Author Topic: harman/kardon avr  (Read 363347 times)

Offline r_Y_@_n

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • andre marcus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: harman/kardon avr
« Reply #3480 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 06:15 PM »
thanks Ryan.. yeah, just got my 347 from them today.. :) i was already eyeing it for about 2 weeks now.. was hoping to look around for other shops baka i can get a better price, looks like  sila palang meron dito hehe :)

no problem sir... but as far as i know, AA has the best price palagi...  ;D thats where i got my receiver, AVR and speaker wires from. they have the most accomodating staff as well.  ;)  congrats on your new receiver.  ;D

Offline AICRAG

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • DVD Addict
  • Do unto others before they do unto you
  • Liked:
« Reply #3481 on: Sep 25, 2007 at 06:20 PM »
Yup. I second that too sir ryan.
 Kaya nga sa kanila ako bumili ng AVR340 last March.  Umikot ako shops sa Makati, sila may pinakamababang price.  Tried and tested ko na rin "after sales" service.  One of the best if not the best in my experience.
Kaya nga pati Lovan stands at iba pa items sa kanila ko binili.

So far wala ako issues with the Harman.  Working well.

congrats sa inyong mga may bagong HK. 

Ganda ng bluelight ng volume knob sa dilim no?  hehehehe
Toshiba 55XL700,Dali Ikon 6,Vokal2 MKII,Cayin CD-50T,Ecosse 2.3,IXOS Coax, HK AVR340, NAD 320BEE

Offline Ferl

• Collector
  • Thats me!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3482 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 11:47 AM »
ako din im eyeing on hk, sna maka ausition din ng maayos kc pag naka low profile lang baka magbago isip nila baka mawala ang accomodating charisma.ahehhe. i look forward to try the gears out there.

Kaya nga sa kanila ako bumili ng AVR340 last March.  Umikot ako shops sa Makati, sila may pinakamababang price.  Tried and tested ko na rin "after sales" service.  One of the best if not the best in my experience.

Offline Ferl

• Collector
  • Thats me!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3483 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 11:54 AM »

That's same observations by other users/owners of HK. Due to it's high current design it really tend to heat-up easily or more than other names, esp when idle like tube amps. preformance wise it's really good but you need to place it in well ventilated rack... MHO... ;D

naku po eh wala ako airocn at kadalasan matagal ako gumamit ng mga avr around 5hrs o sobra hindi po ba kaya magkaroon ng problem ang hk nito?

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3484 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 02:04 PM »
you can try adding some muffin fan as i did with mine:

helps a lot. kahit you crank the amp or use if for extended periods no problem.
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #3485 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 11:23 PM »

Same here regarding ArchiAudio. Visit them if you are looking for HK Receivers.

I got from them my HK AVR340. So far, no problem and playing strong. Very strong actually.

Every weekend the family often watch movies, sometimes 3 to 4 DVD movies played in succession. Walang problema! I would sometimes feel the receiver's top really heating up, but I never had any "thermal" shutdowns or other bad things happening to it. Performance is always the same.

BTW, I was a previous Yamaha receiver owner. I had two actually, the RXV440 at the beginning and then the RXV1400 later on. Yamaha receivers are also good, most specially for movies.

HK AVRs, in my experience are good both for movies and audio listening. Plus I like its punchier and heavier sound.

This is just me.

Offline Bogsle

• DVD Addict
  • Bogs
  • Liked:
« Reply #3486 on: Sep 30, 2007 at 11:45 PM »
haha... same trepidation here. i can't imagine how they can ever get to the front pcb without messing up the wiring. i was just disappointed how the hk designers came up with that decision. what were they thinking, you ought to throw away your avr once the battery's gone kaput?

i was particularly having difficulties now having switched to front pj without a secondary monitor yet, so i don't ever try to switch off my avr now. i have the bass management set to 40/60/80 in F/C/S and it works well for me, but the default x'over once you switched off the unit is 100hz for all channels... and you can't access it without a monitor.

Just a comment on the particular note in red above.

Maybe so this is the reason, but were not sure about that.

Maybe another reason also is that it is meant to be worked on by a qualified technician at a certified service center.

