Author Topic: ONKYO AVR  (Read 536780 times)

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ONKYO AVR
« Reply #1950 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 12:21 PM »
Regulations in most EU countries prohibit/discourage banana plugs for safety reasons.  

EU electrical outlets have round holes, so there's a danger of accidentally connecting banana plugs into wall outlets.  

The audio industry should have addressed the issue by adopting a world standard for banana plugs.

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM by barrister »

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #1951 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 01:04 PM »
I see, thanks for info sir!  ;)

So confirmed na yung Asian version ng Onkyo does not accept banana plugs?
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1952 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 01:22 PM »
I see, thanks for info sir!  ;)

So confirmed na yung Asian version ng Onkyo does not accept banana plugs?

Sir, I own a locally purchased 608 and I use Audioquest banana plugs.  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011 at 02:36 PM by jao143 »
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1953 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 01:43 PM »
Sir, I own a locally purchased 608 and I use Audioest banana plugs.  :)

Ah oki. Nakalagay kasi sa manual US/Taiwan versions only.

Thanks for the heads up. ;)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Online Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2395
« Reply #1954 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 08:49 PM »
What player are you using where this is happening?

Lately I've been using my bd player, xtreamer and mede8er. I think its mostly its my bd player. I use hdmi to receiver then hdmi to hdtv. Sometimes I adjust the A/V sync to 200ms. That's really high diba?

I'm doing some more tests just to be sure.

Thanks

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 806
« Reply #1955 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 08:55 PM »
Lately I've been using my bd player, xtreamer and mede8er. I think its mostly its my bd player. I use hdmi to receiver then hdmi to hdtv. Sometimes I adjust the A/V sync to 200ms. That's really high diba?

I'm doing some more tests just to be sure.

Thanks

My A/V sync is at 0 ms and I have no problems at all.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Online Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #1956 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 09:04 PM »
My A/V sync is at 0 ms and I have no problems at all.

hmm don't know whats wrong with mine, but I notice the delay, so have to adjust it that high. But I will do some more testing.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1957 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 09:24 PM »
hmm don't know whats wrong with mine, but I notice the delay, so have to adjust it that high. But I will do some more testing.

brader raymund, have you tried watching the BDs in a different set up say living room or bedroom(im assuming you have a dedicated HT room). I just thought about it but i may not have technical reasonings on this but the room might have a contribution ot the delays( again just a thought), the BD player may also is causing this and not the receiver, best way perhaps is to isolate everything, it maybe tedious but it can lead you to the real culprit
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Online Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #1958 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 09:49 PM »
brader raymund, have you tried watching the BDs in a different set up say living room or bedroom(im assuming you have a dedicated HT room). I just thought about it but i may not have technical reasonings on this but the room might have a contribution ot the delays( again just a thought), the BD player may also is causing this and not the receiver, best way perhaps is to isolate everything, it maybe tedious but it can lead you to the real culprit

Hi bro Tirso, hehe My dedicated ht room is in my bedroom ;D. I don't think its the room. But I will indeed do some more testing bec. its really odd. You will really notice it. The problem now is I watched so many movies from bds to nmt's so I don't really know which one is the culprit. ;D. I just ignored the first couple of times this happened. But when it happened more frequently, it suddenly got my attention.

Actually my wife is the first one that noticed it. Siempre ako, being macho macho ;D, videophile haha joke joke, told her na "Wala naman ah, you're dreaming ata ;D" Then, I actually noticed it afterwards haha. She keeps making fun of my avr upgrade ;D. "Ano ba yan bakit ganun, gumastos ka malaki tapos ganun pala" you know mga Mrs. torture taunts. ;D.

Tonight I just watched The Other Guys and its ok naman. Will indeed do more testing and let you guys know. Baka naman its my nmts, the downloads.

Thanks bro
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011 at 09:51 PM by Moks007 »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #1959 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 09:53 PM »
Can anybody confirm this? I read in the manual that using of Banana Plugs in EU is prohibited. And EU and Asian models are made the same.

And also, the reason behind the prohibition? :D
my 508 has banana plugs, and is from SnS.  ill pm the new owner and ask if it asian or EU  :)
btw yung cover ng baba plugs sa likod is really hard to remove, parang permanent, nahirapan din kami nung tech ng SnS tanggalin yun.  he even offered to remove it himself dahil mahirap daw talagang tanggalin.
« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2011 at 09:55 PM by ninjababez® »
ninjababez online ..

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 806
« Reply #1960 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM »
Hi bro Tirso, hehe My dedicated ht room is in my bedroom ;D. I don't think its the room. But I will indeed do some more testing bec. its really odd. You will really notice it. The problem now is I watched so many movies from bds to nmt's so I don't really know which one is the culprit. ;D. I just ignored the first couple of times this happened. But when it happened more frequently, it suddenly got my attention.

Actually my wife is the first one that noticed it. Siempre ako, being macho macho ;D, videophile haha joke joke, told her na "Wala naman ah, you're dreaming ata ;D" Then, I actually noticed it afterwards haha. She keeps making fun of my avr upgrade ;D. "Ano ba yan bakit ganun, gumastos ka malaki tapos ganun pala" you know mga Mrs. torture taunts. ;D.

