Author Topic: Alvinh Room: Reviving Back To Life- Back to Basics  (Read 296863 times)

Offline alvinh

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy your gears. Have fun in your journey.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: alvinh Room for my movies
« Reply #270 on: Oct 06, 2008 at 08:22 PM »
nice!

mamaya andito si brader jim, dala yung "toot".  sa biyernes mo bisitahin kung libre ka.

Friday for sure..sisilipin ko yan. Brader Jim, punta ka din ha. Miss you na rin braders...parang madami kayong 'kekwento... ;D
Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: alvinh Room (October: little chunk updates on page 1)
« Reply #271 on: Oct 06, 2008 at 08:23 PM »
magaling nga yung links...parang back to school...informative...i'm not even halfway done yet.

nabasa mo na yung "the noisy audiophile"???
˙ ˙ ˙ ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp - ıp - ɯɐp

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #272 on: Oct 06, 2008 at 08:29 PM »

Nope..not yet...should I read that first? Basta hindi ako mapapamahal pag binasa ko, ok lang..babasahin ko...hehehe ;D ;D ;D
Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #273 on: Oct 06, 2008 at 08:30 PM »
Nope..not yet...should I read that first? Basta hindi ako mapapamahal pag binasa ko, ok lang..babasahin ko...hehehe ;D ;D ;D

naku po, hindi ano.  yun muna basahin mo.  andun yung sinasabi ko sayong path.

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Oct 06, 2008 at 08:33 PM »
naku po, hindi ano.  yun muna basahin mo.  andun yung sinasabi ko sayong path.

ahhhhh...okie...bedtime story ko yan mamya before meme...hehehehehe ;D

Offline sanmig_ph

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #275 on: Oct 06, 2008 at 09:54 PM »
Salamach Brader Joel...inunahan ko na ng rack para kontra kulam na agad. hehehehe. ;D
oy..alam mo bagay dyan sa indang pag taglamig?... ung umiinit na tubes. ;D ;D ;D

mainit dito samin brader ;D  hindi tulad sa tagaytay  8)

ang galing galing!  sige ganyan lang ng ganyan!  matututo ka din!

o ayan brader joel, hindi lang kami ni jim nagsasabi ha...mabuti pa basa basahin mo na yung mga links na binigay ko kay brader alvin...  ;D

MAGALING ! Magaling ! Magaling !

magaling kayo mangkulam ;D mga hunghang na kulamanians ;D

dam di dam di dam di dam ;D ;D ;D
He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 12:29 AM »

MIGHT AS WELL SHARE THIS WITH FELLOW MEMBERS:
This is a bit old considering the article date but i believe that the "meat" is still there.
Thanks for sharing this with me brader Jake.

The Noisy Audiophile

March 1996

One of the perpetual discussions audiophiles engage in is tubes vs. solid state. Preamps & amps come both ways and both have their enthusiastic supporters. I like the good things about "tube sound" and I like the good things about solid state equipment. Unfortunately, there is a down-side to each and I really dislike the downsides of tubes & solid state. As a prospective buyer of a preamp or amp you may be struck with uncertainty about what to buy after hearing both sides' arguments. One thing you may notice in tube vs. solid state discussions is that, as a group, tube-guys tend to be more passionate about their tube amps and preamps. They HAVE to be to put up with some of the "cons" of living with tubes. Solid state is a lot easier to live with, but many would argue that the price you pay for the livability is less emotional involvement in the music.

A look at the "high points" of the pro/con arguments for both types of hardware is a good place to start.

"Pro"-Tube arguments: they sound more like music; modern tube equipment is reliable (mostly); the essential midrange can be presented with almost magical "rightness"; highs sound smooth, floaty and pleasantly real; there are factories still producing all the popular tubes so supplies will be around for the foreseeable future; you seem to get more loudness from less watts with tube amps.

