Author Topic: Philips Full HD 1080p lcd  (Read 16165 times)

Offline LETOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Philips Full HD 1080p lcd
« Reply #60 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 09:32 PM »
Am back to monitoring. They introduced a new software upgrade, practically straight from their R&D team in their Singapore HQ.  The flicker again dissipated - but our agreement is to again monitor if this new 'experimental' software patch holds.  Meantime, it seems to be working fine.  Once we get solid confirmation of its effectiveness, Philips may roll-out the new software to other customers if they deem it's needed. Let's keep our fingers crossed  ;)

By the way, how do they perform the software upgrade on your tv? Any gadgets or pc used to do the upgrading? Thanks for any info...

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #61 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 10:06 PM »
In the higher panel models of philips (like the cineos line I think), they have usb slots at the back.  With my current panel, that's not the case so they hooked something up at the back and jacked it up to their PC to upload the file.  Sorry, ain't sure where they connected it precisely, didn't bother staying with them as they tinkered with the machine, I just told them the output I wanted.  It may be a trade secret or something, just like when they punch in their private codes in the remote to bring out the hidden specs of the panel (it's like the bios page of your pc) or lamp life in some cases.  As much as I am tempted to glimpse at the numbers they're punching in, I just choose not to do so, that's their trade secret, wouldn't want to impinge.  ;)  Ang pinaka-importante naman sa akin is that they get the unit running properly, the 'how' part is up to them.

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Feb 06, 2008 at 10:09 PM »
okay..thanks...

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 01:35 PM »
Marl, Philips Customer Service (Ding and Nick of AVS) checkup my LCD TV last Monday (02/11/08).

My TV has an updated firmware version 2.03. Yours (daw) is an older version. The flicker i mentioned is a normal operation of the TV according to them, which was really not prominant when they adjusted my settings (contrast, Brightness and color), The video laddering (they showed me a video of yours) is non existence on my set.

Anyway, I want to thank you also for the information and help you extended to us.

Ding, told me to inform other members to get in touch with PHILIPS , so they could check also on their LCD TV. 

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Feb 13, 2008 at 08:59 PM »
PHILIPS should post on their website the model and serial numbers of the LCD units that needs firmware update. I think they have the data base in their headquarters where that specific units were shipped with their corresponding serial numbers. 

I would like to cite Canon which posted an advisory in their website informing those who purchased a particular product and model that were found to have defective CCD sensors. They replaced the sensors without charge.

Hoping PHILIPS will do this too so that owners would be aware that the model with corresponding serial numbers or date manufactured still have the old firmware and needs to be updated.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 12:20 AM »
Marl, Philips Customer Service (Ding and Nick of AVS) checkup my LCD TV last Monday (02/11/08).

My TV has an updated firmware version 2.03. Yours (daw) is an older version. The flicker i mentioned is a normal operation of the TV according to them, which was really not prominant when they adjusted my settings (contrast, Brightness and color), The video laddering (they showed me a video of yours) is non existence on my set.

Anyway, I want to thank you also for the information and help you extended to us.

Ding, told me to inform other members to get in touch with PHILIPS , so they could check also on their LCD TV. 

Hi bro, good to hear your set's back to good working condition.  Yes, i had the lower FW version ng raw, which was primarily the culprit. Anyway,  I feel good that your issues have been resolved, glad to be of help buddy.  And yes, Ding has provided quite an assistance as well - thanks to him, mejo nabuhayan ng konti yung kumpiyansa ko sa Philips.  ;) 

Btw, have you seen their new perfect pixel HD engine at work in their Cineos models?  wow!!! It's like the 1st gen Pixel Plus, really groundbreaking, parang naka videocam yung linaw and things seem like 3D.  Well, that's probably something to look forward to if ever we upgrade again.  ;D

Till next time, keep in touch bro - cheers!  ;)

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Feb 14, 2008 at 11:40 AM »
Sir Marl, the 42PFL9532/98 when i was scouting for an LCD TV was side by side with a bravia then, I was amazed with its solid black and white. At saka yong contrast niya. This is one unit a video/audio buff should consider before buying a bravia or a sharp.

