Author Topic: anong astig na dvd burner?  (Read 40971 times)

Offline [dcw]aaron

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
anong astig na dvd burner?
« on: May 26, 2006 at 10:45 PM »
i'm planning to buy one eh yung ok ang quality pero di gaano mabigat sa bulsa..help naman mga sir..paki indicate ng brand and model..tnx!

i heard na yung LiteOn dvd burners eh namimili ng media..so far yung BenQ 1640 ang ok sa mga nababasa ko dito..any suggestions po? or pwde na yung BenQ?
Samsung PS51D491 51" Plasma 3D
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline Battousai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Akatsuki Leader
  • Liked:
Re: anong astig na dvd burner?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006 at 11:17 PM »
I used to ask the same question when I was canvassing a DVD-writer. I enede-up with BenQ DW1640, which I bought at Villman West Ave. for 2.8K (if I remember it right). I was looking for a no-frills and cheap DVD burner and I'm glad to say that the DW1640 was just right for me.

All burns I did with it are OK naman and the most "expensive" media I've used on it was a Ridata DVD-R. I used generic (cheap!) DVD-Rs to back-up files and to make home video DVDs. Everything went well naman. As far as movie playback, it was smooth as silk. I just wished they used a different LED color to show if the drive is burning or reading.

Offline joey

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006 at 11:52 PM »
im using a lite on DVD RW burner for now. so far wala pa namang problema.before im using a TDK cd burner. im amaze sa quality ng burn niya. dough i havent try thier new dvd burner, i think ok siya. TDK DVD burner is my first choice, but mahirap kumuha dito sa pinas ng stock kaya i ended up liteon. just me. ;)

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006 at 05:06 AM »
i think either way you go... you won't be dissatisfied.

lite on is good because it is so inexpensive compared to other brands. the quality is at par with other burners of it's class, in my opinion.

benq is also a wise choice because of the "adaptive technology" it uses in burning in different brands of media. they are also relatively inexpensive.

sony is good as well, but they are just "rebadged" liteons and benqs (depending on the model). they do however present a complete package in terms of software and are... well, just so darn "pretty". LOL.

the LG writers are the way to go if writing to DVD-RAM is important to you. for about the same price (if not cheaper than most), you can get a super-multidrive that burns on practically all kinds of media out there. (including dvd-ram)

TDK, NEC, Pioneer, etc. etc. are also established brands... tho not as readily available for purchase in regular stores. you can however buy them from direct importers but the warranty is limited (about 3 months usually).

my only tip is ... if you want to make your burner last, don't use cheap or unreliable media. we have an excellent thread here that talks about that. also, be mindful not to "overuse" your burner. burning stuff 48hours straight is not healthy for your drive. and regularly check the manufacturer's website for updates and bios upgrades.

just make sure you get a drive that burns on at least 4 of the popular media out there: DVD-R. DVD+R, DVD-R Dual Layer and DVD+R Dual layer. older models might be cheaper but only burns to 3 of the four mentioned. good luck.  ;D

i use a lite-on BTW.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006 at 12:07 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline YrNeH

• DVD Addict
  • Shalom! maging payapa...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006 at 06:21 AM »
pioneer.  it's what i use and install on every system i make for my friends et al.  ...never failed me.

shalom :)

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006 at 08:46 AM »
tnx mga sir! as of now my choice is the BenQ DW1640..pero medyo nalilito pa rin..suggestions and comments are still welcome! tnx!
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006 at 12:09 PM »
tnx mga sir! as of now my choice is the BenQ DW1640..pero medyo nalilito pa rin..suggestions and comments are still welcome! tnx!

why not list the features you want or can't live without? ... that's usually a good starting point.  ;)

Offline audibleillusions

• Collector
  • Hi-fi, HT,Professional Audio and Video Store
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006 at 02:34 PM »
i think you should check for the lite-on
better reviews
they ask what is better blank to be used.

i used lite-on too

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006 at 06:02 PM »
mga sir do u hav any specific model and reviews for the lite on? i checked the market and halos same lang ang benq and lite on ng presyo eh..upon reading the reviews of the benq dw1640 parang ok kasi yung feature nya na ichecheked nung burner ang media mo den automatic na syang mag aadjust ng burning speed depending on the reliability and capability of the media used...pwede rin kaya tung feature na to sa lite on? tnx!
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006 at 08:48 PM »
mga sir do u hav any specific model and reviews for the lite on? i checked the market and halos same lang ang benq and lite on ng presyo eh..upon reading the reviews of the benq dw1640 parang ok kasi yung feature nya na ichecheked nung burner ang media mo den automatic na syang mag aadjust ng burning speed depending on the reliability and capability of the media used...pwede rin kaya tung feature na to sa lite on? tnx!

