opinion in advance.

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Jan 13, 2005 at 12:11 AM »
Pls stick to the topic.

Offline odontek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, bear with me I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 03:47 PM »
Hi guys thanks for all the info. I finally got a bride for my Rotel  ;D ;D ;D Its the Focal JM Labs Cobals Series. The sound and appeal of this speakers to me are too much to resist. My next problem is the cables, does it really matter?  ???

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 03:58 PM »
To me it doesn't.  There are no scientific evidence that they matter.   Marketing claims about cables are just that - snake oils. 

Just get a well constructed OFC gauge 10 or 12 from any AV shop.   

Check out www.audioholics.com for their articles on cable snake oils.

Btw, congrats on your Rotel brides.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2005 at 04:00 PM by av_phile1 »

Online bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #158 on: Jan 14, 2005 at 04:04 PM »
Hi guys thanks for all the info. I finally got a bride for my Rotel  ;D ;D ;D Its the Focal JM Labs Cobals Series. The sound and appeal of this speakers to me are too much to resist. My next problem is the cables, does it really matter?  ???

congrats on you new gears odontek :)

as for the cables, some people find it critical. others don't. try using generic cables for now. get used to the sound your system makes. you can get the branded cables after. then you'll know whether they matter or not.

Offline odontek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Jan 23, 2005 at 02:59 PM »
Hello again, may tanong ulit mga sir. Whenever naka-on lang ang Rotel RSX 1065 ko I hear a low humming noise from my speakers,  is this normal or something is wrong with it. Is it the amp, kasi if I turn down the volume to "0" the hum disappears. What should I do? ? :-\?? Any suggestion would be most welcome.

Offline bongerds

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • audio enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #160 on: Jan 23, 2005 at 08:13 PM »
Hello again, may tanong ulit mga sir. Whenever naka-on lang ang Rotel RSX 1065 ko I hear a low humming noise from my speakers,  is this normal or something is wrong with it. Is it the amp, kasi if I turn down the volume to "0" the hum disappears. What should I do? ? :-\?? Any suggestion would be most welcome.

hindi normal yung humming noise, have you tried connecting a different amp to your speaker?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Jan 24, 2005 at 09:04 AM »
You may have some lose or open grounding on the RCA interconnects you used to connect your player.  Check the interconnects. 

Offline odontek

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Jan 24, 2005 at 01:53 PM »
If the cd player is turned off the humm is still there ??? Do you think its the amp? Does ROTEL have a service center here?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Jan 24, 2005 at 03:51 PM »
The people at Sound Dimension Glorietta can answer that.  I think they have an affiliate authorized as a Rotel service center (apart from B&W).
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2005 at 03:52 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Arnel E.

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Mar 11, 2005 at 06:23 PM »
I am still dreaming of getting a Rotel RSP-1098 and RMB-1095 combo.  Best value prepro/amp combo that I know of.
HT: Kodi on HTPC -> Marantz 6008 -> B&W MT | V: Sony W904A tv, Epson 8350 pj | controlled by Harmony

Offline 24bit

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Apr 07, 2005 at 08:37 PM »
Mga sir I recently bought RA-02. I'm quite satisfied with it kaya lang medyo hassle when I change from HT to Audio. I need to pull the speaker plug from AVR to RA-02 and vice-versa. I'm already using banana plug pero hassle pa rin. Can I use the pre-out of the AVR to connect my RA-02? Same sound kaya? If not improvement ba o distortion lang?

Any suggestion that will make my life easier without buying another separate speaker for audio? Thanks guys in advance...

Online bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #166 on: Apr 08, 2005 at 07:15 AM »
i think the preout is the way to go.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Apr 08, 2005 at 11:17 AM »
Mga sir I recently bought RA-02. I'm quite satisfied with it kaya lang medyo hassle when I change from HT to Audio. I need to pull the speaker plug from AVR to RA-02 and vice-versa. I'm already using banana plug pero hassle pa rin. Can I use the pre-out of the AVR to connect my RA-02? Same sound kaya? If not improvement ba o distortion lang?

Any suggestion that will make my life easier without buying another separate speaker for audio? Thanks guys in advance...

You have three options.

