Author Topic: NMT / Media Player Comparisons  (Read 144376 times)

Offline 45caliber

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • BLACK GETTER
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: NMT / Media Player Comparisons
« Reply #570 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 05:48 AM »
in my case, i have 2x 3TB external connected on USB and another 2x 2TB on NAS, always connected - except that I have the NAS turned-off when not using its contents ... have you tried using USB expansion hub? that may work

uy matagal ko ng iniisip kung puwede gumamit ng ganyan? will the expansion hub work? meron kasi nito yung may kasamang power supply or at least an option to have it powered.. puwede po ba ang ganito sa NMT? madedetect po kaya or wala bang performance loss pagdating sa video at audio quality.. thanks thanks
Soul of Chogokin Collector
Samsung UE55KU6000/MED450S2X
Philips BDP-2500/Denon X520-BT
Wharfedale

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2644
« Reply #571 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 06:13 AM »
I have question guys...I'm sure a lot of you here have multiple external HD's. For instance, in my case, I already have 5 external HD's and a 2TB internal HD.

1. Are all your external drives connected to your NMT's all at one time?
2. If yes, how do you connect all of them, considering that there are only 2 USB ports?
3. If not, how do you manage your HD's?

:)

ang nakaconnect lang sakin yung hd na gusto ko panoorin ang laman
if sabay kasi nakaconnect alam ko mabagal magread and boot yung nmt
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #572 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 07:00 AM »

some NMTs allow you to disable disk scanning sa menu. si PCH dapat talaga 1 disk muna tapos saka mo na power up yung iba. pero i think if na gawa na nya si NMJ duties nya, ayos na agad.

i still prefer to have an internal HDD, since usually there are only 2 USB expansion ports ... the one used by sir Allan is a good one, di lang pwede sa situation ko dahil sa kalikutan ng mga pamangkin ko

SATA HDD docks are perfect companion for NMTs, meron ding HDD DUAL SATA docks (3.5"/2.5" capable). upright ang kabit, so it will see 2 full drives apart from your external, 80% of the disk surface is exposed to air so cooling it is easy.

Here's the catch nung dual docks na may cloning ---- if you press the OTB(one touch backup/cloning mode) the 1st disk goes to your 2nd disk sector by sector. delikado sa bagito at batang malikot todas ang 2nd HDD mo and wala din siyang write protect:)

Fair warning -- collecting disks  is an expensive hobby. Given also that disks have limited warranties, make sure it enjoys plenty of room for air cooling. i placed my docks top shelf away from my 6 year old.

uy matagal ko ng iniisip kung puwede gumamit ng ganyan? will the expansion hub work? meron kasi nito yung may kasamang power supply or at least an option to have it powered.. puwede po ba ang ganito sa NMT? madedetect po kaya or wala bang performance loss pagdating sa video at audio quality.. thanks thanks

it will work for most NMTs, just get full speed USB 2.0 wala dapat performance issue. option for powered is correct, i tried before without one , di kaya if you fully populate (at least the one i tested).

To share -- I recently had revskie's 8 bay probox and help out on an repair (RMA with Mediasonic), tuwang tuwa ako during the test dahil for the first time i can see all my 8 x 3TB in one place in one storage enclosure. i was able to deduplicate my contents and categorize them to a certain way. Kaya hayun, yung mama di mo makausap ngayon dahil for the first time all his drives are in one place and active at all times.

Another case was a member asked me to pry open all his 7 x 1TB USB 2.0 enclosures, and got moved them to an enclosure. He sent it to annot's shop  and  we just plugged next day all his disks to the 4 bay enclosure na USB 3.0.

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2012 at 07:13 AM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #573 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 08:24 AM »
I'm also using a powered 10-Port USB Hub, connected to the spare USB port of the NMT.  It works perfectly well basta sufficient yung ampere rating ng adapter relative to the total number of ports.  Check your adapter.  All of them would output at 5VDC at a certain amp rating.  If I recall correctly, the recommended rating per port should be around 400-500mA.   As mentioned by another member, the best technique is to power up the NMT first (with 1 HDD or even faster without), then turn on all externals one at a time.  That's the fastest way to initialize them all and ready for playback.

But then you only get to watch one movie at a time anyways so why power up so many external HDDs, not to mention your NMT has very fast and safe HDD removal/replacement function?  Of course, there are cases na gusto mong mag-scroll through as many HDDs as you may have.

