Author Topic: Building a dedicated Home Theater  (Read 48360 times)

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Building a dedicated Home Theater
« on: Jan 28, 2008 at 07:27 PM »
On the prodding of Munskie and Pchin, I am starting this thread for people to share their tips on building a dedicated home theater.

Let me start this off with an issue that has been bugging me. Usually, the first question is "how many square meters?" Maybe 20, 25 ???

I would do it the other way around with the specs of the minimum that I would want:

1) Projector with a minimum 90" diagonal screen (there are minimum throw distances)
2) Seats should be at least 4 feet away from the rear wall, for acoustic purposes (particularly bass)
3) Hindi ka maduduling (there are specs for this)
4) Acoustic treatment within the walls that would be about 6" for each wall

Given these specs, what is the minimum distance from the screen to your main viewing/listenig position? What would be the minimum room dimensions?
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
Re: Building a dedicated Home Theater
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 07:54 PM »
Another note, dont forget the ideal HT dimensions for acoustics purposes.   After searching the internet, this is what I found:

Height Width Length
1.  1       1.28    1.54
2.  1       1.26    1.59
3.  1       1.6      2.33
4.  1       1.4      1.9

Meaning, it all starts with the height of the room.  Say for example, you have a ceiling of 9ft, if I use the 3rd ratio, the ideal width and length of the room should be 14.4ft and 20.97ft respectively.  It doesnt mean though you should always start with the height.  Alvinthx2 uses the 3rd ratio.  Im planning to use the 3rd one too.

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 08:03 PM »
Yes, the room ratios are really important. But I would guess that the length is initially more important than the height kasi kung malapit masyado, maduduling ka or kung malapit sa rear wall, may boominess ang bass.

That's why my theory is that you can get the width and height after you get the length.

I would also like to know if people agree with the bare minimum specifications that I listed down, at least for computing the length of the room.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 08:06 PM »

Given these specs, what is the minimum distance from the screen to your main viewing/listenig position? What would be the minimum room dimensions?
I have also read somewhere in avsforum that the ratio for this is 1.4, meaning if you have a 90 inch diagonal screen, the minimum distance of the sweet spot is 90 x 1.4 = 126 inches or 10.5 ft.  This ratio though is for 1080p viewing,  meaning you have to move further back for 720p and 480p. 

Regarding the height of the screen, the lower 1/3 of the screen should be at the eye level of the viewer. 

Remember though, these are only suggestions.   Just like in theaters, each has its own preferred sweet spot for viewing.

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 08:09 PM »
Interesting thread streetsmart  ;)

Speaking of projector screen, what's the best recommended screen size for a 20sqm room?
Any special formula pa?

Another note, dont forget the ideal HT dimensions for acoustics purposes.   After searching the internet, this is what I found:

Height Width Length
1.  1       1.28    1.54
2.  1       1.26    1.59
3.  1       1.6      2.33
4.  1       1.4      1.9

Nice info Munskie. :) Based on the above options, is there a certain criteria or condition of which option to follow? e.g. below a certain room size it's better to choose option 3, etc...Or it is entirely up to the owner to choose whichever ratio that suits his available room space?
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2008 at 08:10 PM by pchin »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 08:11 PM »
Yes, the room ratios are really important. But I would guess that the length is initially more important than the height kasi kung malapit masyado, maduduling ka or kung malapit sa rear wall, may boominess ang bass.

That's why my theory is that you can get the width and height after you get the length.

I would also like to know if people agree with the bare minimum specifications that I listed down, at least for computing the length of the room.
yes, I agree.  You dont have to start with height.   Length is quite important especially if you are planning to have 7.1 system.  The key, is to follow as much as possible the room ratios.   Para di mahirap i calibrate, at para di rin mahirap yung acoustic treatment.   

