Author Topic: Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers  (Read 189105 times)

Offline urodoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Need your Advise/Help re: HT set-up
« Reply #1410 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 10:44 AM »
thanks bro for the inputs and advise. I'll try to inquire about the Diamond series also.

w/ regards to the motorized screen, they said that in due time, the screen tends to have waves? is that true? Whats a good brand of motorized screen?

BTW, if you were to choose, what AVR and speaker systems would you buy given a budget of 150k (the same room size 3x5 sq.m )?  :D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #1411 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 10:53 AM »
thanks bro for the inputs and advise. I'll try to inquire about the Diamond series also.

w/ regards to the motorized screen, they said that in due time, the screen tends to have waves? is that true? Whats a good brand of motorized screen?

BTW, if you were to choose, what AVR and speaker systems would you buy given a budget of 150k (the same room size 3x5 sq.m )?  :D

Da-lite brand screens comes originally with waves ( creases) :P

And if i may comment, your room size of 3x5sqm shouldnt be too hard to fill with sound ;) so your budget of 150t for avr-speaker set-up is a good start. ;D

Offline urodoc

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1412 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 11:23 AM »
@ ricky , same question, if you were to choose, what AVR and speaker systems would you buy given a budget of 150k (the same room size 3x5 sq.m )?   ;D  ???
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2006 at 01:22 PM by urodoc »

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1413 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 12:15 PM »

Personally, as I am more into music than HT, I wouldn't spend so much for an AVR for HT.  Unless you have high definition LCDs/PJs with high definition players outputing glorious 1080i at least and  uncompressed LPCM in 5.1 or lossless DolbyTrueHD or DTS-HD or Master Audio via HDMI, I wouldn't spend so much.  For plain upscaled DVDs, not worth it IMO.

But it's you money, so I'd recommend next-to or close-to- flagship receivers from Pioneer, Rotel, NAD, Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha. (not necessarily in the order of preference.  ;D)   If not mistaken, your budget of 150T can already buy a Rotel RSX-1056 or a Denon 4306 receiver.  I don't know if the fabled Yamaha "mother of all receivers" RX-Z9 is already discounted to be within that range, it was priced in excess of 250T when it first came out. 

For speakers, I suggest you do a lot more research. Don't be misled with costly price tags.  Many costly speakers sold locally are overpriced.  Once you check the net, you'd be surprised many are in the same price range as the lowly Wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers.

For 150T, I'd get a REL true sub-bass R205 ($1,200), a set of Diamond 9.5 ($800) and any of its center and surround speakers and a Denon 3806 AVR ($1,100).  Local prices are misleading.  But the wharfedale 9.5 local pricing at only 12.5T leaves so much more room for your budget to get the rest.  ;D  Having said that, don't forget to audition first.  But that's just me.

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2006 at 12:20 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline urodoc

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1414 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 01:32 PM »
 For speakers, I suggest you do a lot more research. Don't be misled with costly price tags.  Many costly speakers sold locally are overpriced.  Once you check the net, you'd be surprised many are in the same price range as the lowly Wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers.

For 150T, I'd get a REL true sub-bass R205 ($1,200), a set of Diamond 9.5 ($800) and any of its center and surround speakers and a Denon 3806 AVR ($1,100).  Local prices are misleading.  But the wharfedale 9.5 local pricing at only 12.5T leaves so much more room for your budget to get the rest.  ;D  Having said that, don't forget to audition first.  But that's just me.

did i get you right, you'd prefer the Wharfedale diamond 9.5 speakers over the B&W 600s3? Any idea as to their respective costs?

BTW, would there be a significant difference between floorstanding speakers vs. bookshelf types, considering the room dimensions i gave?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1415 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 01:49 PM »

did i get you right, you'd prefer the Wharfedale diamond 9.5 speakers over the B&W 600s3? Any idea as to their respective costs?

I don't recall refering to B&W 603s in that post.  But I would prefer the diamond 9 to the B&W 300 series in terms of value.  All my preference to the Diamond just points to a better deal or price performance value.  Whether they suit your aural taste or not, I  leave that to you.

BTW, would there be a significant difference between floorstanding speakers vs. bookshelf types, considering the room dimensions i gave?