1.  Get a Speaker selector switch at ACA hardware store.  If i recall right it costs around 1T. This switch box allows you to connect to multiple speakers from a single stereo amp so you can select which stereo pair to use.  But since you have two amps and one set of speakers, you reverse the connection by treating the various speaker selector terminals as your amps and treat the terminals meant for a single amp as your speaker.  This for me is the better option as you benefit from using both gears.

2.   The other option will bypass the power amps of the Rotel.  Use the RA-02's pre-out to connect to the AVR's Main power input, NOT the line input as the pre-out already has gain.  That effectively bypasses the rotel's power amplfication.   So you only use the AVR's power amps for both audio and HT.    I hope your AVR has MAIN IN. 

Otherwise, you could connect the Rotel pre-out to any of the AVR's line ins but just tone down the volume from the Rotel as this could easily overdrive the AVR with all the harmonic distortion products. 

The problem lies if your Rotel has better power amplification than that of the AVR.

Another option will simply bypass everything from the Rotel, reducing it to a mere input selector box.  Connect the rotel's TAPE OUT to any line input of the AVR.  THis is often done if you need more inputs than your gear can accommodate; using an older integrated or preamp as a selector box.    But I don't suppose you'd want to do that with your Rotel. 

3   The Rotel can serve as the front amps for your DVDs and CDs, assuming its power amplification has about the same gain as your AVR's front amps.  That means turning ON both the Rotel and the AVR at the same time when on a 5.1 mode, and turning off the AVR when listening in stereo CD.   You connect the front L and R speakers to the Rotel.  And connect the front L and R of your DVD player to the Rotel as well as the CD player.  (This is analog connection.  Can't do this with digital connection. )   This way your rotel controls the front L and R speakers, while your AVR controls the Center and surrounds.  You can even use the AVR's vacated front L and R as your rears if you want and leave the surrounds vacant instead. Downside: you have two volume controls to fiddle when adjusting in multichannel mode.   And you can't benefit from the DSP settings on the AVR. ;D  But you'd be fine with Stereo CDs.
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2005 at 01:55 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline 24bit

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Apr 08, 2005 at 06:11 PM »
You have three options.

1.  Get a Speaker selector switch at ACA hardware store.  If i recall right it costs around 1T. This switch box allows you to connect to multiple speakers from a single stereo amp so you can select which stereo pair to use.  But since you have two amps and one set of speakers, you reverse the connection by treating the various speaker selector terminals as your amps and treat the terminals meant for a single amp as your speaker.  This for me is the better option as you benefit from using both gears.

2.   The other option will bypass the power amps of the Rotel.  Use the RA-02's pre-out to connect to the AVR's Main power input, NOT the line input as the pre-out already has gain.  That effectively bypasses the rotel's power amplfication.   So you only use the AVR's power amps for both audio and HT.    I hope your AVR has MAIN IN. 

Otherwise, you could connect the Rotel pre-out to any of the AVR's line ins but just tone down the volume from the Rotel as this could easily overdrive the AVR with all the harmonic distortion products. 

The problem lies if your Rotel has better power amplification than that of the AVR.

Another option will simply bypass everything from the Rotel, reducing it to a mere input selector box.  Connect the rotel's TAPE OUT to any line input of the AVR.  THis is often done if you need more inputs than your gear can accommodate; using an older integrated or preamp as a selector box.    But I don't suppose you'd want to do that with your Rotel. 

3   The Rotel can serve as the front amps for your DVDs and CDs, assuming its power amplification has about the same gain as your AVR's front amps.  That means turning ON both the Rotel and the AVR at the same time when on a 5.1 mode, and turning off the AVR when listening in stereo CD.   You connect the front L and R speakers to the Rotel.  And connect the front L and R of your DVD player to the Rotel as well as the CD player.  (This is analog connection.  Can't do this with digital connection. )   This way your rotel controls the front L and R speakers, while your AVR controls the Center and surrounds.  You can even use the AVR's vacated front L and R as your rears if you want and leave the surrounds vacant instead. Downside: you have two volume controls to fiddle when adjusting in multichannel mode.   And you can't benefit from the DSP settings on the AVR. ;D  But you'd be fine with Stereo CDs.

Good suggestions av_phile 1, thank you.

