Author Topic: The Plasma Thread  (Read 102788 times)

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
Re: The Plasma Thread
« Reply #390 on: Oct 05, 2008 at 06:42 AM »
ah sorry i notice the delay sa day after tomorrow but it was tolerable .. no green stuff though .. btw i cant checkout the youtube vids ..bawal sa office .. i can do a workaround but id rather not .. labas nalang muna ako, punta ako internet cafe .. :)
just to quote myself .. i just reinstalled my codec since most of my dvds and 1080p mkvs (for some reason  >:( ) does not play smooth ..
smooth as silk again ..  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2009 at 06:49 AM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #391 on: Oct 12, 2008 at 01:35 AM »
I heard that certain plasma models have the "whitewash" feature. If so, does the PV80 have it? And how is this activated?

Tnx.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #392 on: Oct 12, 2008 at 07:23 AM »
I heard that certain plasma models have the "whitewash" feature. If so, does the PV80 have it? And how is this activated?
Tnx.
i tried tinkering with the menu options of my tv when i first got it .. did not find any options for it on my first attempt and totally forgot about it .. will try and check my tv later if it has it .. ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #393 on: Mar 20, 2009 at 11:27 AM »
Cheapest Panasonic Neo PDP: $1.2K on Amazon

Panasonic Viera S1 Series TC-P42S1 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TC-P42S1-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/B001UE6M8O

CNET review:

Panasonic TC-P42S1
CNET editors' review
Reviewed by: David Katzmaier
Reviewed on: 03/11/2009

Plasma has always used significantly more power than LCD. Panasonic aims to narrow that gap with a new plasma display panel it calls, naturally, Neo PDP. The least expensive of the company's numerous 2009 plasma models to boast the new panel is the TC-PS1 series.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p42s1/4505-6482_7-33490462.html

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2009 at 11:30 AM by barrister »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #394 on: Mar 23, 2009 at 08:32 AM »
Cheapest Panasonic Neo PDP: $1.2K on Amazon
Panasonic Viera S1 Series TC-P42S1 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Viera-TC-P42S1-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/B001UE6M8O
CNET review:
Panasonic TC-P42S1
CNET editors' review
Reviewed by: David Katzmaier
Reviewed on: 03/11/2009

Plasma has always used significantly more power than LCD. Panasonic aims to narrow that gap with a new plasma display panel it calls, naturally, Neo PDP. The least expensive of the company's numerous 2009 plasma models to boast the new panel is the TC-PS1 series.
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p42s1/4505-6482_7-33490462.html

"Next time, baby!"
ninjababez online ..

Offline koykoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • The answer my friend...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #395 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 02:02 PM »
Just cannot get this out of my head...  ???

I finally got the PV8 and in the break-in period.  Watching movies lang being careful not to pause for a long time.

This brings me the thought of the widescreen or the black bars up and down.  The manual says we should be careful of the 4:3 mode which has the black bars left and right.

So, my question is:  If the black in plasma has nothing to do with the phosphours (or the absence of electricity or light), shouldnt we worry about it?  My analogy is that it is just the same with turning the tv off.  Somebody please enlighten  :'(

This so I do not have to worry watching movies in widescreen mode.  Currently Im watching them stretch out to the sides or zooming in which crops some side details.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #396 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 03:10 PM »
Others can correct me if I'm wrong but I think this has to do with having the phosphors "age" at the same time. If you watch something with black bars, the parts where the movie is showing may get dimmer than the ones not being used (black bars). Later on, it's possible you might notice a difference in the brightness of the phosphors when you're watching something in full screen.

But then, this is just a precaution during break in. Some people even say that you don't need to break in at all so you might not even notice any difference one way or another.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2009 at 03:11 PM by sardaukar »

Offline koykoy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #397 on: Mar 30, 2009 at 03:52 PM »
ah, ok... yes, i think it makes sense... parang warm-up pala...