Floorstanders generally have deeper bass and higher power handling in the same model series.  But across brands, it's not entirely uncommon to see bookshelf speakers outperforming a floorstander in terms of bass, power handling and detailing.  Most studio monitors are bookshelf types.  There are bookshelfs that sound just are gorgeous as floorstanders of another brand, or even better.  Since a subwoofer is almost always a must have in HT, a stand-mounted bookshelf of good perfrmance and power handling will do.  And in many cases, might even give better value.   Hence, a bookshelh in the diamond series can be just as good for HT, at a lower cost.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2006 at 02:07 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline urodoc

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1416 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 02:10 PM »
thanks AV... i'm really learning a lot from you. Would it be correct to assume that the  B&W 600 would sound better than the Wharfedale 9?  ???

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1417 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 02:27 PM »
They both use kevlar woven speakers.  The higher models on the 600 line use aluminum bass drivers knwn for their accuracy and true pistonic behaviour.  But some pundits consider them boomy, especially the 604 with dual bass drivers plus a port.  The tweets are another.  B&W 600 uses a more detailed horn-loaded aluminum tweeter made famous in their nautilus and 800 line compared with the Diamond's fabric tweeters. That is why some people find the 600 brighter (though that would be a plus for people above 35  ;D)   B&W 600 uses uneven rubber-like mats on their fronts to minimize diffraction effects for a more accurate sound propagation.  In terms of brand recognition, B&W is more upscale than Wharfedale back in Engalnd.  I'd prefer the B&W 600 series in terms of performance.  Their customer after sales service is also legendary.  But it all depends on you if the price gap between the two justifies the difference in sonic quality and after sales. 
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2006 at 02:37 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline urodoc

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1418 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 03:24 PM »
if in case i would go for the 600 series, in your opinion which among the models in that series would be appropriate for the room 3 x 5 sq.m?

Offline Reymer

• Trade Count: (+144)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1419 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 04:23 PM »
Hi, my HT room is almost the same size as yours. Im using B&W 603s2 mated with Yamaha RXV800. I think you can use the 602s3 with a decent subwoofer.  :)

Offline 5Speed

• Collector
  • It's me..
  • Liked:
« Reply #1420 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 05:40 PM »
if in case i would go for the 600 series, in your opinion which among the models in that series would be appropriate for the room 3 x 5 sq.m?

For that room size, you can start with B&W602s3 for fronts, LCR 60 for center and back surrounds (if you are planning to use 6.1) and B&W bi-polar surround speakers (forgot the model).....

For sub, Rel is very good (a friend of mine has the Quake and it really really go low, not to loud but instead you can feel it:))...but if you want an all B&W speaker system, ASW 600 is a good starting point...it is a sealed front firing sub, if you still have the budget get the ASW 675, but IMO, i still prefer REL or Sunfire or even Velodyne....if you're in US, better get the SVS sub, that is if HT is your priority....

For AVR's... so many choices for the B&W's... Rotel will perfectly match the B&W's, so as Denon 3806 and Marantz 7500 and up....Harman Kardon 340 or 640 and Nad 763 or 773 is also very good , and these AVR's are quite good for both HT and Music listening... For pure HT application, Yamaha 2600 is tops.....

now for DVD player, you can get anything that you want....hehehehe I've noticed that almost every 4-6 months, there is a new model.....

Offline urodoc

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1421 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 10:03 PM »
 @ Reymer and 5Speed thanks guyz for your inputs and suggestions  ;D would take that into consideration 

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #1422 on: Nov 01, 2006 at 10:55 PM »
@ ricky , same question, if you were to choose, what AVR and speaker systems would you buy given a budget of 150k (the same room size 3x5 sq.m )?   ;D  ???