Kaya lang wala sa budget ko (cannot afford it). If ever kasi i should have considered a bravia or a sharp. 

Anyway, see you on other threads, thanks

Offline css

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 12:13 AM »
sfccc, is there a way to check if the firmware that is installed in our unit an updated version (2.03) o sila lang makaka check nito? also can you post philips contact #?

thanks to you and marl1 for your help and valuable information.

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Feb 15, 2008 at 09:31 AM »
sfccc, is there a way to check if the firmware that is installed in our unit an updated version (2.03) o sila lang makaka check nito? also can you post philips contact #?

css, Sir they have codes to access ung firmware version using the remote control and has a gadget/modem for attachment (exclusive sa philips LCD TV) sa tv to update the software. I didnt bother to ask the access code, pero what i saw as marl has already mentioned in this thread a bios like format on a computer motherboard.

Sir, REVIEW THE THREAD, MARL HAS POSTED the contact person (Ding Celestial) and contact #.

Iam sure Ding will accomodate your request to check your TV.

NOTE: call or txt him on his cel # 09172423218

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 09:01 PM »
Sir Marl, kamusta na yung LCD mo? Okay na ba talaga? Hindi na bumalik ang problem? I also wrote Philips customer service inquiring about the firmware or software upgrade. They cited case of the 37PFL7422/79 model. Here's what they said to me:

"Firmware or Software upgrading is applicable only for 37PFL7422/79 if the sets were produce before month of August 2007. This model was release in Philippine market on 4th week of September 2007 and the software version installed for this model is the latest software version"

Mine is 42PFL7422/79. I also contacted Ding Celestial and text to him the serial number of the unit. He said my unit based on the SN# was manufactured sometime in November 2007 and probably the software installed was already the latest version.  Medyo lumuwag ung feeling ko hehehe...pero sabi nya we can check your unit to be sure...if I want. 

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Feb 21, 2008 at 11:25 PM »
Sir Marl, kamusta na yung LCD mo? Okay na ba talaga? Hindi na bumalik ang problem? I also wrote Philips customer service inquiring about the firmware or software upgrade. They cited case of the 37PFL7422/79 model. Here's what they said to me:

"Firmware or Software upgrading is applicable only for 37PFL7422/79 if the sets were produce before month of August 2007. This model was release in Philippine market on 4th week of September 2007 and the software version installed for this model is the latest software version"

Mine is 42PFL7422/79. I also contacted Ding Celestial and text to him the serial number of the unit. He said my unit based on the SN# was manufactured sometime in November 2007 and probably the software installed was already the latest version.  Medyo lumuwag ung feeling ko hehehe...pero sabi nya we can check your unit to be sure...if I want. 

Hi bro, so far everything's steady and cool.  ;)  Mukhang nakuha nga sa firmware upgrade, I believe bro sfccc experienced the same solution.  Ding's cool, you can have him check your unit if you prefer actually - accommodating naman yung mama.  However, if you don't see any of the symptoms we've posted above, then you can take refuge in Ding's confirmation that your unit's batch is fine.  Hassle din kasi actually mag-pa-check at mag-intay ng service personnel - I actually had to take a leave from work just for their inspection of the unit.  Your call  ;)

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 10:33 AM »
Marl, just want to find out setting of your 37pfl7422. Ill try it with mine. If you dont mind. for (TV, HDMI, CVI)

mga bro, baka gusto ninyo share setting nang philips 37pfl7422 paki post naman. 