Tube -"Con" arguments include: tubes have to be replaced periodically (6 months to 2 years is common for preamps, 1 to 4 years is common for amps) and tubes can be expensive, ranging from $30 or so to retube a line stage preamp with 2 tubes, up to $500 of dollars for more complex tube preamps; amp re-tube pricing runs from perhaps $100 up to $1,000 for top of the line amps; tubes themselves are less reliable than equivalent solid state devices; different tubes make the component sound different, finding "the best" sounding tubes can become a pain and/or obsession; a few designs use obscure or hard to find tubes or very expensive tubes; tube designs are generally measurably "noisier" than comparable solid state designs (though this is not typically audible); some tube designs (amps mostly) leave breakable tubes exposed which may not fit some lifestyles (not a good idea around children for example); tube amps can make a lot of heat in a modest size room; deep bass from tube amps can be bettered by solid state designs; tube amps tend to be more expensive than solid state amps especially if comparing watts to watts; some speakers are difficult loads for some tube amps; if the amp is not "self biasing" (approximately a 50-50 chance) the owner will have to manually bias the tubes and some amps require that you provide your own volt meter to do this, if you aren't technically oriented this can be a challenge

Solid State - "Pro" arguments - low distortion; cool running (unless ultra high power or pure class A); highly reliable; no fussing with replacement tubes; excellent control/performance in the deep bass; very quiet; the best designs can be very musical; good designs can drive virtually any speaker made.

Solid State - "Cons" - many designs are not particularly musical sounding; highs can tend to be too edgy to sound natural in many designs (yes there are exceptions); usually don't do soundstage depth & width as well as tubes; some solid state designs sound "slow" when directly compared to tube designs in the same system/room; most solid state designs never quite achieve the same level of musicality (how enjoyable the music sounds) that good tube designs achieve (there are a few exceptions to this now and more come as time passes)
Both tubes and solid state benefit greatly from careful selection of associated equipment. There are amp-preamp combos in both categories which range from terrible to wonderful. Tube and solid state components both benefit from careful selection of the wires you use to connect them to each other and to the rest of your system.

Weighing the pros and cons isn't an easy job. Each person is likely to reach a decision for different reasons. But most people fail to consider a choice that might just be the BEST answer of all. What about having tubes AND solid state? Not too many high end companies make both kinds of equipment, so a mix-and-match approach might be necessary. That's OK as long as it is done carefully.
How do you mix tubes and solid state? Solid state preamp and tube amp or tube preamp and solid state amp? My personal opinion is that a solid state preamp combined with a tube amp brings the worst of both technologies into sharper focus. You drive a tube amp with a low distortion, wide frequency range audio signal with perfect bass performance and the tube amp will reproduce the (probably) lifeless midrange, make the bass less good that it was when it left the preamp and not be able to "fix" the less than pristine/delicate highs the solid state preamp is likely to make.

That leaves tube preamp and solid state amp combinations. This is where magic and musical happiness just might be waiting for you. There are a couple of "ifs". You really will need to look hard for a tube preamp that minimizes the "tube-cons". And you will have to look equally hard for a solid state amp that is head and shoulders above what is accepted as "normal" sound from solid state amps. I'll admit that lots of solid state amps have no soul. They rob music of the fun and the joy. This tends to be something you don't notice while you are shopping. You get hyped up by the dealer and listen to all the detail and the power in the bass and you forget to keep checking your EMOTIONAL reaction to the music. If you find yourself listening to an amp or preamp and getting all worked up about the detail it reproduces and how much better it sounds than what you are using now, force yourself to chill out and take your EMOTIONAL temperature. Are you hot for the MUSIC or hot for the detail or other technical performance parameter. I promise you that the MUSIC is more important by a factor of 10 or more.

When you combine a tube preamp with a solid state amp, you have an opportunity to combine the best attributes of both designs. Late model tube preamps are better than ever at doing deep bass and extended sweet & natural highs. Newer solid state amps drive even difficult speakers while providing authoritative bass performance. The magical tube midrange, soundstage size, "air" and overall musicality from a great preamp passes directly to a low distortion solid state amp which maintains/retains a great measure of the good tube qualities in its output. This can be a match made in heaven if the preamp and amp are selected correctly.