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #398 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 06:55 AM »
This so I do not have to worry watching movies in widescreen mode.  Currently Im watching them stretch out to the sides or zooming in which crops some side details.
what player are you using?  you can use panasonics zoom 1, and/or the overscan option.  this should fill out the screen, maybe a little stretched but no lost in detail.
or if youre using an htpc, use kmplayer.  there is an option there to stretch, overscan etc. keyboard shortcut is ctrl + enter.  hth  ;)
btw dont worry too much about burn in, you might end up not enjoying your viewing.  ;)
for what its worth i didnt follow the burn in procedure, i just "whitewashed" my plasma for 24 hours for even burning of phospor  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline kalash

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #399 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 10:11 AM »

Read all about the break in period procedures in this thread and after getting a plasma TV, I initially planned to follow it but after lowering all the settings and stretching, it destroys my watching experience and that would be for 100hrs if you follow it. I immediately switched back all the settings to the best settings possible and even watched a full length movie with black bars in dynamic mode and there was no burn in. I have not reached the 100hr mark yet but until now, there is still no sign of burn in. I only use this TV for cable and dvd viewing.

Offline koykoy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #400 on: Apr 02, 2009 at 03:48 PM »
what player are you using?  you can use panasonics zoom 1, and/or the overscan option.  this should fill out the screen, maybe a little stretched but no lost in detail.
or if youre using an htpc, use kmplayer.  there is an option there to stretch, overscan etc. keyboard shortcut is ctrl + enter.  hth  ;)
btw dont worry too much about burn in, you might end up not enjoying your viewing.  ;)
for what its worth i didnt follow the burn in procedure, i just "whitewashed" my plasma for 24 hours for even burning of phospor  :D

im using htpc at the moment and i just change the aspect ratio to 4:3.  it fills the screen vertically and crops out the side details.

and yes, i guess the burn-in may just be "in our minds".  will do the whitewash later.

Offline Toslink

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #401 on: Apr 05, 2009 at 05:17 AM »
nako mga bro have no worry kung gen 7? and above your plasma tv sa burn-in "kuno" ng plasma!.. im using my ever reliable 42" panasonic edtv (gen8- 3yrs old +). very clear sa cable tv (as if dvd quality! - skycable),...used it sa PS3 (480p-1080i capable pero naka set sa 720p ;D) na sabi nila eh "bad" daw sa plasma? nakow kalokohan yun!  ;D naglalaro anak ko sa ps3 almost 10hrs walang patayan almost everyday, still no sign of problem...   ;D ;D, black bars sa widescreen? no problem yun basta wag lang 48hrs na may blackbars hehehehe, make sure lang na nako "on" ang screensavers nyo.... nakatuwa nyan eh kala ko up to 480p lang tv ko mag-upgrade sana ako ng tv nung time na bumili ako ng ps3 pero kaya pala nya up to 1080i... good! laking tipid ko!... HD!  ::)
Marantz SR8012
Epson TW8100 3D
Samy 78HU9000 w/ SEK-3500 OCB
B&W 683/HTM61/686 all S1
SVS PB12NSD x2

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #402 on: Apr 05, 2009 at 06:52 AM »
nako mga bro have no worry kung gen 7? and above your plasma tv sa burn-in "kuno" ng plasma!.. im using my ever reliable 42" panasonic edtv (gen8- 3yrs old +). very clear sa cable tv (as if dvd quality! - skycable),...used it sa PS3 (480p-1080i capable pero naka set sa 720p ;D) na sabi nila eh "bad" daw sa plasma? nakow kalokohan yun!  ;D naglalaro anak ko sa ps3 almost 10hrs walang patayan almost everyday, still no sign of problem...   ;D ;D, black bars sa widescreen? no problem yun basta wag lang 48hrs na may blackbars hehehehe, make sure lang na nako "on" ang screensavers nyo.... nakatuwa nyan eh kala ko up to 480p lang tv ko mag-upgrade sana ako ng tv nung time na bumili ako ng ps3 pero kaya pala nya up to 1080i... good! laking tipid ko!... HD!  ::)
3 years old and no burn .. nice ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:

Offline cj_highnoon

• Apprentice
  • Live for NOTHING or die for SOMETHING!
  • Liked:
« Reply #404 on: May 16, 2009 at 11:54 PM »
Xencia mga Sir medyo out of thread topic... ask ko lang sana if anybody knows the AVsurfer store location and better if if i can have the number too.. I will greatly appreciate it.