Offline anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2644
« Reply #574 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 08:36 AM »
But then you only get to watch one movie at a time anyways so why power up so many external HDDs, not to mention your NMT has very fast and safe HDD removal/replacement function?  Of course, there are cases na gusto mong mag-scroll through as many HDDs as you may have.

since mabilis naman magremove or replace ng external hdd isa isa na lang nakasalang din sakin.
normally me classification naman ang mga movies mo so alam mo kung san hdd nakalagay yung gusto mong panoorin (ex: 2012 movies, action, drama, etc)
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline JT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #575 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 09:06 AM »
I have question guys...I'm sure a lot of you here have multiple external HD's. For instance, in my case, I already have 5 external HD's and a 2TB internal HD.

1. Are all your external drives connected to your NMT's all at one time?
2. If yes, how do you connect all of them, considering that there are only 2 USB ports?
3. If not, how do you manage your HD's?
 :)

1. yes, you can use usb hub (powered is recommended althought non-powered will work as well).
2. Mine I connect 4 x 2 tb. I can power on all these at the sametime, my Himedia HD600b can handle but of course the startup is slow.
3. I use a power extension which has separate switches. Since I dont really need all my hd running at the sametime when watching, I only turn on specific hd.  

I have sorted my hd (4x 2tb) accdg to 4 categories so I know what to power on.
Anthology (movie series),
Blockbuster (our favorite movies, anime, cartoons)
Collections (Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Jacky Chan, Other movies, foreign films, tagalog movies)
Documentaries (documentaries, educational, korean series, etc).

Apart from this, my player has internal hd 2tb which contains christian movies, music and concerts.  I also got 1tb and 500gb portable HD in which i sometimes use to the spare usb of the media player.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2012 at 09:12 AM by JT »

Offline JT

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • GOD RULES!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #576 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 09:21 AM »
And if I need my players in the bedrooms to access these HD, I use Aztech Powerline so that i dont have to dismantle the hd to bring inside the room.

http://www.aztech.com/sg/homeplug_hl280e.html

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #577 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM »

+1 never mo makikita in a consolidated location ang lahat ng files mo, since ang top level mo so 8 disks ang top folder mo and you pick one to zoom in.  Likely in an HTPC, given its *nux, you can mount them to a /videos so that all 8 disks are located as folders instead of drives.

Sharing multidrives makes sense if you use the NMT share to present them to other rooms at the house.

toy

Offline 45caliber

• Collector
  • BLACK GETTER
  • Liked:
« Reply #578 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 03:05 PM »
All cleared up.. thanks guys...
Soul of Chogokin Collector
Samsung UE55KU6000/MED450S2X
Philips BDP-2500/Denon X520-BT
Wharfedale

Offline defined

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • bulakenyo
  • Liked:
« Reply #579 on: Aug 31, 2012 at 05:51 PM »
maybe for now i will go for nmt w/ internal hdd...mhal p kasi yun external storage like the probox...thank you for the comments...
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2012 at 05:54 PM by defined »

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #580 on: Sep 01, 2012 at 11:45 PM »
in my case, i have 2x 3TB external connected on USB and another 2x 2TB on NAS, always connected - except that I have the NAS turned-off when not using its contents ... have you tried using USB expansion hub? that may work

Thanks for the suggestion sir raptor. Yes, I have tried it, but there are issues when viewing films when all of the HD's are connected. Parang the player cannot play flawlessly when there are too much HD's connected. :(

I thought of doing this as well sir Philip, pero problem is, when I connect just 1 or 2 HD's, as I scroll for movies to watch, bigla nalang I'll decide to watch something else in the HD that's not connected. :-[ My point is, hassle lang to be connecting and disconnecting the HD's from time to time...but that's just me. :)

But then you only get to watch one movie at a time anyways so why power up so many external HDDs, not to mention your NMT has very fast and safe HDD removal/replacement function?  Of course, there are cases na gusto mong mag-scroll through as many HDDs as you may have.

That's the thing...I can't decide what to watch until I see the list of films I have. Depende sa mood, if you know what I mean... ;D

since mabilis naman magremove or replace ng external hdd isa isa na lang nakasalang din sakin.
normally me classification naman ang mga movies mo so alam mo kung san hdd nakalagay yung gusto mong panoorin (ex: 2012 movies, action, drama, etc)

Unfortunately for me, hinde sya classified into categories. Halo halo sya. I download about 1 720p film a day - 24/7. So at this point, it's pretty hard to categorize...but doable naman if I have the time. :)

1. yes, you can use usb hub (powered is recommended althought non-powered will work as well).
2. Mine I connect 4 x 2 tb. I can power on all these at the sametime, my Himedia HD600b can handle but of course the startup is slow.
3. I use a power extension which has separate switches. Since I dont really need all my hd running at the sametime when watching, I only turn on specific hd.  