Again, these are only suggestions.   ;)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 08:14 PM »

Nice info Munskie. :) Based on the above options, is there a certain criteria or condition of which option to follow? e.g. below a certain room size it's better to choose option 3, etc...Or it is entirely up to the owner to choose whichever ratio that suits his available room space?
all ratios are good.  depends on the owner.  that way, the owner will have lots of options on a current location, or on something he will build from the ground up.  :)

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 08:24 PM »
Interesting thread streetsmart  ;)

Speaking of projector screen, what's the best recommended screen size for a 20sqm room?
Any special formula pa?

yup, there are formulas  (diko na lang masource out).  Some are really complicated.  Its not easy to recommend that coz factors include

1.  number of rows/use of risers
2.  what source will you be using HD/SD
3.  so forth and so on...

My gosh, even the projector placement has a formula.  Ive read that it should be placed wherein it would project the ideal light...measured in foot lamberts ba yun?

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 08:34 PM »
My gosh, even the projector placement has a formula.  Ive read that it should be placed wherein it would project the ideal light...measured in foot lamberts ba yun?

Thanks Marvin. Gosh...o nga...there's a formula for almost everthing eh. ;D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 08:51 PM »
 Nice info marv but I guess its quite challenging to implement esp if on a budget :-[ .

If im to build an ht from scratch I'll start off with the number of SEATS and SIZE OF EACH SEAT/SOFA I would like to have. Totals seats divided by how many rows you want so you can use the ratios given to get the size of the actual room.

Let say for example I want an 8 seater room, with each seat measuring 2ft x 2ft ;D  most practical array is 4seats by 2 rows. For a  min 96in diagonal screen you need to be atleast twice the width of the screen for optimal viewing, so first row should be around 13ft away fom the screen. Second row must be atleast 2ft away from 1st row and atleast 3ft away from back wall for ease of seating ;D For that arrangement you'll get a Length of 22ft. (provided you be using 2ft depth seats, min 2ft clearance between rows and min 3ft space from last row to back wall;which i feel is a little cramped for my size ;D ;D). Using the 3rd ratio, You need to have a room size of L=22ft, W=15.1ft and H=9.44ft :o this is around 31sqm(bigger than most studio units of new condos).Plus with this room size you would need to use a min of 2.5hp aircon to cool ;D And incase you want MORE/BIGGER SEATS,BIGGER SCREEN AND SPACE AROUND SEATS the room size will get bigger pa  ;D Grabe talaga itong hobby natin :o  Sana pwedeng upo na lang sa sahig bisita or monoblock stools na lang ;D ;D ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:03 PM »
Nice info marv but I guess its quite challenging to implement esp if on a budget :-[ .

If im to build an ht from scratch I'll start off with the number of SEATS and SIZE OF EACH SEAT/SOFA I would like to have. Totals seats divided by how many rows you want so you can use the ratios given to get the size of the actual room.

Let say for example I want an 8 seater room, with each seat measuring 2ft x 2ft ;D  most practical array is 4seats by 2 rows. For a  min 96in diagonal screen you need to be atleast twice the width of the screen for optimal viewing, so first row should be around 13ft away fom the screen. Second row must be atleast 2ft away from 1st row and atleast 3ft away from back wall for ease of seating ;D For that arrangement you'll get a Length of 22ft. (provided you be using 2ft depth seats, min 2ft clearance between rows and min 3ft space from last row to back wall;which i feel is a little cramped for my size ;D ;D). Using the 3rd ratio, You need to have a room size of L=22ft, W=15.1ft and H=9.44ft :o this is around 31sqm(bigger than most studio units of new condos).Plus with this room size you would need to use a min of 2.5hp aircon to cool ;D And incase you want MORE/BIGGER SEATS,BIGGER SCREEN AND SPACE AROUND SEATS the room size will get bigger pa  ;D Grabe talaga itong hobby natin :o  Sana pwedeng upo na lang sa sahig bisita or monoblock stools na lang ;D ;D ;D
  nice sample ricky.   kakatakot di ba?  especially if you plan to DIY the planning.   its really overwhelming yung mga factors to decide on.  and the budget too!!! but its a challenge.