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 10:45 AM »
Marl, just want to find out setting of your 37pfl7422. Ill try it with mine. If you dont mind. for (TV, HDMI, CVI)

Hi bro, I haven't calibrated my display yet.  I didn't see the Philips technicians do anything scientific as well, they just played around with the picture settings (visual feel lang).  I have Avia Calibration discs but haven't tried it on the panel as well.  Am waiting for my Spyder Calibration mechanism from Amazon which should do a better, more scientific job on the pic settings.  Lemme do that first then will forward you my pic specs.  Keep in touch.  ;)

« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2008 at 10:47 AM by marl1 »

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 09:51 PM »
I'm new here po.

anyway, na alarm lang ako kasi i just bought (Jan 18) this model - 37PFL7422 
and haven't tried watching dvd from this unit. medyo busy kasi. 2 kids ko lang ang laging nanonood ng cable (cartoons). what i noticed is pag ni plug ko yung unit is nag spark sya lagi. is this normal?
i will also try watching dvd and see kung ganito din yung unit ko. will give feedback after weekend. Thanks...

NO.. its not normal. Basta fully off yung TV mo walang spark dapat.

Did you use the multi-plug adaptor na dala sa unit to convert 3-pronged into 2 pronged plug? If so, that adaptor is the culprit. I have tried it several times at na experienced ko umosok pa nga dahil ang ground terminal sa loob ng adaptor kung nakasaksak ung 3 pronged power cord nagcause ng spark with the hot leads. Nag cause pa nga ito ng pag trip off ng breaker sa panel box sa bahay. Buti na lang hind na busted ang fuse ng automatic voltage regulator na sinaksakan ko. Ang ginawa ko dyan pinalitan ng ibang klaseng adaptor (straight 3 to 2 conversion type) at itinapon yung free adaptor kasi I almost got an electric shock with that one. Palpak ata yung free adaptor.  

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2008 at 07:53 AM by LETOR »

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Feb 23, 2008 at 09:57 PM »

css, PM me 'll give u tip how to check the version.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2008 at 07:54 AM by LETOR »

Offline fdlirio

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Mar 15, 2008 at 11:17 PM »

not sure if its related, but check out Philips PFL7422D/7432D Calibration Thread link http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=895095. It might help.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Mar 28, 2008 at 03:49 PM »
Bro sfccc,

Since my faith in Philips was renewed, I decided to upgrade to the 42" Cineos Full HD Perfect Pixel HD.  The panel is plain awesome!  Arguably one of the best panels in the market right now.  Perfect Pixel (the one which replaces Pixel Plus technology), really makes the images jump out and feel like 3D.

This unit used to sell at P230k+ but recently prices were slashed by around 20%, so grabbed the opportunity and I now feel it's definitely worth the investment.  Check it out bro, cause you may eventually upgrade as well once you see the distinct clarity of this Cineos model.

AND after I plugged it in I never experienced the initial problems I had with my original 37PFL7422.  Worth the look bro...

Cheers!

Flat TV 42" 42PFL9532/98
with Perfect Pixel HD and Ambilight 2 channel

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Mar 29, 2008 at 09:15 AM »
Sir Marl

Yes, I have seen one at the malls. It's a 3D when i saw it they were playing braveheart (Mel Gibson) the mountains seem to be at the backgound. What more if you watch an animated movie with a bluray or HD format. Wow, that would my day.  Though i would like to trade my 37 pfl7422 with it,  i Cannot afford it.

Compared to a sony or a sharp at the same price range personally will consider to buy the cineos. I have read some reviews of it and also a site (forgot) where you could read opinions and settings of the TV.

Anyway,  Ding and Nick of AVS had another upgrade on my TV's software, it improve the dark scene transition and somewhat improve the resolution.
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2008 at 09:28 AM by sfccc »

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #78 on: Mar 29, 2008 at 07:44 PM »
Bro sfccc,

Since my faith in Philips was renewed, I decided to upgrade to the 42" Cineos Full HD Perfect Pixel HD.  The panel is plain awesome!  Arguably one of the best panels in the market right now.  Perfect Pixel (the one which replaces Pixel Plus technology), really makes the images jump out and feel like 3D.