Tonight I just watched The Other Guys and its ok naman. Will indeed do more testing and let you guys know. Baka naman its my nmts, the downloads.

Thanks bro

This is just a guess but check the HDMI cables that they are not bent at extreme angles.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1961 on: Jan 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM »

Thanks bro

if the receiver has auto calibration, try re calibrating might help

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1962 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 12:44 AM »

I don't think I got that.

Is the audio already delayed when the receiver is set to 0 ms? 

If so, then adding 200ms delay on the receiver will worsen the problem, di ba?

Online Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #1963 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 08:21 AM »
I don't think I got that.

Is the audio already delayed when the receiver is set to 0 ms? 

If so, then adding 200ms delay on the receiver will worsen the problem, di ba?

Yes the audio is delayed when its at 0 ms. I never adjusted the a/v sync sa menu when I bought it, until I noticed the audio not jiving with the video. The mouth will move first then the audio will come out (or its the other way around. Double check ko lang) I actually don't know how the ms work. ;D I tried to go negative (below zero) but it won't, it just goes positive ata. This is the reason I increased the ms bit by bit ;D. Nag jive siya sa 200ms (which is the max)

Thanks guys. I will do some testing this weekend.

if the receiver has auto calibration, try re calibrating might help

This is just a guess but check the HDMI cables that they are not bent at extreme angles.

Thanks very much, will check on this.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1964 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 09:24 AM »
Yes the audio is delayed when its at 0 ms. I never adjusted the a/v sync sa menu when I bought it, until I noticed the audio not jiving with the video. The mouth will move first then the audio will come out (or its the other way around. Double check ko lang) I actually don't know how the ms work. ;D I tried to go negative (below zero) but it won't, it just goes positive ata. This is the reason I increased the ms bit by bit ;D. Nag jive siya sa 200ms (which is the max)

If the audio syncs when you add 200 ms (milliseconds), it means the audio was advanced when the setting is at 0 ms.  Talagang positive adjustments lang ang puwede, walang negative.  Receivers can only delay the audio, but they can't advance it.

If you thought the audio was delayed at 0 ms, hindi naman nakakapagtaka yon, confusing kasi talaga.  However, even if you're not sure whether the audio is delayed or advanced, there's still one thing that you're sure of ---- the audio is out of sync ;).

The reason why receivers have an option for delaying the audio is because it's the video that's usually delayed.  When the TV processes the video signal, the processing causes a delay in the video output, which causes the audio to seem advanced.  To get things back in sync, the receiver can compensate by delaying the audio.

The problem is when the audio is delayed.  There's no way to advance it.

Do you have an LCD TV?  Maybe the TV is doing too much processing such as 24p, MotionFlow, etc.  Try turning off the processing features on the TV and see if video output will be faster.

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2011 at 06:57 PM by barrister »

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1965 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 09:28 AM »
Grabe ang price drops for the 608 and 708 over at Amazon. 608 only selling at around 380US$ and the 708 at 684US$.

Hope it translates to lower prices here as well.

Offline brogger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1966 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 09:37 AM »
Question lang po, which would match well with a 608: MA RX2 or B&W 685?

Offline XmetaL

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1967 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM »
Question lang po, which would match well with a 608: MA RX2 or B&W 685?

i'd also want to try those MA RX2.....

i'm currently using the 608's with my 685's and find them a better match than those i previously auditioned like the polks, paradigms and infinitys. i like the laid back sound that i'm getting in my current set up. the others were too harsh for me like the HK & 685 combination.

depends really on what type of audio you are into. music or movies ?

Offline brogger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1968 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 05:21 PM »
50/50 for music and video.

Im after the Rx2 mainly for the looks (available in White). Searched the net for positive feedback for the MA Rx & 608 but not much talk about this combi. The CM5 series is also in my shortlist but a bit outside the budget, hoping B&W would make a limited edition white. I just prefer the 20ish look of gloss finish.

Online Moks007

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
« Reply #1969 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 09:18 PM »
If the audio syncs when you add 200 ms (milliseconds), it means the audio was advanced when the setting is at 0 ms.  Talagang positive adjustments lang ang puwede, walang negative.  Receivers can only delay the audio, but they can't advance it.

If you thought the audio was delayed at 0 ms, hindi naman nakakapagtaka yon, confusing kasi talaga.  However, even if you're not sure whether the audio is delayed or advanced, there's still one thing that you're sure of ---- the audio is out of sync ;).

The reason why receivers have an option for delaying the audio is because it's the video that's usually delayed.  When the TV processes the video signal, the processing causes a delay in the video output, which causes the audio to seem advanced.  To get things back in sync, the receiver can compensate by delaying the audio.

The problem is when the audio is delayed.  There's no way to advance it.