Option 1: I think this is the best option for me but is there any degration of sound if I use this since there is another hop before the amp instead of direct?

One more follow-up question since my speaker have 4 connectors used for bi-wiring setup. Since I won't be using bi-wiring can I use 1 pair for AVR and the other pair for Rotel?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Apr 11, 2005 at 11:49 AM »
Degradation in sonic quality will happen if the contact switches are corroded or lose.  As a guide, I'll give the selector switch a 2-year lifespan before some degradation starts. 

You can use the bi-wiring terminals on your speakers for bi-amplification using the ROTEL and the AVR to drive the HIs and the LOs of the speaker, whichever you prefer.    Just make sure both gears get the same input from your sources, using a suitable y-RCA adapter from the player to both amps.    Again your ears will decide on the balance between the hi and lo. 

Ideally, bi-amplification works best bypassing the internal crossovers of your speakers and using electronic crossovers at the pre-amp stage.  In your case, you would be utilizing the internal crossovers of the speakers if you bi-amp using the rotel integrated and a receiver.

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Apr 11, 2005 at 05:07 PM »
Guys/Gurus,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this query...

Anyone using Rotel RC-03 stereo preamp ? Kindly paki post naman your feedback regarding this premp. I 'm thinking of getting one, presently using AVR as stereo preamp.Would it improve my 2ch listening compare to using the AVR (CDP is RCD02) ?

TIA

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Apr 12, 2005 at 11:18 AM »
I should think so, unless your AVR is a flagship model.  Most AVRs perform better in multichannel digital mode than in stereo.  If your AVR has stereo direct switch that bypassess the digital circuitry as well as a video off switch that bypass the video switching circuitry, chances are it should perform well in stereo. 

The RA-03 is modestly powered.  So you may not hear much difference with your AVR especially if the AVR has twice the power of the 03.  Unless the 03 has much better stereo separation and imaging, lower THDs as well as lower noise floor for clearer detailing.   Remember that in most situations, people perceive gears that are louder as being better.  BTW, what's your AVR?
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2005 at 11:23 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline 24bit

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Apr 12, 2005 at 02:20 PM »
Degradation in sonic quality will happen if the contact switches are corroded or lose.  As a guide, I'll give the selector switch a 2-year lifespan before some degradation starts. 

You can use the bi-wiring terminals on your speakers for bi-amplification using the ROTEL and the AVR to drive the HIs and the LOs of the speaker, whichever you prefer.    Just make sure both gears get the same input from your sources, using a suitable y-RCA adapter from the player to both amps.    Again your ears will decide on the balance between the hi and lo. 

Ideally, bi-amplification works best bypassing the internal crossovers of your speakers and using electronic crossovers at the pre-amp stage.  In your case, you would be utilizing the internal crossovers of the speakers if you bi-amp using the rotel integrated and a receiver.

Thanks AV_PHILE1, I'm currently looking for a good speaker selector switch. With regards to my question sorry for not making myself clear. What I'm planning to do is to use 1 pair of my speaker terminal to connect my Rotel integrated amp and the other pair to my AVR so in that case if I go for stereo I will turn-off my AVR then for movies turn-off the Rotel Int. Amp. What do you think will be the effect? Is this possible?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Apr 12, 2005 at 03:00 PM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding there.  Let me get this, you want to use the bi-wireable terminals on your speakers to connect to both gears, pressumably without removing the jumper plates between the Hi and Lo termials of each speaker.

What you have in mind might work but kinda risky.  If for some reason you forgot to turn off the amp while using the other, there may be problems as the amp will also load on the other amp in parallel with the speaker, reducing the effective load.  I haven't personally tried this route.  An idle amp does have internal resistance at the output which, though higher than a speaker, will still receive current from another amp driving the same speaker.  As to what adverse effect this would have on the idle amp, I can only recount what a colleague did when, like you, he wired an HK citation power amp and an AVR to the same set of front speakers hoping to achieve like what you want.  After a while the HK Citation developed problems that sent it straight to the service center.  The AVR wasn't affected.  Don't ask me why.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2005 at 03:04 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Apr 12, 2005 at 03:33 PM »
I should think so, unless your AVR is a flagship model.  Most AVRs perform better in multichannel digital mode than in stereo.  If your AVR has stereo direct switch that bypassess the digital circuitry as well as a video off switch that bypass the video switching circuitry, chances are it should perform well in stereo. 