i think lite-on has a similar feature called SMART-BURN.

ultimately... it comes down to what brand you trust. i swear by lite-on's reliability because i have used their dvd-rom and cd-rw drives for years.

i do, however, have to say that i was impressed with the innovations that benq introduced especialy with it's "spindle" which basically ensures that it burns at 90degrees everytime.

but i was looking for s "lightscribe enabled" drive... a feature not many are looking for. the local benq distributors were not keen in bringing in the newer models that came with this feature, so i went with lite-on by default. no regrets tho. i love my new writer. i even upgraded it's firmware just moments ago.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006 at 08:49 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • LOUD and CLEAR! Mabuhay ang mga PCCian na bagets!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006 at 09:41 PM »
LITE-ON the best of the best...
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Pipho (pinoy photography) member

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006 at 09:52 PM »
naghahanap rin ako nung merong light scribe kaya lang wala ka kasi msyadong makita dito eh..how do u upgrade the firmware?
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006 at 10:05 PM »
mga sir eto pala yung feature nung benq.. "SOLID BURN"

qoute from benq website
Basically it all sums together: If SolidBurn is enabled it will write a small area in the Power Calibration area at maximum speed, then measure the error level, if the error level is ok it will start writing the disc, if not it will write a new area at lower speed, measure the error level, and start to write if the error level is ok, if not it will continue to repeat this process until the measured error level is ok or that the lowest speed (2x/2.4x) is reached and write the disc at that speed.
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006 at 10:08 PM »
what do u think is the difference between lite on's SMART BURN and benq's SOLID BURN?
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006 at 02:06 AM »
what do u think is the difference between lite on's SMART BURN and benq's SOLID BURN?

lite-on's definition of smart-burn:
"Innovated SMART-BURN technology to automatically check media quality and set limit to burning speed to ensure successful writing sessions & data retainability"

they are really not the same... albeit similar, they supposedly have different algorhithms. in a nutshell, smart-burn just detects which are the optimal speeds you can burn of a prticular media. also, smart-burn has 2 other components: hypertuning (which is the real counterpart of solidburn) and overburning (which allows you to burn at a higher than rated write speed... ).

naghahanap rin ako nung merong light scribe kaya lang wala ka kasi msyadong makita dito eh..how do u upgrade the firmware?

not sure about benq. but every model in the lite-on website has a download section where you can download a runnable *.exe file that will upgrade your drive's firmware. every upgrade requires a reset of the PC tho.

lightscribe can be found but you might have to order it special from your suki pc store. expect to pay at least a thousand bucks more for that feature. problem is... the media to make lightscribe discs is very rare right now. and if you find them... very expensive. about 60-80pesos per disc.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006 at 05:21 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline aRujoN

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 203
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006 at 04:54 AM »
lite-on's definition of smart-burn:
"Innovated SMART-BURN technology to automatically check media quality and set limit to burning speed to ensure successful writing sessions & data retainability"

they are really not the same... albeit similar, they supposedly have different algorhythms. in a nutshell, smart-burn just detects which are the optimal speeds you can burn of a prticular media. also, smart-burn has 2 other components: hypertuning (which is the real counterpart of solidburn) and overburning (which allows you to burn at a higher than rated write speed... ).

not sure about benq. but every model in the lite-on website has a download section where you can download a runnable *.exe file that will upgrade your drive's firmware. every upgrade requires a reset of the PC tho.

lightscribe can be found but you might have to order it special from your suki pc store. expect to pay at least a thousand bucks more for that feature. problem is... the media to make lightscribe discs is very rare right now. and if you find them... very expensive. about 60-80pesos per disc.