There you have it paul, the size of the room, and the screen size too will depend on how many people you want to sit in yout HT, and in what configuration.  Configuration means how many rows and what type of seating.   Recliners will mean more space in between rows.   Theater seats will mean less space between rows.   

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:10 PM »
Gosh...just getting the right size of the HT room is already complicated enough & many factors have to consider...(not to mention marami sakit ulo?) I want to put up a 96" screen but judging from Ricky's computation don't think it can fit into a small 20 sqm HT... :-\

Can you guys recommend a good & affordable HT consultant or custom installer...this will solve all my headaches...monoblock stools na lang? This Ricky talaga... ;D

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:17 PM by pchin »

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:12 PM »
Pare hindi ako ang natatakot kung hindi si ryan ;D ;D ;D Sya kasi ang gagastos, gusto nya budgeted yung room para makabili sya ng additional gears(additional power amp and surround speakers) ;D ;D ;D And besides tapos na yung room,treatments na lang yung kulang ;) problem is nasacrifice yung ratio, L=19.33ft,W=10.7ft(13.3ft dapat) and H=8ft lang(8.3ft dapat) so lalabas 2rows of 2seats lang ;)  

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:15 PM »
Gosh...just getting the right size of the HT room is already complicated enough & many factors have to consider...(not to mention marami sakit ulo?) I want to put up a 96" screen but judging from Ricky's computation don't think it can fit into a amall 20 sqm... :-\

Can you guys recommend a good & affordable HT consultant or custom installer...this will solve all my headaches...monoblock stools na lang? This Ricky talaga... ;D

Paul after I've finish with ryan's(spenz) room ill let you see it(in masbate ;D) If you like it then ill highly recommend myself ;D ;D ;D

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 09:18 PM »
Pare hindi ako ang natatakot kung hindi si ryan ;D ;D ;D Sya kasi ang gagastos, gusto nya budgeted yung room para makabili sya ng additional gears(additional power amp and surround speakers) ;D ;D ;D And besides tapos na yung room,treatments na lang yung kulang ;) problem is nasacrifice yung ratio, L=19.33ft,W=10.7ft(13.3ft dapat) and H=8ft lang(8.3ft dapat) so lalabas 2rows of 2seats lang ;) 

ok lang cguro kung malapit lang sa ideal ratio like the difference in Height...although I dont know how to comment on the width, napalayo sya.   Maybe acoustics guru like alvin can comment on what will happen kapag ganun.   

ako rin, monoblocks are a must kapag meron Pacquiao fight........ ;D ;D madalang lang naman.   80-90% of the time, kami lang ni misis nanonood. 

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2008 at 10:37 PM »
sa home theater seats meron din 2 seater pang low budget 12k & 14k. same seats na nakikita sa mga magandang sinehan.saw it in alabang filinvest,dun sa store selling projector.
sa may budget meron lazy boy 1 seater 19k rocking/recliner, meron din 33k leather seats, maganda kasi mechanism ng lazy boy.& yung warranty nila.
saw it in our home MOA.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2008 at 07:14 PM by sanmig_ph »
He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 07:12 AM »
ok lang cguro kung malapit lang sa ideal ratio like the difference in Height...although I dont know how to comment on the width, napalayo sya.   Maybe acoustics guru like alvin can comment on what will happen kapag ganun.   

ako rin, monoblocks are a must kapag meron Pacquiao fight........ ;D ;D madalang lang naman.   80-90% of the time, kami lang ni misis nanonood. 

When you "violate" the ideal ratio, your room may have severe peaks and dips in some frequencies. The problem is when the standing waves in one dimension are a multiple of those in another dimension. There is a spreadsheet which does a good calculation of this. Hanapin ko.

Akala ko naman, yung "monoblock" ay yung single-channel super-duper power amp. Yumpala, "monobloc" na plastic chair.  ;D ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 07:14 AM »
Paul after I've finish with ryan's(spenz) room ill let you see it(in masbate ;D) If you like it then ill highly recommend myself ;D ;D ;D

ricky, curious ako ... ano kulay ng walls, ceiling and floor ng HT ni spenz?

