Author Topic: King Kong (2005) R3  (Read 24725 times)

Offline hemisphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: KING KONG
« Reply #180 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 01:56 AM »

With all the flak this title is getting, maybe I can just wait for the sale later this year.  Then replace the amaray case.   ;D

i think this is your next best solution. im waiting for this to appear.

take it easy.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #181 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 02:11 AM »
If we don't buy from them anymore.  They will think of how to bring the prices even lower.  They are not collectors like us.  The thinking of a businessman is different from a collector.  So put youself in the possition of the owners of Magna.  How can I have bigger profit.  One is to cut cost buy importing only the disc or worst replicating it locally and do the printing packaging here in the philippines.  I you do that the cost would be 50 to 100 pesos. And the SRP is 895 tapos buy one take one.  Big profit parin.  We can't blame them for that.  Not all of us here in the Philippines who buy DVD's from Astro or any other stores are members of Pinoydvd.  Lets say mga 20 to 30 % lang tayo sa market nila.  So even though we all go to Magna para magrally hindi rin tayo papansinin.  And sa hirap ng buhay ngayon we are budgeting are expense sa mga dvd's.  Syempre for all of us we want to buy the best editions from other countries like the Japan,UK,R1 us releses.  Pero it higher than 895 pesos and we all know that it's gonna be better than the local release.  But we have the choice.  Either buy the crappy local 895 release which have a promo or settle for the import.  Wala nang tayong choice from local distributors.  Tayo rin naman nagpupush para gawin nila yun.  Dati we complain for the very high price pero ngayon binaba nila and yet we complain.  Pero seriously.  Hindi kopa nakukuha reservation ko from Astro Makati.  Pwede naman siguro ibili ng ibang item yun. :)

thumbs up!

sorry to re-quote this very long post. i stand by this enlightened perspective.

at the end of the day, we create our own reality. it's a choice. either you live by default or do something better. it's all about choices...

pero yung local release ng King Kong is the funniest release i have ever seen... and own.   ;D ;D

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 02:13 AM »
If we want free enterprise regarding dvds, they should open up the market also for R1 dvds. In that case you have the option to choose whether to buy R1 or R3. Its not that I'm defensive on R1 dvds, their packaging now also sucks. If you want to shell out your hard earned money, then go for the quality one.

are you suggesting we all go the LE way? hahahahaha. expensive bro.

;D ;) 8)

but a cool idea. and also, not all the world is america. and re R1, this is a global policy which cant be alter i the near future. let's cross our fingers when HDDVD/blu-ray launches.

8)
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006 at 02:15 AM by hemisphere »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 02:21 AM »
..... Only Warner seems to have done the right reaction.

Warner's direction is a regional move. prices in all asian countries (except japan) are relatively low compared to western hemisphere's market.

im not sure about the real reason but i believe it's to address the piracy issue. firewired can be a good resource person re this topic.

luckily, we have a warner office locally which can support and implement regional efforts.

8)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 05:36 AM »

are you suggesting we all go the LE way? hahahahaha. expensive bro.

;D ;) 8)

but a cool idea. and also, not all the world is america. and re R1, this is a global policy which cant be alter i the near future. let's cross our fingers when HDDVD/blu-ray launches.

8)

Why not hem? Imagine those LE's on display at all Astro branches hehehe. They used to do it before on the early years of dvds during the late 90's. Saw SILENCE OF THE LAMBS CC on their shelf. But then, that will be another topic.  ;)

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 05:43 AM »
Lets put it this way.. if you have the dough to buy the better one..then theres no option of arguement or comparison.this is my point of view.everyone deserves thier own. ;D ;D ;D ;D

peace!!!

Offline nash929

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Jai Guru Deva Om
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 09:00 AM »
For me, this is the worst release of a Big Movie in R3. Everything seemed so bad. I was very excited about this release seing all the posted pics of the releases in other countries. I guess what the Distributors have in mind is : "what the heck, marami pa rin namang bibili nito kahit na bara bara lang ang packaging and layout". In reality, not all of us "collector's" can afford to buy our DVDs from other countries or order them online. This is a sad sad scenario here in the philippines. I don't think the local distributors really care about investing enough resources in DVDs. I don't think they really appreciate DVDs, in general. No doubt DVD's are popular these days, but not to the extent that it reached other countries.