So with this being said, which of the two brands has the better dvd burner?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006 at 05:19 AM »

better in what way? this is all really relative. the innovations benq is introducting like the improved disc spindle and solid burn are all really quite impressive. but being so new, do these new changes affect the recorder in some way, will it lengthen or maybe even, shorten, the recorder's life? we really don't know the answer to that yet.

performance wise... i've seen the benq 1640 give better numbers in dvd burning: faster burn times (but only in the seconds.), less errors, etc. etc. but in my opinion, the differences are so small they are negligible for a home user.

on the other hand, the lite-on has a reputation for having an RPC2 code that's easy to crack (kprobe is all you need to free it) ... plus most of its models outperform the 1640 when it comes to burning on regular CDs. again, the difference is so minute. it's negligible. (quick note: while all lite-ons have smartburn... not all of them have hypertuning or overburning. so check before you decide.)

i will however caution you against getting newer models (beyond 1640) from benq. i have read in some forums that they have switched to panasonic chips. (i heard that's why the 1655 is not turning up quite as impressive results as it's older 1640 cousin) while lite-ons continue to use the "old-reliable" mediatek.

you will never find an ALL-IN-ONE dvd recorder. (at least not yet) there will always be one thing in which another drive is better at.

so in truth, its an even playing field out there (provided you are not looking into getting cheap generic ones). like i already said in earlier post... assess your need and list the features you want. after which, you should check which drives are available for you and fit your budget then make a decision you are comfortable with.  ;D

while i am lite-on user, i cannot properly reply to the allegations of "mapili siya sa media"... that's because, for the sake of compatibility and less coasters, i NEVER buy recordable dvds priced less than 10-15 pesos. i have coasters, i'll admit, but it is more because i had some "software" problem (incompatible IDE drivers with nero, power outage, etc, etc) and not because of the drive per se.

just a thought... exactly what lite-on model are you considering? maybe if we knew, we can better assess your dilemma.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006 at 05:39 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006 at 06:22 AM »
I Have a NEC and I'm really satisfied with its performance.

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006 at 09:34 AM »

My advise is to get Both Liteon and BenQ  for the simple reason, that most of my friends here and at the other site who are "heavy users" have both brands, hence, have the best of both........ :-*.......besides....it's a lot cheaper than getting a sony or NEC;  BenQ 1640 goes for 2,889.00 and at Villman at that  ;D (cheaper in others...check out the post of Battousai)  whereas the Liteon goes for only 3.5K max...do the math...it's will come off cheaper than having the NEC or the mid priced Sony.  ;)

Offline hattori_hanzo

• DVD Guru
  • LOUD and CLEAR! Mabuhay ang mga PCCian na bagets!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006 at 01:59 PM »
bro mas mura sa PC Corner sa Mega mall ang Lite-on DVD burner nila dun nasa 2,8k lang...
PCCian... kumbento boys!

Pipho (pinoy photography) member

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006 at 02:26 PM »
My advise is to get Both Liteon and BenQ  for the simple reason, that most of my friends here and at the other site who are "heavy users" have both brands, hence, have the best of both........ :-*.......besides....it's a lot cheaper than getting a sony or NEC;  BenQ 1640 goes for 2,889.00 and at Villman at that  ;D (cheaper in others...check out the post of Battousai)  whereas the Liteon goes for only 3.5K max...do the math...it's will come off cheaper than having the NEC or the mid priced Sony.  ;)

actually, competitively priced na rin ang sony. i think nasa sub 3k na rin ang price niya for the boxed DRU-820a (2.8k) ... which is basically a rebadged benq 1670.  :P

maganda lang sa sony is the bundled software and the "funky white faceplate"... sobrang drab yung black. LOL.

while you can get the lite-on sohw-1693s for 2.2k and the sohw-160p6 for 2.55k. (i think the only difference is the 160p6 can burn on DVD+R DL at 8x)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006 at 02:34 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Alfie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006 at 04:10 PM »
Opps...sobraa na palang mur ang mga presyo ngayon... :P...mapamahal pala ako, eh' 6 months ago ko lang binili iyun' BenQ ko...iyun naman Liteon ko....18 months ago...alive and kicking pa rin naman. ;D

Mabuti naman talaga na dalawa ang burner mo eh...kasi...pag di' binasa nang isa....nababasa noun isa...iyun' isang kilala ko, kahit may redundant cycles, na de-decrypt parin niya, dahil lang sa dalawa na ang burner niya...may DVD-ROM pa siya. ;D

Iyun' ang astig. ;D :o

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006 at 04:31 PM »
Opps...sobraa na palang mur ang mga presyo ngayon... :P...mapamahal pala ako, eh' 6 months ago ko lang binili iyun' BenQ ko...iyun naman Liteon ko....18 months ago...alive and kicking pa rin naman. ;D

Mabuti naman talaga na dalawa ang burner mo eh...kasi...pag di' binasa nang isa....nababasa noun isa...iyun' isang kilala ko, kahit may redundant cycles, na de-decrypt parin niya, dahil lang sa dalawa na ang burner niya...may DVD-ROM pa siya. ;D

Iyun' ang astig. ;D :o

don't worry. ako rin. i bought mine only 2 months ago and the price has already dropped by at least one hundred pesos. LOL.