ME promo kasi and HSBC na LCD 50% 18 months to pay off but i have to know kung me available pa sila sa stock before ako mag pa Manila. Ill be coming from Cebu.

Anybody! pls help. Thanks.
,, from the war to the bar... chillin\'..:-)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #405 on: Jul 08, 2009 at 10:38 AM »

Hometheatermag has a simple but good explanation about Panasonic 2009's 600Hz sub-field tech:

Panasonic TC-P46G10 Plasma HDTV
By Thomas J. Norton   •   June, 2009

... Panasonic claims improved motion performance for its new panel and drive system, thanks to an increase in the subfield drive frequency to 600 hertz. Subfield drive is a fundamental part of plasma display technology, not a special feature. It’s related to how often each pixel flashes for each picture frame and the digital video bit rate. To explain this briefly, without wading waist deep into techno babble, if you increase the subfield drive frequency, it increases the options available to designers. This allows them to enhance the image in a number of ways, including smoother motion and less false contouring. However, simply increasing the frequency does not do this. Rather, it’s how the engineers make use of the added capability of that higher frequency that counts.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/flat-panels/panasonic_tc-p46g10_plasma_hdtv/

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #406 on: Mar 17, 2014 at 04:31 PM »
Samsung Axes H7000 Plasma TV; F8500 to Carry Over in 2014
By Vincent Teoh
15 March 2014, 2:00 am GMT

Samsung has announced its US plasma TV lineup for 2014, and it appears that the hotly anticipated H7000 series – originally slated for release during this summer – has been axed. The Samsung F8500 PDP (plasma display panel) will carry on selling in 2014 as the company’s high-end plasma offering.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-h7000-201403153671.htm
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2014 at 04:31 PM by barrister »

Offline disturbed

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Guru
  • Music as a Weapon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #407 on: Mar 17, 2014 at 04:36 PM »
^

Though it pains us to say as video enthusiasts, Samsung’s decision makes perfect business sense. The South Korean TV brand is betting big on ultra high-definition (UHD) and curved displays, and flat-screen plasmas which are almost impossible to be made in 4K guise are the direct antithesis of the company’s vision. We predict that Samsung will pull the plug on its PDP division in 2015, perhaps even as early as late-2014. The future is 4K Ultra HD, and unfortunately there’s just no place for plasma.

that is just so wrong :(
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2014 at 04:37 PM by disturbed »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: Mar 17, 2014 at 04:40 PM »

Samsung PN64H5000 (USA) Plasma TV Review
By David Mackenzie  14 March 2014   Verdict: Recommended

... Overall, we think the Samsung PN64H5000 is going to put smiles on the faces of self-emissive display fans, at a time where there’s precious little other good news (Samsung seems to have one foot out of bed with OLED at the moment, and we don’t have to remind anyone about Panasonic’s recent decision).

The “elephant in the room” is the pentile subpixel layout, which observant users might find to be an acquired taste at this screen size.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/pn64h5000-201403143657.htm
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2014 at 04:40 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #409 on: Mar 25, 2014 at 10:18 PM »
The Last – And Best – Panasonic Plasma We’ll Ever Review
By Vincent Teoh
23 March 2014, 2:00 pm GMT

Ok, this is REALLY the last Panasonic plasma we’ll ever review.

Shortly after we published our Viera TX-P42GT60B review five weeks ago, declaring it as “the last Panasonic plasma we’ll ever review”, our friends at Panasonic Store Doncaster contacted us, offering to send us the TX-P60ZT65B – the best plasma TV the Japanese manufacturer has ever produced – to test as a fitting final farewell. Given our genuine admiration of what Panasonic plasmas have brought to the video enthusiast community over the years, how could we refuse?

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/zt-201403233655.htm
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2014 at 10:25 PM by barrister »

Offline mujacko2002

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 678
« Reply #410 on: Mar 26, 2014 at 07:51 AM »
The Last – And Best – Panasonic Plasma We’ll Ever Review
By Vincent Teoh
23 March 2014, 2:00 pm GMT

Ok, this is REALLY the last Panasonic plasma we’ll ever review.