How do you find a tube - solid state pair that work really well together? Shop, listen, ask, read, and don't pre-judge a component only on someone else's experience. Shop at reputable dealers (see another article I wrote for Soundstage! describing how to find the right kind of dealer - see It's All the Same, Isn't It?). Listen to what dealers have to say, but maintain objectivity. Ask other audiophiles you know about their opinions - but remember, those are just 1 person's opinion. Read high end magazines (see the same previous Soundstage! article). When you read, understand that the reviewer will generally be exposed to a lot more equipment, rooms and setups than average audiophiles. Take the reviewer's opinions with a bit more weight - but maintain objectivity. Remember that even reviewers have prejudices that may or may not match yours. Avoid falling into the reviewer-is-guru trap. They might know more than you about high end audio, but their knowledge may or may not be important to your selection process - depends on how closely the reviewer's goals/likes match yours. Collect information, but don't try to solve the problem until you have some listening experiences under your belt.

Remember that listening experiences in different rooms with different equipment can be quite different from what will happen in your room. Try to get loaners or moneyback return privileges or at least even-money trade-ins for other equipment the dealer sells if you make a bad choice. Eventually a pattern will emerge that will have you favoring the performance of a select few components. When you get that close, your work is done... buy something, take it home and enjoy the music.

Here's an example of how this can be trouble-but-worth-it. My favorite tube preamp - solid state amp combination happens to be the one I own. No surprise probably. But if I tell you that the Audible Illusions Modulus 3 or 3A preamp and OCM-500 amp (or OCM-200) sound fantastic together, you are going to have a heck of a time hearing these 2 together at the same place at the same time. There aren't all that many dealers that carry both brands. Then you need to remember to have the dealer use Kimber KCAG interconnect (or something equal/better) to connect the two. And listen to the amp using a Cardas Hex 5C power cord if possible. Now we are really getting into the small percentages of being able to hear this exact combination anywhere but in my listening room. No, you can't invite yourself over for a listen! (-: This is just 1 example of the difficulties involved in the search process.

Approach this as a long term project. Take your time. Don't make snap decisions. Enjoy the process. That's half the fun of exploring high end audio. The other half is when you finally get your system set up and the music brings a tear to your eye or a smile to your face.
.....The Noisy Audiophile
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2008 at 12:30 AM by alvinh »

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #277 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 04:09 AM »
brader, tumitindi na ang research natin a ...... pero, nice read ano?  :D :D :D
yang si Don Jake, andaming naka line-up na links yan sa kanyang computer .....  :D

50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 07:13 AM »
MIGHT AS WELL SHARE THIS WITH FELLOW MEMBERS:
This is a bit old considering the article date but i believe that the "meat" is still there.
Thanks for sharing this with me brader Jake.

The Noisy Audiophile

March 1996

that really is a note worthy article alvin...another PDVD member infact gave me that link, brader macdon.  thanks to him!

Offline XXXyzledge

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • NO more CEBU PACIFIC flights for me!
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 08:33 AM »
nice article!

so.... abangan namin sa friday ang testi/decision mo ha!  ;D ;D ;D
Cayin, RS1, Velo, QED, Bada         Sony4K, HK, B&W, SVS, Oppo, LaZboy....

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 09:23 AM »
brader, tumitindi na ang research natin a ...... pero, nice read ano?  :D :D :D
yang si Don Jake, andaming naka line-up na links yan sa kanyang computer .....  :D

Yes brader Jess. Half the fun for me is learning kasi eh. I'm also the type who likes to read the "manuals". Quite the geeky side of me... ;D
Ibang league na kasi 'tong mundo nyong mga idols...audio purist....e ako hanggang mango puree lang. hehehehe. ;D ;D

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 09:26 AM »
that really is a note worthy article alvin...another PDVD member infact gave me that link, brader macdon.  thanks to him!