The RA-03 is modestly powered.  So you may not hear much difference with your AVR especially if the AVR has twice the power of the 03.  Unless the 03 has much better stereo separation and imaging, lower THDs as well as lower noise floor for clearer detailing.   Remember that in most situations, people perceive gears that are louder as being better.  BTW, what's your AVR?

Hi av_phile1

Presently I'm using RXV800 AV receiver but I like the sound of my Quad's stereo amplifier so I connected 3 of them on the RXV80O preout(main reason was for 2ch mode but also need to balance HT sound). RXV800 is set to direct process and effect off whenever I'm listening to 2ch stereo. Now I'm thinking of adding Rotel RC03 preamp to separate the CDP and power amps from the receiver and avoid using the Quads while on HT only.

Before I was contemplating of upgrading the RXV800 to either Azur540R or RXV1500/750 but then I will still be force to connect back my Quads, I would gain only the additional DSP,CH...etc. of the new receiver which for now I feel I dont need, happy already with 5.1 setup and adding speaker will eatup my space(2ch audio and HT will share common main via system control switch).

please check my other post http://pinoydvd.com/content/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=28&expv=0&?topic=35662.0

TIA
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2005 at 03:59 PM by KEN »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Apr 12, 2005 at 04:08 PM »
Hi av_phile1

Presently I'm using RXV800 AV receiver but I like the sound of my Quad's stereo amplifier so I connected 3 of them on the RXV80O preout(main reason was for 2ch mode but also need to balance HT sound). RXV800 is set to direct process and effect off whenever I'm listening to 2ch stereo. Now I'm thinking of adding Rotel RC03 preamp to separate the CDP and power amps from the receiver and avoid using the Quads while on HT only.

Before I was contemplating of upgrading the RXV800 to either Azur54C or RXV1500/750 but then I will still be force to connect back my Quads, I would gain only the additional DSP,CH...etc. of the new receiver which for now I feel I dont need, happy already with 5.1 setup and adding speaker will eatup my space(2ch audio and HT will share common main via system control switch).

please check my other post http://pinoydvd.com/content/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=28&expv=0&?topic=35662.0

TIA

This set-up of an AVR acting like pre-amp/processor and  mated to distinct stereo power amps in any number to match the required channels is widely used by many multichanel audio and video enthusiasts in their upgrade paths.  Many mid-priced AVRs with pre-outs make for excellent multi-channel preamp/processor that can in fact rival dedicated multichannel preamps.  In some forums I've visited, they would swear that the preamp/processor section of the already powerful Yamaha Z9 will shame any dedicated Krell or Meridian preamps costing as much. So, they promptly use it as a preamp/processor mated to even more powerful Bryston amps.

If your current AVR can bypass its video-switching and digital circuits for direct analog stereo, adding a dedicated commercial-grade stereo preamp like the RC-03 may not yield dramatic improvements.  What makes for excellent analog stereo is the simplicity in the audio path.  The RC-03 does this, but so would an AVR if it truly bypasses the digital and video-switching circuits for a direct route from source to power amps.  An argument can be made that the volume control of most AVR operates in the digital domain so that a portion of the digital circuitry converting analog input to digital and back remains.  That's valid enough to use a purely analog preamp if you like.  Then again, if you can audition it and compare with the direct-stereo mode of your AVR, let your ears be the judge.

Why do you want to get rid of the Quads in HT mode?    Unless your AVR's power amps are indeed more powerful, your HT will definitely benefit from more musical amps.  But I guess doing so would help reduce the electric bill.  Your unloaded AVR amps are still consuming idle current afterall.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2005 at 04:11 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #176 on: Apr 12, 2005 at 06:02 PM »
This set-up of an AVR acting like pre-amp/processor and  mated to distinct stereo power amps in any number to match the required channels is widely used by many multichanel audio and video enthusiasts in their upgrade paths.  Many mid-priced AVRs with pre-outs make for excellent multi-channel preamp/processor that can in fact rival dedicated multichannel preamps.  In some forums I've visited, they would swear that the preamp/processor section of the already powerful Yamaha Z9 will shame any dedicated Krell or Meridian preamps costing as much. So, they promptly use it as a preamp/processor mated to even more powerful Bryston amps.

