Author Topic: Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers  (Read 190239 times)

Offline saito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • white dove fly with the wind..take our hopes....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
yamaha rxv-890 and cerwin vega dx-9..
« Reply #150 on: Oct 29, 2002 at 09:01 AM »
a good pair?...any one knows the items i've mentioned?...im planning to buy these items coz they're on sale...thnx

Offline Soultrey

• Apprentice
  • Simple guy
  • Liked:
Re:Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers
« Reply #151 on: Dec 04, 2002 at 02:00 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm just new here and plan to buy a new DVD player as a gift for my mom.  After reading some of the threads, I am convinced to buy a Nextbase DVD player.

Since it has no built in DTS encoder, could you guys suggest a good receiver (iyung mura lang po, around 3 to 5 thou) which I could attach to it?  

Also where can I buy it?  Thanks.  :)  

Offline Kings

• DVD Guru
  • ???
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: Dec 04, 2002 at 09:26 AM »
Hi soultrey,

just a note : if your source has no dts decoding facility, you'll never be able to get dts sound, no matter what receiver you get.

both the source (dvd player) and the receiver should be capable of decoding dts signals.
 :)

Offline jazzyjayt

• Apprentice
  • There is always a better way.
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 12:48 AM »
hi KINGS, im also new to this board.  i was surprised by your statement that both receiver and dvd player must have dts decoder in order to produce dts sound.

diba if the dvd player has dts output, it has the potential to produce sound, which would be realized if it were plugged into a receiver with dts decoding capability?  (and of course, connected to 5.1 speakers.)

and diba if the dvd player has a built-in dts decoder, any receiver connected to 5.1 speakers would be just as capable of producing dts sound?

pls clarify.  am also confirming if what i learned from this board so far is correct.  thanks.   :)

Offline Junski

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 10:31 AM »
Hi,

Offline Junski

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 10:36 AM »
hi,

I have the same predicament like Soultrey. NEXTBASE din ung player ko and i'm looking for a decent AV receiver and speaker system for my setup. Around 16sq meters lang ung area for HT.

Baka meron kayong ma-suggest or even a second hand but well maintained na AV and speakers. Basta can process the DTS ready ng NEXTBASE.

Offline lmerb

• Collector
  • Wazzup!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 01:29 PM »
Hey mga repapips any idea kung magkano yung Bookshelf ng Paradigm Performace Series o kaya yun Energy XL???

Salamat

Offline sgc_wdi

• DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: Dec 05, 2002 at 02:07 PM »
jazzyjayt,

I'll try to answer your question. Your DVD player can either:

1. play DTS, without built in decoder
2. play DTS, with built in decoder
3. not play DTS at all

kung number 1, then you need an AV Receiver that can decode DTS, that way, you can listen to DTS mixes in your DVDs.

kung number 2, (I'm not so sure here) but I think you can connect your DVD player to your receiver (kahit wala siyang DTS capability - but has to be through the analog ins I think), then you can listen to DTS mixes in your DVDs.

kung number 3, you can't listen to DTS at all, but in most cases, may Dolby Digital 5.1 ang mga DVD players, so you can still experience 5.1 sound :)

Offline sillyputty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 05:21 AM »
question lang po.. what would you rather have...

a mid-level speaker set combined to an entry level receiver
or
an entry level speaker set combined to a midlevel receiver?

Concrete examples:
Missioon M70/M73/M7C1 and a 5.1 receiver(Yam 430,onkyo sr500)

or

wharfedale diamond 8.4/8.1/center and a 6.1 receiver(onkyo sr600/denon 1803)

Note that total costs are roughly the same for both setups. And di na pwedeng mag-over sa budget(~40k)! :-\
And di na magkakaroon ng pera for future upgrades.
Any comments on those setups would also be appreciated.

Offline tuff_u_gong

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • emancipate yourselves from mental slavery!
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 06:19 AM »

or

Concrete examples:

or

Note that total costs are roughly the same for both setups. And di na pwedeng mag-over sa budget(~40k)! :-\

personally, i'll go for the second combo (onkyo/denon and diamond 8s). i find the first (yamaha-mission) setup too sharp for the ears. i guess its also a matter of taste.

Offline bongerds

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • audio enthusiast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #160 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 06:22 AM »

or

Concrete examples:

or

Sillyputty,

IMO, since you're not planning to upgrade my advice is to go for the right match kasi may speaker that sounds better if match with the right amp and vice versa.  But I will always go for better sounding speakers whether starting or upgrading your system.  There is significant improvement when you have a better speaker.  

