Author Topic: The Plasma Thread  (Read 102813 times)

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Plasma Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2007 at 11:08 AM »
did you get all your money back?
money is best spent

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2007 at 11:35 AM »
sad to hear your story bro......good luck on your new quest......

Thanks Munskie!

Sayang nga dahil satisfied naman ako sa PQ ng Hitachi. Parehas pa sana tayo ng PDP ;D.

On the bright side, at least I'm open again to new options.

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2007 at 11:39 AM »
did you get all your money back?

I'll just have it replaced by the store with another brand. I haven't decided what to get yet. I'm leaning on the new Samsungs, LCD & PDP.

Sayang nga, we were just talking about doing some calibration using your DVE. Anyway, I'll still drop by your place sometime this week to have alook at your PJ. Text text na lang.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2007 at 12:17 PM »
I just returned my Hitachi plasma, due to very bad customer service. 

Sorry to hear about the hassle.

I'll just have it replaced by the store with another brand. I haven't decided what to get yet. I'm leaning on the new Samsungs, LCD & PDP.

Well, that's the end of the contrast fluctuation issue, at least.

Samsung has good LCDs, but I would advise against their plasmas, which are still relatively prone to burn-in.     

On the other hand, burn-in on Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas are virtually unheard of these days.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007 at 12:18 PM by barrister »

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2007 at 01:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about the hassle.

It was indeed a hassle. A good product ruined by bad customer service. We Pinoys have a lot to learn about customer service.

Well, that's the end of the contrast fluctuation issue, at least.

One more consolation ;D besides having to deal with their lousy customer service.

Samsung has good LCDs, but I would advise against their plasmas, which are still relatively prone to burn-in.     

On the other hand, burn-in on Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas are virtually unheard of these days.

I would like the Panasonic and Pioneer. It's just that they're more expensive. The Pioneer that they have at Anson's is at 179K and the Pana is at 125K. But the Panasonic is still EDTV. What Panasonic PDP HDTV is now available here?

The new Samsung plasmas, based on their spec sheet, have burn-in protection features. It's just that PQ-wise, when I tested it, using the settings that I used with the Hitachi, the Samsung PDP have softer images. My usual settings for the Hitachi were mostly 50% for the contrast & brightness, around 35%-40% for the color, and it was already vivid even at day viewing. But with the Samsung PDP, it's like you have to set it at about 75% for contrast & brightness and about 60% for color to attain the same PQ.  The pluses for Samsung are the FilterBright feature that is said to absorb ambient lighting for better viewing at bright environ and the lower price (110K, can still be lowered with a little haggling). The new Samsung PDP's look like the new Sonoma Plus.

The new Samsung Bordeaux Plus is Editor's Choice at CNET Asia. Looks like a strong candidate for my replacement. The 37-incher is at 99.9K.

It's very stressful going through the selection process AGAIN >:(.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2007 at 09:31 PM »
I would like the Panasonic and Pioneer. It's just that they're more expensive. The Pioneer that they have at Anson's is at 179K and the Pana is at 125K. But the Panasonic is still EDTV. What Panasonic PDP HDTV is now available here?

If you mean Panasonic from the authorized Philippine distributor, they have on their website the Viera TH-42PV500M plasma, with 1024 x 768 native res.  I saw one on display at SM V-Mall in Greenhills.

The new Samsung plasmas, based on their spec sheet, have burn-in protection features.

I wouldn't place too much reliance on a manufacturer's self-serving declarations.  Mas reliable ang user comments sa mga forums, and those comments do not inspire confidence.

The new Samsung plasmas, based on their spec sheet, have burn-in protection features. It's just that PQ-wise, when I tested it, using the settings that I used with the Hitachi, the Samsung PDP have softer images. My usual settings for the Hitachi were mostly 50% for the contrast & brightness, around 35%-40% for the color, and it was already vivid even at day viewing. But with the Samsung PDP, it's like you have to set it at about 75% for contrast & brightness and about 60% for color to attain the same PQ.

I think Samsung's plasmas are considered 2nd tier only.  Sub-par performance is not surprising.