If your current AVR can bypass its video-switching and digital circuits for direct analog stereo, adding a dedicated commercial-grade stereo preamp like the RC-03 may not yield dramatic improvements.  What makes for excellent analog stereo is the simplicity in the audio path.  The RC-03 does this, but so would an AVR if it truly bypasses the digital and video-switching circuits for a direct route from source to power amps.  An argument can be made that the volume control of most AVR operates in the digital domain so that a portion of the digital circuitry converting analog input to digital and back remains.  That's valid enough to use a purely analog preamp if you like.  Then again, if you can audition it and compare with the direct-stereo mode of your AVR, let your ears be the judge.

Why do you want to get rid of the Quads in HT mode? Unless your AVR's power amps are indeed more powerful, your HT will definitely benefit from more musical amps. But I guess doing so would help reduce the electric bill. Your unloaded AVR amps are still consuming idle current afterall.

av_phile1, I'm not sure if the RXV has a direct by pass  it only says "direct process"  but any adjustment on bass or treble control has no effect on the sound however DSP mode can still be selected.

I'm incline on the RC03 bec. I can utilize the 12v trigger of it to control my RCD02.

Sir Baka ma O.T. incase I go for RXV1500 or 750 can you give your feedback on my query here (one advantage of the receiver I guest is for Multich listening).

http://pinoydvd.com/content/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=28&expv=0&?topic=35353.msg449749#msg449749

TIA

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Apr 13, 2005 at 10:38 AM »
I am not entirely familiar with the Yamaha models you have in mind, except to say that the 1700 is among the current models of Yamaha and newer than the 750. Both seem to share the same specs and features.  Check out the yamaha site:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV_series.htm

I personally would go for the newer model.  So I assume you would have a dedicated HT using this Yamaha and a separate stereo set-up using Rotel player/preamp + Quad, right?

Offline KEN

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Apr 13, 2005 at 04:48 PM »
I am not entirely familiar with the Yamaha models you have in mind, except to say that the 1700 is among the current models of Yamaha and newer than the 750. Both seem to share the same specs and features.  Check out the yamaha site:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV_series.htm

I personally would go for the newer model.  So I assume you would have a dedicated HT using this Yamaha and a separate stereo set-up using Rotel player/preamp + Quad, right?

Hi Av_phile1...dont have yet the separated system still deciding either to get the Yammy RX1500 or go for the Rotel RC03...but my concern for now is to improve my 2ch audio listening. For now I'm more incline to get Rotel RC03 since I'm still ok with my 5.1 HT setup only holding me back is that since Rotel RC03 is their entry level preamp, improvement I would get might not be that significant as per money spent compare to getting the RXV1500.

But going to the Rotel RCD02/RC03/Quad route will save me enough extra cash to get the RXV750 in the comming months, upgrading both my HT and Audio setup and at the same time partially separating them on the process.

What do you think...?

TIA

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Apr 13, 2005 at 05:16 PM »
Try auditioning the 1500 and see if its stereo direct bypass mode is better than what you have now. The Rc-03 is an entry level preamp but like most Rotels, they're still much better designed and constructed than the preamp sections of many entry level to md=priced receivers and integrateds. Separates are still preferred among audiophiles.   Having said that, it's posible that any improvement would be incremental, not dramatic.   

If you can audition and make comparisons between the RC03 and the 1500's stereo direct mode, that should help you decide.  And if you plan to have a separate stereo and HT rigs as your final set-up, then I guess, getting the RC-03 now would finally settle your desire to simplify the stereo set-up since, you already have an HT rig anyway.   Then save up for the desired HT upgrade later. 

The 1500 does have a lot of bells and whistle like the YPAO room equalization feature you can play with.  SOmetimes those features can be very attractive and would overshadow something as simple as the RC03.  And there's a good chance the 1500 can also play great stereo in bypass mode.  Theory is one thing, and actually hearing it is another.  I really suggest you make a test comparison between the two. It's very difficult to give an advice one way or the other expecially when my gut feel tells me the benefits either way could be very incremental.  Let you ears decide, I always say.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2005 at 05:22 PM by av_phile1 »