Author Topic: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO - INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER  (Read 126742 times)

Offline johnfc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CAMBRIDGE AUDIO - INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER
« Reply #210 on: Aug 24, 2010 at 03:42 PM »
Sir, based on your experience, soundwise, may difference ba ang 840e sa pre amp ng 840a?
B&W 683, Onkyo 3008

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #211 on: Aug 25, 2010 at 04:55 AM »
Meron, especially when using balanced interconnects on the 840E. Since the 375 only has unbalanced iputs, the difference is partly negated. The lower preout level of the 840a can be useful to properly match the 2 amps (do not bypass the nad's preamp when biamping, so that you can use it as a gain control).

Of course, getting the 840e and bypassing the 375's preamp is the easier and more conventional option.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #212 on: Aug 26, 2010 at 08:44 PM »
Master, malayo sa tunog yun in-audition natin na dvdp vs CA740c. I mean i know it's obvious na a dedicated cdp is preferred over dvdp. Pero in this case, malayo talaga. I was so hesitant to get the RB-81 at first because of what we've heard. But observing the graph you posted sa other site, i took the risk and ordered a pair na. Pagdating dito sa house, i balanced the speaks on the stand based on weight distribution. Hindi ko pa nga pinakinggan cuz baka ma-disappoint ako. Pero my theory was correct. Twas the dvdp to be blamed sa "kulang" na nadinig ko. Right now, the 740C is singing and processing my HDD music files via NMT matched with my flea amp.  ;D

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: Aug 27, 2010 at 12:17 PM »
Master, malayo sa tunog yun in-audition natin na dvdp vs CA740c. I mean i know it's obvious na a dedicated cdp is preferred over dvdp. Pero in this case, malayo talaga. I was so hesitant to get the RB-81 at first because of what we've heard. But observing the graph you posted sa other site, i took the risk and ordered a pair na. Pagdating dito sa house, i balanced the speaks on the stand based on weight distribution. Hindi ko pa nga pinakinggan cuz baka ma-disappoint ako. Pero my theory was correct. Twas the dvdp to be blamed sa "kulang" na nadinig ko. Right now, the 740C is singing and processing my HDD music files via NMT matched with my flea amp.  ;D
Ibang level natong setup ni master Nelson! Di na maabot grabe, baka magpahulog na lang ako sa bangin after ko marinig yan kasi alam kong habangbuhay ay di maaabot ng mga jologs na tulad namin.  :'(

Maganda naman talaga ang 740C. It won't win HiFi News' comparo against its very formidable competitors if it failed in terms of sound quality. It gained top points for sound quality, build quality, and features.

Offline beginner

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 04:26 AM »
Should've grabbed that 740c when I had the chance...  ;D

I'm really eager to hear that RB18 of yours Master Nelson paired with your new amp and cdp.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 05:04 AM »
Should've grabbed that 740c when I had the chance...  ;D

I'm really eager to hear that RB18 of yours Master Nelson paired with your new amp and cdp.

Master Raz, kailangan natin ng ear protection para maiwasan ang barrage ng detail. Baka tuluyang mabura ang ating innocence sa dami ng revelations ng system ni master Nelson. Parang forbidden fruit yan, pag sinubukan mo eh magbabago ang tingin mo sa existing world mo (we'd realize how feeble our systems are).

Online turismo1997

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #216 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 05:35 AM »
Hi po mga Gurus,

I have a spare Monitor Audio S2 that i'm delegating to 2 channel duties. I’m currently considering 340A/340C or 350A/350C (if available) combo.

Should I be concerned about the power output (40w at 8ohms 50w @ 4ohms) of the integrated amp whether if it is enough to drive my S2?

Based on what I read here, you guys have 540a/c and up.

Currently, my budget limits me to 20k+.

Coincidentally, I have a spare AVR RX-V1500 (relieved by RX-V1800). I initially considered using this AVR with the CDP to drive the S2. But for aesthetic reasons, mas maganda kung match yung cdp and amp :D.

Your thoughts please.

TIA

Offline beginner

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 05:36 AM »
Ouch! I should be wearing Master Lem's armor of c*** then to protect myself from further dissuasion against what I currently have.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 02:17 PM »
Ouch! I should be wearing Master Lem's armor of c*** then to protect myself from further dissuasion against what I currently have.

Dapat yan ang sinuot mo nung first time mo nagpunta kay Master Stagea.

@ Turismo:

Lets wait for master Stagea's suggestion as he is very well versed with the Cambridge line (Stockholder kasi ng Avesco). Though i think baka wala kang headroom for a 40w amp. Kindly post your listening preferences and type of music so others could better chime in their suggestions.

Online turismo1997

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Aug 28, 2010 at 04:32 PM »
Tnx sir nelson.

usually i have a wide range of music preference. but i normally play smooth/pop jazz when listening to my s2.

I recently inquired about 340's but they are currently out of stock. they are offering the next line 540/550 at a discount.

