Author Topic: My dream theater  (Read 400089 times)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: My dream theater (X'mas 07 update)
« Reply #180 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 08:03 AM »
Its a great read Mark.   Actually with my current HT, I followed what I read when I was planning for the color of my walls, which is neutral gray.  I just cant find the link now.   Its just not pleasing in the eyes though with the lights on.  Or maybe my design skills are so far off.  Now with the forwarded link, it reinforces the idea that neutral colors should be the norm.  Basta matte.   I have actually chosen burgundy too in my planning, but only with trim or accent color.  Mali rin pala.   I like this part of the article

"Motion imaging industry standards organizations, such as SMPTE, set the rules. Compromises must be weighed against design priorities. If image fidelity is the top priority, room decor must follow imaging science, rather than aesthetic preference. Providing a flat black ceiling in a front projection theater is a good example. Black ceilings are usually not a hot item to interior decorators."

Thats why Alvin's HT is black all over.... :)

Mark, can you pm me where to find the cloth that you mentioned.  Its the one thing na wala pa sa supplier list ko.  It would be a great help in my planning.   Thanks in advance na ah.

Yes, the dreaming part when planning for the HT is so real, hehehe.....ikaw andyan na, kami dreaming pa rin.    :) :)  Merry Xmas sir!!

Marvin, here's another interesting link to pics of an actual all-black HT owned by Gary Murrell, who is one of the very few beta testers used by DVDO. He is very well-respected in AVS Forum. You will notice that he also has a Toshiba HD-A35 and a Panasonic BD-30, as well as a DVDO VP50Pro. He is very happy with the HD and BD players. His all-black HT will not win any award in AVI magazine but I am sure that is not his ambition in life. He is a pure technician. I guess that more normal people like you and I want to make some form of compromise between a bat cave and a really colorful room.

http://www.custom-ht.com/photos/theater/theater.html

A very interesting option is the suggestion in the previous link I posted. It said that you can install gray cloth and then use multi-color LED to change the color of the walls. I think this is what Nemesis does. Also, I really don't think that even your furniture must be all-black. I think that what is critical is the area between your seats and the screen.

Regarding the cloth, the store is in Divisoria. My wife is making a map. Will send that to you.

No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
Re: My dream theater (X'mas 07 upgrade)
« Reply #181 on: Dec 26, 2007 at 01:04 PM »
Sir, congrats on the new upgrades. The black 2808 is so gwapo!

It was a pleasure to listen to your huge HT and thanks for demoing to me the differences of SD & HD. It was such a great revelation to me on whether I shall pursue the format or not.

Iba talaga ma experience HT mo personally , galing!
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2007 at 03:45 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 10:19 AM »
It was a pleasure to listen to your huge HT and thanks for demoing to me the differences of SD & HD. It was such a great revelation to me on whether I shall pursue the format or not.

Hi Matz! I suspect that what made you most happy about the demo between SD (video processed) and HD is that it confirmed your suspicion that the difference in pq is not that huge, provided that the SD DVD is of good quality. This is all the more true if your screen is smaller than 65" diagonal.

I would say, however, that for most people, there will be a big difference in pq because they don't use a high-end video processor or deinterlacer/scaler. In that case, the only problem is the cost of the bala. Mahal nga.

With respect to audio, in my humble opinion, the difference is even more subtle so if your equipment (including your room) cannot reproduce those subtle sounds, you won't notice any difference at all.

Tama ba ako? Value for money!  :)

In my case, I got a bonus sa trabaho and I had a long X'mas leave so I decided to give myself a X'mas present in the form of the HD upgrade.  ;D ;D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
Re: My dream theater (X'mas 07 update)
« Reply #183 on: Dec 27, 2007 at 10:24 AM »
Marvin, here's another interesting link to pics of an actual all-black HT owned by Gary Murrell, who is one of the very few beta testers used by DVDO. He is very well-respected in AVS Forum. You will notice that he also has a Toshiba HD-A35 and a Panasonic BD-30, as well as a DVDO VP50Pro. He is very happy with the HD and BD players. His all-black HT will not win any award in AVI magazine but I am sure that is not his ambition in life. He is a pure technician. I guess that more normal people like you and I want to make some form of compromise between a bat cave and a really colorful room.

http://www.custom-ht.com/photos/theater/theater.html

A very interesting option is the suggestion in the previous link I posted. It said that you can install gray cloth and then use multi-color LED to change the color of the walls. I think this is what Nemesis does. Also, I really don't think that even your furniture must be all-black. I think that what is critical is the area between your seats and the screen.

Regarding the cloth, the store is in Divisoria. My wife is making a map. Will send that to you.

Thats why having some sort of a compromise between function and design is quite difficult to do.   Its a balancing act.   

Regarding the map, cge sir, dont hurry up, diko pa naman kailangan ngayon.  Im just searching for all suppliers muna.   ;D ;D  THanks mark.