This unit used to sell at P230k+ but recently prices were slashed by around 20%, so grabbed the opportunity and I now feel it's definitely worth the investment.  Check it out bro, cause you may eventually upgrade as well once you see the distinct clarity of this Cineos model.

AND after I plugged it in I never experienced the initial problems I had with my original 37PFL7422.  Worth the look bro...

Cheers!

Flat TV 42" 42PFL9532/98
with Perfect Pixel HD and Ambilight 2 channel

congrats bro, ang ganda nga ng pic quality nito at palit-palit pa kulay ng ambilight to match the video color.
just saw this unit this afternoon here in bangkok.

the 42" selling only for 99,000 baht with free htib (model hts-3357) and the 47" for 129k baht. less 10k baht without the htib.
1 usd = 31.5 baht or 1 baht = 1.33 pesos sa current exchange rate

here's their promo taken from the brochure (sorry labo pic dahil cheapo phone cam gamit)
eto ang 42" and 47"

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2008 at 07:48 PM by GneW »

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Mar 29, 2008 at 08:56 PM »
Sir Marl

Yes, I have seen one at the malls. It's a 3D when i saw it they were playing braveheart (Mel Gibson) the mountains seem to be at the backgound. What more if you watch an animated movie with a bluray or HD format. Wow, that would my day.  Though i would like to trade my 37 pfl7422 with it,  i Cannot afford it.

Compared to a sony or a sharp at the same price range personally will consider to buy the cineos. I have read some reviews of it and also a site (forgot) where you could read opinions and settings of the TV.

Anyway,  Ding and Nick of AVS had another upgrade on my TV's software, it improve the dark scene transition and somewhat improve the resolution.

Hi bro, konting ipon lang yan. Am sure prices will continually drop.  Ey so Ding is still extending his full after-sales support - you gotta love the guy.  Glad there is a perceived improvement in your display via the new software.  Keep us posted.

Cheers buddy!  ;)

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Mar 29, 2008 at 09:03 PM »
congrats bro, ang ganda nga ng pic quality nito at palit-palit pa kulay ng ambilight to match the video color.
just saw this unit this afternoon here in bangkok.

the 42" selling only for 99,000 baht with free htib (model hts-3357) and the 47" for 129k baht. less 10k baht without the htib.
1 usd = 31.5 baht or 1 baht = 1.33 pesos sa current exchange rate

Hi GneW, ganda na ang offer na yan sir. Without the HTIB, it's definitely cheaper vs. the prices here. Can you believe this unit was selling at P230K++ last Xmas, now down to around P180K.  AND 42" lang ang max size of this Perfect Pixel model here (at least when I went around the last time).  After seeing the performance, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 47-incher.  Ganda talaga bro, sana you can figure out a way to buy it there and ship it here cost effectively.  ;)  You based there or are you on vacation only?

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Mar 30, 2008 at 09:42 AM »
Sir marl-1,

Haven't you experienced the flicker again after the software upgrade of your 37PFL7422? I noticed that flicker happens when there's a sudden change in display from bright to dark or vice versa. One specific example is the end credits in the movie. If the letters (ex. white color) on the screen turns on and off as the name changes,  the LCD screen backing lights also turns on and off which cause the flicker.  You  may try this if you have the movie The Last Samurai. Go directly to the end credits and check if this still happen on your old and new LCD screens. If it doesnt exist anymore then probably the new model has lots of improvement on the software than the previous series.

I also have a 32" Samsung LCD but I does'nt behave this way.

Can this be corrected by Philips?

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #82 on: Mar 30, 2008 at 01:19 PM »
Hi GneW, ganda na ang offer na yan sir. Without the HTIB, it's definitely cheaper vs. the prices here. Can you believe this unit was selling at P230K++ last Xmas, now down to around P180K.  AND 42" lang ang max size of this Perfect Pixel model here (at least when I went around the last time).  After seeing the performance, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 47-incher.  Ganda talaga bro, sana you can figure out a way to buy it there and ship it here cost effectively.  ;)  You based there or are you on vacation only?

that's right sir marl1, mura talaga dito. imagine the price of the 42" dyan (180k) is even higher than the price of the 47"+ htib (173k) here. napansin ko dito mura ang mga lcd na made in thailand like the bravia 46" W series only at 95k baht. but the panasonic 42pv70 and samsung lcd's are about the same lang sa atin siguro kasi import din nila.

my work commutes in and out of thailand every month pero takot akong mag pa ship. in fact wala pa akong nakitang mga door-to-door services dito na mga pinoys like the ones in singapore or sa US.