@ Turismo:

Lets wait for master Stagea's suggestion as he is very well versed with the Cambridge line (Stockholder kasi ng Avesco). Though i think baka wala kang headroom for a 40w amp. Kindly post your listening preferences and type of music so others could better chime in their suggestions.
[/quote]

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 01:14 AM »
Kailangan natin yan, hiramin muna natin kay Master Lem yung armor bago tapo pumasok sa mansion ni Master Nelson. :)

@turismo
Nice speakers sir. The Silver S2 is the granddaddy of the current Silver RX2. :) Like the RX2, the S2 is also balanced slightly towards warmth. They'd probably match well with Cambridges. I suggest you bring your speakers to a 5th Avenue branch or to Avesco for a demo (if you haven't tried them with a CA combo). If you're bothered with convenience, the Trinoma branch is very close to the North Parking entrance, while the Shang branch is right beside the mall parking. The Park Square branch is also not that far away from the parking elevator.

How big is your room? The 340 pair will work well for moderate playback volumes or a smaller room (and they're great for the price). The 550C and the 550A would truly be a step up in quality and drive, and would drive your speakers very well.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2010 at 01:18 AM by Stagea »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 01:58 AM »
Hi po mga Gurus,

I have a spare Monitor Audio S2 that i'm delegating to 2 channel duties. I’m currently considering 340A/340C or 350A/350C (if available) combo.

Should I be concerned about the power output (40w at 8ohms 50w @ 4ohms) of the integrated amp whether if it is enough to drive my S2?

Based on what I read here, you guys have 540a/c and up.

Currently, my budget limits me to 20k+.

Coincidentally, I have a spare AVR RX-V1500 (relieved by RX-V1800). I initially considered using this AVR with the CDP to drive the S2. But for aesthetic reasons, mas maganda kung match yung cdp and amp :D.

Your thoughts please.

TIA
@turismo
Nice speakers sir. The Silver S2 is the granddaddy of the current Silver RX2. :) Like the RX2, the S2 is also balanced slightly towards warmth. They'd probably match well with Cambridges. I suggest you bring your speakers to a 5th Avenue branch or to Avesco for a demo (if you haven't tried them with a CA combo). If you're bothered with convenience, the Trinoma branch is very close to the North Parking entrance, while the Shang branch is right beside the mall parking. The Park Square branch is also not that far away from the parking elevator.

@ turismo:

Just don't forget to mention master guru IVAN's name sa 5th ave para malatagan ka ng rea laced with gold carpet.  ;D

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 02:28 AM »
Nyek loko ka Master Nelson. Hindi ako stockholder, tagalinis ako ng banyo nila.  :'(

@ turismo

If you happen to go to the Trinoma branch, you can ask for Benjie or Ronnie. If they're not around, Mike (or anyone else there) can still assist you. Tell them that Ivan referred you.

They have a cramped listening area and a fairly high traffic store, so it might not be the best shopping experience. The people there are really nice and helpful though (as are the people in the Park Square branch), and that more than makes up for everything else (at least for me as a consumer).
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2010 at 02:34 AM by Stagea »

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 02:57 AM »
Nyek loko ka Master Nelson. Hindi ako stockholder, tagalinis ako ng banyo nila.  :'(

@ turismo

If you happen to go to the Trinoma branch, you can ask for Benjie or Ronnie. If they're not around, Mike (or anyone else there) can still assist you. Tell them that Ivan referred you.

They have a cramped listening area and a fairly high traffic store, so it might not be the best shopping experience. The people there are really nice and helpful though (as are the people in the Park Square branch), and that more than makes up for everything else (at least for me as a consumer).

And don't forget to tell them na you were recommended by master guru Stagea aka Audio god Ivan. si Ivan kamo yun low profile " major major"  ;D stockholder ng Avesco. Major major owner yan.  ;)

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 04:59 AM »
And don't forget to tell them na you were recommended by master guru Stagea aka Audio god Ivan. si Ivan kamo yun low profile " major major"  ;D stockholder ng Avesco. Major major owner yan.  ;)

Baka palayasin ka pag yan ang sinabi mo.  :D

Offline beginner

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 04:49 PM »
@Turismo
The 340 won't have any issues driving your S2s. Maybe you could stretch your budget a bit to get even a 540a/340c or 640a/340c combo. I think they're having a sale on the 40 series of CA. And don't forget to mention you are a friend of Guru Ivan.

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 07:11 PM »
Master Karl and I heard Master Nelson's new system. Ibang level, pang HiFi show talaga.

Tapos yung Brand N + Brand C ni Master Karl, OMG! The punch of sheer power.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #227 on: Aug 29, 2010 at 07:20 PM »
Master Karl and I heard Master Nelson's new system. Ibang level, pang HiFi show talaga.

[/b]

@nelson
horny talaga si sir nelson, kahihigop ng soup#5 sa banawe ;D  pwede ba partylist-jaguar makinig ng SET/Horns mo?
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2010 at 07:26 PM by ojofool »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 04:34 AM »
@nelson
horny talaga si sir nelson, kahihigop ng soup#5 sa banawe ;D  pwede ba partylist-jaguar makinig ng SET/Horns mo?