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 07:48 AM »
Again....the topic of choice of colors in walls and ceilings is a balancing act in function and design, especially in front projection systems.   In avsforum, you can notice that most use a black front wall surrounding the screen.   And the suggested colors for walls, floor and ceilings if not black, should be darker shade of neutral colors.

Again, these are suggestions only.  The owner always has the final choice whatever he pleases it should be.   ;D ;D

Offline spenz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 08:56 AM »
Gosh...just getting the right size of the HT room is already complicated enough & many factors have to consider...(not to mention marami sakit ulo?) I want to put up a 96" screen but judging from Ricky's computation don't think it can fit into a small 20 sqm HT... :-\

pchin we have almost the same size of the room but i currently have 84" screen. I feel this is just right for my room size. Since you mentioned that you are craving for an affordable consultant above, iam urging you to please wait for my HT to get properly pimped out  :D and if you like what you are seeing. Then why not get ricky?Iam sure you guys can meet regarding the cost plus it will really be easy as breezing in the air when a fellow dvd member is the one you are working with, i meant the relationship. Let me be his guinea pig  :P and im sure when it's time for your HT, it will be a lot better against whatever the result of i got with my diy HT. :D God bless our hobby!  ;D

Offline docelmo

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 09:05 AM »

Bro! your in Masbate? ;D
Hehehe...sa Albay ako, magkapit probinsya tayo!
Bikolano ka?
 ;D
Denon/ GoldenEar Technology/Onkyo/Optoma/Sansui/SVS

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 10:26 AM »
When you "violate" the ideal ratio, your room may have severe peaks and dips in some frequencies. The problem is when the standing waves in one dimension are a multiple of those in another dimension. There is a spreadsheet which does a good calculation of this. Hanapin ko.

I think this is were the treatment and proper calibration comes in :) Sir we're just building a decent home theater at a budgeted cost and not a proffesional theater like yours and sir alvin ;D We're not that rich and honestly cant spend that much  :-[. Marv is right that form vs function plays a big role in every design which is dictated by money on hand ;D

Akala ko naman, yung "monoblock" ay yung single-channel super-duper power amp. Yumpala, "monobloc" na plastic chair.  ;D ;D

Its either monobloc or area rug ang choices Sir for the extra seats ;D

pchin we have almost the same size of the room but i currently have 84" screen. I feel this is just right for my room size. Since you mentioned that you are craving for an affordable consultant above, iam urging you to please wait for my HT to get properly pimped out  :D and if you like what you are seeing. Then why not get ricky?Iam sure you guys can meet regarding the cost plus it will really be easy as breezing in the air when a fellow dvd member is the one you are working with, i meant the relationship. Let me be his guinea pig  :P and im sure when it's time for your HT, it will be a lot better against whatever the result of i got with my diy HT. :D God bless our hobby!  ;D

Ryan, paul is talking about DIAGONAL SCREEN SIZE of 96" which is what you have right now ;) Yung 84" mo is the width of the screen, nalito ka na naman pare :D

ricky, curious ako ... ano kulay ng walls, ceiling and floor ng HT ni spenz?

Yung flooring beige ceramic tiles ang gamit :-[ thats why we will just cover it with area rugs to reduce reflection. His original plan is to have his HT sa attic kaya yon yung na ka parquet wood flooring,Eh nagbago isip ni ryan kaya ibinaba ng 1 floor nun tapos na construction ;D as for the walls, undecided pa sya between RED(mom's fav color) or earth colors(his fav naman) ;D For the ceiling I guess it would remain white for now until we decided to treat it after finishing the walls ;)

Bro! your in Masbate? ;D
Hehehe...sa Albay ako, magkapit probinsya tayo!
Bikolano ka?
 ;D

Manila ako, si spenz ang masbate :) But my father is a bicolano-chinese ;D

Offline streetsmart

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 10:48 AM »
I understand that there are often constraints, starting with the dimensions of the room. Baka d nga ideal pero wala magawa. Ganun din naman ang HT ko, dami rin constraints. Pero check ko lang which frequencies will be affected by the current dimensions and then maybe a solution can be found in the treatment of the room.