The new Samsung Bordeaux Plus is Editor's Choice at CNET Asia. Looks like a strong candidate for my replacement. The 37-incher is at 99.9K.

Samsung's LCDs are considered 1st-tier, so it's a safe choice.  Besides, Samsung in the Philippines has a reputation for top-notch aftersales service.  
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007 at 09:34 PM by barrister »

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2007 at 09:49 PM »
jvm,

i can truly say i know how you feel  >:(, i went through the same hellish nightmare with hitachi  :'(, at least now you're liberated from the problematic units they gave you, happy hunting!  ;D
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2007 at 11:43 AM »
Talaga?  Hindi ko nabalitaan yun a.  Hitachi LCD or plasma?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007 at 11:44 AM by barrister »

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2007 at 01:46 PM »
Talaga?  Hindi ko nabalitaan yun a.  Hitachi LCD or plasma?

barrister it was THE famous hitachi 37ld8800ta editors choice ek ek, back light bleed after only 2 weeks use.

since we were familiar with hitachi tvs (we have them in the states until now and really great service support) we didnt hesitate to get the 8800 after of course the usual demo against other units, we got it for its good detail pq and all other nice features.

after the service tech checked the unit he asked us to furthere observe if it will disappear completely as it was just intermittent, but it didnt take more than another week and it was washing scenes already. Called the tech and he said he's recommending for a replacement of the unit.  Unfortunately no stock was available according to them and we have to wait for their new arrivals, which never came. They made us wait for 2 months thru CHRISTMAS season!
I couldnt even show my PRIZED tv to my guests because the screen clouding would only expose me to critics of smart ass relatives for choosing the brand over the more popular ones! ARAY! So in january07 to appease us they gave us a PLASMA service unit while we waited for the replacement unit. After a week, they admitted to us that there will be a remote chance for the replacement to arrive since the new models are out already. Since we couldnt accept the new model as replacement as it was inferior in features with our 8800, they offered the PLASMA version of the 8800 series but we will need to add cash. I suggested that we would rather get the new PLASMA model if we are going to add cash. HERE COMES THE FUNNY PART GUYS: since we paid Php115t cash for the 37ld8800ta they want us to add 60t more for the 42pd9800ta for a total of Php175t !!! do you know how much stores were selling the 42pd9800ta plasma then, only Php 135t !!!!!!!!!!! I calmly asked them to please ask their boss if this is correct as they should only charge me the same as the stores sell them for at the most, in fact they should charge less as they are the dealer right? 

Well the fast ones among us will say, what the dealer is charging him for the defective unit, what kind of a--hole company is that thinking that someone is stupid enought to agree to this? After making us wait for months this is going to be our treatment? Their boss's reply after another 2 weeks of waiting: its Php 60t final.

After leaving out the store on this problem, i wrote a detailed letter of complaint to the store and i received the warmest apology i've gotten and was notified after 2 days that the company president himself ordered them to replace my unit and/or credit my payment on any product i would choose, no question asked against the lowest price i can find from any store. After almost 4 months of hell with hitachi, it only took me a week to complain, demo, approve and deliver home my new tv from the store!!!  Shew, finally service fit for the product i bought!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2007 at 09:58 PM »
Grabe... hindi pala isolated incident ang kay sir jvm.  Talaga palang dakila ang kapalpakan ng Hitachi Philippines.

I can't imagine why they would treat a flat panel customer this way.  A customer who has an extra P100k in his bank account to play with is not easy to find.       
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007 at 10:10 PM by barrister »

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2007 at 07:59 AM »
akala yata ng dealer na yan eh we're monkeys living on trees, he'd rather mistreat customers every now and then since mabenta naman daw product nya, what's one customer to him who's complaining something unheard of? well now marami na nag complain sa backlight bleed or clouding ang ibang companies so i guess alam nya na kung ano ang complain ko sa tv nya!!!

i have made no public posting of this experience because i dont want to be perceived as a 'mole' by forum members, but since people are already coming out with their own experiences i guess its time to really expose their boss who often has 'lucid intervals' in his decision making.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2007 at 08:13 AM »
Regret to hear jvm& dB10's unpleasant experience...I can understand dealing with such poor service is indeed very stressful & frustrating. dB10's story is very similar to one of my past predicament in our office but I can't recall if it's the same brand.