Try auditioning various amplifiers with the same speakers you may or may not notice much change (of course within the same power output and same SPL level) and try changing speakers with different amplifiers naman and you'll hear the difference.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 09:44 AM »

or

Concrete examples:

or

of the two examples - i would go for the first. actually its similar to my set up.

why? sound comes from the speakers - therefore if you have better speakers you get better sound ;D

i used to have 8.1's and i sold them to get a matching pair of missions after receiving m71's as a gift.

the only advantage of a 6.1 is the 6th center channel - but you can read anywhere that there are only a limited number of titles with "discrete" 6.1 recordings
money is best spent

Offline sillyputty

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 12:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies. So the real issue will be speaker matching. What goes well with what and where can I audition them?
Speakers that match onkyo,denon,yam?
Receivers that match mission,wharfs?

???

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 03:21 PM »
also take note of which sound you like better, i mean if you like the sound of wharfedale's over the missions with the receiver that you like then go ahead. But if you plan to get just an entry level receiver, your speakers should not have low sensitivity as the amps for entry level amps are not that powerful.

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 04:34 PM »
Thanks for the replies. So the real issue will be speaker matching. What goes well with what and where can I audition them?

???

yes, matching is critical too but personally, i'll go for the diamond 8s over the m70 series any day.

don't get me wrong, i like the sound of Mission. in fact, i've demoed a pair of mid-level (forgot the model, but they cost about P40K/pair) Mission at Melvyn Chua's place in Cubao (DCM - mission's distributor) and i found them to be at par with more expensive mid-level b&ws (e.g. CDM series).

if you like a bright-sounding HT setup, then go for the m70s. if you like a warmer (but a bit more sluggish) sounding setup and save a bit of cash, go for the Diamond 8s.

of course, this is just my opinion. the best thing to do is still to audition and choose.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: Dec 06, 2002 at 10:35 PM »
yes, matching is critical too but personally, i'll go for the diamond 8s over the m70 series any day.

don't get me wrong, i like the sound of Mission. in fact, i've demoed a pair of mid-level (forgot the model, but they cost about P40K/pair) Mission at Melvyn Chua's place in Cubao (DCM - mission's distributor) and i found them to be at par with more expensive mid-level b&ws (e.g. CDM series).

if you like a bright-sounding HT setup, then go for the m70s. if you like a warmer (but a bit more sluggish) sounding setup and save a bit of cash, go for the Diamond 8s.

of course, this is just my opinion. the best thing to do is still to audition and choose.

hehehe i think we're giving sillyputty a harder time to decide by presenting different opinions - i guess that just shows that it's really subjective ;D
money is best spent

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #166 on: Dec 07, 2002 at 12:34 AM »
exactly, what you need to consider here is matching of equipment and preferred sound, not really on what brand it is, you need to get the best bang for your buck.

For wharfedales: try the marantz sr4200 or Onkyo
Mission: Denon and yammies.

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #167 on: Dec 07, 2002 at 07:33 AM »

...i guess that just shows that it's really subjective ;D

i totally agree iceman90a!

sorry sillyputty, i guess all this points to the importance of auditioning. don't worry...auditioning is fun!...though some dealers can make it a challenging task at times.

Offline sillyputty

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: Dec 07, 2002 at 09:58 AM »
hehehehe thanks everyone for the advice.
auditioning talaga problem ko. di ko alam kung saan ko ia-audition yung mga gamit!

Additional questions po.
Wouldn't yammies sound good with the wharfs? bright receiver with a warm speaker(silk tweeter)?
Can onkyo power the wharfs? I've heard reviews that onkyos were underpowered/clips? Is this true?

How about HK? what would go well with it?
Where can I audition the marantz? price range?
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2002 at 10:32 AM by sillyputty »

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #169 on: Dec 07, 2002 at 11:12 AM »
hehehehe thanks everyone for the advice.
auditioning talaga problem ko. di ko alam kung saan ko ia-audition yung mga gamit!

Additional questions po.
Wouldn't yammies sound good with the wharfs? bright receiver with a warm speaker(silk tweeter)?
Can onkyo power the wharfs? I've heard reviews that onkyos were underpowered/clips? Is this true?