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #184 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 04:51 PM »
pardon my ignorance sir mark.

What do you think will be the effect if you let the HD-DVD or BD passed through your video processor? Would the PQ be downgraded?

TIA

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 05:02 PM »
pardon my ignorance sir mark.

What do you think will be the effect if you let the HD-DVD or BD passed through your video processor? Would the PQ be downgraded?

TIA

The HD-DVD and BD are actually passing through the video processor (vp) right now. The vp does the following:

1) Many hi-def discs are actually 1080i and then are deinterlaced by the player. The vp reverses the deinterlacing and then does it again. The reason is that the deinterlacing of the vp is superior to that of the player.

2) The vp makes a slight increase in fine detail enhancement and mosquito noise reduction.

3) The vp makes a slight decrease in edge enhancement.

4) The vp acts as a video hub.

Bottom-line is that the HD and BD images are improved by the VP.

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #186 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 05:41 PM »
The HD-DVD and BD are actually passing through the video processor (vp) right now. The vp does the following:

1) Many hi-def discs are actually 1080i and then are deinterlaced by the player. The vp reverses the deinterlacing and then does it again. The reason is that the deinterlacing of the vp is superior to that of the player.

2) The vp makes a slight increase in fine detail enhancement and mosquito noise reduction.

OK my bad.  :D

Great gears you really have there sir. Thanks a lot for sharing it with us, not just the equipments but also your hands-on knowledge and experience. I really learn a lot reading your post. Hope I could audition in your place someday.   ;D Seeing in person is like a dream come true (literally).  :D
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2008 at 05:42 PM by bachwitz »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Jan 04, 2008 at 05:50 PM »
OK my bad.  :D

Great gears you really have there sir. Thanks a lot for sharing it with us, not just the equipments but also your hands-on knowledge and experience. I really learn a lot reading your post. Hope I could audition in your place someday.   ;D Seeing in person is like a dream come true (literally).  :D

If you want to come over, okay lang. Weekends. Send me a PM.  :)

Offline trackers888

• Collector
  • PDVD Proud Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Jan 07, 2008 at 10:04 PM »

Uy? dagdag kaalaman to Sir Mark! ;D
Mabuhay kayo! ;)
7 Transistor AM Radio

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #189 on: Jan 08, 2008 at 11:02 PM »
Thanks Mark for this afternoon. I really had a great time & a "good eye opener" moment.  ;D

Wish I could spend more time checking out your gorgeous HT system. Phew...what a size & setup!

Now I'm really drooling again...Congrat again Mark. :D
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2008 at 11:04 PM by pchin »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: Jan 09, 2008 at 09:45 AM »
Thanks Mark for this afternoon. I really had a great time & a "good eye opener" moment.  ;D

Wish I could spend more time checking out your gorgeous HT system. Phew...what a size & setup!

Now I'm really drooling again...Congrat again Mark. :D

It would be nice if you could share with us the "eye opener" stuff. An honest view. :)

I liked the discs you brought. You obviously have both good eyes and ears! We should do it again. Anyhow, we are neighbors.

Your visit was a good preparation for the big trip to Alvin's HT this coming Saturday! Alvin has an awesome set-up. Very hard to beat! Inuman pa.  ;D ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Jan 13, 2008 at 07:23 PM »
It would be nice if you could share with us the "eye opener" stuff. An honest view. :)

Mark, your HT is the biggest I've seen so far... the sheer size of the room, wow! :o Very comfortable, with the bar just behind us...any time can grab a drink easily....also there's a CR just near by lang...no sweat at all. Parang like an exclusive club house! ;D

The big screen coupled with your quality gears make it much easier to discern the video quality. Your video procesor DVDO 50 Pro is indeed a worthwhile investment. During our demo scenes SD vs HD, I was hard pressed which is which... :D The only setback I guess it's the screen position which is a bit too high due to your center speaker. :) As for your powerful audio setup, it's nice to hear the details even in such a big HT room. :)

In term of video quality, 5-star!! ;) :D If you're very picky then there's room for improvement for the audio. Probably due to the size of the room as the main speakers distance to the listerner's position will require the sound wave to travel quite far (also some sofas/objects in front). Overall, your setup is very good na. Congrat for a nice & comfortable HT....btw welcome aboard to HD DVD & Blu-ray.  ;D

Gosh, now I'm salivating & will be indeed having lots of HT dreams... :-X

We should do it again. Anyhow, we are neighbors.

O nga...regret I needed to rush off for a meeting. Yes, let's do it again when we are free. I'll bring some beer or wine. ;) Would like to make more comparison btw lossy vs lossless in future esp using DTS-HD MA discs. :)
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2008 at 07:26 PM by pchin »

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 01:11 PM »
The only setback I guess it's the screen position which is a bit too high due to your center speaker. :)

Well, we know the solution for that - another upgrade.  :P

If you're very picky then there's room for improvement for the audio. Probably due to the size of the room as the main speakers distance to the listerner's position will require the sound wave to travel quite far (also some sofas/objects in front).  ;D

Yes, the room set-up is a constraint but I just have to accept that. It's one of those compromises that we all have to make.