This is what makes me re-think of buying DVDs from our local video stores. I got alot of titles in mind that i would love to have, but are never available in our video stores.

Back to the release of KK. even though the contents are excellent for me, I don't think the actual discs would last. Especially the prints on the Disc. Well, i guess ill just have to be contended w/ what i have for now. I guess ill try to save up to get another copy :-) , but I will not buy it from our local realeases.

Oh, well, back to watching KK, until it lasts! :-)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 11:26 AM »
Snap Vs. Keep cases, huh? Its a wise move on Warner's part. Think about it, the durability of those keep cases as oppose to the cheap, fragile snap ones. And besides there were no inserts on those snap cases. Throw them 10 feet to the ground and lets see if they will torn into pieces.  ;D

Snapper cases were more expensive to produce than amaray cases with inserts.  Printing on heavy paper gauge with special die-cutting to fit the plastic frame beats printing single coated paper sleeves and inserting into single molded amaray cases by a factor of 3 to 1.  (I should know, I came from an airline department that required a lot of printing jobs.)   And warner seems to have done it more to please their stockholders than their market.   ;D  My point was in relation to the discussion.  It's a lot easier to go cheap using amaray case, as what is hapenning now with those lousy printing on thin paper and wrinkled amaray clear plastics, than to go cheap with snapper cases. The only way to go cheap on snappers is to do a black and white printing using less paper weight, which I have not seen so far in any WB I have.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006 at 12:27 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 12:22 PM »
if one is dissastified with the packaging, dont buy it.

I am dissatisfied with pirated DVD packaging.  But I still get one because at P70, I have no reason to complain.  But starting at P350, I will.   Much more so at P895.  People have different value perceptions and the degree of dissatisfaction or satisfaction for a product is price-sensitive.   :)

there are actually 12 existing known versions of this title. can easily purchased via marketplace sellers.  if one cant afford the dvd or the technology, learn not to stretch.

this is a free enterprise and for almost all forms of businesses, profit is the ultimate driver and object for operation. many items have been discussed but.. in a nutshell, the issue here is all about customer satisfaction.

;)

True, we have free enterprise.  And at the rate local distributors are churning out lousy products, am  not all surprised if every serious collector will be getting their DVDs from Amazon or Korea exclusively.  I'm no serious collector, but I can appreciate a good packaging when I see one.  And I certainly can understand the dissappointment looking at a title you eagerly awaited only to get turned off at a lousy packaging that doesn't square nicely with its price tag.   That's the issue.  It's a foregone conclusion that customer satisfaction is not in their agenda.   ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006 at 12:24 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 12:34 PM »
Warner's direction is a regional move. prices in all asian countries (except japan) are relatively low compared to western hemisphere's market.

im not sure about the real reason but i believe it's to address the piracy issue. firewired can be a good resource person re this topic.

luckily, we have a warner office locally which can support and implement regional efforts.

8)

Reducing the price is a sure way to beat piracy.  Other than raiding them every hour of the day.  ;D

But not at the expense of decent packaging.  Like what Magna seems to be doing.

Warner seems to be getting some results.  I certainly have no urge to get pirated warner titles, unless it's a title I like that Astro doesn't carry. ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006 at 12:39 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Koolkat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #190 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 01:32 PM »
What really dissapoints me with this release is that it does not have an extensive list of special features. Most of it  is just a rehash from the Production Diaries w/c can be bought separately. Makes me wonder about the Extended Edition. Baka they will just rehash all the contents from the Production Diaries DVD. Wag naman sana.
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #191 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 01:36 PM »
even though the contents are excellent for me, I don't think the actual discs would last.

How did you come to that conclusion? Because of the bad packaging?