Offline sfccc

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Apr 01, 2008 at 09:14 AM »
Sir marl-1,

Haven't you experienced the flicker again after the software upgrade of your 37PFL7422? I noticed that flicker happens when there's a sudden change in display from bright to dark or vice versa. One specific example is the end credits in the movie. If the letters (ex. white color) on the screen turns on and off as the name changes,  the LCD screen backing lights also turns on and off which cause the flicker.  You  may try this if you have the movie The Last Samurai. Go directly to the end credits and check if this still happen on your old and new LCD screens. If it doesnt exist anymore then probably the new model has lots of improvement on the software than the previous series.

a newer software update corrected the problem (for backlight control). Get in touch with Ding of Philips they will be glad to update your LCD software.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Apr 01, 2008 at 12:38 PM »
Sir marl-1,

Hi LETOR,

sfccc is correct, this may be resolved by a software upgrade - we both experienced the same problem (backtrack a couple of pages on this thread where I used the big RED fonts  :D )   

Backlighting is the major issue, takes time for it to adjust to stark differences in black/white transitions.  Best you jut get the contact no. of Ding Celestial of Philips as mentioned.  I posted his contact numbers in the previous pages of this thread for your reference.

Good luck bud!  ;)

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Apr 01, 2008 at 12:56 PM »
Sir marl-1/sfccc, actually my unit is not 37PFL7422. Its 42PFL7422/79 and has already an existing software of ver 2.03.  Was there a higher version? Based on the previous thread 2.03 version is so far the latest.

My other question is if this behaviour doesn't exist anymore on your new cineo 42PFL9532/98 with Perfect Pixel HD? Have you tried playing the The Last Samurai's last chapter "End Credits" where names are on and off. The flicker is noticeable on this part.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 04:31 PM »
Sir marl-1/sfccc, actually my unit is not 37PFL7422. Its 42PFL7422/79 and has already an existing software of ver 2.03.  Was there a higher version? Based on the previous thread 2.03 version is so far the latest.

My other question is if this behaviour doesn't exist anymore on your new cineo 42PFL9532/98 with Perfect Pixel HD? Have you tried playing the The Last Samurai's last chapter "End Credits" where names are on and off. The flicker is noticeable on this part.

On the Cineos, the "contrast flicker issue" was the very first thing I inspected to make sure it's solid.  I also have two titles I use as benchmark (i.e. transformers, premonition front credits portion) where the flicker normally comes out.

Affirmative - there is NO issue on the Cineos.  Tama yung "perfect" pixel tech na ginamit nila... close to PERFECT talaga yung panel.   ;)

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Apr 03, 2008 at 06:46 PM »
On the Cineos, the "contrast flicker issue" was the very first thing I inspected to make sure it's solid.  I also have two titles I use as benchmark (i.e. transformers, premonition front credits portion) where the flicker normally comes out.

Affirmative - there is NO issue on the Cineos.  Tama yung "perfect" pixel tech na ginamit nila... close to PERFECT talaga yung panel.   ;)

Wow..that's good to hear that. Thanks for the info.

Offline Marl☆1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Apr 09, 2008 at 11:41 AM »
Wow..that's good to hear that. Thanks for the info.

No worries bud.  Let us know when you upgrade  ;)

Offline LETOR

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Apr 12, 2008 at 03:42 PM »
No worries bud.  Let us know when you upgrade  ;)

Wahahaha....easy to say but hard on the pocket..... :o