How about HK? what would go well with it?
Where can I audition the marantz? price range?

try sights & sounds at edsa shangrila mall. i was able to do a side by side comparison of whrfedales and mission speakers there. they were using a yamaha 630. i think they also have a marantz there or in listening in style - same mall..

onkyo & mission try hyperaudio or mr tuason's place
money is best spent

Offline jojitb

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: Dec 07, 2002 at 12:16 PM »

???

this may be a little off-topic but may I ask what receiver you used to test the Missions?  I would guess it is a Yamaha?  Yamahas usually sound  bright  and if you pair that with sensitive and bight-sounding speakers (mission m70's) it would certaily not be pleasing to your ears.

Also, I do not know if you have heard all the other Wharfedale 8 series but from my auditions, only 8.1s sound good, 8.3 and 8.4 are not up to par with the missions..  However, this is just my opinion.

If you stick with 8.1, you can' t go wrong. Just pair it with a nice active subwoofer and you should be good to go.. :)

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: Dec 09, 2002 at 03:49 PM »

Also, I do not know if you have heard all the other Wharfedale 8 series but from my auditions, only 8.1s sound good, 8.3 and 8.4 are not up to par with the missions..  However, this is just my opinion.

If you stick with 8.1, you can' t go wrong. Just pair it with a nice active subwoofer and you should be good to go.. :)

How about 8.2? What can you say about 8.2? Thanks.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: Dec 09, 2002 at 06:01 PM »

How about 8.2? What can you say about 8.2? Thanks.
hi, check out this thread on wharfedale diamonds. it's got mixed reviews - honestly i was only able to compare the 8.1 vs the 8.3 & 8.4

http://www.pinoydvd.com/yabbse/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1662
money is best spent

Offline tuff_u_gong

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: Dec 10, 2002 at 06:37 PM »

this may be a little off-topic but may I ask what receiver you used to test the Missions?  I would guess it is a Yamaha?  Yamahas usually sound  bright  and if you pair that with sensitive and bight-sounding speakers (mission m70's) it would certaily not be pleasing to your ears.

i've auditioned the M70 series at Image, Harrison Plaza using both a musical fidelity integrated amp (forgot the model but its rated 75 wpc) and a denon receiver (2800 series, i think) and i found it too bright for my taste. in fact, i've paired b&ws with Yamaha's before (which is a bright combo) but i never got the type of sharpness from the entry level missions at all.

as for the diamond 8.0s. i never got to try the 8.4s but i've always found the 8.3s better (not necessarily louder) than the m70s. you even spare some more cash from not having to buy stands anymore.

but of course, that's just me and my preferences.

thanks for asking!

Offline redkoji

• DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: Dec 11, 2002 at 04:17 PM »
Hey guys,

We have Sherwood receivers which ranges from P14.5K to P45K. Its DTS and Pro-logic II already.

We have also some stock of NAD up for grabs...so call us at 5225698.

Demo units of Definitive and Klipsch "Reference series" will be also sold.

Offline MJ-JM

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #175 on: Dec 17, 2002 at 05:16 PM »
Sir/Maam,

Any thoughts on what speakers will match my Pioneer VSX D511?

Thanks.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #176 on: Dec 20, 2002 at 11:40 AM »
Mga Tols!

m using the pioneer vsxd 811s-s, 120 w x 6 and with my local 200 w front speakers plus 4 100 w sorround speakers (also locally made), wala ka nang hahanapin pa....

actually correct positioning lang ng speakers at dapat same type, and timbre lahat, you can get the best sound from your receiver.

tol so far,,,the best sa tingin ko ung pioneer vsxd 811s-s. DD-ex and DTS-es; 7.1 sha. if you dont have sorround back speakers, hook a passive subwoofer and you got additional bass. programmable sha.
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline john5479

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: Dec 20, 2002 at 07:26 PM »
jerix: what local speaker did you buy by the way ? the lexus? crown or dai-1chi? (halatang pumupunta rin ng raon hehehe ;D)

Offline abj104

• Collector
  • "let's jam !
  • Liked:
« Reply #178 on: Dec 22, 2002 at 01:19 AM »
hello mga kuya,

i have an rxv 800 ; dvd 533k pioneer ;lyamaha cdx-620
pioneer ld1080 ; dynaquest 120 ; wharfedale diamond series .

i would like to change my speaker cause i found out na medyo mahina ang highs ng wharfedale nung una gusto ko ito pero sa ibang music cd wala na kong magawang adjustment sa highs , can somebody give his opinion on /about the best speaker match for my rxv 800?
thanks!@

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #179 on: Dec 22, 2002 at 01:40 AM »
abj104,

Dont change your speaker yet, why don't you try to tweak the crossover first, you may ask a forumer named nirvblakr for the tweak. A lot of testimonials from the user that after tweaking the crossover, it's sound a lot better.

Just my cent.