Do you have an LCD TV?  Maybe the TV is doing too much processing such as 24p, MotionFlow, etc.  Try turning off the processing features on the TV and see if video output will be faster.

hi Sir Barrister, thanks very much for the info. I have a led tv and I turn all post processing off naman. I know my bd player is set on 24p ata (will double check). I haven't tested it, but I'm now watching hellboy 2 ;D A/v is in perfect sync and when I check my onkyo menu its set nga on 200ms. For now,  ;D as long as its ok hehe, I'm fine. But I know it shouldn't be like that. I will try recalibrating with the audyssey mic and also check my cables. Really weird. Thanks again sir, will keep you guys updated.

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1970 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 09:21 PM »
my 508 has banana plugs, and is from SnS.  ill pm the new owner and ask if it asian or EU  :)
btw yung cover ng baba plugs sa likod is really hard to remove, parang permanent, nahirapan din kami nung tech ng SnS tanggalin yun.  he even offered to remove it himself dahil mahirap daw talagang tanggalin.

Ah so merong harang sa butas ung mga Asian/EU version and you just have to force pull it? Sa US version kasi butas talaga.

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1971 on: Jan 22, 2011 at 09:23 PM »
hi Sir Barrister, thanks very much for the info. I have a led tv and I turn all post processing off naman. I know my bd player is set on 24p ata (will double check). I haven't tested it, but I'm now watching hellboy 2 ;D A/v is in perfect sync and when I check my onkyo menu its set nga on 200ms. For now,  ;D as long as its ok hehe, I'm fine. But I know it shouldn't be like that. I will try recalibrating with the audyssey mic and also check my cables. Really weird. Thanks again sir, will keep you guys updated.

Sir, try the suggestion in previous post to check the HDMI cable if bent. And then if you have other HDMI cable lying around, try it out also. :)

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #1972 on: Jan 23, 2011 at 01:11 PM »
i get to check the Onkyo 807/HTRC180 Thread in AVSFORUM and last night there were several disucssions about the Audyssey Mic that comes with the 807/180. Apparently the mics are labelled ACM1 and is found to be the wrong mic, it should have been ACM1H. They were saying Onkyo is willing to replace the mic with the correct one, I tried my luck by sending an emaiulo to the Onkyo office. The discussion mentions inaccurate results because of the ACM1.

anyone familiar with this issue ???

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #1973 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM »
Nagsimula ko nang mapansin yung A/V sync issue that is being discussed here just after reading the comments here.  ::)

bakit ganun?
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1974 on: Jan 24, 2011 at 11:57 AM »
Nagsimula ko nang mapansin yung A/V sync issue that is being discussed here just after reading the comments here.  ::)

bakit ganun?

Kasi you looked for it na hehe! Nakita mo ang hinahanap mo...  ;D

Offline ivo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • meat is murder
  • Liked:
« Reply #1975 on: Jan 25, 2011 at 08:01 PM »
Ah so merong harang sa butas ung mga Asian/EU version and you just have to force pull it? Sa US version kasi butas talaga.

Sir Tempter, I own a 606 and an A-9755 both are EU versions. Both are capable of banana plugs, may takip lang na red plastic for + and black for -, simply pry them off with a small flat driver then plug in your banana plugs.

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1976 on: Jan 26, 2011 at 04:07 PM »
onkyo 508 and 608 in stock again. you can reach me at 0917-3273083 or 216-1948. :)

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1977 on: Jan 26, 2011 at 04:52 PM »
Anybody experienced audio drop out when connecting PC via hdmi?

How about video signal loss in intervals? Or handshake issues?

TIA

Offline stalkermania

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1978 on: Jan 26, 2011 at 11:04 PM »
Anybody experienced audio drop out when connecting PC via hdmi?

How about video signal loss in intervals? Or handshake issues?

TIA

Na-eexperience ko sa 608 yung audio drop out pero sa simula lang.
kasi gamit ko laptop as my player... lumalabas yung audio sa laptop hindi sa receiver.
ang correction lang na ginagawa ko is either I choose another hdmi input using the controls, then return to my original input or manually reconnecting the hdmi port on my laptop. ok na afterwards.

but for video signal loss or handshake issues... so far, wala naman...

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1979 on: Jan 27, 2011 at 10:16 AM »
Na-eexperience ko sa 608 yung audio drop out pero sa simula lang.
kasi gamit ko laptop as my player... lumalabas yung audio sa laptop hindi sa receiver.
ang correction lang na ginagawa ko is either I choose another hdmi input using the controls, then return to my original input or manually reconnecting the hdmi port on my laptop. ok na afterwards.

but for video signal loss or handshake issues... so far, wala naman...

What do u mean by that sir? You mean in the laptop settings? or the Receiver?

I have a suspect na, probably my generic HDMI cable is too long, or my NVIDIA card is having a hard time sending a good HDMI Audio/Video Signal.

Saken naman kasi paputol putol yung sound, ok ang video, pero yung sound intermittent. Tapos sa LCD display ng receiver yung HDMI minsan nagbiblink.

Although medyo magulo, dahil pag sa PC hdmi ng receiver ko kinakabit nagbiblink ung HDMI at walang sound na lumalabas, pero pag sa VCR/DVR hdmi port ko kinakabit may sound kaso paputol-putol. Kaya baka may problema sila sa isa't isa hehe!