Ibang level talaga. Di ako makahinga sa lakas ng pressure.  :o

Offline dukesociety

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • music lovers of the world unite!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #229 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 08:19 AM »
mga sirs,

ask ko lang difference ng sound signature ng nad (pref 355/356bee) sa ca (pref 550a).

gusto ko kasi yung highs and mids ng nad, medyo disappointed lang sa lows.

tried also marantz 8003, great highs, tight lows pero kulang naman para sa kin yung mids.

tia.

link

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 08:52 AM »
Brighter and more forward-sounding ang CA amps kesa NAD or Marantz. Tight and urgent lows, with a fast and fairly dynamic sound. Frequency extension is not a problem, as long as you have the right source and speakers hooked up. Details and images are clearly presented, though some find the overall sound somewhat cool and "clinical."

You'd also notice that there would be more emphasis on the leading edge of notes, versus the NAD or the Marantz sound. It is a different character, which may not appeal to everyone. It's best to hear it for yourself. :)

Online turismo1997

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 10:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I was out of town at ngayon lang ako na kapag online.

Before I went out of town, i was able to look around and got some decent offers on the 540 and 550 series at park square.

@Stagea. My ht room will be around 15 sq meters although I plan to put the cdp/amp instead in the living room which will be around 10 sqm.

I was able to audition a nad 515bee alsi while i was there at that area.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2010 at 10:07 PM by turismo1997 »

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 10:29 PM »
How did you find the 540A/550A?

The C515BEE is a pretty strong for a 40 watter (lots of dynamic reserve), though it has a darker and more laid-back character. Did you bring your speakers with you para makita kung matched?

The 550A is priced the same as the 640A more or less, but I'd still get the 550A against the 640A because of the nicer pot. The 550A may be rated with less continuous output, but in realistic use they're more or less even (the x50A series have more dynamic reserve per continuous output rating versus the x40 series).
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2010 at 12:12 AM by Stagea »

Offline dukesociety

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • music lovers of the world unite!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #233 on: Aug 30, 2010 at 11:41 PM »

Before I went out of town, i was able to look around and got some decent offers on the 540 and 550 series at park square.

I was able to audition a nad 515bee alsi while i was there at that area.

turismo,

mind comparing the sound between nad and ca? which amp do you prefer?

tia

Online turismo1997

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Sep 01, 2010 at 03:05 AM »

@Stagea/@dukesociety - I haven't heard yet the 550a/540a as I was only able to audition the nads

would it be possible to partner a 540c/550c with either a 640a/740a?
340c and 540/550a / 640/650a?

How did you find the 540A/550A?

The C515BEE is a pretty strong for a 40 watter (lots of dynamic reserve), though it has a darker and more laid-back character. Did you bring your speakers with you para makita kung matched?

The 550A is priced the same as the 640A more or less, but I'd still get the 550A against the 640A because of the nicer pot. The 550A may be rated with less continuous output, but in realistic use they're more or less even (the x50A series have more dynamic reserve per continuous output rating versus the x40 series).

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Sep 01, 2010 at 03:33 AM »
@Stagea/@dukesociety - I haven't heard yet the 550a/540a as I was only able to audition the nads

would it be possible to partner a 540c/550c with either a 640a/740a?
340c and 540/550a / 640/650a?

Yes, it's very possible. :) For the most part, you get the sound of the front end that you choose, and the power of the amp that you match it with. 

The 40 series CDPs (340c/540c/640c/740c/840c) go well with their fellow 40 series amps (340a/540a/640a/740a/840a/840e-840w). The 50 series CDPs (350C/550C/650C) go well with 50 series amps (350A/55A/650A).

If you like the NAD sound, the 50 series sound might appeal to you more than the 40 series sound. The 50 series is fairly neutral, while the 40 series can border on hyperanalytical to some people (largely dependent on the speakers you match them with).

Online turismo1997

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Sep 02, 2010 at 02:36 AM »
Tnx Stagea. Will try to audition more.

Offline Hammerheart

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • DVD Guru
  • Formerly known as tormentor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #237 on: Sep 20, 2010 at 11:33 AM »
Is the Cambridge Audio DacMagic available locally? Any comments on this D/A converter?

According to Cambridge Audio website, Cambrdige Audio distributor in Philippines is Avesco. E-mailed Avesco, but no reply.

visit 5th ave. branches they have the dacmagic.  :)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Sep 20, 2010 at 04:31 PM »
visit 5th ave. branches they have the dacmagic.  :)

One unit left as of last month. order basis only.

Offline dyerds

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #239 on: Sep 20, 2010 at 05:23 PM »
Anyone here who's using DacMagic? I'm planning to use this for my my htpc together with Azur 550A but I've read a lot of bad reviews about it (DacMagic) that's why I'm looking for a better alternative.

Slightly OT:
I'm torn between NAD C326BEE and Azur 550A. Who do you pick between the two?

Thanks.  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2010 at 05:25 PM by dyerds »