Yes it is costly. But so is owning a vehicle which has to be maintained regularly. For me service cost comes with the teritory. I'm not speaking only for HK but for other HT and audio equipment brand.

It maybe be safer and practical that way, to have it serviced by a technician, since you don't risk further destroying the equipment or even hurting yourself.

Just a thought lang po. No bad intentions here.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2007 at 11:46 PM by Bogsle »

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3487 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 11:42 AM »
no offense taken.

anyway, my complaint is in the context of the particular "problem". as you may
know, CMOS batteries for pc's are easily user-serviceable... and haven't heard
so many horror stories, if none at all, of the pc going kaput just becoz of a simple
battery replacement.

on your other point, i think even for a qualified technician there would be some
risk of messing things up becoz of the location and layout of the board of the
suspect part (the top portion in the above pic). at the least, he will have to
mess up the quite neat cable management just to get to that pesky battery.

Offline r_Y_@_n

• DVD Addict
  • andre marcus
  • Liked:
« Reply #3488 on: Oct 01, 2007 at 04:05 PM »

sobrang accomodating talaga mga taga-AA. the best service and price.  ;D ;D ;D  as for my HK245, la naman problem since i've only had it for 2-3 weeks only.  ;)

and true, ang ganda nga ng volume knob sa dilim...  even the wife likes it... ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007 at 12:57 AM by r_Y_@_n »

Offline scaglietti

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3489 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 12:42 PM »
have anybody tried (or auditioned) harman kardon stereo receivers? Are they ok for music?  HK 3385 and HK 3485 at 80 and 120 watts respectively. Both channels operating at full-rated power according to their website.  Looks good basing on the specs right?

Offline ariel

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3490 on: Oct 19, 2007 at 05:47 AM »
For those looking for the back-up battery, it is located in the front panel. It is not a battery but a small black capacitor (about 1cm x 1cm) .047Farad. If your equipment is out of warranty, you can try to replace it as long as you know what you are doing. If it is still under warranty, have it repaired by the shop. good luck!!

Offline Miguel^

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3491 on: Oct 20, 2007 at 05:31 PM »
have anybody tried (or auditioned) harman kardon stereo receivers? Are they ok for music?  HK 3385 and HK 3485 at 80 and 120 watts respectively. Both channels operating at full-rated power according to their website.  Looks good basing on the specs right?
Anybody?  Specs looks good, but are they even available locally? Amazon price is $250, pretty cheap eh.

Offline kane

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #3492 on: Oct 20, 2007 at 07:50 PM »
Anybody?  Specs looks good, but are they even available locally? Amazon price is $250, pretty cheap eh.

meron 3385 sa audio store sa sm cyberzone north edsa, forgot the name of the store.  16k yung price.  but didnt get to audition it, di pa kasi naka setup and wala din ako time that day.

Offline escy77

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3493 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 10:09 AM »
Good day! I am contemplating on getting a HK avr and I noticed that the price in the US is significantly lower. If I buy there, will they honor the warranty here? Can they repair (110v) it here? Are there any other problems I might encounter? Please share your opinions. Thank you!

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3494 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 10:20 AM »
i don't know how much is "significantly lower". but given that your avr will be 110/120v, that means you should get a step-down transformer. that would be around 3-4k easily to get a well-spec'd high capacity avr/stepdown transformer. i don't have actual experience with beyond innovations, the local service center for HK though... but feedbacks about them are quite mixed.

Offline escy77

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3495 on: Oct 21, 2007 at 10:32 AM »
Gearhead,

Thank you for your reply! The price of HK avr-347 for example in amazon.com is $480+ and HK avr-645 is $580+ if I remeber it right. It is almost half the retail here. Like the avr-347 which is going more than P40t here. 

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3496 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 11:39 AM »
Good day! I am contemplating on getting a HK avr and I noticed that the price in the US is significantly lower. If I buy there, will they honor the warranty here? Can they repair (110v) it here? Are there any other problems I might encounter? Please share your opinions. Thank you!