The buying process of a new equip/appliance is easy....the nighmare always begin when that item broke down or encounter problems...  :(

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2007 at 08:17 AM »
Palpak talaga sa customer service yang Hitachi. Yesterday, galing ako sa Anson's, para pumili ng replacement. Pero di pa pala sila naka submit ng service report sa Anson's, kaya delayed na naman pagkuha ko ng replacement. Almost a week na mula nang naibalik ko tv nila, pero wala pa rin.

Loko talaga yang Hitachi. Yong taga sales mismo nagsabi sa akin ng price reduction bago ko pa man isauli yong unit. Tapos magpapadagdag, samantalang ang baba na sa store. Kaya hinala ko talaga, kaya binawi yong rack kasi di sila nakakuha ng dagdag mula sa akin.

dB10, at least we made this known to our fellow PDVD members and warn them of the kind of customer service that they could expect if they buy Hate-achi products.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007 at 08:19 AM by jvm »

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2007 at 08:24 AM »
If you mean Panasonic from the authorized Philippine distributor, they have on their website the Viera TH-42PV500M plasma, with 1024 x 768 native res.  I saw one on display at SM V-Mall in Greenhills.

I wouldn't place too much reliance on a manufacturer's self-serving declarations.  Mas reliable ang user comments sa mga forums, and those comments do not inspire confidence.

I think Samsung's plasmas are considered 2nd tier only.  Sub-par performance is not surprising.

Samsung's LCDs are considered 1st-tier, so it's a safe choice.  Besides, Samsung in the Philippines has a reputation for top-notch aftersales service.  

Tested the Samsung plasma yesterday, with my own dvd player and dvd's, and it is really not impressive, below average I'd say. Full na yong contrast setting parang katumbas lang ng -5 na setting kumpara sa Hitachi.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2007 at 08:37 AM »
dB10, at least we made this known to our fellow PDVD members and warn them of the kind of customer service that they could expect if they buy Hate-achi products.

Thanks for the advance warning guys...now we know what brand to be caution...Hate-achi  ;D

Offline Mouldingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2007 at 09:32 AM »
I would like to share with you my experience with Hitachi dreaded after sales service. My 55PMA550 broke down after 2.5 years. It was diagnosed with a broken Power board. I was told it would cost me 30K w/ labor cost, take it or leave it :o :o . I inquired with Hitachi HK on the price of the said part. I was reffered to Mr. Marvin Balistoy ([email protected]). I told him of my complaint and he was able to talk to the West Avenue Service Center to lower the price to 20K, but they now would charge a 3.5K labor fee ::) ::). Ayaw talagang malamangan :P
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007 at 09:40 AM by Mouldingo »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2007 at 09:54 AM »
akala yata ng dealer na yan eh we're monkeys living on trees, he'd rather mistreat customers every now and then since mabenta naman daw product nya, what's one customer to him who's complaining something unheard of?

Ewan ko kung iniisip niyang mabenta ang Hitachi flat panels.  That's disputable.  On the contrary, mahina ang benta ng Hitachi.  Ni hindi ka nga makakita ng appliance store na meron nito e.

When I was shopping for a plasma last January, nahirapan ako kakahanap ng appliance store na may display nito.  I finally found a display at Anson in Makati, day-off pa yung salesman in charge.  Nagduda tuloy ako sa aftersales service nila.  Mag-provide lang ng display at salesman tinatamad na, sa aftersales service pa kaya maging masipag ito?

With this much negative feedback, lalong hihina ang mahinang benta ng Hate-achi.  ::)

Offline New_comer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2007 at 10:43 AM »
Tested the Samsung plasma yesterday, with my own dvd player and dvd's, and it is really not impressive, below average I'd say. Full na yong contrast setting parang katumbas lang ng -5 na setting kumpara sa Hitachi.