If I have 150t to spend on a decent HT set-up that will be good for both audio-video usage on a 3x5sq.m room, Ill probably consider the ff:

AVR
Harman avr640/645
harman avr340/345

SUBWOOFER
M&K 12"
VELODYNE 12"
REL 12"

SPEAKERS
fronts
JBL studio L L820/L830
WHARFE 9.2
B&W 602s3

center
JBL LC1/LC2
WHARFE 9cs?
B&W LCR60/600

rears
JBL L810/L820
WHARFE 9dfs/9.1
B&W 600s3/601s3/ds6s3

I come to realize that for HT you dont need to have a floorstander esp on a limited space. Bec unless you FS(floorstander) has a woofer bigger than 8" it will still be regarded as small speaker by your AVR :( and all LFEs will be directed to your sub.(which makes sense). With BS(bookshelf) dont worry that it will not be sufficient when it comes to audio,as most BS and FS sounds the same except for the low frequency WHICH a decent SUB(fast and tight) can take care of ;)Hope I was able to help you rather than confused you ;D

Offline levi

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Sevilla and Sons Sausages
  • Liked:
« Reply #1423 on: Nov 02, 2006 at 09:12 AM »
For HT setup I will choose set speakers from same brand and series if possible. With your budget you can get a set of B&W600 series, Dali Concept or Ikon, etc. For subwoofer I suggest velodyne or MK while for AVR you can start with HK340. Where are you from?

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
Re: Suggestion for AV Receiver and Speakers
« Reply #1424 on: Nov 02, 2006 at 11:16 AM »
 I have a similar sized room (3 x 4.2m) & I would not recommend that you get those 2 woofer floorstanders for a room of this size. They can get boomy at times specially if your room is not treated acoustically.

150k would get you a decent mid level HT (5 speakers, sub & good AVR). I would suggest that since you have the budget, go straight for the mid level gears and skip the entry levels.

I could modestly refer you to my setup in the HT gallery, w/ Mission M5's, HK 630 & Velo sub will cost you around that figure. The Missions are excellent in both HT & audio, great highs and clear mids that really suit my listening & aesthetic taste.  I am very happy with them & modesty aside, me & a fellow pdvd member w/ M5's have on more than 1 occassion, w :o wed friends owning more expensive speakers (2x up) with these wonderful value for money speakers. In fact, when I was auditioning them, a customer beside me who was about to buy another brand, changed his mind to the M5's after hearing them.  :D

I thought they were out of stock but I just learned that there are still a few left, you just have to look for them. Give them a listen.

You could also try Monitor Audio RS series, B&W 600 series. Also try the Mid level Wharfe Evolution series, they are pretty impressive and also have the same low  price locally for a mid end model.

For Subs try M&K's as well.

Audition them all, we all have different tastes so what is good for one might not be the case for another.  :)

2 cents  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006 at 03:33 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline urodoc

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1425 on: Nov 02, 2006 at 08:10 PM »
For HT setup I will choose set speakers from same brand and series if possible. With your budget you can get a set of B&W600 series, Dali Concept or Ikon, etc. For subwoofer I suggest velodyne or MK while for AVR you can start with HK340. Where are you from?

thanks Levi. BTW, i'm from Cebu... medyo limited kasi ang choices dito  ???

I have a similar sized room (3 x 4.2m) & I would not recommend that you get those 2 woofer floorstanders for a room of this size. They can get boomy at times specially if your room is not treated acoustically.

150k would get you a decent mid level HT (5 speakers, sub & good AVR). I would suggest that since you have the budget, go straight for the mid level gears and skip the entry levels.

I could modestly refer you to my setup in the HT gallery, w/ Mission M5's, HK 630 & Velo sub will cost you around that figure. The Missions are excellent in both HT & audio, great highs and clear mids that really suit my listening & aesthetic taste.  I am very happy with them & modesty aside, me & a fellow pdvd member w/ M5's have on more than 1 occassion, w:owed friends owning more expensive speakers (2x up) with these wonderful value for money speakers. In fact, when I was auditioning them, a customer beside me who was about to buy another brand, changed his mind to the M5's after hearing them.  :D

I thought they were out of stock but I just learned that there are still a few left, you just have to look for them. Give them a listen.

You could also try Monitor Audio RS series, B&W 600 series. Also try the Mid level Wharfe Evolution series, they are pretty impressive and also have the same low  price locally for a mid end model.

For Subs try M&K's as well.