I have hundreds of Magnavision R3 titles, many of which are over five years old. ALL have lasted without any problems. It's actually some my R1 titles that didn't last, like Boogie Nights, Spartacus, From the Earth to the Moon, Halloween, etc., despite their good packaging.

What really dissapoints me with this release is that it does not have an extensive list of special features. Most of it  is just a rehash from the Production Diaries w/c can be bought separately.

No, it's not. It's the Post-Production Diaries - the continuation of the Production Diaries, completely different from what was previously released.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006 at 01:44 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 01:37 PM »
av_phile1, with all the OT stuff discussed, what is the best solution from a consumer standpoint?

---------

Koolkat, the contents of the PD is different from the features included in the KK release. the world received the same set of features and contents... except for the DTS audio track in some european countries.

8)

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006 at 01:54 PM by hemisphere »

Offline Koolkat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #193 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 01:50 PM »

No, it's not. It's the Post-Production Diaries - the continuation of the Production Diaries, completely different from what was previously released.

Thanks. It's nice to know I can still buy PD nang hindi masyadong nanghihinayang.  ;D
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 02:11 PM »
av_phile1, with all the OT stuff discussed, what is the best solution from a consumer standpoint?

If there was we wouldn't be discussing it, would we? 

This thread appears to be just a venting of disappointments with no resolution in sight.   You have vendors selling adulterated packaging to consumers who complain about it but keeps buying them in disgust.  I don't see any solution as long as consumerism is not that strong in this country.

Offline toyfanatic

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • "ExEpTiOnAl ClArItY"
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 02:28 PM »

if people are so disgusted with this release...why did they bought it in the first place?

Offline vp_ortiz

• DVD Addict
  • Superhero
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 02:39 PM »
if people are so disgusted with this release...why did they bought it in the first place?

i think the members here reserved a copy because of the free DVD promo. they never had the idea that the King Kong DVD packaging was that bad. kung pwede lang siguro i refund yung reservation nila, gagawin nila... as for me, hintay ko nlng yung extended. as for the people na bumili nung release knowing the problem pero ngrereact pa din dun sa packaging,,, bkit nga nila binili?  ;)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 02:41 PM »
good answer av_phile1. how about as a dvd collector? what is the best solution?

8)

Offline nash929

• Collector
  • Jai Guru Deva Om
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 03:04 PM »
How did you come to that conclusion? Because of the bad packaging?

Sir Hanky, actually, its kind of joke, really. Anyway, I wasn't talking about the actual packaging, but the prints on the disc. The one I got is already starting to peel off from the disc, so i think you may understand where my frustration is coming from. I hate to bring back anything i already bought. I just never felt to do that, I simply stop buying at that store.

In relation to those who say, 'If you don't like the packaging, then dont buy it', in my defense, (1) I reserved a copy to avail of the free DVD promo, and (2) I wasn't able to pick up the copy myself, I just had it picked it up for me.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #199 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 03:44 PM »
If the disc print is peeling off the disc, then I think you should really return it. Astro's very good with exchanges for defective products, anyway. Sorry you have to go through the effort, though.

I was lucky enough to get one that isn't peeling, and other than their "budget" releases, I've never had any reason to complain about the actual discs released by Magna. I really feel they're getting too much of a bum rap already on this thread just because of their lousy packaging, which is why I came out defensive when you said you didn't expect the discs to last. I've long been very satisfied with the quality of Magnavision's non-budget edition discs.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006 at 04:07 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 03:51 PM »
good answer av_phile1. how about as a dvd collector? what is the best solution?

8)

I bought a number of DVDs with lousy packaging for which disgust at it may be too strong a word, but nonetheless, I bought knowing I can do something to make the packaging less offensive, like replacing them with a better amaray cases.  DVD enthusiasts buy DVDs mainly because of the disc, so while they can be grumbling at the packaging, I'm sure watching the DVD pics is the more compelling reason to get it, especially if they know, like I do, that they can replace the case with a better one sooner or later.