"asteeeeeg" naman nung kilala mo. (kilala ko rin ba yun? lol.)  i don't have two burners tho. just an old dvd-rom and one lite-on burner.  :-\ oh well, still happy pa rin naman.  ;D

my experience is that dedicated "readers" like a dvd-rom and cd-rom are faster rippers. the norm is mabagal mag-rip ang mga burners.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006 at 04:35 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006 at 05:11 PM »
i have a lite on combo drive..and mga 3 yrs old na ata and ok pa rin ang takbo..hehe

so guys if i am going to choose a lite on dvd burner, what model ba ang astig? tnx!
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006 at 10:45 AM »
Im using this LG GSA-4166B. It was great esp the lightscribe capability. 

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/262/1

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006 at 03:02 PM »
mine is a little older... but i just bought a little over a 2 months ago. lite-on SHW-16H5S. (no DVD-RAM burning capability):

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/245/1

and yes, i like the lightscribe feature as well... just wish i could find more media tho.  :-[

brings in slightly lower numbers than most new drives but great for doing "scans", which some new drives don't do well.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006 at 03:10 PM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006 at 06:23 PM »
sir spaceman spiff,

how much bili nyo sa Lite-On SHW-16H5S? may ma irecomend ba kayo na model na with the complete feature of Lite-On SHW-16H5S with dvd-ram burning capability? tnx!
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006 at 08:59 PM »
sir spaceman spiff,

how much bili nyo sa Lite-On SHW-16H5S? may ma irecomend ba kayo na model na with the complete feature of Lite-On SHW-16H5S with dvd-ram burning capability? tnx!

there is... it should be available by now. it is the 165H6S  (i was going to wait for this but i decided to forgo when i learned i would probably NEVER use this feature because the media is barely available here and VERY expensive) ... if you can live without the lightscribe but not the DVD-RAM compatibility, check out the SHM-16P6S. (this is the model with 3 faceplates and goes for 3,450pesos)

i saw the 16H5S in PC Buyer's Guide going for 3,950pesos (dealer price ata.) just last night. i bought it for a little over 4k, 2 months ago. not sure about the price for the newer model that can burn on DVD-RAM. you can check out the other half-height lite-on models here: http://www.liteonit.com/global/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=26&Itemid=67

once you find the model you like, you can call their distributor or check their website for availability and the location of the nearest retailer in your area:

NETWORK ESSENTIALS. CORP.
173 CSP Building.
EDSA Ave. Mandaluyong City
http://www.netessentials.ph/
[email protected]
721-1981 to 83, 727-9649, 721-2202

good luck!  ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006 at 05:55 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline [dcw]aaron

• DVD Addict
  • rock on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006 at 11:00 AM »
ok..tnx sir..my choice as of now is the lite on shm-165h6s..magkano na kaya ito ngayon? i've checked the site yung netessentials pero wala dun yun model na hinahanap ko eh!

here's the review:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/274
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB
Samsung BD-D5100
Sony HTIB 5.1
Kaiboer H1055

Offline sayad5

• Collector
  • sweet!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006 at 11:30 AM »
there is... it should be available by now. it is the 165H6S  (i was going to wait for this but i decided to forgo when i learned i would probably NEVER use this feature because the media is barely available here and VERY expensive) ... if you can live without the lightscribe but not the DVD-RAM compatibility, check out the SHM-16P6S. (this is the model with 3 faceplates and goes for 3,450pesos)

i saw the 16H5S in PC Buyer's Guide going for 3,950pesos (dealer price ata.) just last night. i bought it for a little over 4k, 2 months ago. not sure about the price for the newer model that can burn on DVD-RAM. you can check out the other half-height lite-on models here: http://www.liteonit.com/global/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=26&Itemid=67

once you find the model you like, you can call their distributor or check their website for availability and the location of the nearest retailer in your area:

NETWORK ESSENTIALS. CORP.
173 CSP Building.
EDSA Ave. Mandaluyong City
http://www.netessentials.ph/
[email protected]
721-1981 to 83, 727-9649, 721-2202

good luck!  ;D

sa acenet sa shoppesville plus greenhills meron ganyang lite-on na model at meron din silang lightscribe media