Shortly after we published our Viera TX-P42GT60B review five weeks ago, declaring it as “the last Panasonic plasma we’ll ever review”, our friends at Panasonic Store Doncaster contacted us, offering to send us the TX-P60ZT65B – the best plasma TV the Japanese manufacturer has ever produced – to test as a fitting final farewell. Given our genuine admiration of what Panasonic plasmas have brought to the video enthusiast community over the years, how could we refuse?

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/zt-201403233655.htm

Mabuhay!

Available na kaya ito sa Philippines?
God is good all the time!!!
mypalhs.com
planetromeo.com

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #411 on: Mar 26, 2014 at 09:08 PM »
my VT60 is impressing every guest na makapanuod dito sa bahay. buti na lang nairaos to, medyo mahirap na ang stocks dito, especially the ST60.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline joko11

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • la dolce vita
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: Mar 26, 2014 at 11:03 PM »
bookmarked
Primum Nil Nocere

Offline brutalpanda

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: Apr 01, 2014 at 11:34 PM »
If anyone's interested, I inquired in Western Appliances in Fishermall on Samsung's 43F4900 Plasma. I know it's not Full HD but it has active 3D. And the final discounted price is P19,500 for full cash payment. Planning to get one myself this week. Not bad right? Or is this a bad set?
Honest Movie Reviews:
http://www.reeladvice.net

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 12:07 AM »
For me, bad set. Why?  Because pixel size is too small.

It's a 720p panel.  OK lang dapat yon.  Pero compared to 720p LCDs, mas maliit ang pixels ng 720p plasma, kaya malaki ang distance between pixels, kita yung interpixel distances as stripes.

See my old post: http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,185674.msg2024431.html#msg2024431
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2014 at 12:14 AM by barrister »

Offline brutalpanda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 08:46 AM »
For me, bad set. Why?  Because pixel size is too small.

It's a 720p panel.  OK lang dapat yon.  Pero compared to 720p LCDs, mas maliit ang pixels ng 720p plasma, kaya malaki ang distance between pixels, kita yung interpixel distances as stripes.

See my old post: http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php/topic,185674.msg2024431.html#msg2024431

Ow! I'll think about it siguro. Would screen size matter since I'm getting 43" versus 51" in the post linked? I'll probably have another look to see if I can see any pixels, Didn't notice it last night.

thanks!
Honest Movie Reviews:

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #416 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 12:48 PM »
It depends on screen size and viewing distance.  Less noticeable for smaller screen and farther distance.

In my case, I can still see stripes even on a 43" plasma.  Look for white areas of the screen and edges of fonts.  If you can't see the stripes, then I think it's a good TV.

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2014 at 12:48 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 12:51 PM »
Why Samsung's F8500 is the last great plasma TV
Contrary to what the company indicated at CES, Samsung won't bring to market
any new plasma TVs for 2014 -- aside from a single mainstream 64-inch model.
That leaves the carryover F8500 as default champion of non-OLED picture quality.

by David Katzmaier
@dkatzmaier / March 31, 2014 3:10 PM PDT

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-samsungs-f8500-is-the-last-great-plasma-tv/

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2014 at 12:53 PM by barrister »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #418 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 01:03 PM »
Why Ultra HD 4K TVs are still stupid
The flood of TVs with higher resolution than 1080p is inevitable,
but at typical TV sizes, quadruple the pixels makes no difference
in picture quality and are not worth the extra price.

by Geoffrey Morrison
@TechWriterGeoff / January 28, 2013 5:32 PM PST

... Nothing I say will stop Ultra HD. Look no further than our own CES coverage for proof of that. TV manufactures are smelling margin like blood in the water. This is something they can do, now, and for a profit. So it's happening, whether it's necessary or not. Instead of improving aspects of the image that need fixing, we get 4K because it's easy to do, easy to sell, and easy to demo. Awesome.

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2014 at 01:03 PM by barrister »

Offline brutalpanda

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 01:16 PM »
okay got it! thanks for the help!
Honest Movie Reviews: