Author Topic: My dream theater  (Read 400142 times)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My dream theater - SIM2 Grand Cinema Mico 50 projector review
« Reply #2910 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 06:33 PM »
Here are the 4 SVS PB-13 Ultras, behind the Focal Utopias:

These SVS Ultras are pretty huge but when they are placed behind the Focal Utopias, they look quite small.

I moved the 2 x Paradigm Servo-15 subs to the back of the room while the 4 SVS subs were in the front. I have long wanted to do this but it's a pretty back-breaking effort so it's been delayed up to now. Placing the 2 subs at the back helps to flatten the frequency response of all the subs combined. This is based on theory, on the readings I took with the Audyssey Pro equipment and by ear as well.

The integration and calibration of the 6 subs together was not that difficult. The 2 subs in the rear act as one and the 4 subs in front act as one. All the individual subs were set at around 66 to 67 db at the main listening position, which provided a summed total of around 75 db. This meant that volume levels were balanced.

The distances of the front and the rear subs are not exactly the same to the main listening position but I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter that much. Given the long wavelengths of the bass frequencies, it seems that slight differences don't matter. This is also the view of many well-respected audio professionals.

My main objective in getting 2 more Ultras was to experience a similar "massage" effect as in the HT of Jazzy Jake. My initial report is that my HT still pales in comparison to Jake's, at least in the massage effect.  ;D

Nonetheless, there's been a massive improvement so maybe, I'm a bit closer now to the "massage" of Gaol and Pchin.  ;D
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
wowowee  :o  :o   :o   :o

ang ganda po sir streetsmart.....
congrats on the quad sub
Love me or hate me.....

Offline mike c

• Trade Count: (+154)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Subwoofer Freak
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
ganda gloss lahat.

(may space pa sa likod ng utopias)  ;D

sir jazzy jake's subs, i believe, are calibrated hot.  aside from the difference in room sizes, perhaps this is the main difference.

puwedeng pa-share/repost ng pic above sir mark?
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2012 at 06:53 PM by mike c »
www.mkcinternational.com
Power Sound Audio

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2913 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 06:53 PM »
Here are the 4 SVS PB-13 Ultras, behind the Focal Utopias:

These SVS Ultras are pretty huge but when they are placed behind the Focal Utopias, they look quite small.

I moved the 2 x Paradigm Servo-15 subs to the back of the room while the 4 SVS subs were in the front. I have long wanted to do this but it's a pretty back-breaking effort so it's been delayed up to now. Placing the 2 subs at the back helps to flatten the frequency response of all the subs combined. This is based on theory, on the readings I took with the Audyssey Pro equipment and by ear as well.

The integration and calibration of the 6 subs together was not that difficult. The 2 subs in the rear act as one and the 4 subs in front act as one. All the individual subs were set at around 66 to 67 db at the main listening position, which provided a summed total of around 75 db. This meant that volume levels were balanced.

The distances of the front and the rear subs are not exactly the same to the main listening position but I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter that much. Given the long wavelengths of the bass frequencies, it seems that slight differences don't matter. This is also the view of many well-respected audio professionals.

My main objective in getting 2 more Ultras was to experience a similar "massage" effect as in the HT of Jazzy Jake. My initial report is that my HT still pales in comparison to Jake's, at least in the massage effect.  ;D

Nonetheless, there's been a massive improvement so maybe, I'm a bit closer now to the "massage" of Gaol and Pchin.  ;D

WOW!!!!!!! THATS A HOME THEATER.......
Walang Setup

Offline Wildfire™

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
congrats sir mark dami nyan ah looks like the bass will be flat all over the room

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
ganda gloss lahat.

(may space pa sa likod ng utopias)  ;D

sir jazzy jake's subs, i believe, are calibrated hot.  aside from the difference in room sizes, perhaps this is the main difference.

puwedeng pa-share/repost ng pic above sir mark?

I don't think Jake's subs are hot. Maliit lang talaga room kaya in theory, for a bigger room, you can get the same effect if you add more subs. E mukhang kulang pa rin.  ;D

No problem to share or repost.

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Ganda and congrats brader.  ;) ;)
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
I don't think Jake's subs are hot. Maliit lang talaga room kaya in theory, for a bigger room, you can get the same effect if you add more subs. E mukhang kulang pa rin.  ;D

No problem to share or repost.

Possible maging OCTO-Sub setup?

Congrats! Indeed a one of a kind HT setup !  O0
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2918 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 07:42 PM »
Here's a better shot of the Sim2 Mico 50 projector:

I've been experimenting a lot with the projector and the pq has improved even more.

Wow!
The best just got betterer !!!!  O0

Looks more like the Bugatti of PJ's !!!
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2012 at 07:51 PM by XXXyzledge »
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline stan1196

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Wow the ultimate ht system :) congrats sir :)
Aiyima Rotel CD11 Tribute Focal Chora 806 QED XT125

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
You never fail to amaze us sir Mark. Your set up is really one of the best not only here in Pdvd but the whole country...

Simply WOW and AMAZING!!! :o

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2012 at 08:17 PM by Louie_18 »

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
AWESOME!!!
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
Nice. Dumating na pala. So how's the Flight of the Phoenix?  :D Na-achieve din ba yun low end extension?

Offline carlo.A

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
This system must sound insane. Gosh

Offline iiinas

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • -> THXed <-
  • Liked:

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Nice. Dumating na pala. So how's the Flight of the Phoenix?  :D Na-achieve din ba yun low end extension?

I'm thinking that mas malalim sya cuz at the same trims as before, mas malakas ang massage effect. That can only come from a deeper frequency response.

It's going to be a challenge to improve the audio even more but I'm sure I will find something. Maybe an overhaul of the acoustic treatment? That could be pretty major so I'm not sure if I'll experiment with that.  ;D

Offline cyber19

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
oh my oh my! quad subs :) boom boom boom :)  congrats sir

Offline dts-HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
whew! 6 subs na hindi pa din masaya si sir mark :o

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
I'm thinking that mas malalim sya cuz at the same trims as before, mas malakas ang massage effect. That can only come from a deeper frequency response.

It's going to be a challenge to improve the audio even more but I'm sure I will find something. Maybe an overhaul of the acoustic treatment? That could be pretty major so I'm not sure if I'll experiment with that.  ;D

Massage effect could also come from higher SPLs din.  :D

Offline meat_eater

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Wow!!!
Bite Hard and SHAKE

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50

anak ng...   >:D

meron pa din?!!?  mid bass perhaps?!!?   >:D

parinig naman sir mark!   ;)
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Massage effect could also come from higher SPLs din.  :D

Not if you start out with the same trim levels and master volume. The subs are calibrated to the same levels as before and so if you set the master volume to the same point as well, a greater massage effect will only be caused by a deeper frequency response.

Offline rhodem24

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Hala. Sobrang ganda. :'(

6 HUGE subs all in all!

Paano po ba i-connect yan sa receiver lahat sir? Hehehe

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:

anak ng...   >:D

meron pa din?!!?  mid bass perhaps?!!?   >:D

parinig naman sir mark!   ;)

Hi Jake! Alam mo naman na ang room mo ay ang aking inspirasyon. Lakas ng massage.  ;D

The mid-bass of my room is very good, primarily because of the Focal Utopias, as well as the numerous bass traps.

My concern with my room treatment is that I sometimes think that it sounds a bit "dead" or over-damped and this causes a narrowing of the soundstage (although this characteristic is reversed by the Audyssey DSX Wide and Height speakers, which widen and deepen the soundstage respectively). When a room is over-treated with absorbers, there are very few reflections. While some people may say that one should always kill reflections, reflections are actually beneficial in expanding the soundstage and reinforcing certain audio frequencies so that the sound appears clearer. Try to sing in open air, where there are no reflections, and your natural ugly voice will be heard. Compare this to singing in the shower where the size of the bathroom is just right to reinforce your squeaky voice and make it sound like Pavarotti. Reflections are also the secret behind the Greek and Roman theaters which allowed the actors to be heard, even without amplification.

Room acoustics often require a lot of experimentation. Given the same treatments, one room may sound much better than another. This is why I'd like to experiment with the acoustics in my room. The trouble is that it's so hard to implement.

All the theater pros that I have talked to agree that the CCP main theater has one of the best acoustics in the Philippines and even in Asia. It's also acknowledged by the architect of CCP that he was "lucky" with the acoustics. It's always a treat to watch a performance at the CCP main theater and I always go away, endeavoring to reproduce that huge sound in my room. Of course, this is a hopeless task but it's a nice aspiration.  :)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Hala. Sobrang ganda. :'(

6 HUGE subs all in all!

Paano po ba i-connect yan sa receiver lahat sir? Hehehe

I used 5 y-connectors and 3 male-to-female adapters. Di naman mahirap. Very simple.

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
bro streetsmart, still using 15hz cutoff on all 4 subs?  di ba newer PB13 ultras have higher than 10hz config, di ka ba nahirapan integrate yung 2 bagong subs?
ninjababez online ..

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Wow! Two more Ultras!!! :o Conrats sir Mark! :)

Sir Mark, have to tried watching Underworld Awakening on your new set-up? Advance to the 60th minute of the film and watch it from there til the end. Rest assured, you will feel the "massage effect" you're looking for. ;)

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
Wow! Two more Ultras!!! :o Conrats sir Mark! :)

Sir Mark, have to tried watching Underworld Awakening on your new set-up? Advance to the 60th minute of the film and watch it from there til the end. Rest assured, you will feel the "massage effect" you're looking for. ;)

I agree Mark. But in my case, it seems like the whole movie is one long massage session!

Congrats! Masayang masaya ang Xmas EB nito!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
Congrats Sir Mark sa bago mong hakot na 2xpb13 ultra!  :D
Nagkasabay po pala kayo ni turbokiller humakot sa Graceland last saturday :)
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2939 on: Sep 24, 2012 at 08:17 AM »
ako na-iimagine ko na eh ;D

bro streetsmart, still using 15hz cutoff on all 4 subs?  di ba newer PB13 ultras have higher than 10hz config, di ka ba nahirapan integrate yung 2 bagong subs?

D ko maintindihan Ito. AFAIK, the old and new subs have the same tuning options - 10, 16, 20 and sealed. I use 16 Hz.