Audition them all, we all have different tastes so what is good for one might not be the case for another.  :)

2 cents  :)

I'll try to inquire which store carries the MOnitor Audio RS & Mission brand here (Cebu). I'll check your gallery.. Thanks a lot  ;)

Offline macmac09

• Collector
  • newbie forever
  • Liked:
« Reply #1426 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 09:27 PM »
baka pwede po makisali, newbie lang po ako. i had just completed my audio setup. gusto ko naman po sana magbuo ng hometheater ko. wat i have now is my monitor audio rs1 which i use partnered with an integrated amp. wat avr would you recommend for my speakers which would be used strickly for ht. ynx.

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1427 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 10:29 PM »
Hi, newbie here. Im planning to set-up a HT. The room is about 15-18 sq.m. The recommendations of 2 diff. shops that i approached gave me the ff proposals..

Option A: Front speakers      Paradigm Phantom series
                Center speaker      Paradigm CC170
               Rear speakers       Dali R 1000
               Subwoofer             REL R205
               Receiver              Yamaha RXV 659 7.1
               DVD player         Yamaha DVD 657

Option B: Front speakers     B&W DM 309
                Center speaker     B&W LCR-60
                Rear speakers      Wharfedale Diamond 9 DFS dipole
                Subwoofer        B&W ASW-600
                Receiver      Denon AVR-3805 7.1
                DVD player         Pioneer DV-393

Which is better,  option A or B? which among the speakers are better

am also planning to get the Panasonic AE 900 projector.. however im confused whether to get a fixed screen or motorized screen. What are the pros and cons of one over the other?

Hope you guys can help.... Thanks a lot  ;D

bai urodoc, taga cebu pud ko :D........i guess Option A was suggested by Sounds 'N Images, while Option B must have been recommended by Soundroom, hehehe ;D ;D ;D, i agree w/ the advice of sir levi quoted below that you should choose a set of speakers from the same brand & series (ex: B&W 602s3 as fronts, LCR60s3 as center & 601s3 as rears) and then build your HT around these speakers ;)......in other words, you should first buy your set of speakers & then audition all the receivers that you can possibly match w/ your chosen set of speakers, and decide what combination suits your listening taste/preference (whatever receiver you choose, make sure that at least it has PRE-OUTS for future upgrade w/ an external power amp.) :)

muy dos sentimos 8)

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2006 at 10:33 PM by classicman »

Offline urodoc

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1428 on: Nov 19, 2006 at 06:40 PM »
bai classicman, nice to know that you're also from cebu  ;D  ;D  ;D. and thanks for the 2 cents . Yyes, you got it right as to who suggested the options? By the way what's your set-up? and do you know of someone here in cebu who can help me set-up?

Offline [r]ichkri3g

• Collector
  • Blu Boy
  • Liked:
« Reply #1429 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 02:33 PM »
hi. please recommend a HT set-up (speakers/sub/receiver) with a budget of P150,000-P170,000.

room size is around 21 sqm.

thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2006 at 02:37 PM by richkrieg »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1430 on: Nov 23, 2006 at 05:11 PM »
Receiver: Yamaha 2600, Denon 380*, HK635
Sub: M&K or Velo
Speakers: B&W 603's, Mission M53's, MA RS6, JBL Studio series

Offline [r]ichkri3g

• Collector
  • Blu Boy
  • Liked:
« Reply #1431 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 01:12 AM »
sir MAtZTER thanks for the suggestions.  :)

im leaning towards this set-up

Receiver: Denon 3806
Front Speakers: B&W DM603 S3
Center Speaker: B&W LCR600 S3
Rear Speakers: B&W DM600 S3
Subwoofer: Velodyne CHT-12R

comments? suggestions?  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2006 at 01:23 AM by richkrieg »

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1432 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 01:29 AM »
good choice but imho maybe you should wait till next year to buy a receiver that expensive. receivers equiped w/ hdmi 1.3 is slated to come out early next year.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #1433 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 07:53 AM »

wow...cant go wrong with those choices...but me point si ET414.....but then again...mga unang labas ng HDMI 1.3 equipped AVRs would surely be costly....dito pa lang, lampas kana sa budget mo......kulang kulang na sa 200k to.... ;D ;D btw 3806 is hdmi equipped na..though 1.1 pa lang if im not mistaken.....nagtanong ako nito noon sa shang...twas 90k plus  :o :o
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2006 at 07:55 AM by Munskie »

