Author Topic: My dream theater  (Read 400152 times)

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: My dream theater - All Focal speaker setup
« Reply #2130 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 07:40 PM »
Kaw nga diyan, sabi mo dadala ka ng pizza sa EB natin. Bakit last week, walang pizza?  ;D ;D

Pizza...? Are you sure? Ang naalala ko sabi ko cheese para sa wine, which hinde rin ako nakapagdala. :P

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2131 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 07:42 PM »
Pizza...? Are you sure? Ang naalala ko sabi ko cheese para sa wine, which hinde rin ako nakapagdala. :P

Oops ... tama ka.  ;D ;D ;D

E kung cheese, dapat small EB lang yun. Tayo-tayo lang. Sige, arrange natin.  ;D ;D ;D
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2132 on: Feb 07, 2011 at 07:45 PM »

kinorek mo pa eh di ka rin pala nakapag dala hahahahahaha
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #2133 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 04:46 PM »
Hi Nelson! High end talaga ang Profile 908 speakers. I was amazed how good they sounded in stereo, without any equalization. When you match them to the rest of the Focals, you create a super-detailed surround experience. It's only now that I can say that I truly appreciate the value of using a full set of speakers from the same family (more or less, hehe) - the blending of the speakers is so good that even with 11 speakers and 4 subs, you can't tell where the sound is coming from. The speakers disappear.

I "feel" you sir Mark.  ;D So what's the current cut-off na for the fronts? Lemme guess, around 60hz?  :D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2134 on: Feb 08, 2011 at 05:25 PM »
I "feel" you sir Mark.  ;D So what's the current cut-off na for the fronts? Lemme guess, around 60hz?  :D

Nope. After my bad experience with "Flight of the Phoenix" and "The Haunting", I have set all crossovers at 80 Hz. Maybe after some time, when I feel more confident, babaan ko crossover.

Actually, theoretically, there should be little difference and in fact, the subs should handle the bass better because there are 4 of them and they are located properly for bass.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2135 on: Feb 09, 2011 at 05:45 PM »
Nope. After my bad experience with "Flight of the Phoenix" and "The Haunting", I have set all crossovers at 80 Hz. Maybe after some time, when I feel more confident, babaan ko crossover.

Let's try those two demos again in the near future! :D

It's alway a great pleasure to be able to visit your HT nirvana. Excellent picture & sound. The Darknight was really good with the helicopter flyover effect, trucks & cars smashing, it's a joy to hear all the details....  :o

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2011 at 05:46 PM by pchin »

Offline babed95

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Re: My dream theater
« Reply #2136 on: Feb 20, 2011 at 04:47 AM »
Eto ang main speakers. PSB Stratus Goldi. These speakers have received a lot of good reviews. Dati, ang ginamit ko as main speakers were the JBL XPL-200, but by experimentation, I found that the PSB speakers are much better, especially when they are paired with the Aragon 8008BB power amp. Namimili talaga ang speakers na ito sa power amp. With the Bryston power amp, walang dating. You just have to learn by trial and error. Generally, the top-of-the-line PSB speakers have excellent sound but they are not efficient. They need a huge power amp to properly drive them.

This is the center speaker. JBL XPL-200. Has 2 titanium drivers. Vintage na ito pero magaling pa rin. As long as you don't stress the speaker, it can last a very long time.

It's hard to over-emphasize how important the center speaker is cuz that's where the dialogue comes from and for movies, if you strain to understand the dialogue, that is such a bummer. Actually, I originally put the 2 JBL XPL-90 speakers as the center. 90 watts each kaya 180 watts total. Sa laki ng kwarto, bumibigay ang speakers kapag malakas ang volume - lalo na ang kanta ni Charlotte Church na "Danny Boy" sa first DVD niya (Voice of an Angel)! Parang mabibiyak niya ang speakers! Kaya pinalitan ko sila with the big JBL XPL-200 and its been okay since then.

Eto ang sub. Velodyne HGS-15. Luma na pero matindi pa rin! 1250 watts. There must be a reason why Velodyne designed these subs to have so much wattage, but even in my huge room, I don't think I have ever used even half of its power. Boomy masyado ang bass kung laksan mo siya.

Update on 10 Sep 2007: I finally got the big Velodyne to clip. At the end of track 2 of the Peter Gabriel DVD, Growing Up. The whole DVD is just full of heavy bass but this was the heaviest of all. Baka 2 seconds lang pero bumigay din si Velodyne. Maybe I should get an 18".  :)

I think that when you have a home theater with as big a volume as mine, iba ang dating ng sound. Parang small auditorium vs. a tight jazz bar with low ceiling. The problem is that in order to play the system loud (which I like to do), you need really big speakers and power amps ... and you get a big electricity bill!

This is a shot of the typical speaker jacks that I use - banana plugs. As much as possible, I use the type wherein the red and black jacks are hooked together, parang twins. The reason is that kung individual ang jacks and for some reason ay natanggal ang isang jack (maybe because of vibration or nabunggo lang), pwede sya mag-short sa kabilang jack, and then putok ang power amp mo. That actually happened to me once.

I am not a great believer in super expensive interconnects or speaker cables. Basta makapal ang cable at maganda ang fit ng jack and better kung gold-plated ang jack, ok na yun.

Insofar as jacks are concerned, this is my best friend, the Electra contact cleaner. The problem with jacks is that over time, kinakalawang and sometimes, they get loose. That is why every few months, I unplug each speaker cable and interconnect, I clean the jacks with a special cloth, I loosen and tighten speaker cables connecting to the jacks and spray the jacks with the contact cleaner. This ensures that you have good tight connections. It's very tedious - maybe 100 jacks - but I nearly always find at least one or two loose connections, which could seriously degrade your sound if not properly tightened. Furthermore, ang tagal na ng system ko and wala ako kalawang sa mga jacks.

if ever me binabalak akong upgrade sa modest ht ko i always revisit your thread sir for inspiration and guidance ksi for me ikaw yun epitome ng standard pagdating sa ht well marami na ngayong magaganda at dedicated talagang ht na nagpopost sa pdvd pro still they are looking for you as the master of ht for guidance and advices well for that i really admire you i hope sana kahit 1/4 lang ng nagawa mo sa ht mo magawa rin namin sa ht namin napaka humble mo pa sir kya pati speaker ko ginaya kita hehehe jbl din sir ang mga speakers ko and it serves me well i think tumatakbo na sa 8 yrs pro ok pa din yan ang quality di ba sir? well sir gudluck sa madami mo pang balakin and thanks sa lahat.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2137 on: Feb 20, 2011 at 06:16 AM »
if ever me binabalak akong upgrade sa modest ht ko i always revisit your thread sir for inspiration and guidance ksi for me ikaw yun epitome ng standard pagdating sa ht well marami na ngayong magaganda at dedicated talagang ht na nagpopost sa pdvd pro still they are looking for you as the master of ht for guidance and advices well for that i really admire you i hope sana kahit 1/4 lang ng nagawa mo sa ht mo magawa rin namin sa ht namin napaka humble mo pa sir kya pati speaker ko ginaya kita hehehe jbl din sir ang mga speakers ko and it serves me well i think tumatakbo na sa 8 yrs pro ok pa din yan ang quality di ba sir? well sir gudluck sa madami mo pang balakin and thanks sa lahat.