OTOH, for serious DVD collectors, there's really little inducement from the local choices, especially when they have the resources to get better packaged or featured DVDs online or in other countries.  As collectors, they have to be prepared to support their preferrences in the hobby they have chosen.  I don't expect them to grumble over Magna, Viva or C-interactive  packages, I expect them to snob these and act as if they don't exist.   I hope I answered your question, Hemisphere.

I am no DVD collector, I just want to watch movies in the comfort of my home.  And for my DVD money, I just want decent packaging.  I suppose many here would like that as well.  Forums such as this allow us to vent our dissappointments over some locallly distributed DVD titles with packaging I personally feel is a rub out for the price I pay.  And until  some potent consumer advocacy groups start lobbying for our interests, that's the most we poor DVD addicts can do - grumble in forums.  The studios would like us poor DVD addicts to patronize only legal DVDs.  Warner seems to be doing a good job.  The rest is giving me an excuse not to.  299 and 350 may seem a great bargain  from the old 900 and 895 pricing.  But not if they get to look like those P70 titles in Quiapo.  Even worst when I see many of those 750 titles from Disney VIVA that really look like one.   But rather than get those Pdvds, I would like to think I've developed the patience to wait when they eventually and inescapably go on SALE.   ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006 at 04:13 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 04:12 PM »
there goes your answer. i think there is no point in complaining. airing our side is one thing. it wont help and it has never been an effective route in getting the ideal value or money's worth. there has been no documented case study proving that local studios actually listen and enact in behalf of our collective feedback. pinoydvd's market share is too small a percentage to influence pricing scheme and packaging implementations. 

the answer is simple.. dont buy it

to those who have purchased this dvd, air your side. after this P895 tragedy, i am sure you're 100% smarter now.

8)

----------------

nash929, request for an exchange. HK discs and the local discs are completely identical.

8)

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2006 at 04:15 PM by hemisphere »

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 08:50 PM »
i think the OT discussion is now getting interesting more than the DVD release itself, hehehe ;D ;D ;D......kidding aside, i saw a copy of this yesterday at astroPLUS SM City Cebu, ang PANGIT nga talaga!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(sorry, i just can't help it) 8)

Offline aldrinpsx

• DVD Guru
  • Region 1 fanatic!!!!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 09:41 PM »
i think the OT discussion is now getting interesting more than the DVD release itself, hehehe ;D ;D ;D......kidding aside, i saw a copy of this yesterday at astroPLUS SM City Cebu, ang PANGIT nga talaga!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Go for the region 1...you wont be dissapointed. ;D ;D ;D

peace!!!

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 09:59 PM »
double your pride and get the R3 HK LE... hehehehe.

;D ;D

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 10:01 PM »

If they will sell it at 250 bucks, maybe I would grab a copy now.  ;D

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 10:03 PM »
Go for the region 1...you wont be dissapointed. ;D ;D ;D

peace!!!

double your pride and get the R3 HK LE... hehehehe.

;D ;D

.......or control myself & wait for the EE, hehehe ;D ;D ;D

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 10:16 PM »
the EE is rumored to be released on august or november. nobody can wait that long. give your HT Setup a good workout sir.

hehehehehe.

;)

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 10:21 PM »
the EE is rumored to be released on august or november. nobody can wait that long. give your HT Setup a good workout sir.

hehehehehe.

;)

naku, ang tagal pa nga nun, hehehe ;D........di pa tapos renovation ng HT namin eh :(

Offline nash929

• Collector
  • Jai Guru Deva Om
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Apr 01, 2006 at 11:15 AM »

Sir Hankey, I heeded your advice and had my copy returned to Astro last night, well, they were apologetic about it, so no more reklamo from me,  ;D.  Actually, I must admit that this is the first Magna release that I encountered with this kind of a problem, don't know what happened here, but anyway, the Discs are working naman, so, Im quite pleased. I think I have to make my own packaging, hehehe.

Regarding an EE release of KingKong, I am having second thoughts whether they would indeed release it, but I really am looking forward to it. If

Indeed, this experience made most of us wiser :).