Thanks din brader Macdon! ;D

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 09:36 AM »
nice article!

so.... abangan namin sa friday ang testi/decision mo ha!  ;D ;D ;D

Brader idol Jim...dami pa kasi articles na babasahin...meron pang bagong twist sa path na 'to...see you Friday...for Q and A portion ng journey. Blind test din...hindi muna titingin at baka lalong dumami ang research...Read mo last paragraph ng article...hehehe. ;D ;D ;D

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 09:39 AM »
ahhh...yan ang madalas na pagkakamali ng karamihan katulad ko.  kaya't inuulit ko ang huli kong payo...
audition, audition, audition.  libre lang naman yun, alang bayad!

trust your ears and your senses!  hmmmm...teka, ikaw ang may golden ears eh!  ikaw dapat magturo sa amin!  ;D

Offline XXXyzledge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #284 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 10:43 AM »
last paragraph is the most sensible often bypassed
by excited shoppers!  ;D ;D ;D

bro,
ganda ng av rack mo!

ganda rin nung naka-hibernate mong infinity ah!

congrats!

Offline Marl☆1

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ride Hard.
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 11:08 AM »
... that leaves tube preamp and solid state amp combinations. This is where magic and musical happiness just might be waiting for you...

When you combine a tube preamp with a solid state amp, you have an opportunity to combine the best attributes of both designs.

Excellent article Alvin.  +1 on that.  Got this idea of combining an SS amp and Tube preamp from Elmo (Watthifi) and he said it's the current 'craze' so to speak.  Sampled this model with a Musical Fidelity amp (A3CR) and a nifty Dared preamp (SL-2000) and I just loved the combo! The power and control of SS coupled with the warmth and involvement of tubes - magical!  ;)

I've already tried an all tube and all SS set-up but this has a certain quality which escapes the homogeneous set-ups.  Worth to try buds!  ;)  Thanks for sharin' Alvin!

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 11:20 AM »
ahhh...yan ang madalas na pagkakamali ng karamihan katulad ko.  kaya't inuulit ko ang huli kong payo...
audition, audition, audition.  libre lang naman yun, alang bayad!

trust your ears and your senses!  hmmmm...teka, ikaw ang may golden ears eh!  ikaw dapat magturo sa amin!  ;D

I agree naman...kaya lang, imagine bringing your kid to Toy Kingdom...then come home with nothing. Ang sakit nun! Ako yung kid...hehehehe ;D

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 11:32 AM »
last paragraph is the most sensible often bypassed
by excited shoppers!  ;D ;D ;D

bro,
ganda ng av rack mo!

ganda rin nung naka-hibernate mong infinity ah!

congrats!

Kaya nga...bibili ako ng notebook mamya sa National Bookstore at madami akong notes...planning to do this frojek slowly but surely...e kayo din naman tatanungin ko...hehehehe. tsalamat brader Jim...kaya lang si Infinity e kulang sa lalim...kulang sa dive ika nga...but ok cya for strings...guitar, etc. ;D

Offline XXXyzledge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #288 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 12:00 PM »
I agree naman...kaya lang, imagine bringing your kid to Toy Kingdom...then come home with nothing. Ang sakit nun! Ako yung kid...hehehehe ;D

hahahahaha !!!
wawa naman yung bata o !!!  ;D ;D ;D

Kaya nga...bibili ako ng notebook mamya sa National Bookstore at madami akong notes...planning to do this frojek slowly but surely...e kayo din naman tatanungin ko...hehehehe. tsalamat brader Jim...kaya lang si Infinity e kulang sa lalim...kulang sa dive ika nga...but ok cya for strings...guitar, etc. ;D

eh di ibabalik mo yang infinity k ed?
notebook ---> laptop...
yan ang baunin mo! para complete with pix & internet reference sites!  ;D

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 12:06 PM »
hahahahaha !!!
wawa naman yung bata o !!!  ;D ;D ;D

eh di ibabalik mo yang infinity k ed?
notebook ---> laptop...
yan ang baunin mo! para complete with pix & internet reference sites!  ;D

Hindi na...baka mapagod yung infinity..pabalik-balik...at least na break-in na daw sabi ni ed...meron lang daw kulang na frequency..hehehe ;D
meron naman possible sfeakurs...pinapag-aralan pa...matagal-tagal pa 'to...will see...early October pa lang naman di ba?  ;D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #290 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 12:17 PM »