I have sorted my hd (4x 2tb) accdg to 4 categories so I know what to power on.
Anthology (movie series),
Blockbuster (our favorite movies, anime, cartoons)
Collections (Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Jacky Chan, Other movies, foreign films, tagalog movies)
Documentaries (documentaries, educational, korean series, etc).

Apart from this, my player has internal hd 2tb which contains christian movies, music and concerts.  I also got 1tb and 500gb portable HD in which i sometimes use to the spare usb of the media player.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing sir JT. Awesome way of managing your files. :)

To share -- I recently had revskie's 8 bay probox and help out on an repair (RMA with Mediasonic), tuwang tuwa ako during the test dahil for the first time i can see all my 8 x 3TB in one place in one storage enclosure. i was able to deduplicate my contents and categorize them to a certain way. Kaya hayun, yung mama di mo makausap ngayon dahil for the first time all his drives are in one place and active at all times.

This is really my dream sir Jim, but very expensive. I like the idea of the probox, really, but what do I do with all my external HD's - should I just sell them to buy internal drives for the probox? Pero kung ganon, how do I transfer all my movies into the internal drives when the funds for the drives will come from the externat ones? Hahahaha! :D But that's a different story altogether. ;)

Thanks for every ones input on the matter. Greatly appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2012 at 11:47 PM by stickfighter »

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #581 on: Sep 02, 2012 at 04:19 AM »
This is really my dream sir Jim, but very expensive. I like the idea of the probox, really, but what do I do with all my external HD's - should I just sell them to buy internal drives for the probox? Pero kung ganon, how do I transfer all my movies into the internal drives when the funds for the drives will come from the externat ones? Hahahaha! :D But that's a different story altogether. ;)

mas mura to move the external and consolidate them to bigger disks. I'd get fewer bigger disks,and move the contents, esp. if USB 2.0, you just have to be very patient with the transferring :)

I found a shop who can do this for you worry-free for a fee(transfer all the disk contents to new drives).

yun isang member na di makahantay (8 x 1 TB nya) ang ginawa: binaklas yung HDD nya since nonwarranty na raw, at pinasok agad sa multibay.  But i will still advise to sell them off, and buy bigger disks.

my BD.ISO i recently migrated from 4 x 2TB -> 3TB disks, sorted by a certain category.

toy

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #582 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 10:35 PM »
Which of the current NMTS are totally verified to be totally capable of playing 3D BD ISO with totally no problem in terms of A/V, totally complete and totally walang isipan?   :)  (sorry I just spoke to my teenage daughter)   ;D

What happens if the connected HDTV is 2D?  Would you see the overlapping videos, or is it similar sa case of HTPC na totally 2D lumalabas if the monitor is not 3D?
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2012 at 10:38 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline sonofgtg

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #583 on: Sep 20, 2012 at 01:04 AM »
good day mga bossing, any recommendation for a budget NMT na may torrent downloader? Maraming salamat po
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2012 at 01:05 AM by FrontmanGaffy »
PSN ID: sonofgtg

Offline stockHT

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #584 on: Sep 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM »
Which of the current NMTS are totally verified to be totally capable of playing 3D BD ISO with totally no problem in terms of A/V, totally complete and totally walang isipan?   :)  (sorry I just spoke to my teenage daughter)   ;D

What happens if the connected HDTV is 2D?  Would you see the overlapping videos, or is it similar sa case of HTPC na totally 2D lumalabas if the monitor is not 3D?

up natin.. same question.

im looking measy x5 and xtreamer sidewinder 3. both can play daw 3D but not sure about the 3D ISO. and my question is which is much better?
Blog and Vlog

http://tinyurl.com/YNTV-Vlog

VinylGrimes

Offline Audio Excellence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Definitive Technology
  • Liked:
« Reply #585 on: Sep 27, 2012 at 11:15 PM »

AC Ryan Play ON 3D is what you are looking for.

Offline actino

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #586 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 01:10 PM »
And if I need my players in the bedrooms to access these HD, I use Aztech Powerline so that i dont have to dismantle the hd to bring inside the room.

http://www.aztech.com/sg/homeplug_hl280e.html

Will these work if all the outlets are on separate circuit breakers?

Offline newbie pa rin

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #587 on: Oct 17, 2012 at 03:40 PM »
Which will you recommend?