But there are a couple of things I can still do to improve the audio, especially now that I have the SMS-1. Still playing with it but it already seems to provide a big improvement for the mid-bass. I will post more in maybe a week or so, after I have done the tweaks.

Thanks for the observations!  :)

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 02:27 PM »
Kinda same observation here w/ Pchin regarding the front, but the spacious room makes the surround effect very discrete & not an "in your face" surround : for an excellent movie-like surround performance!

Great setup sir Mark!

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 03:20 PM »
Kinda same observation here w/ Pchin regarding the front, but the spacious room makes the surround effect very discrete & not an "in your face" surround : for an excellent movie-like surround performance!

Great setup sir Mark!

Actually, if I position myself about 7 feet in front of my main listening position, the audio quality has a huge improvement. But then, I destroy the seating arrangement. Furthermore, maduduling ako kasi far-sighted ako.  ;D

Kaya I just accept what I have. Thanks din sa comments mo.  :)

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 03:34 PM »
But there are a couple of things I can still do to improve the audio, especially now that I have the SMS-1. Still playing with it but it already seems to provide a big improvement for the mid-bass. I will post more in maybe a week or so, after I have done the tweaks.

Alright Mark, will be waiting for your feedback after your playing & tweaking with the new gear.  ;)

Maybe we can have an EB at your place this time? ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 04:17 PM »
Alright Mark, will be waiting for your feedback after your playing & tweaking with the new gear.  ;)

Maybe we can have an EB at your place this time? ;D

Hehe. Sure! As long as you organize it.  ;D

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 07:19 PM »
Hehe. Sure! As long as you organize it.  ;D

Not a problem...I knew you'd say that. I already have 5 members in my list na...guess we'll need at least 20 people to fit in? LOL  :D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 09:47 PM »
Not a problem...I knew you'd say that. I already have 5 members in my list na...guess we'll need at least 20 people to fit in? LOL  :D

8 people will be very comfortable. Very sophisticated and technical discussion.  :)

14 will be comfortable. A little more noisy and drunk but still quite focused on HT.  :)

20 will fit for sure but ... we will need some female members to join and then convert it to a karaoke night.  ;D ;D

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #199 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 09:57 PM »
Okay, count me in if you reach 20.  :D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 10:04 PM »
karaoke night.....count me in.....with the extra features of course... ;D ;D

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 10:13 PM »
we will need some female members to join and then convert it to a karaoke night.

Hmmmmm . . . . . . . . . .  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 10:44 PM »

Dami ko naisip na masamang post na sagot pero wag.  ;D ;D

Mabait na lang ako .. Of course you can join kahit 20 na. Dala ka lang ng Bacolod lechon de leche.  ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: Jan 14, 2008 at 10:51 PM »
karaoke night.....count me in.....with the extra features of course... ;D ;D

Parang may double meaning ang sinasabi nito ... Bad talaga ..  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 10:58 AM »
Wow, awesome gear bro!  Thanks Paul for pointing me to this thread as well. Haven't seen any high-end gear personally so I would consider it a great opportunity to partake in your gathering.  Will bring the booze - JW Black labels for the broncos and Bailey's Liqueur for the women  ;)  ... wait there would be women right?  ;D lol

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 11:14 AM »
Wow, awesome gear bro!  Thanks Paul for pointing me to this thread as well. Haven't seen any high-end gear personally so I would consider it a great opportunity to partake in your gathering.  Will bring the booze - JW Black labels for the broncos and Bailey's Liqueur for the women  ;)  ... wait there would be women right?  ;D lol

Will you bring your wife?  ;D ;D

Actually, bahala si Paul sa invites.  :)

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #206 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 11:21 AM »
Parang may double meaning ang sinasabi nito ... Bad talaga ..  ;D ;D ;D

Good boy yang si marv, actually halos lahat ng addicts sa HT naging good boy na kasi instead of girls eh gears na lang kinocollect ::) ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 11:48 AM »

Good boy yang si marv, actually halos lahat ng addicts sa HT naging good boy na kasi instead of girls eh gears na lang kinocollect ::) ;D

Tama ka dun. Mas mura pa.  ;D

Pero ang sinasabi ko rin ay wala naman ako swimming pool. Wala ako Benz o Beemer. Wala ako million-peso dog. Mas maganda talaga HT compared to those other toys.

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 04:21 PM »
Will you bring your wife?  ;D ;D

All wives/girlfriends are very welcome tama ba? :P

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Jan 16, 2008 at 04:27 PM »
All wives/girlfriends are very welcome tama ba? :P

They will get bored. Unless we have a "Desperate Housewives" DVD.  ;D