Tama kasi the fun part in buying is the auditioning ;) Esp may pambili ka na ;D Slow but surely is the way to go para iwas buy and sell ;D

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 12:52 PM »
Tama kasi the fun part in buying is the auditioning ;) Esp may pambili ka na ;D Slow but surely is the way to go para iwas buy and sell ;D

naku brader ricky..kung meron ng pambili, i'll just do a "J" move and "just buy them all" para wala ng analogy-analogy. Gold speaker selector na lang ang e-add ko at complete na yung system..hehehe. ;D

I agree..audition talaga...I'm just talking myself out of it at matagal pa naman bago mag-Pasko. Baka mapaaga ang exchange gift. hehehe ;D
I'm just here nga at Ortigas Center...5 mins away from Libis/C5 kung traffic...2 minutes when excited.  :o

Offline JAQY888

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 01:18 PM »
Yes brader Jess. Half the fun for me is learning kasi eh. I'm also the type who likes to read the "manuals". Quite the geeky side of me... ;D
Ibang league na kasi 'tong mundo nyong mga idols...audio purist....e ako hanggang mango puree lang. hehehehe. ;D ;D

hahahahah ..... nakupo, pareho lang po ang mundo natin .... puro mga mangkus e.

Agreed, reading articles such as the one provided by Don Jake really helps. Actually, si Don Jake ang may maraming payo para sa aming mga bata pa. Makikinig dapat tayo sa payo ng nakakatanda, di ba?  ;D ;D ;D
50pv70;AX200E
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline JAQY888

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 01:20 PM »
Excellent article Alvin.  +1 on that.  Got this idea of combining an SS amp and Tube preamp from Elmo (Watthifi) and he said it's the current 'craze' so to speak.  Sampled this model with a Musical Fidelity amp (A3CR) and a nifty Dared preamp (SL-2000) and I just loved the combo! The power and control of SS coupled with the warmth and involvement of tubes - magical!  ;)

I've already tried an all tube and all SS set-up but this has a certain quality which escapes the homogeneous set-ups.  Worth to try buds!  ;)  Thanks for sharin' Alvin!

Great info there, Jasper. Been trying to get hold of Elmo these past few days, but seems like he's busy "setting up" somewhere down "south" .....  ;D ;D ;D
'di kaya sa inyo yun?  :D :D :D
50pv70;AX200E
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 01:28 PM »
Great info there, Jasper. Been trying to get hold of Elmo these past few days, but seems like he's busy "setting up" somewhere down "south" .....  ;D ;D ;D
'di kaya sa inyo yun?  :D :D :D

As in malapit sa Sucat, Alabang...BF? Baka naman Santa Rosa...south pa? akyat ng Indang, Cavite?

Offline JAQY888

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 01:40 PM »
As in malapit sa Sucat, Alabang...BF? Baka naman Santa Rosa...south pa? akyat ng Indang, Cavite?

BF raw muna ...... tapos SRE2 ...... last stop Indang .......  ;D ;D ;D
50pv70;AX200E
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline ǝʞɐɾ ʎzzɐɾ

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 13 x 3 = 1 O O !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #296 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 01:52 PM »
naku wag niyo masyado gambalain si brader joel.  ayun mukhang masarap na ang tulog!  alang imik eh!

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 01:58 PM »
BF raw muna ...... tapos SRE2 ...... last stop Indang .......  ;D ;D ;D

Buti na lang nasa Ortigas ako. hehehehehe ;D

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 02:00 PM »
naku wag niyo masyado gambalain si brader joel.  ayun mukhang masarap na ang tulog!  alang imik eh!

aba e, nag call center hours si brader joel kagabi...mukhang graveyard shift ng kulam...kaya ayan...alas dos na tulog pa! ;D

Offline JAQY888

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: Oct 07, 2008 at 02:04 PM »
Buti na lang nasa Ortigas ako. hehehehehe ;D

ay, oo nga pala ...... 'di bale, na text ko na ..... nag-U-turn na ..... ortigas raw muna bago sila mag-south .......  ;D ;D ;D
50pv70;AX200E
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15