Mede8er Med400X2S = P4,500.00
Measy E8HDL = P4,800.00
Bnew A.C. Ryan Play ON HD Essential = P4,900,
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline Audio Excellence

• DVD Addict
  • Definitive Technology
  • Liked:
« Reply #588 on: Oct 18, 2012 at 09:10 PM »

Measy E8HDL = P4,800.00

Go for the AC Ryan Essential, comes with 2 years warranty, will play more file types then any other media player and has a superior user interface.

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #589 on: Oct 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM »

Measy E8HDL = P4,800.00

have you considered 1186 players out there? mas mabilis ha?
toy

Offline newbie pa rin

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, newbie here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #590 on: Oct 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM »
^ Sir, what 1186 players? Not familiar with it. Currently using an xtreamer media player and streamer.
Where there is no vision, the people perish

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #591 on: Oct 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM »
^ Sir, what 1186 players? Not familiar with it. Currently using an xtreamer media player and streamer.

those that can go Andriod, that can go 3D, those like egreat R6S and R300, or measy X5. it depends really on the budget, kasi the newer chips are faster like any other chip generation(Realtek (latest to oldest)-- 1186, 1185, 1073, 1055).

Also look for safe shutdown feature to properly dismount your file system, so when you connect to laptop/desktop, it will not go checkdisk. some older NMTs (1073,1055) cant do this unfortunately.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2012 at 09:04 PM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline toughthrone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #592 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM »
hello!

just want to know your opinions anong setup ang ok to be platform-independent/flexible? i mean, data management (e.g. NAS) in such a way na kesyo anong nmt or htpc or smart tv, it will easily be able to access the same data via smb and dlna/upnp.

as of now may setup (if you call it a setup haha) is just pcha300 with internal hdisk, with network sharing so i am able to access the files via smb (ipad, android device) or via dlna (samsung smart tv, ps3). however may ininstall ang pch sa a300 ko to make it work (nmt tools ata if i remember it right).

i want to change it sana in such a way i have a separate dedicated NAS server, connected to our home router, then any nmt can access it, kahit next time mag android tv stick ako.

any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks guys!

Offline mcskuss

• Apprentice
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #593 on: Nov 13, 2012 at 01:16 PM »
hi all,

anyone using AC Ryan player for more than 1yr or 2yrs?
any problems encountered so far even if the HDD is almost full?

what best multimedia player would you recommend?

thanks in advance! :)

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 263
« Reply #594 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 04:36 PM »
1) What are the current 1186-based players available locally?   

2) What are their respective prices?

3) And what would be your choice and why?

:D
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2012 at 04:37 PM by Verbl Kint »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #595 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 04:46 PM »
Sorry Tsip I thought of adding another question.

4) Read claims (specifically on the Mede8er1000x3D) of unreliable playback of both 2D and 3D Full BDs on 1186 that are allegedly attributable to Realtek.  How has your respective 1186-based player coped on this?   

Offline ultimatedls

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #596 on: Nov 15, 2012 at 04:48 PM »
hi all,

anyone using AC Ryan player for more than 1yr or 2yrs?
any problems encountered so far even if the HDD is almost full?

what best multimedia player would you recommend?

thanks in advance! :)
I'm using ac ryan and mede8er. For me I like ac ryan cos it plays louder than my mede8er but the mede8er naman mas maganda yon screen gui ba yon
SVS PB13 and PC13 ULTRA
SVS ULTRA SPEAKERS
EMOTIVA
MARANTZ

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #597 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM »
I'm using ac ryan and mede8er. For me I like ac ryan cos it plays louder than my mede8er but the mede8er naman mas maganda yon screen gui ba yon

Upgrade the firmware of your AC Ryan, the new GUI is very impressive.

Offline Audio Excellence

• DVD Addict
  • Definitive Technology
  • Liked:
« Reply #598 on: Nov 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM »
Sorry Tsip I thought of adding another question.

4) Read claims (specifically on the Mede8er1000x3D) of unreliable playback of both 2D and 3D Full BDs on 1186 that are allegedly attributable to Realtek.  How has your respective 1186-based player coped on this?   

Why Don't you consider the AC Ryan Play On 3D, retail price is only P9,900 each. Check out the website:

http://acryan.com/sg/

Offline rhizom3

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #599 on: Nov 22, 2012 at 02:18 PM »
Guys,

What's your recommended good all-rounder NMT in the market today?  Budget is below 3K.  I have a Panny 42VT30 3D TV and a 2 x 200w stereo amplifier for Audio. 

I'm eyeing on the Xtreamer Elvira that sells around ~2K.  If I play 3D movies on this player, are there any issues/compromise with the 3D PQ?  I'm open to other NMTs within the budget.

Thanks in advance!!!