For the walls, I suggest earth colors kasi ang red wall will affect the color of the picture. Magiging red din.  :)

In fact, dapat isipin maigi ang white ceiling. Sana darker color kasi otherwise, the contrast ratio will be affected.

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 10:58 AM »
I understand that there are often constraints, starting with the dimensions of the room. Baka d nga ideal pero wala magawa. Ganun din naman ang HT ko, dami rin constraints. Pero check ko lang which frequencies will be affected by the current dimensions and then maybe a solution can be found in the treatment of the room.

For the walls, I suggest earth colors kasi ang red wall will affect the color of the picture. Magiging red din.  :)

In fact, dapat isipin maigi ang white ceiling. Sana darker color kasi otherwise, the contrast ratio will be affected.

Sige Sir pls advice us what treatments pa needed for that room measurements. ;)

Yes for the walls im more into earth colors and suggested to just add red accents to please her mom :)

As for the ceiling I dont think ryan likes it in dark colors but may eventually consider it depending on the propose design of treatment to be used :D

Thanks Sir for the inputs :)

Offline MAtZTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 11:26 AM »
I lesson I learned from my  HT: Do not use floor to ceiling glass. Yes it looks cool. but 2% of the time the glass can rattle & light comes in from my adjacent room. ( I had to reposition my sub for the glass to no rattle).

I had it there as compromise for WAF.

Dont forget WAF!!!

this is gonna be a useful thread! I am looking to build a new house if possible (special thanks to a Feng shui master! hehehe) !

syempre may HT! I will prefer hidden speakers this time though, most probably in a multimedia, multi-purpose room rather than a dedicated HT. Convergence HT's appeals to me more than dedicated HT's. Plus there are more challenges for this, and I love challenges!   8)
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008 at 11:32 AM by MAtZTER »

Offline docelmo

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 11:32 AM »

Manila ako, si spenz ang masbate :) But my father is a bicolano-chinese ;D

Hehehe oks, the post was actually for sir spenz.
But since your part bikolano ka din pala....san kayo sa bikol?

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 11:51 AM »
When you "violate" the ideal ratio, your room may have severe peaks and dips in some frequencies. The problem is when the standing waves in one dimension are a multiple of those in another dimension.

Assuming we can't get a a perfect dimension/ratio room....is it safe to presume using those AVR built-in feature such as the Denon Audyssey or Yamaha YPAO for sound calibration will correct the room accoustic problems plus some manual adjustment...at least up to 90% accuracy?
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008 at 11:52 AM by pchin »

Offline docelmo

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 12:19 PM »

Mmmm.....white ang ceiling namin! kaya pala medyo mahina ang contrast, and madalas may reflection pa!
What colors/treatment ang pwede ko gawin?
Thanks!
 :)

Offline Full HD 3D

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 12:21 PM »
Sige Sir pls advice us what treatments pa needed for that room measurements. ;)

Yes for the walls im more into earth colors and suggested to just add red accents to please her mom :)

As for the ceiling I dont think ryan likes it in dark colors but may eventually consider it depending on the propose design of treatment to be used :D

Thanks Sir for the inputs :)
I don't think you need dark color for the ceiling. Whats the best color for a room is using subtle shades or grays. A gray shade would be best since it wont create reflection. You can go to National Book Store and buy a pantone color chart.Any shade under subtle or gray shade would be best for your room.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2008 at 12:24 PM »
Mmmm.....white ang ceiling namin! kaya pala medyo mahina ang contrast, and madalas may reflection pa!
What colors/treatment ang pwede ko gawin?
Thanks!
 :)
darker shade of neutral colors.   of course, non reflective lahat dapat, or matte/flat.   the best ang black, but some of us definitely wouldnt want that.   again, another compromise to work with here.   function vs design.  some choices of neutral colors:

This I found out na rin after my current HT was built/painted. 
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2008 at 12:28 PM by Munskie »