Offline classicman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1434 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 08:11 AM »
bai classicman, nice to know that you're also from cebu  ;D  ;D  ;D. and thanks for the 2 cents . Yyes, you got it right as to who suggested the options? By the way what's your set-up? and do you know of someone here in cebu who can help me set-up?

bai urodoc, am so sorry for this very late reply, i just got back last night from a week long out-of-town trip :-[........you may text/call me at (0917)320-0630, i am not a pro or an expert on this but i might be of help to you one way or the other, or i could refer you to someone who might be of help to your concerns ;)........my set-up is posted at the HT Gallery, here's the link:

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=50115.0

8)

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1435 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 10:18 AM »
good choice but imho maybe you should wait till next year to buy a receiver that expensive. receivers equiped w/ hdmi 1.3 is slated to come out early next year.

True, but I am sure when they come out, it will cost more than all your arms and legs.   ;D

I hear it's the HDMI switiching circuitry that really doubles most receiver prices.  The version 1.1 most flagship receivers have is actually obsolete with the upcoming 1.3 for processing DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD/Master Audio without being decimated into LPCM.  Preamp/processors in recievers are really the first to become obsolete these days. 

But personally, I'd never consider receivers above 40T.  If i had a budget of 90T+ i'd get a pre-owned set of pre/pro and multichanel power amps.  Better sonics with more flexibility.  But that's just me.   ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1436 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 11:01 AM »

I would suggest you get a lower budget AVR and add a Rotel 1075 power amp if you plan to use the 603's. All the dealers I talked to are unanimous in agreeing that B&W sounds better with more power.

I have been experimenting lately with a  Rotel pre/pro I borrowed & my Rotel power amp. It is much more detailed indeed and a bit bright. And not lacking in power. I could say that this would suit the B&W's very well since it's brightness would bring out the details from a rather warm sounding B&W. Its the reason why I chose Missions over the B&W's. Missions were more detailed (for me) and suited my listening taste.

BUT a new rotel Pre/pro (1068) + power amp (1075) would cost you almost your entire budget  :(. Even more if you go for their class D 7x100w RMB1077 power amp. Its already P100+k, power amp pa lang.

Almost 3 inches tall only, slim and cool looking huh?  8)

Where is the drool icon?!?
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2006 at 11:13 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1437 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 11:21 AM »
If i had a budget of 90T+ i'd get a pre-owned set of pre/pro and multichanel power amps.  Better sonics with more flexibility.  But that's just me.   ;D

Agree! One thing I have learned from the borrowed Pre/pro. Indeed the Pre/pro's + amps are better sounding in both music & HT. Better than using a receiver as processor. But price wise:

it will cost more than all your arms and legs. ;D

A Primare processor (no amps) cost the same as a Primare SPA21 5x100w receiver  :D.

Pre/pro is now on my wish list.  ;D

« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2006 at 11:25 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline et414

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • its gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! ;)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1438 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 01:21 PM »
True, but I am sure when they come out, it will cost more than all your arms and legs. ;D

i agree, but for me, 90k is already too much for a receiver that is already "obsolete" now;)
i'm sure the price of the next generation receiver's won't be that much more expensive than the current line up. for example: the 3805 cost $1200 when it came out as against 3806 $1300

But personally, I'd never consider receivers above 40T. If i had a budget of 90T+ i'd get a pre-owned set of pre/pro and multichanel power amps. Better sonics with more flexibility. But that's just me. ;D

very true! i've been looking for a used prepro myself kaso ang hirap maghanap ng medyo recent  models. it's so hard to justify spending 70k on a pre/pro kasi:P

Offline [r]ichkri3g

• Collector
  • Blu Boy
  • Liked:
« Reply #1439 on: Nov 24, 2006 at 08:23 PM »
I would suggest you get a lower budget AVR and add a Rotel 1075 power amp if you plan to use the 603's. All the dealers I talked to are unanimous in agreeing that B&W sounds better with more power.

sir what if i get the Denon 3806 and add a Rotel 1075 power amp within the next few months after setting up my planned HT? btw, how much is the Rotel 1075 power amp?

regarding the HDMI 1.3 receivers, should i really wait for it? the dreaded S.A.R.S. is really bugging me. hehehe  ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2006 at 09:20 PM by richkrieg »