They can repair it but they wont honor the warranty as its not international. I found this out when I tried to have my friend's HK635 (from Canada) repaired at Beyond Inno. Cost him 11.5k  :'(

Offline escy77

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3497 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 07:21 PM »
Sir Matzer,

It is nice to know that they can repair it if in case. Sir, was your friend's HK was suppose to be under international warranty when it broke down? Why was it so expensive? Do they charge higher because it is a 110v? If it is you? Is it worth the risk to buy abroad? Thank you!

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3498 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 10:33 AM »
I got my HK630 at around 50k, My friend got his HK635 from Canada for about 40k. His repair cost (DSP board got ruined) was 11k. Making his HK same cost as mine, plus he has the risk of plugging it to a 220v socket.

But if you are getting your HK at half the retail price here, I think its worth it, as long as you have a relative willing to lug around a heavy receiver sa airport, why not?

At those low prices, get the 6 series, they ROCK.

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3499 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 12:54 PM »
Sir, what brand of step-down transformer would your recommend for the H/K? Ok na ba yung panther? Is ours 50hz or 60hz?
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline escy77

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3500 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 01:21 PM »
Sir Matzer,

Thank you for your advice! I am really looking at the 6 series.

Offline Muttley

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3501 on: Oct 28, 2007 at 06:49 AM »

Help naman!

What's the best setting when using 3 speakers (L C R) and a subwoofer. am currently using 6ch direct (AVR245)?  TIA

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3502 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 10:02 PM »
Help naman!

What's the best setting when using 3 speakers (L C R) and a subwoofer. am currently using 6ch direct (AVR245)?  TIA

even if you are using L C R or other speakers with Sub (also even FS with 6" less woofer still considered small) for HT better set them to all small so that the LF from all channels will be routed to Sub and all speakers will produce only mid - high requency sound....  ::)  8)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline Muttley

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3503 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 09:24 AM »
even if you are using L C R or other speakers with Sub (also even FS with 6" less woofer still considered small) for HT better set them to all small so that the LF from all channels will be routed to Sub and all speakers will produce only mid - high requency sound....  ::)  8)

Maraming salamat sir! Now the bad news!!! sira pala yung SW  :'( ko tagal ko na di nagamit ngayon ko lang natuklasan. I know its the amp side (velodyne) pwede ba disconnect yun then use the high level input?

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3504 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 02:48 PM »
Maraming salamat sir! Now the bad news!!! sira pala yung SW  :'( ko tagal ko na di nagamit ngayon ko lang natuklasan. I know its the amp side (velodyne) pwede ba disconnect yun then use the high level input?

Active Sub were designed to work properly with it's own power and active crossover, using it as passive may not work properly or unexpected result might happen. IMHO, not recommended.  ;D
LCR speakers are medium sizes so for now you can set the L/R to large and C to small, just don't crank it hard specially on movies.  ;D
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline Muttley

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3505 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 05:34 PM »
Active Sub were designed to work properly with it's own power and active crossover, using it as passive may not work properly or unexpected result might happen. IMHO, not recommended.  ;D
LCR speakers are medium sizes so for now you can set the L/R to large and C to small, just don't crank it hard specially on movies.  ;D

thank you agen sir!  ;D will sure do your suggested setting...wala pa moolah for a new SW...recommend naman po kayo mid level na SW

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3506 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 06:06 PM »
thank you agen sir!  ;D will sure do your suggested setting...wala pa moolah for a new SW...recommend naman po kayo mid level na SW

that will be OT... here.  ::)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline t_s_o_n_g

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3507 on: Nov 02, 2007 at 01:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

Anyone here knows where can I buy remote control for AVR 130? Fade na kasi some buttons sa remote ko.  :)

Thanks!

Offline spectraav

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3508 on: Nov 03, 2007 at 10:51 AM »
Hi Guys,

Anyone here knows where can I buy remote control for AVR 130? Fade na kasi some buttons sa remote ko.  :)

Thanks!
sir,
i can ask the distributor on monday regarding the remote control for avr130

Offline t_s_o_n_g

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3509 on: Nov 04, 2007 at 09:33 PM »
Hi spectraav,

Thanks for your reply. I've sent you PM.

Thanks!