There's a Samsung plasma mounted near the toys section at the SM Mall of Asia - Supermarket. At that time, it was playing Walt disney's Cinderella. Jos ko po, grabe ang trailing jaggies. Nakaka-irritate panoorin. Kahit yung mga batang nanduon, tinatanong kung ano yung aninong humahabol sa mga images. P164,000 pa naman yung presyong naka-paskel sa tabi nya.  :(

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2007 at 10:58 AM »
I would like to share with you my experience with Hitachi dreaded after sales service. My 55PMA550 broke down after 2.5 years. It was diagnosed with a broken Power board. I was told it would cost me 30K w/ labor cost, take it or leave it :o :o . I inquired with Hitachi HK on the price of the said part. I was reffered to Mr. Marvin Balistoy ([email protected]). I told him of my complaint and he was able to talk to the West Avenue Service Center to lower the price to 20K, but they now would charge a 3.5K labor fee ::) ::). Ayaw talagang malamangan :P

Samantalang pagbumibili ka pa lang, sasabihin nila na lifetime free-service, parts lang babayaran after warranty period. >:(

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2007 at 03:22 PM »
Oops I deposited na for a Hitachi Plasma last friday, will have it delivered 2nd week of June pa kasi will be out of the country starting next week. Although I am not getting it from Ansons, would you guys think I will experience the same problem if ever kailangan ko pa service yung unit ko  ???

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2007 at 03:38 PM »
i guess no matter what the performance of the unit, if it is not durable enough and the after sales support is dismal and repair service is exhorbitant, it will never have the brand loyalty of customers and their recommendation to others, sayang lang ang effort nila if they cannot get these things in line.

there's no perfect tv we have to admit, but at least huwag naman sya mag conk out agad far below its rated lifespan, and if they do, sana they put a service support na reasonably customer friendly at prompt ang actions....

....at tanggalin nila yung p-----na boss nila na sobra gahaman sa pera at walang consideration sa customer nila.....pangit na nga tv nila pati ugali nila ganun din!

pardon na lang at nakakainit ng ulo kapag na recall ko experience ko dyan...mag relax muna ako at watch muna ng dvd sandali para bumaba ang bp ko...  

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2007 at 03:45 PM »
Oops I deposited na for a Hitachi Plasma last friday, will have it delivered 2nd week of June pa kasi will be out of the country starting next week. Although I am not getting it from Ansons, would you guys think I will experience the same problem if ever kailangan ko pa service yung unit ko  ???

you still have a chance to get a different unit, so long as you have not accepted delivery ok lang sa store yan, just get another one if you feel you're not confident anymore, you can actually postpone your choice and leave your deposit with them until you've decided and maybe even saved enough for a better unit  ;) also you can even catch the price drop of the better units then ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2007 at 05:40 PM »

Siyempre naman.  Ok ang Anson's --- yung Hitachi Philippines ang hindi OK.  Sana hindi masira, pero pag nasira, you can bet that you will experience the same problems.   

you still have a chance to get a different unit, so long as you have not accepted delivery ok lang sa store yan..

Korek!

Sir vtec3, sabihin mo sa retailer natakot ka dahil nabalitaan mo kung gaanong kagaling ang service ng Hitachi Philippines  :D .

========================================================

Yung mga nakuryente sa Hitachi Philippines service, email n'yo naman ang Hitachi Singapore at ikuwento n'yo ang inyong malungkot at mapighating karanasan.

Sana mabuwisit ang Hitachi Singapore para humanap sila ng bagong exclusive Philippine distributor!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007 at 05:45 PM by barrister »

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2007 at 07:20 PM »
Yung mga nakuryente sa Hitachi Philippines service, email n'yo naman ang Hitachi Singapore at ikuwento n'yo ang inyong malungkot at mapighating karanasan.

Sana mabuwisit ang Hitachi Singapore para humanap sila ng bagong exclusive Philippine distributor!

I'll do this.

Ang laking sama ng loob at abala ang ginawa nila sa akin.