Salamat sa post mo. Nagulat nga ako kasi lahat ng nasa pics, di ko na ginagamit. Pati banana plugs at contact cleaner!  ;D ;D

Offline babed95

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2138 on: Feb 20, 2011 at 01:15 PM »
Salamat sa post mo. Nagulat nga ako kasi lahat ng nasa pics, di ko na ginagamit. Pati banana plugs at contact cleaner!  ;D ;D
lam mo naman kami sir yun luma mo bago namin ahahahah! :)

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2139 on: Feb 20, 2011 at 01:48 PM »
ako may na-achieve nang 1/4 sa ht ni sir mark... yung floor area!  ;D
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline blackie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #2140 on: Feb 20, 2011 at 09:10 PM »
ako may na-achieve nang 1/4 sa ht ni sir mark... yung floor area!  ;D

Nice one sir ;)
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline babed95

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2141 on: Feb 21, 2011 at 01:15 PM »
ako siguro isa bka yun carpet ma achieve ko  ;D

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2142 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 12:18 AM »
Sir Mark,

I am eagerly awaiting to see and listen to the FOCAL EXPERIENCE! Got that HT itch again! Thanks!

Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #2143 on: Feb 22, 2011 at 06:04 AM »
Sir Mark,

I am eagerly awaiting to see and listen to the FOCAL EXPERIENCE! Got that HT itch again! Thanks!

I've been there doc!  You'll be blown away!

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #2144 on: Feb 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM »
Sir Mark pati pala sa golf eh parang 11.4 setup pa din  ;) kasi 11 holes lang ang tinapos mo  :) yung back nine namin humanap kami ng maluwag na course kasi ang bagal nung nasa south course we ended up playing our back sa executive course  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2145 on: Feb 25, 2011 at 11:02 AM »
Sir Mark pati pala sa golf eh parang 11.4 setup pa din  ;) kasi 11 holes lang ang tinapos mo  :) yung back nine namin humanap kami ng maluwag na course kasi ang bagal nung nasa south course we ended up playing our back sa executive course  ;D

Hehe. Dapat gayahin mo ako. 6 a.m. ang tee-off.  ;D ;D

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #2146 on: Feb 25, 2011 at 11:09 AM »
ay ikaw pala yun Sir Mark, kasi nung mag tee-off kami mayron na daw na nauna sa amin nasa hole no. 3 na  :) super traffic lang pabalik sa office  :( next week try ko naman twilight para diretso uwi  :) minsan Sir Mark baka yung mga tiga Pdvd puwede din ng EB sa golf course  :)

Offline SETUP™

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2147 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 06:33 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIR MARK!!
B&W Onkyo HiMedia Transparent SvS Modwright Samsung Rega Shunyata Focal Proac Sonus Faber Dynaudio

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2148 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 09:04 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIR MARK!!

woooowwww happy bday sir mark

may God continue to bless you and your family

cheers to good health and more upgrades ;) ;)
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #2149 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 09:28 AM »

Wishing you many happy returns. ;)

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #2150 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 09:54 AM »
Happy Birthday sir Mark!!!!

May you have a blessed birthday and more years and upgrades to come  ;D ;D

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2151 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM »
Happy Birthday Mark !!!
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2152 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 10:39 AM »
To one of the most helpfull and informative posters in pdvd

" HAPPY BIRTHDAY ""

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #2153 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 10:46 AM »
Buti napadaan ako dito.

Sir Mark, sana'y pagpalain kayo ng Panginoon sa iyong kaarawan. Nawa'y gabayan Niya kayo lagi para sa malakas na pangangatawan at kaligtasan.

Mabuhay ka at ang iyong pamilya kasama na ang mga kasanagkapang pang pelikula.  ;)

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #2154 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 11:28 AM »
happy birthday po :)
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #2155 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 11:50 AM »

pulot lang sa internet  ;D
ninjababez online ..

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2156 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 01:53 PM »
Salamat sa lahat sa pagbati niyo! Mabuhay rin kayo! Mabuhay ang Pinoydvd!  :)

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2157 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 02:00 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIR MARK!!!
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Moks007

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bond, James Bond
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2400
« Reply #2158 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 04:45 PM »
Happy birthday sir Mark. Have a good one. Cheers

Offline alvinh

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy your gears. Have fun in your journey.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2159 on: Feb 27, 2011 at 05:06 PM »
Now I wonder what you got for your birthday.  ::)

Happy Birthday Chief!  ;D
Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.