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2007 at 07:23 PM »
you still have a chance to get a different unit, so long as you have not accepted delivery ok lang sa store yan, just get another one if you feel you're not confident anymore, you can actually postpone your choice and leave your deposit with them until you've decided and maybe even saved enough for a better unit  ;) also you can even catch the price drop of the better units then ;D

with all of the horror stories maybe it was meant that i did not yet bring home the Hitachi. Didn't realize how hard pala to buy a Flat Panel TV  ??? Had a similar experience with my 43" RPTV the remote was malfunctioning intermittently and when I called the service center I was told that the labor charge is 2,500  :( :( :( ang mahal na ng labor charge ako pa ang nagmamakaawa na gawin yung unit ko. And when they finally went to fix it, they took out the board and again ako pa ang nagfollow-up para maibalik at install yung board  :(

would you guys know how much will it cost to have the Hitachi do a home service? Although I remember 3 years daw ang free labor, hopefully lang hindi 3 years ako na maghihintay for their service to come.

wanted to get sana the Pioneer kaya lang it was selling at 150k parang at that price isang 42" Plasma and 32" LCD na
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007 at 07:25 PM by vtec3 »

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2007 at 07:27 PM »
i want to thank hitachi phil for paving the way for my discovery of pioneer tv, without your kind of after sales service i will not have experienced relaxing tv viewing, salamat at wala na kayo sa buhay ko!... iyan ang gist ng isusulat ko sa hitachi singapore ;)

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2007 at 07:37 PM »

vtec3,

If you're ready to deal with them, proceed. If not, call the store and cancel it and tell them you've changed your mind and would prefer a different brand. Anyway, you have a long leadtime. They may have not ordered it yet.

Tignan mo naman ang pagkakatulad ng aming experiences, obvious na gusto talaga lamangan ang customer. Kay dB10 nagpapadagdag ng sobra-sobra pa sa store price. Ganon din sa akin, nagpapadagdag pa kahit mas mababa na sa store, at nang di sila nakakuha ng dagdag sa akin, binawi yong free rack. Kay mouldingo overpricing ng parts at pagkatapos matawaran maniningil ng service charge na di dapat dahil lifetime free service nga daw sila.

Sino pa kaya ang nabiktima nila ng ganitong klaseng serbisyo?

Sana di ka mapasama.

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2007 at 07:45 PM »
vtec3,

If you're ready to deal with them, proceed. If not, call the store and cancel it and tell them you've changed your mind and would prefer a different brand. Anyway, you have a long leadtime. They may have not ordered it yet.

Tignan mo naman ang pagkakatulad ng aming experiences, obvious na gusto talaga lamangan ang customer. Kay dB10 nagpapadagdag ng sobra-sobra pa sa store price. Ganon din sa akin, nagpapadagdag pa kahit mas mababa na sa store, at nang di sila nakakuha ng dagdag sa akin, binawi yong free rack. Kay mouldingo overpricing ng parts at pagkatapos matawaran maniningil ng service charge na di dapat dahil lifetime free service nga daw sila.

Sino pa kaya ang nabiktima nila ng ganitong klaseng serbisyo?

Sana di ka mapasama.

with what I have read so far, most likely will get another brand na lang. hopefully lang the price difference will not be much. salamat sa mga paalala!

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2007 at 07:50 PM »
Sir vtec3, sabihin mo sa retailer natakot ka dahil nabalitaan mo kung gaanong kagaling ang service ng Hitachi Philippines  :D .

sir barrister, parang medyo madugo na din yung experience ko sa pagpili kung ano ang aking bibilhin LCD or Plasma. when i was about to bring home a 40" LCD medyo umatras ako dahil the sales person was asking for a commission because she was able to work out daw a lower price for me. being also in sales i don't want din my sales people to make money that way.

now naman that i decided na to get a Plasma yung napili ko naman brand eh mayron palang history ng bad customer service  :(

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2007 at 07:51 PM »
wanted to get sana the Pioneer kaya lang it was selling at 150k parang at that price isang 42" Plasma and 32" LCD na
[/quote]

I went through 2 extensive demo within a span of 6 months, first in september of 06 and second in february 07, i saw last year's models and this year's, try mo lang to watch on a pioneer plasma with a good dvd player either on hdmi or component cable using a very good bootleg dvd or better yet an original dvd, if you ask me, i will not trade it for a cheaper plasma + lcd combo, unless i really really really need 2 tv sets and the budget is tight, otherwise  ;D pio nirvana and we're not even talking about the elite series at that!